Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I'm back. I'm finishing this game if it kills me.

Kleaveland is no more, please welcome Pangenesis. Pangenesis is a procedurally generated dungeon-crawling/sandbox/exploration game.

its not minecraft

Kleaveland Pangenesis features

• A massive procedurally generated world for you to explore.
  • Randomly generated dungeons complete with puzzles, monsters and loot to discover.
  • DNA-based breeding system. The DNA from creatures found in the world can be combined and bred into new and unique offspring. (This will tie into the core gameplay)
  • Randomly generated loot including swords, bows, lightning wands, boots that let you walk on the ceiling.
  • A destructible world.
  • A unique building system. Harvested materials can be placed into the world in any shape you can think of.
  • Native Oculus Rift support.
  • Online or LAN multiplayer.

One hastily made YouTube video, please

Certainly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxiL7HiAuH4

More pictures

A couple of hints to get started building

• Open your inventory (E or D-pad up) and place the dig ability in a numbered slot on your hotbar
  • Close the inventory and select the slot with the digging ability (Number keys, mouse wheel or Left/Right bumper)
  • Dig up terrain using left mouse or the right trigger
  • Select different digging modes using right mouse or the left trigger

Where do we go from here?

If there is to be any chance of this game succeeding, I need to get out from the shadows. Steam Greenlight will be my next step. I'm thinking of going with the company name "munted finger", both because one of my fingers is well... munted (australian slang, look it up!)... from a childhood accident, and it works with the idea of someone who is addicted to games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Create an account here
Download Pangenesis here
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Free account registration is required. If you used to play Kleaveland, your account will work here. If you can't remember your username or password (I don't blame you, it has been a while) click here.

Goon server

tehsid has organised a server, look for PangenGoons in the server browser
See this thread for the password (do not post it in this thread, keep it goons only for now): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678616

YouTube video creators: Feel free to create monetized videos / let's plays of the game.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you enjoy the game.

DuFfY fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When I try to make a username and password it says "Cannot open socket" then I can't download the game from the download link with my username/pass.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Are you getting the error on the registration screen or the download screen?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DuFfY posted:

Are you getting the error on the registration screen or the download screen?

Registration after I submit my info

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Ah yep there it is, I got the error too. It worked 20 minutes ago - and every day prior to this. Why does my website hate me?

Let me grab my tools.

edit: Seems to be the captcha, ripped it out. should be okay now.

DuFfY fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 31, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd just like to take this time to say :toot:

Also, is the low framerate due to you capturing video at the same time as playing, or is it part of development?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Downloading, looks good (well, not the website, but first things first eh?)

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Was just thinking about Kleaveland the other day - Glad to see its still alive!

E: Out of curiosity, why the name change?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Glad to see you're still working on this! Still looks really promising, I hope Greenlight goes well for you when the time comes.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Thanks!

The name just never really felt right. I really want to push the other aspects of the game, and kleaveland seemed rooted in just the building aspect. The Pangenesis name will tie into both the back story and a major game feature.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, is the low framerate due to you capturing video at the same time as playing, or is it part of development?

Video capture brings my computer to its knees.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I didn't expect to see this back, but I sure am pleased it's not dead. It's come a long way, and I hope it keeps going from here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DuFfY posted:

Thanks!

The name just never really felt right. I really want to push the other aspects of the game, and kleaveland seemed rooted in just the building aspect. The Pangenesis name will tie into both the back story and a major game feature.

Video capture brings my computer to its knees.

Nevermind what I said about the framerate, apparently that was just my computer at work. It'd odd, since it wasn't doing that to any other videos.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nooooooope. Nope. Nope nope nope. Nope. Nooooooope.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This looks mighty interesting. I think I'll get my hands on it soon. Cause I don't have ENOUGH games to play right now.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

victrix posted:

Nooooooope. Nope. Nope nope nope. Nope. Nooooooope.

Someone's never seen a bunny-ogre.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
So glad that this is still a thing. Good luck with the Greenlight application. Love the company name!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This looks really cool!

A few nitpicks, mainly technical stuff.

• Try to integrate some level of mod support from the start to stop people from having to hack in stuff down the track.
  • I'd like to be able to increase the view distance somewhat. It's pretty short as it is, even with it turned up. I get 60fps everywhere though so kudos on the optimisation!
  • A "Remember Me" checkbox on the login screen. I'm glad that it supports copy+pasting since I have my passwords organised in KeePass, but it'd still be nice to not have to bother after the first time
  • I don't know if it'd be possible with the voxel tech you're using, but are smooth hills possible? You do appear to have sloped surfaces elsewhere. I realise that the stepped hills might be a part of the art design but it'd be nice if Minecraft-alikes tried to get away from that look.
  • Antialiasing settings please
  • Anisotropic too
  • The hands look a bit goofy

Otherwise, this is looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Glad you are still working on this, had a lot of fun with Kleaveland. Nice progress too!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm incredibly excited about this

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Yussssssssss.

