Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will bring this dynasty to an end?
This poll is closed.
Cletus's Recruiting Cheat Codes 2 22.22%
Responsibilities of Life 1 11.11%
Goon Meet Gone Wrong 1 11.11%
Nathan 1 11.11%
EA Bullshit 4 44.44%
Total: 9 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

DYNASTY RULES

1) I will be the first truly cruel commissioner of this era. There's not an actual timetable that I have in mind, because I am human and realize that every situation isn't always the same. However, if you have a CPU game I expect that poo poo to be played by no longer than 72hrs(excluding extraordinary circumstances of course). I don't care if you sim plays to see that it's done. The rate at which we advance will be very arbitrary and to my preference.

2) Please communicate in the thread on a regular basis. It takes but a minute to post about your schedule or any problems you're having in the dynasty.

3) Don't play like a jerk: nano blitzes, 24/7 no-huddle, putting speed WRs at TE(w/o officially changing his position), or in memory of my dear friend Bio - changing a CB to QB, ya know, poo poo like that. I'm not gonna get more specific then that so use your brain. If you have to think twice about it then you probably shouldn't do it in the first place.

4) You can reset CPU games as much as necessary to get the win. Please, no rage quitting against other users, and let's not destroy a user team that isn't available to play for that week. Just do enough to get the win.

CONFERENCE SETUP
We will be using schools from both the BigTen and Pac12 conferences, but consolidating them all under the B1G due to loss of players. This means that anyone joining after the season has started will have to choose a B1G team this season, but can switch to a PAC team(if desired) during the next off-season. Looks like we're to the Wild West as everyone will be shooting for a spot in the B1G CG, and possibly the Rose Bowl.

BigTen
East
Michigan - cletus42o, GT: cletus42o
Michigan State - Diodeous, GT: BenedictWong
Ohio State - Notorious ZSB, GT: JDMTyte
Penn State - Texas A. Wreckus, GT: QuickDrawQuincy

West
Nebraska - John Brown, GT: True Cryme
UCLA - AfterFather, GT: BJTheRealist
USC - Slywalker13, GT: Slywalker13
Wisconsin - Dubious, GT: Dubious28SS

SETTINGS
Difficulty - All American; Recruiting is at Varisty
Quarters - 6 minutes
No QB Quiz, Ice the Kicker is On, Home Field Advantage is on.

Dynasty Name: SASBigTenPac12
Password: Goonball4eva

In short, don't be a dick and pay attention to the thread you bastards. So without further ado, let's get to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

gently caress a write-up.

We're at Week 1 and everyone has a CPU game.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
I see how it is. When Big Blue wins it all, there is no fancy write-up.

CONSPIRACY

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Got a huge drop off in team quality this year, but definitely gunning for Cletus

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

quote:

#2 Nebraska at #24 Texas
Bowling Green at #3 Ohio State
#5 Notre Dame at #1 Michigan
#14 UCLA at Maryland
#4 USC at #12 Texas A&M
#11 Michigan State vs #8 Miami
Penn State at TCU
Wyoming at #21 Wisconsin

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
#1 Michigan over #5 Notre Dame, 73-24.

Dick Butt for Heisman! TE Butt has a crazy game, 21 receptions for 358 yards and 5 TDs.

Yeah, I was trying to pad his stats. Who wouldn't want to see Dick Butt in the Heisman race? You would all be doing it.

I did however mass sub in the 4th quarter. Shane Morris finished the first 3 quarters going 29/38 for 460 yards with the 5 TDs to Butt and 1 INT. Backup QB Brown comes in and goes 7/7 for 105 and 2 TDs.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
Weird, after one of my resets TA&M came out with a completely different game plan. Same formations but instead of heavy pass attack, primarily option, may have just been a statistical anomaly.

Apparently my Offensive line was much better last year, I didn't realize how decimated it was by the offseason.

I'm liking my kicker with his dreads, that alone will make the next several seasons fun.

