Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Problem description:
I purchased a new EVGA GeForce GTX 750 TI to replace a failing 550 TI. I installed it, and turned on my machine. Windows detected the hardware change, correctly identified the device in device manager, and then automatically installed the drivers. Upon restart, my machine makes it to the Windows starting screen, then goes completely black. To get the machine to do anything, I have to start in safe mode (which I think bypasses the drivers for the card?).

Attempted fixes:
Per the only useful advice I could find on Google, I uninstalled the drivers and ran DDU which turned off Windows automatically trying to find the drivers. I then installed using the drivers provided on a disk in the box, which resulted in the same problem. I reseated the card and made sure the ancillary power cable (which the old card also used) was plugged in. My monitors are both using adapters (one has a VGA to DVI, the other has a DVI to HDMI, as this card as one each of DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort(????) ports), so I tried unplugging the one with the new dvi-to-hdmi adapter that I had also just bought, which did not make a difference. I have not tried moving it over to the other PCI-E port because it fits more awkwardly in there, and wasn't sure I needed to since Windows recognizes it when I start up with no drivers installed.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
Just the new card.

Operating system:
64-bit Windows 7 Pro

System specs:
custom built machine, with the following specifications:
MSI motherboard (couldn't find the model number because I suck and am bad)
i5 sandy bridge processor
2x 4GB DDR3 RAM (clocked at... 1666hz I think?)
1TB SATA HDD
Previously a Geforce GTX 550 TI, recently deceased
600W PSU
DVD R/W optical drive

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit: One thing I forgot that I also checked: when I uninstall the drivers and start Windows normally, I have no other display adapters beyond the card, including hidden ones.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of PSU exactly?

Try running DDU again and installing the latest Nvidia beta drivers rather than what was in the box.

• Locked thread