Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

when the government spends money it simply disappears into a vacuum with no benefit to anybody

Considering the Tories' preferred spending habits (funnelling public money directly into the pockets of their wealthy friends wherever possible), this is arguably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Right but I said it was more progressive then say taking 1% off each band. You literally can't cut income tax for people who don't pay it in the first place which is why I said I'd prefer cuts to VAT which is disproportionately paid by the poor.

Yeah, oppose all flat taxes in principle, they're horrendously regressive. Apply this to the television tax, watch this thread do a flip.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

With this and other attacks by Muslim extremists around the world plus the massive sex abuse cases involving Pakistani men I wouldn't be surprised if we see another set of riots like the ones in Bradford.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

CoolCab posted:

Yeah, oppose all flat taxes in principle, they're horrendously regressive. Apply this to the television tax, watch this thread do a flip.

If they introduced a progressive TV license that would be fine by me. If people can't pay for a TV license because they are so skint they can't afford it then it doesn't really bother me either (as in not bothered that they watch it, obviously I think it's very bad that they are skint).

It's just when people say they are refusing to pay for whatever moral justification they decide they have but then still use it. It's just not how a boycott works.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

StoneOfShame posted:

That's independent Norn Iron not Ulster, Ulster as I'm sure you know is nine counties not six, that always hosed me off a bit the way the unionist parties always referred to NI as Ulster. Also I'm sure you weren't being serious but an independent NI would really struggle economically, hell it would probably be a massive burden on the South which is one of the many reasons we will never see a united Ireland.

I am more optimistic about a united Ireland but yeah obviously I was not entirely serious in my call for mass independence (I did like ReV's taking exception to Wales but not Norn Iron or Cornwall) . However, I don't know if it's just the side I grew up on, but I have only very rarely heard complaints about calling the six counties Ulster, it's just a generic term for Norn Iron these days, in my experience.

Anyway the idea that any tax structure will be more or less regressive is all predicated on the notion that people are honest, and that is obviously untrue the richer they get. More than any particular tax band solution we need to actually enforce the higher bands instead of letting people pretend they live in Jersey or the Cayman Islands or whatever.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Why do you think the assailant was Muslim? When did 'black or Asian' suddenly become to mean Muslim? That they believe he was drunk is surely suggestive that it wasn't a Muslim who did this?

I reckon its because muslims are the most likely to attack servicemen for being servicemen, such as Lee rigby

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Burqa King posted:

I reckon its because muslims are the most likely to attack servicemen for being servicemen, such as Lee rigby

I don't want to jump to conclusions myself, but the attacker isn't terribly likely to be a Tamil dude angry that we supported the Sri Lankan government instead of Tamil Eelam, or that we called the Tamil Tigers a terrorist outfit, is he? Assuming he was a Muslim is premature, but it is far from the most unreasonable assumption to make.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

LemonDrizzle posted:

David Cameron really hates taxes: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4252005.ece

The TL,DR is "a flat tax cut for everyone earning between £12.5k and £100k is progressive, the state is an oppressive bloated leviathan whose spending is intrinsically illegitimate, and when the government spends money it simply disappears into a vacuum with no benefit to anybody. Vote Conservative!"

I especially like the bit where he paints a tax cut that does absolutely nothing for the bottom 10% of earners (and the majority of those in poverty) as "the most progressive poverty-attacking tax change in history."

How does this poo poo even fly with people? What do people think benefits are for? I pay however many thousands of pounds a year into an insurance scheme that means I get support if I ever find myself unable to find employment or disabled. The majority of the British public support the NHS - how is welfare any different? Why cant the Tory's opponents sell this idea, that JSA and DLA are for YOU not 'others'? If there are people worried about the cost to society (and I don't believe there are - they just resent paying taxes that aren't spent on themselves), sell it as an investment - we pay £n to someone without a job, because they're x% more likely to find a job and contribute £n back to society. This is why implemented welfare in the loving first place.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

EvilGenius posted:

Why cant the Tory's opponents sell this idea, that JSA and DLA are for YOU not 'others'? If there are people worried about the cost to society (and I don't believe there are - they just resent paying taxes that aren't spent on themselves), sell it as an investment - we pay £n to someone without a job, because they're x% more likely to find a job and contribute £n back to society. This is why implemented welfare in the loving first place.

None of the major parties are presenting a perspective which has a communal element to it, they target demographic groups via policy but only with the aim of getting you to care about how you fit into it and what it does for you rather than any cross group solidarity. They don't know how to argue that doing something for someone else benefits you except for the ideological concept of job creators and otherwise it's arguments about how the public needs to make sacrifices for 'the UK' which once the volcano god called The Economy is satisfied will start making things better.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Burqa King posted:

Occams Razorblade

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Right but I said it was more progressive then say taking 1% off each band. You literally can't cut income tax for people who don't pay it in the first place which is why I said I'd prefer cuts to VAT which is disproportionately paid by the poor.