I tried controlling your my safety on D like you do JB since it's so frustrating to play against and I was completely worthless. Any tips? I try to play d-line to basically take me OUT of the play since I screw things up more often than help but figure maybe it's time for me to work on a weakness.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
just fyi JB I'm in Germany now and didn't get a chance to play against wyoming so i'll be AP until Nov 9th

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Slywalker13 posted:

I tried controlling your my safety on D like you do JB since it's so frustrating to play against and I was completely worthless. Any tips? I try to play d-line to basically take me OUT of the play since I screw things up more often than help but figure maybe it's time for me to work on a weakness.

The best way to learn playing the safety is to go to practice mode and try it out for an hour. You'll be able to gauge how and when to break strafing, how quickly you need to close on routes, and you'll even recognize play action plays much better. For instance, if at the snap you're primarily focused on WRs/TEs you'll see them taking off. Therefore I don't usually fall for many of those fake handoffs.

Also, if you're playing a zone blitz D then make sure there are at least 3 defenders deep, and have them play more to the middle (coverage adjustment). Sometimes when I blow coverage my CB on the outsude will leave his man while the ball is in the air, and come over and make a play.

Once you get the basics down then we'll talk about baiting throws.

Dubious posted:

just fyi JB I'm in Germany now and didn't get a chance to play against wyoming so i'll be AP until Nov 9th

It's all good. I think you'll win the sim against Wyoming, and then you have a bye. I hope you set up your recruiting board well because the first few weeks are the most crucial. I just got a couple of insta commits myself. If you'd like some tips then speak up and I'm sure Cletus and Sly will share their wisdom.

Wreckus and ZSB, we're advancing Monday night.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

John Brown posted:

It's all good. I think you'll win the sim against Wyoming, and then you have a bye. I hope you set up your recruiting board well because the first few weeks are the most crucial. I just got a couple of insta commits myself. If you'd like some tips then speak up and I'm sure Cletus and Sly will share their wisdom.

I started to set my board but didn't get to finish it. Not sure how I can even get insta-recruits without having anywhere close to the skill unlocked yet. I was just sorting guys by top 5 interest in my school, but that's probably way off the mark.

I'm gonna finish it with the web app tonight (it'll be Monday morning for you guys so i'm not worried about missing it), just not sure how to scout skills with the app as I don't see an option.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

In the early stages, just fill your board with the 4 and 5 stars who have you as their #1 through #3 schools. Scout them all the way, and you should have a good core of 10-15 players to offer scholarships. Usually you'll still have some points leftover, so use those to fill your recruiting board with your top in-state players, regardless of where they rank. Usually I will go after people for positions of need in that stage. Scout them and dump the rest of your points into the couple of players you want to close on, or you can go after players that might have you as their #1 or #2 that you can sway. Keep doing that for your first few weeks until you've got at least 15 or 20 key players to focus in on and then you can assign your points

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

What Dio said and this: know when to give up on a recruit, and refresh and fill your board every single week up until about week 12/13. If you fight for every recruit you're gonna lose out on a bunch. Additionally, as the season goes on more recruits will become available to you.

Finally, it's crucial that you get the timing of visits down. If you max out in points then that player will become 10-15% closer to being locked each week. The goal is to have a 1500-1700pt lead by the time a player reaches %100 locked because then he'll commit. Pay attention to when your top competitors have home games, and schedule your visits accordingly. If you're leading early on with a recruit, you want to try and schedule that visit around 80-85%, but the situation can be different for each prospect.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

We've advanced to Week 2!

tOSU, Wisconsin, and Penn State all won their sims! gently caress yea.

First User Matchup of the Season:
#7 Michigan State (Diodeous) at #3 USC (slywalker)

CPU Games:
OSU
Penn State
UCLA

Byes:
Wisconsin

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
I see. Leaving me out of the posts now too. I knew you were against me!

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
Ok Dio let's open the season with a bang and a Trojan victory! I can play most days from 12-3 EST and otherwise am good most the weekend I think as long as it's early.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I work full time so it's gotta be the weekend

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

John Brown posted:

We've advanced to Week 2!

tOSU, Wisconsin, and Penn State all won their sims! gently caress yea.

First User Matchup of the Season:
#7 Michigan State (Diodeous) at #3 USC (slywalker)

CPU Games:
OSU
Penn State
UCLA

Byes:
Wisconsin

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Are these your official picks? Formal request for a game line and over/under with each user game each week by the commish.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Given our recent games, I would say you're favored by 10

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Slywalker13 posted:

Are these your official picks? Formal request for a game line and over/under with each user game each week by the commish.

