Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Wow its like Roland barthes never happened. I heard that sopranos was conceived as a two-serieser but due to its success chase decded to pad it out for another four, not as good seasons which is fair enough I suppose.

e. For content I think £150 per household is excellent value for money for radio 3 and bbc4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

EvilGenius posted:

There's also a place for Dad's Army. His name is Dave.

Seriously though, given that 18 to 30s pay the same licence fee as the people who (still) watch Dad's Army, do the BBC not have a duty to that audience? I totally agree that that age group aren't watching telly any more, but is that exactly because the majority of broadcast media is for people aged 40+? What are the BBC going to do when the people for whom TV was the main media source all die off?

I'm not sure as many of these people as you think pay license fees. I certainly don't. It's far easier to just watch what I want when I want by linking my computer to the TV and streaming it (and it's completely legal).

e: and realistically, they're never going to notice if you do decide to occasionally use iplayer's live function.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Sorry you idolise sociopaths and violent criminals I guess?

David Chase has repeatedly complained many viewers of The Sopranos were watching it for the tits and murders rather than the deeper themes he was hoping to engage viewers with. Then when he finally was blatant enough for the slower viewers to realise a violent, unfaithful and greedy criminal was bad they suddenly flipped and wanted the most violent possible death for Tony Soprano in order that he was punished.

The point is The Sopranos wasn't popular for the reasons it was good, it was a happy accident.

It's the problem of the antihero, same was true in Breaking Bad (and there were no nipples or swearing in that at all), the writers were uncomfortable with their antihero being loved (in Walter White's case they even had him poison one child and dissolve another in acid, and he was still loved by the fans). The creator wanted the fans to hate Walt, for the villain he was, but they had spent so much time early on making him the underdog that it was probably too much to ask for. It's almost as if subverting the "protagonist as hero" standard is difficult to pull off in episodic format TV.

In Britain a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, corrupt, violent, drunk, unpleasant police officer becomes the fan favourite and goes on to have a spin off show (it's happened twice, Gene Hunt and DI Burnside).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Let's talk about obscure british shows that demonstrate the unsung quality of British broadcasting. I will nominate The Cops for achieving the remarkable feat of simultaneously channeling the sentiment behind ACAB and also the essence of Night Jack.

It were right good. And also very political, like, and therefore completely on topic ITT.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LemonDrizzle posted:

Let's talk about obscure british shows that demonstrate the unsung quality of British broadcasting. I will nominate The Cops for achieving the remarkable feat of simultaneously channeling the sentiment behind ACAB and also the essence of Night Jack.

It were right good. And also very political, like, and therefore completely on topic ITT.

Does "Darkplace" count as obscure? Whatever, watch "Garth Merengi's Darkplace".

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not sure as many of these people as you think pay license fees. I certainly don't. It's far easier to just watch what I want when I want by linking my computer to the TV and streaming it (and it's completely legal).

e: and realistically, they're never going to notice if you do decide to occasionally use iplayer's live function.

Why doesn't everyone do this, then we can all have the BBC for free! Yeah!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

HortonNash posted:

Why doesn't everyone do this, then we can all have the BBC for free! Yeah!

I used to agree, but the way the BBC has acted with regards Scottish politics recently I'm not giving them a penny and if that leads to them imploding I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

The most depressing thing about The Cops - apart from it not lasting long enough - is that all the cast who are still known today are best known for Coronation Street.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I used to agree, but the way the BBC has acted with regards Scottish politics recently I'm not giving them a penny and if that leads to them imploding I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the future McMurdoch broadcasting corporation then.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
BBC Documentaries and Drama on TV and lots of great Radio content shouldn't be lost just because BBC News doesn't reflect your viewpoint.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

HortonNash posted:

It's the problem of the antihero, same was true in Breaking Bad (and there were no nipples or swearing in that at all), the writers were uncomfortable with their antihero being loved (in Walter White's case they even had him poison one child and dissolve another in acid, and he was still loved by the fans). The creator wanted the fans to hate Walt, for the villain he was, but they had spent so much time early on making him the underdog that it was probably too much to ask for. It's almost as if subverting the "protagonist as hero" standard is difficult to pull off in episodic format TV.

