Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Apthous posted:

Simply pulling someone over to check if their license is renewed is blatantly illegal.

Your wrong. Your welcome now for learning something. As a thanks you should go appreciate some fine police officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Untagged posted:

Your wrong. Your welcome now for learning something. As a thanks you should go appreciate some fine police officers.

No you are wrong. I'm not talking about license plates, I'm talking about licenses. The police cannot pull over people at random to check to see if their license has been renewed.

Let me say that I am under the impression that it is not possible to see whether someone's license has been renewed by checking their license plate, if it is then they most likely have the legal right to pull you over. But they cannot pull you over to gather information that is not accessible from checking the license plate or other obvious external signs such as that.

Apthous fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 15, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Apthous posted:

No you are wrong. I'm not talking about license plates, I'm talking about licenses. The police cannot pull over people at random to check to see if their license has been renewed.

Let me say that I am under the impression that it is not possible to see whether someone's license has been renewed by checking their license plate, if it is then they most likely have the legal right to pull you over. But they cannot pull you over to gather information that is not accessible from checking the license plate or other obvious external signs such as that.

In many states running a license plate will also give you the driver's license info on the registered owner. If it's expired that shows up as well.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

beanieson posted:

In many states running a license plate will also give you the driver's license info on the registered owner. If it's expired that shows up as well.

Ok if that is the case then I think it is within the law. I am just reacting to the idea that the police can pull you over to get specific information. This isn't Nazi Germany, the police can't just pull you over to "check your papers" without some legal reason to do so.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Apthous posted:

Ok if that is the case then I think it is within the law. I am just reacting to the idea that the police can pull you over to get specific information. This isn't Nazi Germany, the police can't just pull you over to "check your papers" without some legal reason to do so.

Right. and I appreciate that about the police :sun:

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Apthous posted:

And there I was thinking the police could temporarily detain you to ascertain if you were committing a crime or not if they had reason to suspect you were.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Apthous posted:

See I specifically said it's situational. And you said...

Apthous posted:

No it is not situational. There are a limited amount of reasons that the police can pull someone over. Simply pulling someone over to check if their license is renewed is blatantly illegal.

But since your an idiot and can't handle being told your wrong, won't do your own research, or will keep moving the goalposts (see above) I'll help you out.

"Appellate courts in other jurisdictions have consistently held that an officer's knowledge that a driver's license was suspended at some relatively recent time is sufficient to create reasonable suspicion of unlawful activity and support an investigatory stop of the vehicle. See United States v. Lutz, 207 F. Supp. 2d 1247, 1255 (D. Kan. 2002) (officer knew defendant's license had been suspended and defendant had a prior conviction for driving under suspension); Stone v. State, 856 So. 2d 1109, 1112 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2003) (officer knew driver's license had been suspended four or five weeks prior to the current stop); State v. Wade, 673 So. 2d 906, 907 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1996) (officer had conducted a records check less than two weeks before the current stop which showed driver's license was suspended); State v. Leyva, 599 So. 2d 691, 693 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1992) (officer had four-to-five-week-old knowledge the driver's license was suspended); State v. Carrs, 568 So. 2d 120, 121 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1990) (officer had cited the driver for driving with an expired license within the past week); State v. Harris, 513 S.E.2d 1, 3-4 (Ga. Ct. App. 1999) (officer learned a "few weeks" prior to the stop that the driver's license was suspended); State v. Brown, 733 So. 2d 1282, 1287 (La. Ct. App. 1999) (officer had run a records check one day before the stop showing driver's license was suspended); Commonwealth v. Deramo, 762 N.E.2d 815, 817 (Mass. 2002) (officer had learned two months earlier that driver's license was suspended); State v. Duesterhoeft, 311 N.W.2d 866, 867-68 (Minn. 1981) (officer had learned one month earlier that driver's license was suspended); City of St. Paul v. Vaughn, 237 N.W.2d 365, 368-69 (Minn. 1975) (officer had run a license check one month earlier showing suspected driver's license was suspended); State v. Bue, 985 S.W.2d 386, 390 (Mo. Ct. App. 1999), overruled on other grounds by State v. Withrow, 8 S.W.3d 75 (Mo. 1999) (officer knew driver's license had previously been revoked and driver had driven without a valid license in the past); State v. Yeargan, 958 S.W.2d 626, 633 (Tenn. 1997) (officer had learned six months earlier that driver's license had been suspended for one year); State v. Gibson, 665 P.2d 1302, 1304-05 (Utah 1983) (officer had learned four months earlier that driver's license was suspended); State v. Howk, 2004 WI App. 88, 679 N.W.2d 928 (Table) (officer had run a records check thirteen days earlier showing driver's license was revoked); State v. Kassube, 659 N.W.2d 499, 500-01 (Wis. Ct. App. 2003) (officer knew driver had not had a license for many years, and driver had told officer within the prior eleven months that he did not have a license)."

