Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Burqa King posted:

It's the same. Did you hear the dreadful interview their rep gave on Today last week? In general I think plurality of news is healthy, but I don't follow it myself.

RT is pretty popular in Scotland because their reporting on the indyref was actually more evenhanded and balanced (and sometimes a bit Yes-leaning, I will admit) than most of what we were getting from the BBC or ITV or whatever. I keep having to explain to people that it's the literal propaganda machine for the Kremlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I heard they are pretty good for contrarian issues (no offence)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

keep punching joe posted:

What is wrong with wanting a state broadcaster that reflects the needs of your own country and not the needs of the bigger country next door?

Scotland isn't a 'state' and the UK isn't a country 'next door'.

Coohoolin posted:

RT is pretty popular in Scotland

How popular is it?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HortonNash posted:

Bit more tricky to write one about archaeologists..hence Bone Kickers!
Jesus gently caress don't do that.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

CoolCab posted:

Presumably if you can't pass a CRB you can't practice medicine. Lot of interaction with children in that line of work.
Also carer work of the non technical type which is abundant and requires no training, ruled out of all of that. Anything involving money, cashier. Anything with a protected area like food production. All sorts of things. Pretty much anything government, traffic warden librarian you name it.

e: Im struggling to think of any job ive either applied for or done over the past few years which didnt need the whole 'i consent for you to crb me if you want' form done. Just 1 a couple of years ago for a small software house.

vvv
dont know about enhanced but a caution will show on a normal one anyway i think not sure

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 1, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Seaside Loafer posted:

Also carer work of the non technical type which is abundant and requires no training, ruled out of all of that. Anything involving money, cashier. Anything with a protected area like food production. All sorts of things.

You need a enhanced CRB to be a cashier?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm sorry for a potentially weird question, but why is this particular initiative (the Living Wage Foundation) happening? Is it a result of the current legislature being essentially impossible to budge on the issue of an increase in the federal minimum wage? It seems like a case of deep political paralysis, as well as an overall negative view of parliamentary institutions amongst the electorate.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
At a guess it is Big Business trying to do an end run around Labour (possibly) legislating a better minimum wage or other form of compensation. When there was the Referendum in Switzerland to force the lowest paid worker to be paid only 10 times less than the highest in a company it was pointed out it could be easily gotten around with subcontracting, which a lot of firms do anyway.

So in this scenario rather than the minimum wage increasing for everyone employees of say Google get a living wage but the subcontracted cleaners, maintenance people and so on don't. It sounds good but leaves lot of room to gently caress over the people who need a wage increase the most.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Presumably if you can't pass a CRB you can't practice medicine. Lot of interaction with children in that line of work.

These days you get enhanced CRB checked to get into the Medicine courses at uni, although once you are qualified you have to try pretty hard to get struck off.

Like taking sick leave to commentate on horse racing and turning up to your crisis meeting to lie to their faces with a new suntan in the autumn.

twoot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 1, 2014

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

RT is pretty popular in Scotland

Evidence please.

RT is an atrocious news channel for anything other than wanting to see what Russia things of the western world. I've certainly never come across anybody who takes it as anything more than a curiosity. And gently caress, if referendum coverage is the most important thing in the world to you, Jesus Christ, reevaluate please.

Also, a Scottish broadcaster would be utterly appalling, it would have almost no budget & what exactly would we get but another River City? Yes, the BBC needs to work better at its current affairs coverage in Scotland, but you can say the same about in pretty much every region of the UK that isn't London. I don't think a Scottish Broadcasting Corporation, presumably funded at least partially by godawful adverts to make up for the tiny license fee, would produce very much worth watching, barring the sort of comedy shows like Burnistoun that, whaddya know, the BBC is already picking up.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Also, a Scottish broadcaster would be utterly appalling, it would have almost no budget & what exactly would we get but another River City? Yes, the BBC needs to work better at its current affairs coverage in Scotland, but you can say the same about in pretty much every region of the UK that isn't London. I don't think a Scottish Broadcasting Corporation, presumably funded at least partially by godawful adverts to make up for the tiny license fee, would produce very much worth watching, barring the sort of comedy shows like Burnistoun that, whaddya know, the BBC is already picking up.

What is RTE in Ireland like? Presumably a Scottish PSB would be similar in scale and scope.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Tommorow's Mail on Sunday front page is a perfect example of why you shouldn't make t-shirt slogans the be all and end all of social justice.

Then again, there are some commentariat feminists who thought the great feminist struggle of the twenty first century is to get a woman on the tenner (in between harassing trans people and sex workers).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TinTower posted:

Tommorow's Mail on Sunday front page is a perfect example of why you shouldn't make t-shirt slogans the be all and end all of social justice.

