Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
why the gently caress did morgoth steal the silmarils if they burned him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

amuayse posted:

why the gently caress did morgoth steal the silmarils if they burned him

he's a nihilist. he believes in nothing.

also, he wanted to ruin the world more than he wanted to have full use of his hands, and the silmarils are so beautiful only the pure of heart can avoid wanting them

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
why didnt they just nuke it? hm?

wizard that n-words

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
hmm why didnt the eagles fly the ring into the heart of mordor literally at eye level to a gigantic psychic death ray eye hmmmmmm

hmm i wonder if the ring which is actually sentient would have been like "lol" and just fallen out of the eagle claw a mile from Sauron hmmmmm

hmm do you think the ring wraiths would have had some tactical advantage intercepting eagles in the doom ash directly in front of the insane eye of their hell god as they pursued literally the one thing they were made for hmmmm

hmm i wonder why the ring wraiths didnt zero in on the ring as frodo carried it even though multiple reasons they couldnt do this are explicitly stated thousands of times across the books from beginning to end hmmmm

good thread lots of mysteries gang

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

why didn't Eru come down and tell the elves to stop killing each other ffs. I mean Eru did kill 90% of humans during the fall of Numenor and after that he quit because he got depressed

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

amuayse posted:

why didn't Eru come down and tell the elves to stop killing each other ffs. I mean Eru did kill 90% of humans during the fall of Numenor and after that he quit because he got depressed

nah, he teleported them all to another world, and put ar-pharazon and his army into hibernation until dagor dagorath whatever tolkien was thinking about to replace dagor dagorath.

but in any case, the whole of arda is a lengthy lesson directed at morgoth and the other valar, where morgoth is taught that he can't actually ruin things for other people, and the other valar are taught valuable lessons about the importance of non-interference.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

p sure if harry potter had a 9mm glock he coulda popped voldemort in the dome without much hassle too

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LifeSizePotato posted:

p sure if harry potter had a 9mm glock he coulda popped voldemort in the dome without much hassle too

Wizards are probably, like, naturally immune to regular bullets or something, or they can throw up a quick impenetrable shield charm or some poo poo

curses are cooler anyway

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

LifeSizePotato posted:

Didn't Rowling say a dude with a shotgun can gently caress up a wizard. want to see a wizard with a shotgun now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCj4o8JyAAk

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 31, 2014

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

if you want to take out a wizard, just use a high powered sniper rifle. look at harry dresden for example.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Plafop posted:

Frodo wasn't able to throw it away, he bitched out at the last moment just like Isildur.

Hobbits are dumb enough to walk all the way there and change their minds at the very end.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Tricky D posted:

This.

Only hobbits, the idealized English country gentleman, had the perfect balance of incorruptibility and noblesse oblige to be given ultimate power and be able to throw it away for the good of civilization.

Also Harry Potter. All that little bro ever wanted was his mom and dad.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Stealthgerbil posted:

if you want to take out a wizard, just use a high powered sniper rifle. look at harry dresden for example.
lol wizards are frail effete motherfuckers.. you could take out the avg wizard with a .22

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ugh. It annoys me every time someone brings this up, i.e. "Why didn't an eagle just fly the Ring into Mount Doom?"

The reason the Ringbearer did not fly to Mordor by Eagle is fairly simple: the purpose of the Fellowship of the Ring and the linchpin of the entire strategy decided on in Rivendell was to destroy the Ring in a mission of secrecy.

Taking the Eagles might have worked, I will grant that. It may have been a successful mission and allowed the Ring to be destroyed earlier than it "actually" was. However, it would have sacrificed secrecy and drastically increased the changes of the Ring being captured. When you have the fate of the world hanging in the balance, you don’t want to take any unnecessary chances.

Eagles are, clearly, far more noticeable than Hobbits or other travelers on foot. We don’t know how exactly Gandalf planned to get into Mordor, but we can surmise that they would have gone through a mountain pass or valley some where. We know of only three (the Morannon, Cirith Ungol, and the Nameless Pass), but it stands to reason that there were more. Not ideal ones, perhaps (though Cirith Ungol itself was not ideal), but mountains are not impenetrable and continuous walls of rock.