So stopping someone who previously and/or recently has been stopped for driving without a license or other license related issue to check on that same issue is, in fact, BLATANTLY LEGAL. Should I post YOUR WRONG again or would your head explode.

Now go thank a cop in person and while your there apologize to them for pretending to know anything about the law on the internet.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

lol

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
If you ask them if they are a cop they have to tell you or it's illegal to arrest you.

Also: Untagged should change careers to cop with that sort of beatdown!

Spacman fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 16, 2014

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Gropiemon posted:

Of all the cops that have ever lived, most are dead.

I thoroughly appreciate the great work done by the police in providing us with the raw data for this post. Long may it continue.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Untagged posted:

Wrong thread. Show some appreciation. Appreciation posts only.

i think cops are worth 5, maybe 10 dollars

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Untagged posted:

Now go thank a cop in person and while your there apologize to them for pretending to know anything about the law on the internet.

All of those are different than just randomly pulling someone over to "check dere papahs" like it is the loving Third Reich.

Get some help bro maybe you will be less angry at people on the internet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I appreciate cops owning these posters so I can laugh at them.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

RagnarokAngel posted:

I appreciate cops owning these posters so I can laugh at them.

If you think that is "owning" someone then boy do I have news for you. Almost all of the cases you posted were examples of cops pulling people over with information that they were driving on a suspended license, which is far different than pulling someone over to check if they had their license renewed. And the poo poo about pulling people over that the police know have a history of driving with a suspended license/unrenewed license seems of dubious constitutional validity and is the type of thing that the Supreme Court often takes a poo poo on.

hth

Apthous fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 16, 2014

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
I think Message in a Bottle is one of the finer things you can be listening to in your car while driving :) maybe I'll be listening to it when a cop pulls me over (knock on wood)

http://youtu.be/ObL3L6MRvN4

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Apthous posted:

If you think that is "owning" someone then boy do I have news for you. Almost all of the cases you posted were examples of cops pulling people over with information that they were driving on a suspended license, which is far different than pulling someone over to check if they had their license renewed. And the poo poo about pulling people over that the police know have a history of driving with a suspended license/unrenewed license seems of dubious constitutional validity and is the type of thing that the Supreme Court often takes a poo poo on.

hth

One could assume the poster who said he got pulled over about the renewed license had previously been pulled over while it was expired. Police work in action.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Branis posted:

One could assume the poster who said he got pulled over about the renewed license had previously been pulled over while it was expired. Police work in action.

The difference between that and pulling someone over for a suspended license is that you have confirmed information that someone is driving around illegally, in the other case you are just guessing that they are driving around illegally.

It is like the difference between "I have confirmed information that someone is transporting cocaine" and "This guy probably has some coke". Enacting laws that let you profile and detain people based on previous offenses is not something that I think has much legal validity outside of sex offender laws.

Apthous fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 16, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Apthous posted:

hth

Cop burns best burns.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

RagnarokAngel posted:

Cop burns best burns.