Um if wearing a t-shirt with a slogan on it won't convince people I don't know what will!!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I don't know what's more surprising: the Daily Mail attacking low pay or defending foreigners.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

Evidence please.

RT is an atrocious news channel for anything other than wanting to see what Russia things of the western world. I've certainly never come across anybody who takes it as anything more than a curiosity. And gently caress, if referendum coverage is the most important thing in the world to you, Jesus Christ, reevaluate please.

Am I the only person who routinely sees people posting RT videos about the indyref on facebook? Or the only person who's frequently told by people that they watch RT to get a different perspective? Sure, it's not like anything else on tv levels of popularity, but it's part of the discourse.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Am I the only person who routinely sees people posting RT videos about the indyref on facebook? Or the only person who's frequently told by people that they watch RT to get a different perspective? Sure, it's not like anything else on tv levels of popularity, but it's part of the discourse.

Maybe. I have a few staunchly Scottish nationalist friends on facebook and I've not heard of them apart from in this thread.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Seaside Loafer posted:

vvv
dont know about enhanced but a caution will show on a normal one anyway i think not sure

I have never been checked, enhanced or otherwise, for a job as a cashier.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

keep punching joe posted:

What is wrong with wanting a state broadcaster that reflects the needs of your own country and not the needs of the bigger country next door?

I live in the UK. That is my country.

You could also say you live in Scotland which is also a country. But not a state. The UK is both a state and a country. The state broadcaster is for the whole country. I have no idea why you think it cannot serve Scotland. Is the reaction to anything being perceived as "not leftist enough" really going to be a yell for independence or separate special Scottish edition of whatever institution because grow the gently caress up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

HortonNash posted:

What is RTE in Ireland like? Presumably a Scottish PSB would be similar in scale and scope.

Same license fee but with adverts and full of tv from *gasp* a foreign country.

Coohoolin posted:

I suspect your facebook friend list is not a representative sample of the Scottish population.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 2, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Obliterati posted:

I don't know what's more surprising: the Daily Mail attacking low pay or defending foreigners.

Sounds like they're attacking the paradoxes inherent in struggle within the capitalist system!

Or maybe they're just attacking Labour and feminism in general, it's a tough call

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Regarde Aduck posted:

100% of Scots need to stop whining. Boohoohoo we need a special government just for Scotland! Ah but Cornwall doesn't need a special government. The North of England, a place that truly suffers, that doesn't get free prescriptions and free higher education, they don't get a special government. Some random street near Birmingham that really hates the Tories, they don't get a special government.

Full federalization of the UK or nothing fuckos. You can take your selfish polls which show nothing but entitlement from a supposed leftist population and shove them up your arse.

In 2052 when Scotland has finally broken off via UDI (27% wanted independence it was totally legit) I hope militant northerners suicide bomb you as the class traitors you are.

If you feel that the north of England gets a raw deal and that it would benefit from having its own parliament (something I wholeheartedly agree with) then get off your arse and campaign for it. It took a full century of hemming and hawing about home rule from Westminster for Scotland to get the parliament that it has. The UK is so disgustingly centralised because nobody has ever truly challenged the idea that a bunch of people in London know what's best for the entire country (and specifically England in recent times), and everybody suffers for it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
curiously-timed bleeding hearts about the low pay of foreigners (THAT ARE TAKING ARE JARBS) is really nothing new to populism

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Grow the gently caress up says the man who hoped for Northern English terrorist cells to kill the Scottish.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

I have never been checked, enhanced or otherwise, for a job as a cashier.

that's probably just as well

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is the reaction to anything being perceived as "not leftist enough" really going to be a yell for independence or separate special Scottish edition of whatever institution because grow the gently caress up.

I saw Independence as a good thing for the right wing in Scotland. We could have shed our phobia of centre-right political parties.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Regarde Aduck posted:

because grow the gently caress up.

:ironicat:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Full federalization of the UK or nothing fuckos.

And you get to decide to implement this...how?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Burqa King posted:

that's probably just as well

well yeah, no point invading my privacy for a job that doesn't need it (especially when there's no criminal record)

Extreme0 posted:

And you get to decide to implement this...how?

Hello welcome to the UK Political Megathread where we discuss British politics, which can also include political ideas that may not become manifest. I hope you enjoy your stay

(in before communism snark)

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Aromatic Stretch posted:

I saw Independence as a good thing for the right wing in Scotland. We could have shed our phobia of centre-right political parties.