In Britain a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, corrupt, violent, drunk, unpleasant police officer becomes the fan favourite and goes on to have a spin off show (it's happened twice, Gene Hunt and DI Burnside).

Men like fast cars, women with big boobies, and they don't want the Euro. And that's all there is to it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

That argument only works if you don't watch or listen to the BBC as well as not paying.

I boycott Nestle because they kill babies, that doesn't mean I get to nick Kitkats if I fancy one.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd have no problem paying the license fee if broadcasting was fully devolved, but it isn't so I wont.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

keep punching joe posted:

I'd have no problem paying the license fee if broadcasting was fully devolved, but it isn't so I wont.

So you don't watch or listen to the BBC right?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

How would that work then?

Lots of community access TV stations making programming for £3.59 per programme but in your local accent and on your street?

Have you considered voting Tory, they tried to set up that exact thing (and get the BBC to pay for it)?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

BBC Documentaries and Drama on TV and lots of great Radio content shouldn't be lost just because BBC News doesn't reflect your viewpoint.

Less that, more that they abjectly fail to be as impartial as they pretend to be; they're institutionally reactionary, set up to defend the status quo, and quite possible corrupt. I think their non-political output is unsurpassed, but the problem is it's wedded to a heavily biased and flawed organisation that really shows where it's asked to report on more contentious issues (especially those that threaten it).

I don't have an answer as to how we could maintain the good aspects of the institution while doing away with the bad though. Maybe have seperate news/education/entertainment divisions? I really don't know. I do know something about it has to change before I'll be comfortable funding it though.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

That argument only works if you don't watch or listen to the BBC as well as not paying.

I boycott Nestle because they kill babies, that doesn't mean I get to nick Kitkats if I fancy one.

It wouldn't necessarily be inconsistent to do this tbh

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 1, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Yes it WOuLD you awful cheapskate

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

So you don't watch or listen to the BBC right?

No I don't as a matter of fact, in fact I probably only watch about one or two hours of TV a week and it will generally be a US serial drama.

HortonNash posted:

How would that work then?

Lots of community access TV stations making programming for £3.59 per programme but in your local accent and on your street?

Have you considered voting Tory, they tried to set up that exact thing (and get the BBC to pay for it)?

It would work by license payers in Scotland paying money directly to a Scottish state broadcaster, and buying in additional shows they may want from the BBC... or anywhere else for that matter. If Denmark can produce critically acclaimed serial dramas then Scotland certainly loving can.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Burqa King posted:

Yes it WOuLD you awful cheapskate

Why? The issue is you don't want to fund the bastards. So don't fund them. Stealing their stuff is kind of superfluous to that, and if you have a moral objection to their organisation it could be seen as, in a roundabout way, a further (minor) act that undermines them.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Sorry you idolise sociopaths and violent criminals I guess?

David Chase has repeatedly complained many viewers of The Sopranos were watching it for the tits and murders rather than the deeper themes he was hoping to engage viewers with. Then when he finally was blatant enough for the slower viewers to realise a violent, unfaithful and greedy criminal was bad they suddenly flipped and wanted the most violent possible death for Tony Soprano in order that he was punished.

The point is The Sopranos wasn't popular for the reasons it was good, it was a happy accident.

Im glad that makes you feel special. Congrats m8.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ThomasPaine posted:

Less that, more that they abjectly fail to be as impartial as they pretend to be; they're institutionally reactionary, set up to defend the status quo, and quite possible corrupt. I think their non-political output is unsurpassed, but the problem is it's wedded to a heavily biased and flawed organisation that really shows where it's asked to report on more contentious issues (especially those that threaten it).

I don't have an answer as to how we could maintain the good aspects of the institution while doing away with the bad though. Maybe have seperate news/education/entertainment divisions? I really don't know. I do know something about it has to change before I'll be comfortable funding it though.

No organisation is perfect and if at least of its output has value it is only reasonable to continue to fund it. Do you boycott films or TV made by subsidiaries of News Corporation or Time Warner? Both Corporations have Cable News arms that are considerably worse than BBC News yet also produce very entertaining media in other formats.

If you do then fair enough but if you consume and find valuable the output of an organisation then it is unreasonable and unwise to refuse to pay for that output because a different part of the organisation is bad.