No, they will probably just bury officer Wilson after the execution.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Also why did you think I was Untagged.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Police procedural TV marathons are a great way to kill a random afternoon, so I guess thanks for that.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
I would like to personally thank the officers that came out to investigate my next door neighbor that did time for felony child abuse and assault. It was refreshing to see you spend time joking and laughing with his room mate, a former officer from your own department that's now mentally disabled with violent tendencies. I know it's terribly stressful and difficult being a police officer and you really do deserve breaks from your jobs, and I'm glad to see that you guys got one. I especially appreciate your assumptions about everyone else being at fault for his actions, it really is nice to see comradery that extends beyond the shield and really, it must be really hard to be the friend of a former police officer and they deserve all the breaks they can get.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

peengers posted:

I would like to personally thank the officers that came out to investigate my next door neighbor that did time for felony child abuse and assault. It was refreshing to see you spend time joking and laughing with his room mate, a former officer from your own department that's now mentally disabled with violent tendencies. I know it's terribly stressful and difficult being a police officer and you really do deserve breaks from your jobs, and I'm glad to see that you guys got one. I especially appreciate your assumptions about everyone else being at fault for his actions, it really is nice to see comradery that extends beyond the shield and really, it must be really hard to be the friend of a former police officer and they deserve all the breaks they can get.

Are you insinuating that the police don't give a gently caress about child abuse? This is the police appreciation thread sir, not the police lies thread.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Apthous posted:

Are you insinuating that the police don't give a gently caress about child abuse? This is the police appreciation thread sir, not the police lies thread.

I would never ever insinuate that the police would overlook something like that. If a former officer or the friend of one were involved in a reprehensible and criminal act, I am sure that the police doing the investigation would be impartial and would treat everyone involved fairly, just as they would treat a random stranger accused of a crime.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

peengers posted:

I would never ever insinuate that the police would overlook something like that. If a former officer or the friend of one were involved in a reprehensible and criminal act, I am sure that the police doing the investigation would be impartial and would treat everyone involved fairly, just as they would treat a random stranger accused of a crime.

That 2 year old wanted it your honor just look at how slutty it is sucking that pacifier and poo poo like a dirty whore.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Apthous posted:

In the spirit of genuine police appreciation I spent about an hour on and off the phone with an officer last week as we tried to figure out how to negotiate with an rear end in a top hat tyrant father how to get a girl out of her abusive household. She sounded genuinely concerned. She also sounded young; I wonder if she'll still be a cop in a few years.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Untagged posted:

This isn't necessarily true and is very situational. There is also a good chance he's exaggerating. It's DandD.

Shall I post the complaints I filed?

Cause that's why it's happening...I filed a complaint when he pulled me over the first time and unlocked my car and searched without consent.

And now he pulls me over whenever he sees me.

Welcome to the suburbs.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Spacman posted:

Sounds like he is doing a great job. If you are willing to break the law by not renewing your license you likely believe other laws also don't apply to you.

Well done officer x. Keep checking this poster out!

Also, he can check that by running the plates...which are valid and were valid at the time of the initial stop. Which is why I was stopped.

Not making excuses for my license being suspended...forgot to pay on another ticket on another BS stop (pulled over because the officer didn't recognize the printed temp plate through the DMV slapped me with failure to be insured THE DAY I HAD BOUGHT THE CAR WHILE I WAS ON MY WAY TO THE AGENCY. Even though I disagree with suspension of a right for late payment of a fine.

He's stopping me to inconvenience me. Which is why he keeps getting complaints.

EDIT: He found out the SECOND TIME that I had been reinstated...every time after that falls into a gray space or blatant harassment or AoP.

FTP

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 16, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

I disagree with suspension of a right for late payment of a fine.

Driving is a privilege though :confused:

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

beanieson posted:

Driving is a privilege though :confused:

I'm not going to get into the semantics of what is covered under Freedom of Movement.

For much of American history, the right to travel included the right to travel by the vehicle of one's choice, and courts occasionally struck down regional regulations that required licenses or government permission to travel on public roadways. With the advent of the automobile, however, courts began upholding laws and regulations requiring licenses to operate vehicles on roadways. Constitutional scholar Roger Roots has referred to the forgotten right to travel without license as "the orphaned right."[19]

But we kind of let the courts shaft us on this one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I'm not going to get into the semantics of what is covered under Freedom of Movement.

For much of American history, the right to travel included the right to travel by the vehicle of one's choice, and courts occasionally struck down regional regulations that required licenses or government permission to travel on public roadways. With the advent of the automobile, however, courts began upholding laws and regulations requiring licenses to operate vehicles on roadways. Constitutional scholar Roger Roots has referred to the forgotten right to travel without license as "the orphaned right."[19]

But we kind of let the courts shaft us on this one.