Enjoyed the hell out of this, definitely going to have to download the latest build once I get home from this business trip.

Glad to see the breeding thing expanding into more and varied creatures. I was loving that aspect of Kleaveland when I last played.

Also I have to get out of the habit of building houses on weird diagonals. Its cool that the building system makes it possible, but goddamn it just makes my life so complicated. Multi-directional slopes/stairs never work out right.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FOV oh god. I need my wide field of view :cry:

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I'm happy to hear that folks are still interested. Warms the heart!

SwissCM posted:

FOV oh god. I need my wide field of view :cry:

Adding this to the list. I think I'll add a slider to adjust it in the graphics options.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
We've talked about it a bit in the past in the minecraft thread and figured you scraped it. Glad that isn't the case. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but please tell me that you can still make sky bases and flip upside down to get to them.

Also, goon server anyone?

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Certain boots let you do the ceiling walking thing. But fall damage might make the sky bases a little harder to manage. Not impossible though.

alr
May 14, 2009
I remember this from a while back, good to see you didn't give up on it. Pretty impressed with it so far, and your tutorial (and the dialog that goes with it) is really good, I liked the touch of collecting sticks and lighting the cellar lanterns. About the only criticism I could make would be more detailed audio options so I could lower the ambient bird volume separate of everything else, the view distance if possible, and a key modifier that slows you to a walk and prevents you from falling off your current ledge.

The animations are good, and I enjoyed the labyrinth key puzzle. I also learned not to smack red pots

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Really happy to see this is back! I'll be in tonight. DuFfy, are you hosting a server still?

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I don't have a server hosted currently. I want to try and get one hosted in the USA somewhere (I'm based in Australia), I'll look into this soon.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

DuFfY posted:

I don't have a server hosted currently. I want to try and get one hosted in the USA somewhere (I'm based in Australia), I'll look into this soon.

I'm in AU too. But what would the rough requirements for a dedi be?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And here I just deleted an old Kleaveland alpha not too long ago. Surprised but pleased to see this back again!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just registered an account and will have to give this a shot on my old Windows desktop. Any chance of a Mac (or Linux for that matter) port down the line?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

DuFfY posted:

Can anyone host a server?

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

tehsid posted:

I'm in AU too. But what would the rough requirements for a dedi be?

A dedicated server has pretty low requirements aside from a stable, fast network connection. I have a Linux build for the dedicated server but I need to streamline the build process for this, it is a few versions behind.

IUG posted:

Just registered an account and will have to give this a shot on my old Windows desktop. Any chance of a Mac (or Linux for that matter) port down the line?

I do intend to release a Mac client, the engine runs OpenGL and doesn't have any dependencies which should cause a problem here. I'm not sure about a linux client (dedicated server, yes)

fondue posted:

Can anyone host a server?

Anyone can, the server files can be downloaded from https://pangenesisgame.com/alpha/

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Played through the alpha. I'm really impressed with the progress since the last time I saw it! I did have a few suggestions though. I played on Gamepad since it was an option and if you could add a Toggle Sprint and Toggle Crouch option it would help make gamepad play work better. I remapped Sprint to Left Stick Click on my 360 so that I could map Drop Item to a button and while it worked, a toggle would've worked better. I also found this bug in the floor of an electrical spinner room:

Those eyeball throwing monsters are tough to deal with without a bow so running across one of those as my first enemy was no fun. The attack range on melee weapons feels very short, like you have to be almost touching the enemy to hit them. As such, even though my sword was much stronger than my bow, I used the bow more often.

The dialogue options were clever and the terrain generation is really nice. Being able to walk up slopes without jumping has always been a great addition. Definitely looking forward to future alphas and the full game.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I had a ton of fun with the Alpha, dual wielding one handed weapons seems a bit OP though, I was able to one shot basically everything except the Boss.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Oh man am I glad this isn't dead! I'm even more glad that I can actually play it now, because whatever video card error I was getting back when it was Kleaveland is no longer present.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Kleaveland is a vastly superior name.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This looks ace, the pangenesis mechanic looks fun (can't wait to breed ogrespiders) and the company name Munted Finger is awesome.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
I'm a sucker for anything procedurally generated. A few questions:

Are there plans for a crafting system or will everything be found in chests/monster loot?

How does the breeding system work? The video makes it look like it is implemented.

Is it possible to find items like the pickaxe and hammer outside of the story quest? I wandered around a new world for a bit but all I ever found was the orbs and rocks/flowers/mushrooms, can chests spawn out in the wild?

It looked like the engine will generate caves, does it generate towns or other points of interest?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I love the content that's been added so far (including the tutorial that can horribly murder you!). However, I have found that the screencap button, F5, does not work! Additionally, hitting both Printscreen and Alt+Printscreen result in this business:

Anyway, that's my game feedback bye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I just wanted to say that I actually always hated the name Kleaveland, because I was only there briefly but Cleveland just seems like a really boring place and punning the name off of it wouldn't really grab anyone's attention because it too is kind of boring.

Really glad it was changed.

• Locked thread