Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BlindSite posted:

What Cam doesn't have that those dudes do is a non horrendous offensive line (seattles is at least bad not terrible) and an offensive coordinator that's not a blithering loving retard.

You have not watched a Seattle game this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

MJBuddy posted:

Which bad player are you specifically highlighting?

Also I know we all hate the "Cam Newton = Andy Dalton" thing but
code:
19	Cam Newton, QB	CAR	137	228	60.1	1,643	7.21	8	4	17	86.6	235
20	Andy Dalton, QB	CIN	142	217	65.4	1,641	7.56	6	4	7	89.7	234
A.Dalton DYAR: 162 DVOA: .1% Rank 18/18
Newton DYAR: 158 DVOA: -.9% Rank 20/19.

I love that every year these guys just produce at the exact same rate. A stupid joke like 2 years ago just delivers every week. This is Joe Flacco/Matt Ryan all over again but neither of these guys will ever not suck.

I am terrified of Andy Daltons running ability and

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Chichevache posted:

You have not watched a Seattle game this year.

The one seattle game we probably have seen had russell looking pretty loving lovely so idk

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BlindSite posted:

Cam also got 0 help from his receivers today. There were plenty of balls he drove way too hard and sailed, but I counted 7 passes that either hit guys in the hands or chest and ended up incomplete.

There's no excuse for failing to convert those early turnovers, but goddamn when it goes through your hands, hits you in the chest and goes incomplete it's on the receiver.

The receivers have been better than that for the most part this year and the run game at least wasn't horrendous when Stewart was on the field, goddamn that dude can run through a tackle.

It's obvious what Carolina needs, Greg Hardy back, Roman Harper dead and to drop all their draft picks into offensive lineman.

Throwing the ball REALLY loving HARD makes it hard to catch. Ask Favre or Aaron Brooks. Joe Horn was literally the only rear end in a top hat on the Saints who could handle his stupid passes. Throwing it really hard and high doesn't help. If you look at their stats you can see a lot of similarities: clusters closer to 60% comp (Brooks lower, Favre higher), ~230 yds/game, ~86 passer rating (brooks lower, but discount his fall-off-the-earth years and that's about right).

My only point here being that you really hamstring your receivers a bit when you can't throw them something they can catch. Sure they're NFL Pros who need to make the catch and so forth, and those arguments are fine for getting mad but they're really bad for winning football games with cheap guys at receiver who help bolster your team.

And I really don't think Stewart has been good since 2011.

But yeah I agree on Roman Harper sucking and investing in linemen; Hardy isn't something you actually want, though. You've got a decent DE potential guy who is cheap as hell and a really expensive guy on the other side, so paying Hardy's ransom for him to do something else dumb isn't worth it.

waah posted:

I am terrified of Andy Daltons running ability and

I'm not as terrified of Cam's running ability as I should be, since it basically just leads to him splitting up blood and grabbing injured wrists and cracking ribs and playing like poo poo. So let him run and get 1 TD and then throw for 70 yards - every team in the NFL will take that.

E: Don't get me wrong on his ability; he's an amazing runner, but taking hits like him has worked out as an NFL strategy for QBs a grand total of never.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 31, 2014

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Throwing it really hard also leads to probably more deflected interceptions. Not a stat wizard here but imo its true.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
To be fair it is completely unfair to compare Cam's receiving targets to Dalton's. AJ Green could lose his thumbs and still make the roster for the Panthers. Mo Sanu was responsible for at least 10% of Andy's completion percentage last Sunday. I don't think it's fair to make sweeping judgements of a QB's ability based on the perceived strengths of a roster* but it is fair to say that Dalton is in a much, much better situation than Cam.

*Particularly because no one seems to have an accurate read on the Bengals. They're still being described as a smash mouth team despite being near bottom of the league in the run and run defense.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm sure the texans or the jets will give him plenty of support.