Yeah you can. Negative rates.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Burqa King posted:

If you ignore serviceman on serviceman drunken fights.
Or the far greater number of Irish republican attacks on servicemen than Islamic militants.

But since the kid ain't a serviceman in the first place, why does it matter?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Cerv posted:

If you ignore serviceman on serviceman drunken fights.
Or the far greater number of Irish republican attacks on servicemen than Islamic militants.

But since the kid ain't a serviceman in the first place, why does it matter?

Sounds like he was in a uniform and the muslim guy who attacked him probably didn't know the difference. I wouldn't compare politically motivated murder to bar fights either, pretty gross.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

African AIDS cum posted:

Sounds like he was in a uniform and the muslim guy who attacked him probably didn't know the difference. I wouldn't compare politically motivated murder to bar fights either, pretty gross.

Hey, here's a great idea - let's wait until we find out if it was a Muslim before immediately assuming that every non-white person in Britain prays to Allah. Maybe then we can avoid needless firebombing of mosques.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

the muslim guy
You can keep stating that but it doesn't make it fact

African AIDS cum posted:

probably didn't know the difference
15 years old. Probably pretty bloody obvious.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 2, 2014

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

what the gently caress? I hope the kid recovers. What the gently caress would make someone do that to a child?

Drugs, idealism, mental illness, lack of a castle, alcohol, had a bad day, abuse at home, magnetic influence, the giddy experience of pure pointless evil, MSG, poor economic situations, abusive surroundings, anger, HAARP, a fundamentally unfair and uncaring society and the continuing rise of rail fare prices.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

African AIDS cum posted:

Going by your av it is no surprise you would chime in about irish republican terrorists. Smgdh

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Cerv posted:

You can keep stating that but it doesn't make it fact

15 years old. Probably pretty bloody obvious.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

African AIDS cum having witnessed the crime:

'He was Latino, Arab or Mexican. Either way — very Muslim.'

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
Set on fire, LAD.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Possibly someone who really hates poppies. It's entirely plausible he was going for the poppy and the kid got his head in the way of the fire.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I'm curious what this 'bullshit' weapons charge was
I was homeless, it was scary, in my bag I had a big knife, 3 men attacked me for no apparent reason, just drunk arseholes, I managed to get to my bag and brandished it at them, that stopped them beating me up and they took off, someone saw me brandishing it and called the rozzers who found me and took me in.

Now I suppose it wasn't bullshit, it was a knife, but I cant help feeling that if id pleaded not guilty and had a lawyer (or had any money) any reasonable judge/magistrate would have said the guy was desperate and defending himself. If it actually went to trial the whole thing would have been there on CCTV. I just wanted out of jail so I agreed to the caution.

There was no way I would be capable of actually using a weapon like that on anyone, it was fear factor.

Oh and I had a lovely potential fatal seizure while in my cell overnight which the duty sergeant didn't notice on his screens.

Not a big fan of coppers.

e:
And going back to to what someone said on the previous page the knife wasnt built for purpose to inflict injury it was a gardening thing, but it was carried for the exact purpose it ended up being used for if that makes sense. I wasnt doing any gardening and I wasnt going to attack anyone but if things really got bad id pull it, that was my thought process in taking it with me and weirdly thats exactly what ended up happening. So if I hadnt taken it id have had the poo poo beaten out of me or possibly killed, instead I got arrested. Hmmm. Thats a tough one, I think I just argued myself into allowing everyone to have guns for self defence!

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 2, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

The sun should get in touch with the police. They don't have a suspect or clear motive yet, but the journalists know something they don't.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Should have just done a poo at the scary men.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Shelf Adventure posted:

The sun should get in touch with the police. They don't have a suspect or clear motive yet, but the journalists know something they don't.

They're smart. There was a small chance they could cause a riot and then they could report on that. Make your own material!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Ruh-roh.

quote:

Angela Merkel 'would accept UK exit from EU to protect migration laws'
Breaking news

Chancellor Angela Merkel would rather see the UK exit from the European Union than compromise over the principle of free movement of workers, according to the German magazine Der Spiegel.

Bluff called, I guess? Please, Christ, let it be a bluff.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
In terms of accelerationism leaving the EU is detonating the metaphorical nuke. So there's that. I mean either everything will fall apart and we'll get the change we wanted or everything will fall apart, we become somekind of failed state and then America annexes us and we get access to much better TV.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CoolCab posted:

Ruh-roh.

Bluff called, I guess? Please, Christ, let it be a bluff.

How would Germany have any choice but to accept a UK exit from the EU?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think the intent of the message is that the UK either accepts that nothing is changing or it leaves. And Coolcab's point was to hope that Cameron is just bluffing about leaving.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For too long we have ignored the threat of alcohol-induced radical islam

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PLEASE HELP THE POPPY

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

For too long we have ignored the threat of alcohol-induced radical islam

It's amusing that some of you find the idea of a drunk Muslim unbelievable but one who beheads people in the street or sets fire to poppy sellers isn't. You're saying that these violent acts are compatible with Islam. It's racist.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 2, 2014

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Seaside Loafer posted:

I was homeless, it was scary, in my bag I had a big knife, 3 men attacked me for no apparent reason, just drunk arseholes, I managed to get to my bag and brandished it at them, that stopped them beating me up and they took off, someone saw me brandishing it and called the rozzers who found me and took me in.

