Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pangenesis doesn't really tell me what the game is about. Kleaveland makes me think the game is about some sort of beefy dude with an axe fighting stuff possibly with lots of modern pop culture references thrown in.

So I guess Kleaveland doesn't give me an idea of what the game is either, but it gives me an idea which pangenesis doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
The last few pics for tonight, after we spent about 5 hours playing and testing.

My little fishing shack!

Entry to GoonCastle!

AHB's upcoming monster cage.

All in all, a good fun night and a few bugs fixed. Thanks DuFfY for the rad game.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The building system is actually very good and flexible for this kind of game which really is what caught me in the first place, but the dungeons seem to have a lot of potential as well!

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
It seems people are really torn on the name! For now I'm sticking with it.

Where did the last 7 hours go? The server held up well. No duckspiders, but we now have a bunnyogre.

Thanks tehsid for organising the server.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
What would be nice would maybe an option to re-shuffle and reset a dungeon every x hours to allow to redo it again, because as we have proven we can ruin a dungeon in record time with some well (and badly) placed red urns.
This would also allow other people to do the puzzle rooms besides the first one that gets there.

...but that might be pretty hard to actually implement in any meaningful way I guess.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I do not think that Pangenesis is an evocative name. It sounds sort of generic. The name Kleaveland stuck out to me, whereas Pangenesis sort of sounds throwaway. I basically got my friend to start playing it by showing him the video in the OP. I didn't even mention the name, either way. Awesome building system, weird monsters, nice terrain. So regardless of name, the game is good and promising!

Also, game crashed for me on the server when using a warp to town. Dunno what's up with that.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 3, 2014

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

DuFfY posted:

I see mixed feedback on the new name. I'd be curious to hear the honest thoughts of a few more folks.

Kleaveland was a nice name but really only if there were thematic elements tying it into the gameplay/world somehow. Pangenesis doesn't quite 'roll off the tongue' as easily, but it's just a name - If there are reasons that tie it all together, as you say, then there's no sense in not rolling with it. Otherwise, for a title like this the gameplay will speak for itself. =)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Direct to HMD mode crashes on my PC.

Running a R280X, latest Beta drivers, Windows 7.

EDIT: Well, it worked once in Extended mode. Now that doesn't work either.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 3, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Literally cannot find the labyrinth entrance in the town. the NPC helpfully points to three different directions and I only receive a marker for the quest objective when I leave the town. :saddowns:

edit: Turns out, once again, bitching about something gets me results. Found it after combing the town piecemeal.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 3, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

tehsid posted:

This be a drat fine looking game.

It really is, it's so pretty. I'm currently trying to figure out what I need to do to input the combination for the labyrinth but pelting spiders with rocks then smashing stuff with a stick has been fun so far.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Labyrinth Spoilers in case you can't figure it out yourself.

there is a key-map in the cellar of the Temple, use the green and purple carpet blocks you find in the temple main floor to replicate that pattern in the key zone of the Labyrinth entrance. Doors stay open after you unlocked them, so you can reclaim those carpet blocks for the next lock... or just harvest some in the Labyrinth.

you can also use paper to copy the pattern, put that 'map' you created that way in your reference slot and take a quick look at it with the reference key (default R)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Feindfeuer posted:

Labyrinth Spoilers in case you can't figure it out yourself.

there is a key-map in the cellar of the Temple, use the green and purple carpet blocks you find in the temple main floor to replicate that pattern in the key zone of the Labyrinth entrance. Doors stay open after you unlocked them, so you can reclaim those carpet blocks for the next lock... or just harvest some in the Labyrinth.

you can also use paper to copy the pattern, put that 'map' you created that way in your reference slot and take a quick look at it with the reference key (default R)

Wow, I've not played anything like this for so long my problem-solving skills have tanked. Thanks.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
Has anyone figured out how to create a portal yet? The Stranger has this to say about the how he created the one at the starting location "That was me. I collected a bunch of unusual white plants. Then I tripped and fell on that bit of rock."