An Eagle flying through the air would be easily noticed by Orcs or other watchers (remember the sinister and sorcerous ones at the Tower of Cirith Ungol – there might have been more). Travelers on foot could sneak around much more easily, scout ahead (especially with a ranger), and slip by unnoticed (remember how quiet hobbits are?). The Eagles might have been able to slip by unnoticed, but it would have become far more likely that they would have been caught. Once inside Mordor (if they even make it), there is still the chance that the Eagles could be caught. There are the threats of the Nazgul’s fell beasts, and archers (the Eagles in The Hobbit were afraid of shepherds with bows, so one can imagine how they might react to trained soldiers).

The "classic" Eagle plan, (i.e. simply flying to Mount Doom and dropping the Ring into it), would not work for a couple of reasons. First, the Ring could not just be dropped into the caldera; it had to be taken into the Crack of Doom itself: the center of Sauron’s sorcererous powers. The Crack of Doom was at the end of a tunnel that bored into the mountainside, and an Eagle would likely not fit inside, so it would have to bring have a rider. This would limit the height to which it could fly (the rider would need to breathe) and its agility during a fight. Yet more possibilities for failure. Second, a giant Eagle landing on the slope of Mount Doom would be quickly evident to any troops stationed there. A small group of people on foot might be able to sneak up unnoticed. Again, the Eagle plan might work, but it increases the chances of being caught.

In conclusion, the Council of Elrond did not know exactly what to expect in Mordor, so they had to plan for the worst (i.e., assume the worst case scenario for each possible solution). The Fellowship plan was itself a very long shot and indeed, it failed in its original conception, though obviously a fragment of the Fellowship persisted. The Eagle plan raises such a host of potential issues and problems that I think it is quite understandable why the Council opted to send people on foot. As I mentioned at the beginning, their concern was stealth, not speed.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Ugh. It annoys me every time someone brings this up, i.e. "Why didn't an eagle just fly the Ring into Mount Doom?"

The reason the Ringbearer did not fly to Mordor by Eagle is fairly simple: the purpose of the Fellowship of the Ring and the linchpin of the entire strategy decided on in Rivendell was to destroy the Ring in a mission of secrecy.

Taking the Eagles might have worked, I will grant that. It may have been a successful mission and allowed the Ring to be destroyed earlier than it "actually" was. However, it would have sacrificed secrecy and drastically increased the changes of the Ring being captured. When you have the fate of the world hanging in the balance, you don’t want to take any unnecessary chances.

Eagles are, clearly, far more noticeable than Hobbits or other travelers on foot. We don’t know how exactly Gandalf planned to get into Mordor, but we can surmise that they would have gone through a mountain pass or valley some where. We know of only three (the Morannon, Cirith Ungol, and the Nameless Pass), but it stands to reason that there were more. Not ideal ones, perhaps (though Cirith Ungol itself was not ideal), but mountains are not impenetrable and continuous walls of rock.

An Eagle flying through the air would be easily noticed by Orcs or other watchers (remember the sinister and sorcerous ones at the Tower of Cirith Ungol – there might have been more). Travelers on foot could sneak around much more easily, scout ahead (especially with a ranger), and slip by unnoticed (remember how quiet hobbits are?). The Eagles might have been able to slip by unnoticed, but it would have become far more likely that they would have been caught. Once inside Mordor (if they even make it), there is still the chance that the Eagles could be caught. There are the threats of the Nazgul’s fell beasts, and archers (the Eagles in The Hobbit were afraid of shepherds with bows, so one can imagine how they might react to trained soldiers).

The "classic" Eagle plan, (i.e. simply flying to Mount Doom and dropping the Ring into it), would not work for a couple of reasons. First, the Ring could not just be dropped into the caldera; it had to be taken into the Crack of Doom itself: the center of Sauron’s sorcererous powers. The Crack of Doom was at the end of a tunnel that bored into the mountainside, and an Eagle would likely not fit inside, so it would have to bring have a rider. This would limit the height to which it could fly (the rider would need to breathe) and its agility during a fight. Yet more possibilities for failure. Second, a giant Eagle landing on the slope of Mount Doom would be quickly evident to any troops stationed there. A small group of people on foot might be able to sneak up unnoticed. Again, the Eagle plan might work, but it increases the chances of being caught.