:sigh: I can only dream

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

To be fair it is completely unfair to compare Cam's receiving targets to Dalton's. AJ Green could lose his thumbs and still make the roster for the Panthers. Mo Sanu was responsible for at least 10% of Andy's completion percentage last Sunday. I don't think it's fair to make sweeping judgements of a QB's ability based on the perceived strengths of a roster* but it is fair to say that Dalton is in a much, much better situation than Cam.

*Particularly because no one seems to have an accurate read on the Bengals. They're still being described as a smash mouth team despite being near bottom of the league in the run and run defense.

No WR in the history of the world is catching a lot of those balls, unless Inspector Gadget played a little college ball not sure.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Silly Burrito posted:

Nice to see you, Roman Harper.

:stonk:

I didn't watch the game, did Graham's spine turn to powder?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

Throwing the ball REALLY loving HARD makes it hard to catch. Ask Favre or Aaron Brooks. Joe Horn was literally the only rear end in a top hat on the Saints who could handle his stupid passes. Throwing it really hard and high doesn't help. If you look at their stats you can see a lot of similarities: clusters closer to 60% comp (Brooks lower, Favre higher), ~230 yds/game, ~86 passer rating (brooks lower, but discount his fall-off-the-earth years and that's about right).

Your job as a receiver is literally to catch the loving ball and they practice with machines that fire it out harder than a human can throw it.

If the ball hits you in the hands you catch it.

Ever heard of a game called cricket? Dudes catch a ball a quarter of the size going at over 120 kmh. There's no excuse for dropping a ball that hits you in the hands in week 8 of the regular season after you've spent months training with Cam. The speed of Cam's passes is just another example of you picking anything to talk the guy down.

I'm starting to think Cam could cure cancer and you'd post some bullshit about Aids still existing.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Lol at comparing a cricket ball to a football. Great stuff.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
whoa 120 thats faster than nolan ryan!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Did you know people also catch basketballs, which are different than footballs? It's true! Another type of ball people catch is baseballs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Did you know people also catch basketballs, which are different than footballs? It's true! Another type of ball people catch is baseballs.

Sometimes your mom catches my balls in her mouth. :smugdog:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Gerty posted:

whoa 120 thats faster than nolan ryan!

In goofy land maybe, thats basically as fast as that girl from the little league world series throws!!!! cricket players throw like girls

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ramadu posted:

In goofy land maybe, thats basically as fast as that girl from the little league world series throws!!!! cricket players throw like girls

I would much rather take a fastball to the chest from an MLB pitcher at the specified range than take a softball to the chest from an accomplished college player at their range.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

1. It gives us the lead in the NFC South.

2. It brings us to .500.
gently caress what a bad division.
(lol 7-9 div champs represent)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I wish the Bengals had a weak division.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Tzen posted:

gently caress what a bad division.
(lol 7-9 div champs represent)

Man. I still can't believe the turnaround the NFC West has made. 7 and loving 9 won that division and now it's probably the toughest division and even the freaking Rams are becoming competent

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It was pretty easy to see the Panthers were going to decline this season.

Vegas only had them at 7 wins in the offseason.

No offensive line. Mediocre RBs. A whole new WR corp. Whole new poo poo secondary.

The writing was on the wall for this to happen during the off season.

The Panthers are done.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Defense played great last night. I know brees is terrible away from the dome or whatever, and there was an especially horse poo poo turnover on that first drive, but I can't imagine anyone being upset with them for this. This is about the best you can hope for from a secondary starting Roman Harper and Colin Jones. Again, the Harper/Decoud experiment has flamed out hideously, with Roman once again having a player dead to right in the the flats and being unable to do anything about it. This was the 3rd down TD pass to Graham where he didn't stand a chance. Cason has a habit of giving up big plays at the worst possible time, and doing just enough to get beat. The PI was ridiculous. I'm shocked they weren't playing prevent there, but every defense should be expecting a deep throw in the hopes of a flag. I'm also not sure how he didn't break up that graham touchdown on the quick out. just a bad night all around.