Nah just random Gameday gifs of this weeks big game.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Lol haven't been able to pay attention to this, so I'm glad I won. Less glad the recruiting board was set by the CPU but whatever. I can live dangerously, cause we all know if you ain't outta control, you ain't in control.

e: Oh god its even worse the CPU did nothing with the recruiting board, so no scouting with the preseason gently caress so bad. This season is already a wash for recruiting. I won't be landing any quality recruits and it looks like I'd have had a solid board if I had been able to get to it. DISASTER LOL

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 6, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

You told me it was all good man. I would've waited if you needed more time lol.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

John Brown posted:

You told me it was all good man. I would've waited if you needed more time lol.

Its all good, I didn't realize it would play out how it did since it handles other recruiting tasks I forget just fine lol. Lesson learned, I should have enough depth to float me for one season of lost recruiting, who knows how long EA is going to keep these servers up anyway.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Its all good, I didn't realize it would play out how it did since it handles other recruiting tasks I forget just fine lol. Lesson learned, I should have enough depth to float me for one season of lost recruiting, who knows how long EA is going to keep these servers up anyway.

luckily probably at least another year, Madden 13 servers are still up. I looked at my PS3 team before I gave the game away a few weeks ago.

Also, thanks for the recruiting tips; helps make more sense of it and I like my board so far.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Still gonna fight for recruits, just know it'll be a class full of 68 ovr chumps.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Still gonna fight for recruits, just know it'll be a class full of 68 ovr chumps.

It doesn't have to be if you started scouting players ranked 65+ this week. Not to mention there are still plenty of untouched 4*s floating around. By the way, I'll advance us as soon as Dio and Sly duke it out.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Sly, Saturday is really good for me. I wake up early and I'm free until the evening

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Diodeous posted:

Sly, Saturday is really good for me. I wake up early and I'm free until the evening

I can try for 8 am est and if not then how about around 10am?

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Sounds good

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
745 AM would work best for me as the latest start. If you can go before that's gravy let me know when you'd like to start.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Earliest I can start is 730

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005

Diodeous posted:

Earliest I can start is 730

See you then if it won't be too much of a bother

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I'm usually up then anyhow to feed the dogs so it's no problem. see you in the morning

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

My game froze as soon as it ended so in hope your end uploaded the results. GG sly. USC over MSU 35-21

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
USC over MSU 35-21. While I miss having a more mobile QB, this guy has an absolute cannon. Launched the ball over 60 yards to the opposite field (on a throw into double coverage but USC somehow comes up with it). GG Dio. I felt in control most the game but It's been a while since someone has run over me like that.

Cletus, I could probably go today or tomorrow around 3PMish. Let me know when works for you but I won't have a better idea of the actual time until gametime.

edit: oh and the first 4 guys I offered scholarships to this week insta-committed. Good week.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Yeah man you were definitely in control the whole game. My receivers were locked down and I didn't get a lot of pass rush so you were working me over. My kickoff game was kind of hosed because the slight lag was messing with the timing so I was scared you were going to run one back. You're going to be tough to beat, dude

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Slywalker13 posted:

Cletus, I could probably go today or tomorrow around 3PMish. Let me know when works for you but I won't have a better idea of the actual time until gametime.
I'm in Miami right now but will get back early tomorrow. 3pm will probably work for me.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

We've advanced to Week 3!

We've got some marquee matchups happening.

User vs User:
#3 OSU (ZSB) @ #10 UCLA (AF)
#1 USC (Sly) @ #2 Michigan (cletus)

CPU Games:
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Byes:
Penn State
Michigan State

Let's aim for a Wednesday night advance.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I may finally have the defense this season to do the damage I usually expect to do. My qb has a noodle arm, but I've had my starter get injured every year sooo.

AF Sunday morning work for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

I may finally have the defense this season to do the damage I usually expect to do. My qb has a noodle arm, but I've had my starter get injured every year sooo.

AF Sunday morning work for you?

Yeah Sunday Morning works for me

• Locked thread