In conclusion, the Council of Elrond did not know exactly what to expect in Mordor, so they had to plan for the worst (i.e., assume the worst case scenario for each possible solution). The Fellowship plan was itself a very long shot and indeed, it failed in its original conception, though obviously a fragment of the Fellowship persisted. The Eagle plan raises such a host of potential issues and problems that I think it is quite understandable why the Council opted to send people on foot. As I mentioned at the beginning, their concern was stealth, not speed.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

um matoi ryuko, that was actually really rude. he's just trying to contribute to the discussion :colbert:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

um matoi ryuko, that was actually really rude. he's just trying to contribute to the discussion :colbert:

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
i read all your poo poo shitlord and i agree

the biggest :psyduck: with LOTR isnt why some autistic eagle-ring divebomb scheme didn't occur, but how the witch king of agmar is such a little BITCH

seriously, the chief battle commander and warmage of sauron got killed by 1. a bitch 2. a bitch hobbit

gaaaaaaaaaaaay

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i don't know what this picture even means but it better be an apology :mad:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Dongattack posted:

so why didnt the gandalf cut off fredo’s fingers

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

so why didnt the gandalf cut off fredo’s fingers

I know it was you, Fredo.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Alas Boobylon posted:

i read all your poo poo shitlord and i agree

the biggest :psyduck: with LOTR isnt why some autistic eagle-ring divebomb scheme didn't occur, but how the witch king of agmar is such a little BITCH

seriously, the chief battle commander and warmage of sauron got killed by 1. a bitch 2. a bitch hobbit

gaaaaaaaaaaaay

uhm sorry that part owns ironic prophecies own

theres a cool tidbit in the book where it tells the story of the blade used to kill him and how it was made by numeroneans specially to gently caress up angmar and how the dude that forged it would be really happy to know it was used to kill him

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

babypolis posted:

uhm sorry that part owns ironic prophecies own

theres a cool tidbit in the book where it tells the story of the blade used to kill him and how it was made by numeroneans specially to gently caress up angmar and how the dude that forged it would be really happy to know it was used to kill him

That was Merrys barrow-blade, it was Eowyns sword that actually killed him.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

if it were me, i'd've just walked into mordor.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
http://oglaf.com/ornithology/

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Baron Bifford posted:

Why does everyone keep asking this? The eagles would have been spotted by the Eye of Sauron and brought down by the Ringwraiths on their flying beasts.

You may all thank me now for settling this.

That's right, this is why JRR made sure to include this fact in his books.

naem
May 29, 2011

Chiming in to say that not only could I be an extra in one of the elf scenes in one of these movies, you wouldn't have to put makeup or anything. My ears are already pointy even.

Like maybe give me a green shirt or something.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The real answer Op: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IXRdRIFE96s

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
please post your speculation on the nature of tom bombadil. thanks.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

hes eru iluvatar

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

LifeSizePotato posted:

There are no guns in England so this would not work. :911:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

paranoid randroid posted:

hes eru iluvatar

i think maybe

or the embodiment of arda

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

He's some sort of avatar or manifestation of the earth itself, hence why he cannot leave his gay glade

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
tim! tim benzadrine!
hash, boo, valvoline!
clean, clean, clean for gene!
first, second, neutral, park
hie thee hence you leafy narc!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

I stopped reading at "shitlord".

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4N5IuLJS7Y&t=4s

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Tolkien posted:

"Gwaihir's M60 raked through the ranks of fearful, turbaned Haradrim - a terrible death from the air which they had no capacity to resist. As the ranks of brown-skinned men broke and they began to flee the Windlord's cries rang like a trumpet over the battlefield. "Freedom," he was calling in the tongue of the great eagles, "Freedom! Liberty! The Right to Bear Arms!"

amuayse fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 1, 2014

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

im dying

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Po ta toes! Boil em mash em put em in a stew!

Wasn't their some old gif or something about a catapult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
serious post answer: bc lotr is not an anime, makes u think

• Locked thread