It's universally accepted that driving is a privilege under the law-arguments to the contrary are not worth debate. Rather than calling Roots a constitutional scholar, it might be more appropriate to call him a fringe author, perennial libertarian candidate and white hood enthusiast.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 16, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Ah, the sovereign citizen defense! That always goes over well.

Feel free to walk next time you want to establish your freedom of movement.

Edit.

I told you there was going to be an exaggeration. D&D style.

check that I had renewed my license since the first time he pulled me over.

Not making excuses for my license being suspended...

We went from the simple traffic infraction of an expired license to full on arrestable misdemeanor of driving on suspended license in less than two full posts. Tell us more about what your leaving out.

You mean ATP.

APPRECIATE THE POLICE

Untagged fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 17, 2014

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Untagged posted:

We went from the simple traffic infraction of an expired license to full on arrestable misdemeanor of driving on suspended license in less than two full posts. Tell us more about what your leaving out.

You mean ATP.

Driving on a suspended license is a municipal violation where I am from. AKA moving violation.

Sorry...reinstated.

Non payment of fines results in a temporary suspension.

So get your facts straight.

Also I thought FTP means 'Find the Pear'

I've lost a pear and I don't want it rotting and getting all moldy near my work station.

EDIT: Revoked is a permanent - or long term suspension of 'privileges' for things like DUI and Felony Reckless
Suspended is a temporary - pay your fine and give the DMV $60 because reasons or we will just keep ticketing and fining you.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 17, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

So get your facts straight.

Sorry dude, I'd like to reply to your statements but I won't do so until you review my FEE SCHEDULE and we establish some JOINDER up in this thread. If not you run the risk of me filing for ownership of your CAT.

Enjoy driving without a license, sovereign! And while you at it be sure to not follow any lane markings and never stop at red lights, that poo poo is for freeman posers. Everyone knows the second you follow just one traffic law you have thereby submitted your allegiance to the rest of the Admiralty's gold fringe flag traffic laws.

Cupcakes for Cops Appreciation Day 2014.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Untagged posted:

Sorry dude, I'd like to reply to your statements but I won't do so until you review my FEE SCHEDULE and we establish some JOINDER up in this thread. If not you run the risk of me filing for ownership of your CAT.

Enjoy driving without a license, sovereign! And while you at it be sure to not follow any lane markings and never stop at red lights, that poo poo is for freeman posers. Everyone knows the second you follow just one traffic law you have thereby submitted your allegiance to the rest of the Admiralty's gold fringe flag traffic laws.

Cupcakes for Cops Appreciation Day 2014.

I was speaking to the fact of driving suspended being an arrestable offense...

Seriously.

I'm not against all laws. So maybe instead of trying to paint me as an inflammatory moron you could chill out and maybe have an intelligent discussion?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Untagged posted:

Enjoy driving without a license, sovereign!

Youre a cop and in a gang arent you?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/20/local/la-me-sheriff-clique-20120420

quote:

Other cliques — with names like Grim Reapers, Little Devils, Regulators and Vikings —- have been accused of breeding a gang-like mentality in which deputies falsify police reports, perjure themselves and cover up misconduct.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2012/09/sovereign-citizens-a-clear-and-present-danger.aspx

quote:

Sovereign Citizens: A Clear and Present Danger

Citizen priorities between LA Times and "policemag".

:allears:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I appreciate that cops need circlejerk threads to survive on the internet just like they need the circlejerk blue line to survive in real life.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Apthous posted:

No it is not situational. There are a limited amount of reasons that the police can pull someone over. Simply pulling someone over to check if their license is renewed is blatantly illegal.

Illegal doesn't mean it's criminal.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
As for traffic stops, some states (e.g., Minnesota) require multiple DWI offenders to drive with whiskey plates. This is a stipulation, necessary to get your license back, that you may only drive your own vehicle, which has whiskey plates. You also consent to police stops without cause other than the whskey plates. I used to work for a lawyer who had them. Cops hated him, as a good DWI-defense lawyer (for other people).

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Cops hated him, as a good DWI-defense lawyer (for other people).

This made me :lol: because a good attorney can literally be "Cops hate him! One easy trick to get out of DUIs"

• Locked thread