Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

HiKaizer posted:

Help me goons!

Give me some basic tips, hints and things I might be missing to help me not suck at this game I got a day ago please.

Play on very easy.

You won't have enough dust to power every room. To that end, learn to set up holdouts somewhere you can park your toughest character, a shitpile of turrets, and protect your back line. Purposely leave unpowered rooms near your holdout spots in order to draw enemy waves into your kill room.

Always be researching. If you don't have enough science to research try and allocate an operator to a science module.

Play into character's strengths. Someone like Rakya needs a station to operate and a shitpile of turrets to be at her best, so she does surprisingly well in a 5+ minor module room and if you can get her that room can hold back colossal waves. On the other end, because she needs those modules to be worthwhile beyond autoattacks, she makes a poo poo poor door-kicker.

On the first floor you should be building one industry generator first thing, then science, and food last. You need to get early research online really quick in order to make it pay spades in the later game.

In the bigger waves in the later floors crowd control is key. To that end, properly leveled Tear Gas, pepper spray, and holo hero can be worth their weight in gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

You won't have enough dust to power every room. To that end, learn to set up holdouts somewhere you can park your toughest character, a shitpile of turrets, and protect your back line. Purposely leave unpowered rooms near your holdout spots in order to draw enemy waves into your kill room.

To tie into this, don't feel compelled to light as many rooms as you can early on. It might be best to leave as many unlit rooms as you can handle waves, as kills can generate dust, letting you have more lit up rooms later on a floor when it really matters.

Stay on the current floor until you're pretty sure the next wave would overwhelm you. Obviously, this only applies if you find the exit before you absolutely need to leave. If things are starting to build up too much for your comfort and you know where the exit is, plan out a route and maybe open a few doors next to your path in order to light them up. All doors will open when you pick up the power supply, but they slowly open starting from the rooms you have already opened. By the way, doors opening like this count for the "Open all doors on every level" achievement. You just have to wait at the exit until you get the message that all doors have opened.

Even in dark rooms, monsters won't spawn as long as you keep a hero in there.

Try to have at least one speedy hero (to carry the crystal) and one person with repair (or an item that grants repair).

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I bought this and played it.

First go, I went with easy difficulty. I can't find anything harder, presumably I have to unlock it?

On that first go, I got to the 12 floor. It's pretty easy up until that point. But floor 12 wrecked me. Found the exit, but the waves were mental. That last level is insane. The ramp in difficulty as you you progress just doesn't scale sensibly. Easy, Easy, Easy, last floor, Ridiculous.

I like the game, though. I'll get out next game, I have learnt alot this time.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
How does using or buffing turrets work with a hero? Do they do it automatically, do they need a skill? I had someone who got a repair skill and they could repair stuff so I am assuming that it nominally would work the same way.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

HiKaizer posted:

How does using or buffing turrets work with a hero? Do they do it automatically, do they need a skill? I had someone who got a repair skill and they could repair stuff so I am assuming that it nominally would work the same way.

There's a skill specifically for Rakya and on items that give your turrets a buff while she's in the room.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

HPanda posted:

To tie into this, don't feel compelled to light as many rooms as you can early on. It might be best to leave as many unlit rooms as you can handle waves, as kills can generate dust, letting you have more lit up rooms later on a floor when it really matters.

Wait, but Dust is the one resource that doesn't carry over between levels, right? Or do you mean "later on in that floor"?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Later on that floor. Doesn't matter much in the early levels, but those last levels need every speck you can wring out of each floor. Of course, use it all when exiting just because you can. I did have one humorous run where one floor went so well that I could light every single room while exiting. Unfortunately, I already had the "hold out for a minute" achievement.

Oh, and it seems like the later level merchants trade dust more than others, and often have really good stuff. So that's another reason to get as much dust as possible in the early parts of each level.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm playing right now in Endless Drill Pod and will be on for a while. Add me if you want some in-game pointers or just some co-op shenanigans.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TastyLemons

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

HPanda posted:

Later on that floor. Doesn't matter much in the early levels, but those last levels need every speck you can wring out of each floor. Of course, use it all when exiting just because you can. I did have one humorous run where one floor went so well that I could light every single room while exiting. Unfortunately, I already had the "hold out for a minute" achievement.

Oh, and it seems like the later level merchants trade dust more than others, and often have really good stuff. So that's another reason to get as much dust as possible in the early parts of each level.

Also on that note, if you have a glut of industry/science/food, and find a merchant for that on floor 5-8ish, buy all his poo poo to resell later. Finding a Dust merchant on 12 with an inventory full of poo poo you bought with Industry is basically giving you the chance to make the game easier for "free".

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

This just went up on the Amplitude FB page which I had to repost here because it made me laugh:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This could have been a good game but it's christmas and multiplayer is still absolute trash that they give the same funny promises about every couple of weeks, funny because you can tell they have no loving idea at this point.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What determines who gets killed in the elevator events?