DrWrestling69 posted:

Why would anyone feel special about being able to understand basic subtext in a TV show?

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 1, 2014

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

No organisation is perfect and if at least of its output has value it is only reasonable to continue to fund it. Do you boycott films or TV made by subsidiaries of News Corporation or Time Warner? Both Corporations have Cable News arms that are considerably worse than BBC News yet also produce very entertaining media in other formats.

If you do then fair enough but if you consume and find valuable the output of an organisation then it is unreasonable and unwise to refuse to pay for that output because a different part of the organisation is bad.

I see your point, but how do you encourage improvement where it is needed if you continue to implicitly endore an organisation as a whole?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

DrWrestling69 posted:

Does read a bit like middle class sneering at their "lessers" doesn't it.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ThomasPaine posted:

I see your point, but how do you encourage improvement where it is needed if you continue to implicitly endore an organisation as a whole?

Public criticism and calling to account. Right Wingers (who admittedly have a far larger platform than the left) have been very successful in dragging the BBC to the right by constantly complaining of BBC Liberal bias.

African AIDS cum posted:

Does read a bit like middle class sneering at their "lessers" doesn't it.
Don't be so insecure.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Why would anyone feel special about being able to understand basic subtext in a TV show?

Idk but i am glad it is working out for you.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

HortonNash posted:

Wait, did Hunt have a spin off, or was Life on Mars/Ashes a spin-off?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

It would work by license payers in Scotland paying money directly to a Scottish state broadcaster, and buying in additional shows they may want from the BBC... or anywhere else for that matter. If Denmark can produce critically acclaimed serial dramas then Scotland certainly loving can.

Ahh.

BBC Scotland and BBC Alba not catering to your televisual needs? What do they lack?

What pressing need would duplicating the bureaucracy of the BBC, but with a saltire and accent, do that BBC Scotland and BBC Alba can't?

What about independent Scottish production houses, are they currently turning out your Scandinavian detective shows? Because if they're not, who are you going to get to make them? Shine/Sky? Is there a market in Scotland for Scandinavian detective shows?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Wait, did Hunt have a spin off, or was Life on Mars/Ashes a spin-off?

Ashes was written as the Hunt spin off I believe.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

DrWrestling69 posted:

Idk but i am glad it is working out for you.

It is very strange you mistook a simple explanatory statement for a boast. Do you often feel people using big words are talking down to you or boasting about being smart?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Do you really think a potential employer is going to give a gently caress about the 1974 act when they have someone who doesnt have a record to choose from. They still show up on a CRB even if spent.

One of the things we were told at the start medical school was not to let yourself get pressured into accepting a caution for this reason.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

HortonNash posted:

Ahh.

BBC Scotland and BBC Alba not catering to your televisual needs? What do they lack?

They lack funding

BBC Scotland made huge cuts to current affairs broadcasting, including the sacking of a raft of senior journalists during the most important political event in the history of the country. They axed flagship TV news and popular radio shows to save cash, and then outsourced in journalists from London. In the end we received better coverage from Channel 4 news and the chronically poor STV (who at least made a decent fist of trying to undertake actual broadcast journalism). For one week 'London' decamped in Edinburgh to discover that all broadcasts had to be done from outside as BBC Scotland does not even have a studio in the capital city.

quote:

What pressing need would duplicating the bureaucracy of the BBC, but with a saltire and accent, do that BBC Scotland and BBC Alba can't?

Why would we want to duplicate the BBC, is that the only option available to us? What is wrong with wanting a state broadcaster that reflects the needs of your own country and not the needs of the bigger country next door?

quote:

What about independent Scottish production houses, are they currently turning out your Scandinavian detective shows? Because if they're not, who are you going to get to make them? Shine/Sky? Is there a market in Scotland for Scandinavian detective shows?

Eh there isn't really any, because once again money goes South and does not get invested in TV production in Scotland. The budget for public service broadcasting in Scotland is about £80m per year, yet over £300m is raised in TV licenses. We do not get value for money of any sort, and would be better off investing in our own broadcasting and just buying in MOTD and Top Gear or whatever the baking thing is that people on Facebook seem to like.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 1, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

One of the things we were told at the start medical school was not to let yourself get pressured into accepting a caution for this reason.