Look Scotland is just naturally left wing, that's why the SNP, rather than genuinely left wing parties, is benefiting overwhelmingly from the collapse of the Lib Dems and Labour.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
How can the Nats even get to watch Russia Today, anyway? I thought that they'd all burnt their TV Licenses and sworn blood oaths to never consume any professional media ever again except for the Sunday Herald.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The two people I've seen post RT stuff on Facebook are people I wouldn't trust having a discussion about politics with if my life depended on it.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Look Scotland is just naturally left wing, that's why the SNP, rather than genuinely left wing parties, is benefiting overwhelmingly from the collapse of the Lib Dems and Labour.

Who else are they going to vote for, exactly? The Tories? Scotland is in serious danger of being a one party state simply because nobody is presenting an alternative. Maybe the Scottish Greens will have got their poo poo together by next election cycle but right now they seem to be trying to figure out how to handle the possibility people might actually vote for them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The SNP are more left wing than ether of those parties.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

College Slice

ReV VAdAUL posted:

What left wing parties are you thinking of? There aren't many of them in the entire UK at this point. One of the reasons the SNP are becoming so popular is because like them or not they do represent a radical change from Westminster as usual, and that appeals to a lot of people right now. Elsewhere in the UK this disaffection has been captured by Nigel Farage's troupe of well-trained clowns unfortunately, which ends up pushing even more Scots toward the SNP (and other pro-independence parties!)

I do feel there's an enormous gap in the market for a UK-wide centre-left federalist party right now. Maybe the Lib Dems will go "gently caress it" and start agitating for real reforahahah who am I kidding :smith:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ok seriously what is kicking off all this federalism talk? Is it just Scotland wanting to have a go alone and having a pretty good go at Westminster while doing it? RIC activists I've spoken to mostly appeal to the idea of people caring more if they're closer to their governing body but local elections seem to say that's bollocks and splitting real powes down further seems to me to be the best way of making London impervious to sentiment of the rest of the country while setting the pace economically.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

dadrips posted:

What left wing parties are you thinking of? There aren't many of them in the entire UK at this point. One of the reasons the SNP are becoming so popular is because like them or not they do represent a radical change from Westminster as usual, and that appeals to a lot of people right now. Elsewhere in the UK this disaffection has been captured by Nigel Farage's troupe of well-trained clowns unfortunately, which ends up pushing even more Scots toward the SNP (and other pro-independence parties!)

I do feel there's an enormous gap in the market for a UK-wide centre-left federalist party right now. Maybe the Lib Dems will go "gently caress it" and start agitating for real reforahahah who am I kidding :smith:

Vote SNP, Plaid, and... do any parties in Norn Iron propose an independent Ulster? Found one and vote for them. Also Cornwall, Northumberland, Mercia, etc etc gently caress London and the Southeast.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
An independent Scotland is viable if not nearly as rosy as Nationalists pretend but seriously, how on earth would an independent Wales survive let alone make life better for Welsh people?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The same way every other country of comparable size/population/resources does?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ReV VAdAUL posted:

An independent Scotland is viable if not nearly as rosy as Nationalists pretend but seriously, how on earth would an independent Wales survive let alone make life better for Welsh people?

Re-erect Offa's Dyke, shut Wales off from the mainland, we will finally create the human-sheep hybrid that will make Wales glorious and delicious.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

College Slice

namesake posted:

Ok seriously what is kicking off all this federalism talk? Is it just Scotland wanting to have a go alone and having a pretty good go at Westminster while doing it? RIC activists I've spoken to mostly appeal to the idea of people caring more if they're closer to their governing body but local elections seem to say that's bollocks and splitting real powes down further seems to me to be the best way of making London impervious to sentiment of the rest of the country while setting the pace economically.
If we wanted to do federalism really well then we'd have to acknowledge that concentrating both the wealth and the power of the entire country in London was a terrible idea, and do something about that. I like to think it's more than a coincidence that most of the UK's colonial ventures like Canada, Australia and the U.S. chose to designate their capitals as outwith any one state/province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

dadrips posted:

If we wanted to do federalism really well then we'd have to acknowledge that concentrating both the wealth and the power of the entire country in London was a terrible idea, and do something about that. I like to think it's more than a coincidence that most of the UK's colonial ventures like Canada, Australia and the U.S. chose to designate their capitals as outwith any one state/province.

Sadly it probably is. Canada didn't pick Ottowa, Queen Victoria did. Fwiw disembedding capitals like that only makes the problem worse anyhow. D.C. is by its nature cut off from pretty much all U.S. politics: hell, they don't even get representatives. The problem isn't London specifically - it's in the nature of powerful and corrupt administrations to excessively centralise regardless of the pre-existing concentrations of power/wealth. What money remains follows as profit and power become ever more dependent on your contacts within the government.

• Locked thread