Also, any recommended heroes/ships to unlock the Refreezerator?

Azran fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 25, 2014

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Thanks if you watched the stream. It ended with a Library Pod victory on Easy after 3 hours (Jesus), for a total of 29k points. I'm not sure if it's the bonuses that make Library Pod easy, or the playstyle it forces you into that makes the game easy. Turret farms everywhere!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Azran posted:

What determines who gets killed in the elevator events?

Also, any recommended heroes/ships to unlock the Refreezerator?

As far as I'm aware, it's completely random if there's a chance of either dying. People swear that the better equipped characters or higher level characters will win the elevator fights, but that has literally never been the case for me.

Kreyang, Skroig and Golgy all have ways to mitigate enemies that run right past you. The Library Pod starts you off with a Tesla 1, though you can't equip weapons.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

This game is pretty fun, seems hard as poo poo though, heroes can just get wasted so fast. I lost like 3 heroes in 2 floors and couldn't find any more to recruit so I had to do floors 8 and 9 I think with just the warden and power-armor lady, basically having her solo the big unpowered half of the map while gramps held down like a room or two. Managed to unlock him though so thank gently caress I'll never have to use him again I hope. Still got overwhelmed on floor 12 though, what the actual gently caress is up with the map generation there? Like, forget the lack of dust or whatever, there were no loving module slots on the floors! So stupid, I couldn't even build 1 defensible room. Also, those huge naked dudes that don't move are assholes. Are they the ones that buff other enemies on the floor? At least the rhinos have the courtesy to move.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Indecisive posted:

This game is pretty fun, seems hard as poo poo though, heroes can just get wasted so fast. I lost like 3 heroes in 2 floors and couldn't find any more to recruit so I had to do floors 8 and 9 I think with just the warden and power-armor lady, basically having her solo the big unpowered half of the map while gramps held down like a room or two. Managed to unlock him though so thank gently caress I'll never have to use him again I hope. Still got overwhelmed on floor 12 though, what the actual gently caress is up with the map generation there? Like, forget the lack of dust or whatever, there were no loving module slots on the floors! So stupid, I couldn't even build 1 defensible room. Also, those huge naked dudes that don't move are assholes. Are they the ones that buff other enemies on the floor? At least the rhinos have the courtesy to move.

Warden Mormish is one of the best characters in the game, and easily in my top 5. While his combat skill is quite poor, he is an excellent front line operator (don't let armchair general fool you, he belongs on the front line); he's a decent source of dust income when his turret farm has things to kill. Furthermore, he's one of the better crystal runners. One of his passives gives him +10 Speed (+15 once you get the second level for it) if there's someone in the room to push him along.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I only ever seem to win games with Lady Joleri. Her ridiculous tankiness in unpowered rooms gives so much flexibility to shuffle power between branches. That said, she only made the floor 12 crystal run thanks to Gork taunting and Skroig redirecting aggro.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Indecisive posted:

. Also, those huge naked dudes that don't move are assholes. Are they the ones that buff other enemies on the floor? At least the rhinos have the courtesy to move.

I have no clue what those guys are about. I think monsters spawn in their room if no one is in there with them while they live. So you need to kill em or poo poo gets worse. I could be wrong, but on floor twelve poo poo kept spawning from the same rooms well after I had cleared them out.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

I have no clue what those guys are about. I think monsters spawn in their room if no one is in there with them while they live. So you need to kill em or poo poo gets worse. I could be wrong, but on floor twelve poo poo kept spawning from the same rooms well after I had cleared them out.

No, but they get stronger over time. There are 4 stages of growth where they start out buffing all the monsters in the same room and end up buffing all monsters on the floor.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Flipswitch posted:

This just went up on the Amplitude FB page which I had to repost here because it made me laugh:

The pug on the star is great. :allears:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Thyrork posted:

The pug on the star is great. :allears:

The pug is an actual character in the game, playable only if you use random.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The pug is an actual character in the game, playable only if you use random.

Better not be lying to me here buddy. :magical:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nope, you can get it as a playable character, but you have to random into it. :)

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm streaming now with the Sanitary Pod on Easy. Bonus points for Thyrork, as I have the pug on my starting team.

https://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm streaming now with the Sanitary Pod on Easy. Bonus points for Thyrork, as I have the pug on my starting team.

https://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Missed it, Christmas is not a day for things regarding to the internet! :aaa:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Thyrork posted:

Missed it, Christmas is not a day for things regarding to the internet! :aaa:

I lost, right when I was telling myself: Man, I should run for the exit. Nah... One more door won't kill me.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Let me ask what is probably a really dumb question -- when I build a module, does it just give me the benefits (the plus science, food, etc.) merely from having been built in a powered room? Or do I need a hero to be "using" the module in some way?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Modules do work when unmanned, but they provide a higher benefit when operated.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Flipswitch posted:

Modules do work when unmanned, but they provide a higher benefit when operated.