Why is that something that would come up in a medical education specifically?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why is that something that would come up in a medical education specifically?

Presumably if you can't pass a CRB you can't practice medicine. Lot of interaction with children in that line of work.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

They lack funding

BBC Scotland made huge cuts to current affairs broadcasting, including the sacking of a raft of senior journalists during the most important political event in the history of the country. They axed flagship TV news and popular radio shows to save cash, and then outsourced in journalists from London. In the end we received better coverage from Channel 4 news and the chronically poor STV (who at least made a decent fist of trying to undertake actual broadcast journalism). For one week 'London' decamped in Edinburgh to discover that all broadcasts had to be done from outside as BBC Scotland does not even have a studio in the capital city.

Why would we want to duplicate the BBC, is that the only option available to us? What is wrong with wanting a state broadcaster that reflects the needs of your own country and not the needs of the bigger country next door?

Eh there isn't really any, because once again money goes South and does not get invested in TV production in Scotland. The budget for public service broadcasting in Scotland is about £80m per year, yet over £300m is raised in TV licenses. We do not get value for money of any sort, and would be better off investing in our own broadcasting and just buying in MOTD and Top Gear or whatever the baking thing is that people on Facebook seem to like.

I'd love to hear more about what a Scottish state broadcaster would look like. And where better to discuss it, than in the 100% official Scottish thread? You can find it online here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678161

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Burqa King posted:

I'd love to hear more about what a Scottish state broadcaster would look like. And where better to discuss it, than in the 100% official Scottish thread? You can find it online here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678161

0 effort

gas and start again

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Ripper Street was loving awesome, and is returning to the BBC after a HoC-style run on Amazon Prime.

On the whole if you're not interested in crime thrillers you're possibly a bit hosed when it comes to BBC output, but the stuff they are putting out now is pretty drat good. The Shadow Line/The Honourable Woman were great big-budget productions, Hinterland and Shetland take the focus out of the south, Death in Paradise and New Tricks are huge fun, and Doctor Who/Sherlock have huge international followings. Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes may have been best known for the everythingist figure of Gene Hunt, but they were also loving awesome in their own right.

I possibly have an unhealthy interest in cop shows. :/

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So RT UK is launching apparently, and RT is already claiming they're being victimised by the establishment media.

Anyway, does anyone know if RT UK goes through the same editing structures as RT, or whether the narrative creation gets handed off to someone else?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Ripper Street was loving awesome, and is returning to the BBC after a HoC-style run on Amazon Prime.

On the whole if you're not interested in crime thrillers you're possibly a bit hosed when it comes to BBC output, but the stuff they are putting out now is pretty drat good. The Shadow Line/The Honourable Woman were great big-budget productions, Hinterland and Shetland take the focus out of the south, Death in Paradise and New Tricks are huge fun, and Doctor Who/Sherlock have huge international followings. Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes may have been best known for the everythingist figure of Gene Hunt, but they were also loving awesome in their own right.

I possibly have an unhealthy interest in cop shows. :/

Cop shows are easy because cops can have a new main mystery every episode/series, lots of side plots, encounter lots of different characters daily and the depth of human depravity/ingenuity means that there's always going to be horrific or clever crimes to investigate. Bit more tricky to write one about archaeologists..hence Bone Kickers!

Probably why there are literally dozens of procedurals in the US at any one time too.

Same goes for medical dramas.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

So RT UK is launching apparently, and RT is already claiming they're being victimised by the establishment media.

Anyway, does anyone know if RT UK goes through the same editing structures as RT, or whether the narrative creation gets handed off to someone else?

It's the same. Did you hear the dreadful interview their rep gave on Today last week? In general I think plurality of news is healthy, but I don't follow it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Burqa King posted:

It's the same. Did you hear the dreadful interview their rep gave on Today last week? In general I think plurality of news is healthy, but I don't follow it myself.

A plurality is good, a channel that makes poo poo up to serve a foreign government, not so much. Same goes for PressTV, who also complained of being victimised by the UK "establishment".

The Indy had a good article about the opening of RTUK, and how one of their first reports about the UK was blatant lies (they claimed a epidemic of car thefts, despite car crime falling by a truly ridiculous amount over the last 10 years).

• Locked thread