I tried combining the white flower with a rock or two white flowers together, nothing.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

It's not the flowers but the flying potato tomatos, there are blue, red and white ones, each used for something specific. The white is the portal one I think, the red might be healing. I think you just throw them on the ground... but I'm not sure because I was busy with some spiders who wanted to eat my face when DuFfY explained it in detail.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
Well crap, I was hoping I could create a portal near my house :( The orbs are kind of how they all take off and fly away but they eventually land again and you can pick them all up.

Xenorax
Jul 29, 2010
So, I decided to host my own little server, because I'm antisocial and like to play on servers alone. (It's sad, but whatever) Anyway, to cut to the chase, how does one password a server or edit the server in other ways?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Xenorax posted:

So, I decided to host my own little server, because I'm antisocial and like to play on servers alone. (It's sad, but whatever) Anyway, to cut to the chase, how does one password a server or edit the server in other ways?

In the config xml.

<servername>NameOfServer</servername>
<serverpassword>Password</serverpassword>

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

Feindfeuer posted:

What would be nice would maybe an option to re-shuffle and reset a dungeon every x hours to allow to redo it again

I've thought about this myself. There are other dungeons (and will be even more soon), but it would be nice to be able to reset one like you say. There would still be an incentive to seek out the other higher-leveled ones to progress the story and get better items.

SwissCM posted:

Direct to HMD mode crashes on my PC.

Are you running the latest Oculus runtime, version 0.4.3?

Ulvirich posted:

the NPC helpfully points to three different directions and I only receive a marker for the quest objective when I leave the town. :saddowns:

The marker just points to the town itself, but the labyrinth is inside the town walls. He should point in one direction consistently though, I'll check it out.

Feindfeuer posted:

It's not the flowers but the flying potato tomatos, there are blue, red and white ones, each used for something specific. The white is the portal one I think, the red might be healing. I think you just throw them on the ground... but I'm not sure because I was busy with some spiders who wanted to eat my face when DuFfY explained it in detail.

Red = healing, blue = magic restoration, white = warp. When you throw on one the ground, it creates a small temporary aura which provides the related effect. If you throw more of them into the aura (6 in total), it will grow in size and become permanent.

Arclyte posted:

Well crap, I was hoping I could create a portal near my house :( The orbs are kind of how they all take off and fly away but they eventually land again and you can pick them all up.

You will need 6 white ones and then you can. You can knock them out of the sky with a rock or ranged weapon.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
How's performance been for you guys? It runs at a solid 60 most of the time but it does frequently dip in the high 20's when looking out on a lot of scenery.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Consistently high FPS for me.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

How's performance been for you guys? It runs at a solid 60 most of the time but it does frequently dip in the high 20's when looking out on a lot of scenery.

60fps 99% of the time. I had one drop when I looked into a forest, but assumed it was my pc.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DuFfY posted:

Are you running the latest Oculus runtime, version 0.4.3?

Yep, with the latest firmware installed on the Rift.

Also I think the video driver is what crashed. atioglxx.dll

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Played this for a bit today. Was a good time and hope to continue. Can't wait for the FOV option, though, as I'm prone to motion sickness from first person games, especially with such a low FOV. Started getting pretty nauseous about 20 minutes in.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
Ran around for quite a while looking for other dungeons/towns. I didn't find any, but I did find two more of these things:

In both cases they appeared to be pointing back to the original town. What do dungeons look like in the wild? I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
SwissCM I send you a PM that will hopefully help me track down this issue.

siggy - I will work on adding a FOV slider for the next update. Out of curiosity, is there an FOV value that seems to work best for you? Or does it change from game to game?