Thanks. I assume I just right click on the module with the given hero selected, and he goes to operate the module?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. I assume I just right click on the module with the given hero selected, and he goes to operate the module?

You just move the hero into the same room as the module and he'll operate it; he/she'll have a little turning gears icon appear over his/her head. However, it takes one door opening to start operating, and you lose the operating bonus if you move the hero out of the room. You can tell if it's active vs. inactive by looking at the color of the icon; if it's grey it's not active yet, if it's green the hero is operating the module and giving the bonus. If you have more than one hero who can operate in the same room, the hero with the highest wit will operate the module.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Worth noting that you don't start with the operate skill, you need to level up certain heroes/get an item that grants it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Got my first win (on very easy), time to graduate to hard mode I guess. Too Easy does seem to be a fitting name though, as I rarely had trouble opening every door on every floor and pausing very little. Ended up with Max, Sara, Ken and Rakya (started with Troe but he bit it somehow), they served pretty well for the most part but Sara definitely felt weak, at least partially because I never found a sword worth a poo poo until the last floor. Being fast as gently caress did make her quite effective at chasing down rhinos though and helping where needed. Final floor almost went real bad - it started fine, the rooms near the crystal all sucked but Max's ability at least let me scrape some extra dust together and get a room with a shop (and dust-vendor that I sold a bunch of poo poo to) and a couple minor-module only rooms to defend, eventually it felt like I had it under control, operating the 2 stat boost modules because I didn't really need more resources, then at some point I guess I just opened too many doors and before I know it there's 2 rhinos breaking down doors, Ken somehow got run over by a huge pile of bullshit despite guarding the easy side with like 1 room?? I don't know what happened, but it was obvious that it was time to go, so Max grabbed the crystal and we just ran for it with waves of dudes from all sides. I did get the achievement for opening all the doors in the run though so maybe I can stop taking unnecessary risks like that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This game is so great. I enjoyed Endless Space and Legend quite a bit, and thought this looked like a neat but relatively shallow side project.

After about five minutes I thought I had the whole thing figured out. After an hour all the systems I hadn't even noticed started to click. After three hours I was in a "one more turn" stupor.

I managed to squeeze out a victory on very easy, with just one hero left. Since I was learning the game I basically researched everything and wasted a lot of resources, though, so I look forward to going in with something resembling a plan.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is there any way to move items from the inventory to the "saved for next floor" area? I had four items saved for next floor, including a vacuum, and when I reached it I only had one of the three.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Azran posted:

Is there any way to move items from the inventory to the "saved for next floor" area? I had four items saved for next floor, including a vacuum, and when I reached it I only had one of the three.

You should be just able to click move them, unless you're full of course.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This game's random level generation can be intensely frustrating. After several hours of careful planning on sweating, I got to Floor 11 on Easy. Then, not only did the game not award any Dust for seven rooms straight, it also decided to spawn a Skele that set the Defense of all heroes to ZERO for five loving turns. I pretty much insta-wiped on the next set of waves.

Whoever thought such a debuff was a good idea should be shot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm doing a drill playthrough, up to floor 17 so far (so close to the last ship) and I just got a map with two mayor module slots and no merchants or characters.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

enraged_camel posted:

This game's random level generation can be intensely frustrating. After several hours of careful planning on sweating, I got to Floor 11 on Easy. Then, not only did the game not award any Dust for seven rooms straight, it also decided to spawn a Skele that set the Defense of all heroes to ZERO for five loving turns. I pretty much insta-wiped on the next set of waves.

Whoever thought such a debuff was a good idea should be shot.

This is why I say Warden Mormish is among the better characters; dust generation is key to surviving the higher floors. Furthermore, do not skimp on research. Having rooms and rooms of turrets to deal with waves of enemies before they even reach your characters in the first place is key. Make use of the fact that enemies will not spawn in rooms that you have characters in, if you're short on dust. This will minimize the number of enemies that spawn, and you can just retreat everyone to a kill room. By far the worst Stele is the one that makes enemies ignore characters, though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, Mormish is amazing. Kept me all the way to floor 22 thanks to his dust ability. I had a moment's lapse and I lost two characters. :stare: Also!

This bug is incredibly annoying. It doesn't show my cursor, but I'm trying to deploy a mayor module on the room in the screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Azran posted:

Yeah, Mormish is amazing. Kept me all the way to floor 22 thanks to his dust ability. I had a moment's lapse and I lost two characters. :stare: Also!

This bug is incredibly annoying. It doesn't show my cursor, but I'm trying to deploy a mayor module on the room in the screenshot.

Jesus Christ you have so much SIF.

• Locked thread