The offense fell apart. Cam had an awful night, and on the throws he did make he wasn't helped out at all. I'll need to rewatch the game since I was at a bar pounding beers the entire time (thanks for the bday gift you assholes) but this was just a total collapse. All phases of the offense sucked tonight. No one thing stood out as the spoon that stirred the poo poo drink.

The worst loving part about this team is they're still in great position to win the south. New Orleans is awful and they have a cakewalk schedule coming up. If only they had the sand to fire Shula and just start over on offense, Ron could probably piece together a defense good enough to win the division. Sadly, Rivera would probably rather lose with his people than win with someone else's (lol john fox all over again) and they'll stumble to like a 7-8-1 record.

Ugh. UGH.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

FizFashizzle posted:

Defense played great last night. I know brees is terrible away from the dome or whatever, and there was an especially horse poo poo turnover on that first drive, but I can't imagine anyone being upset with them for this. This is about the best you can hope for from a secondary starting Roman Harper and Colin Jones. Again, the Harper/Decoud experiment has flamed out hideously, with Roman once again having a player dead to right in the the flats and being unable to do anything about it. This was the 3rd down TD pass to Graham where he didn't stand a chance. Cason has a habit of giving up big plays at the worst possible time, and doing just enough to get beat. The PI was ridiculous. I'm shocked they weren't playing prevent there, but every defense should be expecting a deep throw in the hopes of a flag. I'm also not sure how he didn't break up that graham touchdown on the quick out. just a bad night all around.

The offense fell apart. Cam had an awful night, and on the throws he did make he wasn't helped out at all. I'll need to rewatch the game since I was at a bar pounding beers the entire time (thanks for the bday gift you assholes) but this was just a total collapse. All phases of the offense sucked tonight. No one thing stood out as the spoon that stirred the poo poo drink.

The worst loving part about this team is they're still in great position to win the south. New Orleans is awful and they have a cakewalk schedule coming up. If only they had the sand to fire Shula and just start over on offense, Ron could probably piece together a defense good enough to win the division. Sadly, Rivera would probably rather lose with his people than win with someone else's (lol john fox all over again) and they'll stumble to like a 7-8-1 record.

Ugh. UGH.

yeah you guys got hosed hard by injuries, kelvin benjamin is the real deal and the WR corps worries that plagued the preseason will be far from the biggest problem when you're healthy. panthers are much better than the record indicated but idk what the gently caress to think of the saints or cowboys anymore beyond "wildly inconsistent." which is us too right now, whereas last year we played in top form every game, this year we seemingly play to each team's level

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Eifert Posting posted:

I wish the Bengals had a weak division.

Tell me about it, we are 4-3 the first time in like 7 years and still are dead last

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Glad to see us win one on the road but beating this Carolina team doesn't really mean we were awesome at all.

The division is still wide open as far as I am concerned. NO could easily fall off a cliff with any injury issues I bet.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Is it just me or does Cam not have any ability to float a pass over a defender and have it drop right into a receiver's hands? The guy can throw an anti-aircraft ball, but he sure doesn't seem to have much touch on the ball.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

zimbomonkey posted:

I don't think I've ever been this tired of football at midseason. Thanks, Panthers.

Just go into full tank mode please. We're done.

What does one normally do with these threads as an OP? I don't know. gently caress.

I'm gonna go start drinking. This is the goddamn thread.

I can't imagine this is worse than the Jimmy Clausen experience.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BlindSite posted:

Your job as a receiver is literally to catch the loving ball and they practice with machines that fire it out harder than a human can throw it.

If the ball hits you in the hands you catch it.

The speed of Cam's passes is just another example of you picking anything to talk the guy down.

Dude your receivers are bad. If you can't adjust your game to improve their ability to do anything, it's doesn't mean it's not their fault, but come the gently caress do you watch these games? The lack of touch Cam has is a real concern, and my only point via stats here is me trying to estimate how much of an effect it actually has.

