Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't know. I remembered this game just because I thought Kleaveland was a nifty name for a niche game. It stands out.

To me, Pangenesis sounds like it's trying too hard for some lofty title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
The new name is kind of goofy in it's own way, but it was really hard to get any of my friends excited for this game I was alpha testing and they should come play with me called Kleaveland.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I see mixed feedback on the new name. I'd be curious to hear the honest thoughts of a few more folks.

FPzero posted:

I played on Gamepad since it was an option and if you could add a Toggle Sprint and Toggle Crouch option it would help make gamepad play work better.

Toggle crouch is already on the todo list, I hadn't considered sprint but we'll see. Noted the visual bug on the electricity room floor too, thanks.

Tamayachi posted:

I had a ton of fun with the Alpha, dual wielding one handed weapons seems a bit OP though, I was able to one shot basically everything except the Boss.

There is no balance at present. The combat will be fleshed out a bit more and the items will be balanced around this. The boss fight is a placeholder too.

Arclyte posted:

I'm a sucker for anything procedurally generated. A few questions:

Most items will be found via chests, monster drops and quest rewards. I've almost finished the next update, it will add subquests to NPCs in the town. There will only be one basic one to start with but the foundations are in place to add more - I have some interesting ideas for these. There is a limited form of crafting. For example, combining a door (obtained via pickaxe) with a piece of paper creates an item plan for making further doors. You can combine this will raw materials to make a door of that type. This second part of this process is ugly as it requires placing the exact number of blocks in the modify slot (10), I need to find a better way to do implement this.

Currently the breeding system works by collecting cupid's arrows (random drops), firing these at wildlife/monsters/NPCs/yourself and collecting the resulting half-egg. Two of these can be combined in your inventory to make an egg. This will change in future updates though, and it will tie into the core gameplay.

Obtaining items outside of the main quest: Not yet.

The world's landmarks are currently limited to towns (there are multiple), respawn points and the occasional cave. This will be expanded upon, and is a high priority for me.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

However, I have found that the screencap button, F5, does not work!

Just to confirm, there are no .tga files sitting in your game folder? The screenshot function should create these files. Hopefully I get around to changing the format to something better, TGA was fast and easy to implement and I am lazy.

The tutorial that can horribly murder you? What happened here?

birdsound
Mar 25, 2011
Just downloaded and played for about 20 minutes. Very interesting so far. I love the interaction with Stranger. He's somehow quite livelike and he actually points at the place you need to go, I love that kind of stuff. The creatures are rough but interesting aswell. Its got a nice eerie vibe to it. Work now, but can't wait to get home and play some more

Maybe a server will be up by the time I do?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DuFfY posted:

Just to confirm, there are no .tga files sitting in your game folder? The screenshot function should create these files. Hopefully I get around to changing the format to something better, TGA was fast and easy to implement and I am lazy.

The tutorial that can horribly murder you? What happened here?

There are such files! What the Hell application are they for?

Also the labyrinth is lethal as gently caress. Maybe I just charge forward on everything. I'm kind of annoyed by constantly starting back at the sign.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I remember, this is the 'minecraft' game that had all the little things that I loved with the definable areas you could than fill with blocks and all the nice things you could build thanks to this. And it seems I even remember my old user/pass, downloading now.

Also can't wait to breed my first duck-spiderling. :unsmith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Also the labyrinth is lethal as gently caress. Maybe I just charge forward on everything. I'm kind of annoyed by constantly starting back at the sign.

.tga is TARGA image format, it's a somewhat uncommon one outside of software development but it should load up in most image manipulation programs? Failing that, irfanview should manage them.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

DuFfY posted:

I see mixed feedback on the new name. I'd be curious to hear the honest thoughts of a few more folks.

Pangenesis is much, much better name than Kleaveland considering it seems the focus of the game is not strictly sandbox anyway.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

They're old school image files! Open them in GIMP or photoshop, and resave them as PNGS, or use http://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/ to batch convert them!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

DuFfY - I shot you a PM, but I thought I'd post in here in case it catches your eye first. I've setup a dedi host in LA, is there any way I can config the name/password or anything?

Ignore this. DuFfy is prompt on his PM's. I'll post again soon once the server is ready to go.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 3, 2014

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Bummer, already started digging a hole.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The Labyrinth is quiet fun, I'm enjoying it a lot even though I always end up dead because I'm too curious.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I've uploaded an update.

Alpha 19 changes

• Added Direct to HMD support for the Oculus Rift. (Set the Oculus Rift to 'Direct to HMD' mode and then launch Pangenesis.exe with the -vr parameter)
  • Added low persistence and mirroring options for the Oculus Rift.
  • Added support for side quests. An example side quest is available from the NPCs inside of towns.
  • If the ogre charges into a wall it will be stunned for 5 seconds.
  • Corrected pick up text for eggs.
  • Items can have multiple modifications on the inventory screen. Patterns can now be erased.
  • Added crouch toggle option.
  • Added serverpassword parameter to config file for use by dedicated servers.

edit: This should auto-update when you log in, but the updater has been known to fail on certain configurations. If this fails for you could you please post your operating system in this thread. If this happens you can update by re-downloading from the website.

tehsid has kindly organised a server, but I've gone and thrown a spanner in the works by releasing this update at the same time. He is updating it now.

DuFfY fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 3, 2014

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

DuFfY posted:

I've uploaded an update.

Alpha 19 changes

edit: This should auto-update when you log in, but the updater has been known to fail on certain configurations. If this fails for you could you please post your operating system in this thread. If this happens you can update by re-downloading from the website.

