Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

SocketWrench posted:

That's great. Really, it is. Now when you see overwhelming vitrol for them, then I can understand the complains about "why isn't there a thread for X?". Besides, I don't see the cops get worshipped like firefighters have ever since some Muslims blew up a few towers despite them being involved and loosing people too. I hardly ever see them mentioned when it comes to all the "Never Forget!" specials and shows.

There's entire TV channels devoted to how great cops are and politicians can lose elections if they don't praise cops enough. How many more TV shows and movies about heroic cops saving the day need to be made for you to feel appreciated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't understand open container laws. I've never seen them enforced ever.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

katlington posted:

This poo poo is great, is your dad a cop or something? Waaahhat about all the good things they do? Like the time a cop did a thing any normal person with means and opportunity would do or the time i benefited from their corruption when they let me go for some sort of infringement, boy i was gratefull for that!

I love the policeman,

Dying on the ground.:3:

Oh my yes, because I defended the idea of seeing a thread that wasn't a repeat of gently caress the popo I must be a cop loving a cop from a long family line of cops. Grow up.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

There's entire TV channels devoted to how great cops are and politicians can lose elections if they don't praise cops enough. How many more TV shows and movies about heroic cops saving the day need to be made for you to feel appreciated?

Are you talking about Cops? Or that True Stories show? You know, the two shows that either look staged to gently caress or embellish the gently caress out of the situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand open container laws. I've never seen them enforced ever.

You have to have an open container and act like a complete horse's rear end before cops give a poo poo.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Oh my yes, because I defended the idea of seeing a thread that wasn't a repeat of gently caress the popo I must be a cop loving a cop from a long family line of cops. Grow up.

You seem really upset about those uppity firefighters getting all the 911 love. You also said something about there not being enough garbage man hate? I was being generous trying to figure out where your posts are coming from, if dad was a cop that would explain it. Where else do you get the idea that cops are being unfairly shat on in society, idk maybe you're just an idiot?

e:

SocketWrench posted:

Are you talking about Cops? Or that True Stories show? You know, the two shows that either look staged to gently caress or embellish the gently caress out of the situation.

Like how do you see these programs and still say what you just did? But the shows are scripted edited to make the police look good and the bad guys look bad, this is evidence of a bias against the police.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 2, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

katlington posted:

You seem really upset about those uppity firefighters getting all the 911 love. You also said something about there not being enough garbage man hate? I was being generous trying to figure out where your posts are coming from, if dad was a cop that would explain it. Where else do you get the idea that cops are being unfairly shat on in society, idk maybe you're just an idiot?

I think you best reread. No where did I say there wasn't enough, just that there really isn't compared to the mountains of gently caress the police stuff. You're basically trying to change what I said.

quote:

Like how do you see these programs and still say what you just did? But the shows are scripted edited to make the police look good and the bad guys look bad, this is evidence of a bias against the police.

I personally think it manipulates the retards of society and makes the cops look like morons or paid off actors, myself. One show you've got Sheriff what's his name embellishing and lying about video, the other you've got cop cameo go bust the rednecks/black guys. Neither really does anything positive except give people some action to watch or to laugh at the worst of society.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

PT6A posted:

You have to have an open container and act like a complete horse's rear end before cops give a poo poo.

Or be black.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Or be black.

He said "you" not people he doesn't listen to :smug:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

SocketWrench posted:

I'm talking about shows like that that consistently portray police as the Good Guys and the multiple procedural shows that show the police as heroes. Teachers, firefighters, paramedics, child protection workers and even soldiers are lucky to get a show praising them, police get multiple a year and still you feel they're persecuted. Similarly several of the highest grossing movies each year lavishly praise the police, one might criticise them.

Could you detail how much more disproportionate the praise for police needs to be for you to feel satisfied?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=517WVJNdO5g

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Homeland and NCIS are probably the worst examples of cop love shows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Homeland and NCIS are probably the worst examples of cop love shows.

NCIS is more troop love than anything else. That sounds similar but it's a very different field of worship, especially since quite often the antagonists of an episode are either the FBI, the CIA, or Mossad (also usually some random terrorists but that's assumed).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ratoslov posted:

Or be black.