Arclyte, those signs will always point towards the closest town. Sooner or later you will come across one that points somewhere other than the starting town. Apart from the labyrinths under the towns, there are no other dungeons - yet. A future update will introduce an item which lets you find certain landmarks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Going back to the name, I think the mixed response is because nobody's too thrilled with either name.
Kleaveland is a pun on Cleveland, which is boring, and also makes the game sound like it's about Cleveland. It's not evocative of anything I'd want to play. If I was going down a list of indie titles or recent releases and saw "Kleaveland" I would not click it. I don't know what kind of game would come to mind, but not this, and not anything fun.
The problem is that Pangenesis is too nebulous-sounding. It's not specific enough or clever enough to paint a picture. It's not evocative of anything, really. It's not quite as bad as "hey, which one was Minebuilder and which one was Castleminer?" but it does sound like one of those titles that can sort of get lost. I don't have any suggestions for something better, I just feel like it's a name that could feasibly applied to countless games because it's so vague.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The only thing I liked about Kleaveland is it was unique so I could kind of remember it.

Pangenesis is just odd. My brain just has a very difficult time with it, I nearly stutter everytime I say it in my head.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

DuFfY posted:

siggy - I will work on adding a FOV slider for the next update. Out of curiosity, is there an FOV value that seems to work best for you? Or does it change from game to game?

90 seems to be generally fine for me. That's what I played Skyrim at, though the default 65 I can't even watch someone else play. It's also what Counter Strike is set at I believe, and I have no problems with that.

Of course there are some games, such as Portal 2, that I was never able to finish due to it. I don't see Pangenesis doing that, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pangenesis does sound kinda like some generic indie title that means nothing.

Of the two I lean towards Kleaveland. It's just a cute name.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I personally prefer Delawarez.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

SwissCM posted:

Pangenesis does sound kinda like some generic indie title that means nothing.

Of the two I lean towards Kleaveland. It's just a cute name.

I think Kleaveland on its own is just missing something to make it stand out. Hello, Kleaveland! is just odd enough that I would click on it in a list of games to learn more.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But I still don't think it has any relation to the game, and while it might stand out, I'd get mental images of... I don't know what kind of game. An overhead pothole-fixing public works project, or some gag game made in a few hours about wacky violence in Cleveland.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Edminster posted:

I think Kleaveland on its own is just missing something to make it stand out. Hello, Kleaveland! is just odd enough that I would click on it in a list of games to learn more.

Maybe even just an exclamation mark.

Kleaveland!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I dunno. I like the name Pangenesis. It rings true to the DNA/breeding part of the game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangenesis

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, i'm in a room in the labyrinth where there's the crushing blocks that fly in your direction, a chest behind some bars, and on the side of the wall that fit the crushing blocks exactly. I was guessing I was supposed to make a ramp that would let them slide up and in, but the crushing blocks can't slide up ramps - any idea what you're supposed to do here or is sliding blocks supposed to be something that will happen?

Also, several puzzles require explosive pots, but it's easy to make a mistake and blow it up, especially before you get how you're supposed to use them - is there any way to get more pots?

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
The crush blocks won't go up ramps but they can move straight up and down, you need to lure them in the right direction. You can press your use key to push them also.

You can carefully move pots around from other parts of the dungeon, or you can get lucky and find some bombs in a chest. Otherwise, you can come back to the labyrinth later with a pickaxe to get the items that you missed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DuFfY posted:

The crush blocks won't go up ramps but they can move straight up and down, you need to lure them in the right direction. You can press your use key to push them also.

You can carefully move pots around from other parts of the dungeon, or you can get lucky and find some bombs in a chest. Otherwise, you can come back to the labyrinth later with a pickaxe to get the items that you missed.

Ah, standing on them did nothing so I assumed they couldn't go up, only down. I guess I need some distance.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

Xenorax posted:

So, I decided to host my own little server, because I'm antisocial and like to play on servers alone.

Who are we to judge! I have to ask though, how does this differ from single player?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

That was fun again, haven't found another town, but before logging off i created a Dickbutt map. Because I'm an idiot mage.

... also im terrible at pixel art.

e:
probably will copy it a few times and than place in chest I've already looted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Good work Feindfeuer, I think I've found my cover art.

Protip: Pickaxe makes the digging ability redundant. I just freed you up a another dickbutt slot.

• Locked thread