Now I suppose it wasn't bullshit, it was a knife, but I cant help feeling that if id pleaded not guilty and had a lawyer (or had any money) any reasonable judge/magistrate would have said the guy was desperate and defending himself. If it actually went to trial the whole thing would have been there on CCTV. I just wanted out of jail so I agreed to the caution.

If it helps, posession is a strict liability offence so the burden of proof would have been on you to prove you fell into an exemption, so the end result may not have been much different. The 'reasonable magistrates' did let the chap below off, but were overturned on appeal. I'm glad you made it out safely.

http://www.rjerrard.co.uk/law/cases/densu.htm posted:

In Evans Hughes [1972] Crim.L.R. 558 it was said, "It may' be a reasonable excuse for the carrying of an offensive weapon that the carrier is in anticipation of imminent attack and is carrying it for his own personal defence, but it is abundantly clear to my mind is that this Act never intended to sanction the permanent or constant carriage of an offensive weapon merely' because of some constant or enduring supposed or actual threat or danger to the carrier. People who are under that kind of continuing threat must protect themselves by' other means, notably' by' enlisting the protection of the police, and in order that it may be a reasonable excuse to say', 'I carried this for my own defence', the threat for which this defence is required must be an imminent particular threat affecting the particular circumstances in which the weapon was carried.''

The strictness of this test is illustrated by Bradley v Moss [1974] Crim LR 430 a juvenile was found in possession of four offensive weapons. (A length of polished steel, a two foot length of cycle chain, a metal clock weight, and a studded glove.) He was carrying them because some older youths had either chased him or threatened to assault him. Prior to his arrest he had reported those incidents to the police; and some two weeks after his arrest he was attacked by a gang of youths, as a result of which he received hospital treatment. The justices acquitted him, but on appeal the divisional Court directed a conviction; the Evans V Hughes principle did not provide a defence in the circumstances of the instant case. It was said that the justices had given an unduly wide meaning to the reasonable excuse provision.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 2, 2014

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Pissflaps posted:

How would Germany have any choice but to accept a UK exit from the EU?

I figured what she meant was that she wouldn't be prepared to accept migration curbs to keep us in.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The New Black posted:

I figured what she meant was that she wouldn't be prepared to accept migration curbs to keep us in.

Yeah that makes more sense. Good job Cameron is just a big bullshitter. Though worrying that she seems to be speaking for the EU.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

It's amusing that some of you find the idea of a drunk Muslim unbelievable but one who beheads people in the street or sets fire to poppy sellers isn't. You're saying that these violent acts are compatible with Islam. It's racist.
I have no idea if the guy's a Muslim, but "attack with an improvised weapon by a really drunk person" doesn't scream premeditated political violence to me.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

HortonNash posted:

That's akin to the "national credit card"/"UK budget is the same as a household budget" bullshit, isn't it?

He's also speaking to his core vote - it's a famous quote of Margaret Thatcher.

Margaret Thatcher posted:

There is no such thing as public money, there is only taxpayer's money.

Or in video form if you prefer, it's still quite a relevant speech today (only two minutes long).

I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again - I'm all for spending your way out of a recession, but even assuming the Conservatives balance the budget by 2019, it will have been 17 years of continual deficit spending. If Labour are elected, they haven't committed to balance the budget (once you include infrastructure spending), so presumably it will be many more years. At that point, it's not a fiscal tool, it's an addiction.

The structural deficit (i.e. that which is fundamental to the economy, not dependent on the economic cycle) needs to be tackled at some point. That's not even including the unspoken pyramid schemes of public sector pensions etc. which aren't officially counted as part of the national debt and will, at some point, need to be paid for by surpluses.

I visited Jersey earlier this year and apparently their government has a policy of maintaining a year of tax receipts in reserve, so as to shield the economy from any drops in tax take as a result of recession etc. Clearly the UK is a more complex beast, but it would have been very nice to have faced the 2008 recession with a small level of national debt, as some other fortunate countries did. Imagine how much quicker the recovery would have been in that case and how much human misery could have been avoided.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 2, 2014

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Imagine if the government had some way of creating money instead of borrowing it. Wouldn't that be weird.

Nah, instead we should look at tax havens with a population of 100,000 as a model of how to run a government.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Every pound that exists is a creation of the British government, distributed among the public according to a number of different principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Prince John posted:

If it helps, posession is a strict liability offence so the burden of proof would have been on you to prove you fell into an exemption, so the end result may not have been much different. The 'reasonable magistrates' did let the chap below off, but were overturned on appeal. I'm glad you made it out safely.
The cases there were interesting thank you, took me about 5 reads to get it but thanks!

If you have time could you explain 'strict liability offence' in moron :)

Oh and why would an appeal have been launched?

• Locked thread