You still have to be acting like a prick in general. The problem is that most of North America, regardless of race, has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, so most people with an open container will be acting like a horse's rear end at any given time.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

:colbert:

gently caress cops tho

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't understand where all the cop hate is coming from?? Look, as a white male in America, I

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I once spent the night in a police cell (I should have been there).

In the morning the police gave me back the best part of 5g of Plantfood / Bathsalts that they had taken from me when I was locked up for the night, because it was a couple of weeks before that stuff got made illegal in the uk.

it was literally 5g of white powder in a bag like this:

and the cops gave it back to me.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Xibanya posted:

Once in Madrid a friend of mine was walking down the street smoking a jay. A cop saw him and told him to put it away. My friend put it out and the cop hosed off and didn't fine him or anything.

A madrid cop clearly saw me drinking a can of beer outside Pacha and didn't do poo poo.

Now I live in Texas and can't get away with that anymore.

They tend to leave you alone as long as you're not being obnoxious and if you're (white) Spanish. If you're an obvious tourist or immigrant they're far more likely to give you poo poo. They love busting Brits in particular, which is good, because Brits in Spain are garbage and poo poo

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
once in a bust a policeman held me by my neck and almost threw me into the ditch with chest-height water where i had thrown my pot stash in

then he got a radio call about a house getting robbed

he left me alone to go solve the violent crime situation. good priority management, keep up the good work boys in khaki camo

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A policeman uhh, wait, poo poo. Let me think. Good experience, not bad. Ummmmmmmm.

One time I found a wallet outside my workplace and it only took the cops around 5 hours to come pick it up? That was something?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

wheez the roux posted:

They tend to leave you alone as long as you're not being obnoxious and if you're (white) Spanish. If you're an obvious tourist or immigrant they're far more likely to give you poo poo. They love busting Brits in particular, which is good, because Brits in Spain are garbage and poo poo

loving guiris.

Yeah in Madrid they will bend all the rules of you're not obviously not from around here. I remember once I was trying to get into a club and they were carding because it was tourist high season and the club was near Callao (I think it was Bash, which doesn't exist any more) and I didn't have my ID but I had my monthly bus pass (abono). the adult passes don't have a date of birth and are literally cardstock with a cut out photo booth picture of you stuck to it in a plastic sleeve. Even the ID number is hand written. You could make this poo poo at home. so I decided to use my abono as an ID anyway. The bouncer told me it wasn't valid but I begged him to let me in and he decided to let it slide.

Cop stories?

Once I was at a crazy loud party near Valdezarza. A group of friends were renting a two story house and they had like 100 people over (people ended up drinking in the street for want of space in the house.) The cops showed up because there was a noise complaint. One of the guys renting the house told the cops we were all celebrating a wedding. The cops were like, oh well in that case, carry on!

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
One time I was in a youth hostel in Portland Oregon that all radical chic with anarchist symbols plastered everywhere and "people's republic of portland" stickers. This homeless black guy from the neighborhood who was off meds kept walking in and talking to people in the hostel so they called the cops on him. The cop showed up to take care of it but the guy left already when he arrives. A white guy who was at the hostel start talking with the cop and is like oh are we allowed to drink alcohol in public in parks in this city and the cop goes "well technically this is against the law, but as long as you don't look like one of THOSE PEOPLE YOU KNOW WINK WINK we won't give you trouble for it HAHAHA"

This is my cop story

Oh wait I have another cop story:
In my city there's a law forbiding public gatherings and the cops beat us up whenever we protest against the government and arrest us with no charges and all that crap. Then the government took away their pensions because of austerity and now there was a huge protest and the cops didn't do anything and the leader of the cops told the news "hey you can't ask people to follow the law when the government doesn't respect pensions"
I guess the moral of the story is cops can be cool sometimes you just gotta take away their pensions

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If a cop tries to arrest you, turn around and perform a citizens arrest. Now you are the cop.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Gropiemon posted:

Of all the cops that have ever lived, most are dead.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was goign 38 in an (unmarked) 20 zone and got a warning, so yay police! I always get warnings and get out of tickets. I assume it's because I'm charming (white).

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

One time I got a ticket for going 50 in a 35 while going 35-40. He could also tell I was speeding because I was pulling away from cars behind me that weren't there. I politely asked to see the readout of how fast I was going and he declined because traffic was too busy making it unsafe. It was so busy that someone in an unmarked civilian car pulled up next to him, stopped their car in an active roadway and sat there bullshitting with him for 5 minutes while zero cars went by. gently caress cops.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LorneReams posted:

I was goign 38 in an (unmarked) 20 zone and got a warning, so yay police! I always get warnings and get out of tickets. I assume it's because I'm charming (white).