Failed to update the first time while extracting the update, but had it running with the steam overlay. Running it pure updates just fine. Not sure if it was the steam overlay so if you want I can still send you a DXDiag log.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

We're just working out a few quirks with the server. I see a few have logged in already, and unless you're DuFfY, I'd love it if you could hold off logging in until we know what's up. Thanks guys.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Server is ready. Go here for password (for testing!)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678616

Don't post the password in here, just link that thread! Thanks!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Stumbled into a labyrinth, founds some pants 10/10

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I think that server crash may have been pants related. Was anyone doing anything in particular when it went down?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Server is crashing. Trying to fix. Will be back soon!

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Ahundredbux dropped me some equipment, helmet, armor, dagger... and yes, pants. I told everyone pants are bad.

By the way, who did get squashed by the re-activated stone trap?

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

Feindfeuer posted:

By the way, who did get squashed by the re-activated stone trap?

We avoided it just in time.

It went down again after you joined Feindfeuer! Did you take on the rock subquest at all?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I'm still in the dungeon, so no, I haven't looked into the rock subquest on the server. I started it in my singleplayer run but didn't really bother to finish it there.

e:
There was a dagger that I picked up and put in my offhand, just as it crashed the last time. And I'm pretty sure I did the very same thing the instance before with the exact same dagger. Maybe it's not pants related?

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 3, 2014

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

GOTY

Really though, I had a blast running that with you guys. I really, really like this so far. Top work DuFfY!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Glad to see that this one is back, was very interested in the game when it was first revealed.

Since you where asking, I think that Kleaveland was a better name for the game. Pangenesis is fine but it isn't as memorable.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

DuFfY posted:

Just wanna stipulate first that I love the concept of your game and how it's similar but clearly wants to differentiate itself from Minecraft and also the direction it's going in. In short: I'm a potential fanboy, and can't wait to see it develop. The breeding system is something I've tried to find in so many games, but the best I've seen is in games where the sole purpose is breeding and it never interacts with other systems, so what you have going is really exiting to me.

That having been said, I agree that Pangenesis is better than Kleaveland, but... It's just not very evocative and is too highminded for what the game seems to be (no offense, and maybe that will change over time). I can appreciate the fact that you're using an actual word to describe some of the gameplay and that also intones an appreciation of science and all but I think the name should be a bit more "fun" and evocative of the game. Still, though, Pangenesis isn't bad. I'm just thinking in terms of a post-Minecraft world and what would help it sell, if it comes to that.

Of course, I have no better ideas, so take that as it is, but I think you should keep the name open for now. At least until the game is feature complete. One thing I'm definitely sure of though is that you have something special here. I don't know if it's going to have the Minecraft appeal, but it at least feels like it will have a niche Minecraft cross Dwarf Fortress appeal which really gets me excited. Can't wait to see, either way.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

If the chaps playing earlier can try and log in again, so we can see if we can log the crash, that would be great.

*edit*

Thank you! Found it! Daggers are the devil apparently.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 3, 2014

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

To bad 'old naked men with stick raiding dungeons, also breeding and building' is too long of a name. :smith:

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

Feindfeuer posted:

There was a dagger that I picked up and put in my offhand, just as it crashed the last time. And I'm pretty sure I did the very same thing the instance before with the exact same dagger. Maybe it's not pants related?

Again - looks like you called it! I've got an offline copy of the world so I can debug this. Was it when you put it in the offhand again?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Equipping it offhand together with the Wand is what kicked me out again. I'm the bug finder. :yayclod:

or am I just the server crasher... :smithcloud:

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
It was the dagger. Nice find, Feindfeuer. I've patched it, no client update is necessary.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Updater failed for me, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I was not running it with steam overlay like the other person did.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

This be a drat fine looking game.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
How do you interact with the lock on the labyrinth? I have the combination on a paper I just don't know what to do with it.

Edit: Oh. I got it.

TomR fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 3, 2014

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

DuFfY posted:

A dedicated server has pretty low requirements aside from a stable, fast network connection. I have a Linux build for the dedicated server but I need to streamline the build process for this, it is a few versions behind.
Let us know when you'll have a dedicated linux server and I'll host a world.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

fondue posted:

Let us know when you'll have a dedicated linux server and I'll host a world.

We have a server!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678616

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I just hopped on there .. so this isn't a sandbox thing, it's an RPG of sorts? I logged, wandered about for a bit, got instructions on interaction, then blundered about the castle looking for a pickaxe.

What should I really be doing?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Keep in mind this is pre-pre alpha. So its more of a "get the systems working, then add the gameplay." Right now, you're going to want to find somebody to help you get a weapon, then go killing. Look for a dungeon and give it a try. You'll get loot and gold. Once you get 140 gold, you can get a pick axe, and start building your first home.

Or do what we do and just breed abominations then cage them for the fun of it.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

DuFfY posted:

Ok.

Vib Rib posted:

Cleveland just seems like a really boring place and punning the name off of it wouldn't really grab anyone's attention because it too is kind of boring.

Really glad it was changed.

This mirrors my opinion pretty much completely.

Cleveland really is a boring place, and anyone who's been there knows it. There's a reason the Drew Carey show, in all of its cubicle-and-oppressed-office-worker glory was set there.

A while back, I never bothered to look into some indy indev game named Kleveland. This morning, someone posted about a game called Pangenesis in the Minecraft thread and I clicked the link without even thinking about it, and will probably sign up tonight when I get home.

I'm surprised this even needs to be discussed, honestly.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 3, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Having never been there, I was under the impression that Cleveland rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I personally like Cleveland, but I also like Electric Six, so make of that what you will.

• Locked thread