If you put Gronk on your team, he can zip it all day, but there are pro bowl receivers who wouldn't be able to catch these balls, even though it's their job.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Kelvin Benjamin is a freaking monster. He looks like the next Vincent Jackson goddamn I'm jealous

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

A.o.D. posted:

Is it just me or does Cam not have any ability to float a pass over a defender and have it drop right into a receiver's hands? The guy can throw an anti-aircraft ball, but he sure doesn't seem to have much touch on the ball.

He absolutely does, and he's shown it plenty of times in his years in the league already (the pass over the top to Cotchery hit him in stride, though it was a great catch).

Last night was just a horrible game from him though, as others have said.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Kelvin Benjamin is a freaking monster. He looks like the next Vincent Jackson goddamn I'm jealous

While I agree that he's awesome, he also had a poo poo game last night.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ozymandius1024 posted:

While I agree that he's awesome, he also had a poo poo game last night.

As high as Cam Newton was throwing his passes, Yao Ming would have had a hard time going up and getting them.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ozymandius1024 posted:

He absolutely does, and he's shown it plenty of times in his years in the league already (the pass over the top to Cotchery hit him in stride, though it was a great catch).

He had a higher QBR from last night than his two previous games. I don't love QBR so not entirely sure what to make of that exactly, given this could be the worst game of his career as a passer.

It might just be the fumbles in the last game, and that those fumbles came in horrible locations (like the one from last night in Saints red zone), but who knows with that rating.

I hope Cam doesn't improve (as a Panther) because it's basically been three years now of waiting for the shoe to drop and see him complete his game and destroy us all, but it's felt like that with Kaep and Wilson too and when he's playing RG3, so I'm not sure what it takes to complete that game, or who will be able to do it of those 4.

E: Saints look like they didn't participate in postgame interviews because they are mad about TNF scheduling after the SNF game. I think the idea of every TNF match up coming off of a bye the week before and having two bye sessions of the season would be an excellent, low hanging improvement for every teak regarding the quality of game played and the players recovery throughout the season.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 31, 2014

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I was at Rifftrax live instead of watching the game, which seems to have been a good call. Weird to see Benjamin with only 2 catches -- was he not targeted much, Cam being terrible, or all around offensive badness?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'd take cam over Kaep and it's not even close to me.

Cam is getting little help from the players and coaching staff around him. They have two solid pieces to a passing game- they just need everything else

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Asnorban posted:

I was at Rifftrax live instead of watching the game, which seems to have been a good call. Weird to see Benjamin with only 2 catches -- was he not targeted much, Cam being terrible, or all around offensive badness?

Your last 2 options. Benjamin got several more targets (ESPN reports a total of 10, with only 2 catches), but a lot of the passes were overthrown.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Cam is getting little help from the players and coaching staff around him. They have two solid pieces to a passing game- they just need everything else

My gut agrees, but I don't think Cam has made anywhere near the rate of improvement he should have at this point. Screen grabs of two minute drills against the horrible Chicago pass defense in prevent not withstanding.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That may have been the worst I have ever seen Cam Newton play. Holy poo poo, almost none of those passes were capable of being caught, even if the receiver was Mr. Fantastic.

This season is a wash outside of getting to see Benjamin develop. The worst part is knowing that the entire coaching staff will learn nothing and no one will be fired, especially Shula.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

MJBuddy posted:

My gut agrees, but I don't think Cam has made anywhere near the rate of improvement he should have at this point. Screen grabs of two minute drills against the horrible Chicago pass defense in prevent not withstanding.

It's hard to progress with no rum game no o line and one receiver

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Kap has a tortoise though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I'd take neither lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's hard to progress with no rum game no o line and one receiver

Counter: Matt Ryan last year

Also, Aaron Rodgers 2009

• Locked thread