I missed a school zone sign and got pulled over by Ferguson PD with a car loaded with supplies for the protests. I got a warning. Being white and having military ID is awesome.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I once had a cop be nice to me at college. They weren't useful, since someone had stolen my debit card and was spending all my money at the stores around campus and they didn't want to do anything about it, but I eventually learned (when they decided I was getting too annoying) that all the security cameras were fake and didn't actually record anything so they didn't have any of the leads I had assumed they would have. They were very polite though.

Then one of them found out I was homeless and hounded me off campus and wouldn't let me park in the spot I was paying for any more "because it was too dangerous" for me to be in the brightly lit parking lot I was paying several hundred a year for and which apparently has police patrols and I'd be 'much safer' anywhere else where that wasn't on campus like maybe out in the woods or in the bad part of town where the police don't go. Also all the cops that won't even let me take naps even though I have a condition making it difficult to stay awake for long periods they apparently would rather I be weaving all over the road than pull over for 15 minutes every four hours to pull myself together - each time telling me where I should be instead, going to where they said, and getting kicked out of there by yet another police officer.

Wait no gotta keep it to good experiences, one sec... uh...

I'm glad they never roughed me up, even the one time that I was kind of a jerk (admittedly, I was a jerk to mall security and they DID rough me up, but the police officer was actually really chill and helped calm down the situation so genuine kudos for that one).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A cop gave me a ticket for going a foot over the yellow line while taking a right turn at stop light and called it a "passing on the right" violation but then he was kind enough to be sloppy and forgot to bring my information to court so the judge threw it out. Before it was my turn like three women said the officer was an rear end in a top hat to the judge but he didn't really care.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I had a cop get me thrown in a psych ward for 20 days one time... the thing is that he is no longer a cop because he got drunk 2 years after that, plowed his honda pilot into the back of a truck on the highway at 9:30 in the morning on a monday. He then left the scene of the accident, went to a donut shop, where he had the police called on him. He then got a bunch of other police officers and a tow truck company in trouble because he asked for a ride home and lied about some stuff related to the accident (I don't know why he didn't get arrested at the time) All that happened to him afterwords was a year of probation, a resignation from his police duties, and maybe some token alcohol classes.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Apthous posted:

(I don't know why he didn't get arrested at the time)

I'll give you a couple of guesses...

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I have a theory: cop niceness is proportional to jurisdiction size.

RCMP: good. Places where the cops are bitter ex high-school athletes: not good.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Once my boss and I were fixing a truck in a parking lot when one of the daytime cops who knows him drove up to say hi. They were talking about guns and while I was doing something under the hood the cop saw my holster. He asked what kind of gun I had so I pulled up my jacket to show him. We finished fixing the truck, everyone parted ways on good terms and I didn't get shot in the face for having a gun near a cop.

Thanks, Officer Hutt!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Isentropy posted:

FBI: :geno:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Once my boss and I were fixing a truck in a parking lot when one of the daytime cops who knows him drove up to say hi. They were talking about guns and while I was doing something under the hood the cop saw my holster. He asked what kind of gun I had so I pulled up my jacket to show him. We finished fixing the truck, everyone parted ways on good terms and I didn't get shot in the face for having a gun near a cop.

Thanks, Officer Hutt!

Just be white and have a friend who knows the officer and you'll never have problems with the police.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I saw two police officers outside my local school. There was a noticeable lack of dead children, so good on them for showing some restraint.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isentropy posted:

NYPD/LAPD?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ytlaya posted:

NYPD/LAPD?

Jurisdiction as in population size.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
NYT with an article on how departments check against their wishlists when deciding which assets to seize.

But don't worry, the police are executing these duties with all the sensitivity and fair-mindedness we could hope for. Just ask Mercer County forfeiture unit chief Sean McMurtry:

quote:

“I can’t tell you how many people have come in and said, ‘Oh, my hijito would never do that,’” [McMurtry] said, mimicking a female voice with a Spanish accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I appreciate the fact that the police on this forum are confined to their own little hugbox where they're free from hearing any criticism.

• Locked thread