Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah that makes more sense. Good job Cameron is just a big bullshitter. Though worrying that she seems to be speaking for the EU.

I very much expect most of the EU is sick of our poo poo by this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

I very much expect most of the EU is sick of our poo poo by this point

I very much expect that the impact and reach of 'our poo poo' is exaggerated by our media.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

I visited Jersey earlier this year and apparently their government has a policy of maintaining a year of tax receipts in reserve, so as to shield the economy from any drops in tax take as a result of recession etc. Clearly the UK is a more complex beast, but it would have been very nice to have faced the 2008 recession with a small level of national debt, as some other fortunate countries did. Imagine how much quicker the recovery would have been in that case and how much human misery could have been avoided.

Jersey is one giant tax racket

Why do you think the level of national debt matters at all? Look at our borrowing rates:

Look at what happened in 2008! gently caress all, in fact yields dropped because the UK was seen as a safe haven, a safe place to put capital during the global crash. It got cheaper to borrow money to invest in protecting the economy. Look at what happened around, oh, May 2010... yields stopped dropping and started to climb as the Tories' austerity began.

They did drop again, for a while - lucky, since borrowing keeps rising, because austerity doesn't help the economy. See when it starts to rise again, around Feb 2013? That's when our credit rating got downgraded, because ~the glorious markets~ started to get worried about our future prospects and our ability to repay those debts, because our recovery under the Tory/Lib Dem regime was so dire

Imagine how much quicker the recovery would have been, and how much human misery could have been avoided, if we'd made use of that confidence and low borrowing rates to invest in the economy and the safety net instead of gutting it and slowly bleeding it out

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

CoolCab posted:

Ruh-roh.

Bluff called, I guess? Please, Christ, let it be a bluff.

It's not a bluff - Merkel's spent over a year saying that Germany will back more or less whatever change the UK demands as long as it doesn't require treaty reform. Curbs on free movement of labour would absolutely require treaty reform because the free movement of goods, labour, and capital is fundamental to the common market, which is kind of the foundation stone of the EU.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pissflaps posted:

I very much expect that the impact and reach of 'our poo poo' is exaggerated by our media.

Not really, the people at the Commission I know are terrified of a UK referendum and you lot going back to Blighty.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's not a bluff - Merkel's spent over a year saying that Germany will back more or less whatever change the UK demands as long as it doesn't require treaty reform. Curbs on free movement of labour would absolutely require treaty reform because the free movement of goods, labour, and capital is fundamental to the common market, which is kind of the foundation stone of the EU.

Renegade called it, Cameron's bluff, not Merkels.

baka kaba posted:

Jersey is one giant tax racket

Why do you think the level of national debt matters at all? Look at our borrowing rates:

Look at what happened in 2008! gently caress all, in fact yields dropped because the UK was seen as a safe haven, a safe place to put capital during the global crash. It got cheaper to borrow money to invest in protecting the economy. Look at what happened around, oh, May 2010... yields stopped dropping and started to climb as the Tories' austerity began.

They did drop again, for a while - lucky, since borrowing keeps rising, because austerity doesn't help the economy. See when it starts to rise again, around Feb 2013? That's when our credit rating got downgraded, because ~the glorious markets~ started to get worried about our future prospects and our ability to repay those debts, because our recovery under the Tory/Lib Dem regime was so dire

Imagine how much quicker the recovery would have been, and how much human misery could have been avoided, if we'd made use of that confidence and low borrowing rates to invest in the economy and the safety net instead of gutting it and slowly bleeding it out

The IMF understands this: half a point of cuts, straight up half a point off your GDP. No ifs, ands or buts. And it's difficult to find a more dyed in the wool conservative institution then the loving IMF.

Expand till you're booming, then and only then cut. Cutting in a stalling economy turns it into a hard downturn, cutting in a downturn is economic suicide.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pissflaps posted:

It's amusing that some of you find the idea of a drunk Muslim unbelievable but one who beheads people in the street or sets fire to poppy sellers isn't. You're saying that these violent acts are compatible with Islam. It's racist.

Well, those violent acts are compatible with Islam and being drunk isn't because alcohol is forbidden. That's why I find it more believable that it was a drunk non-Muslim that did it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Junior G-man posted:

Not really, the people at the Commission I know are terrified of a UK referendum and you lot going back to Blighty.

Maybe Cameron will get his movement restrictions after all then.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe Cameron will get his movement restrictions after all then.

My bet is that this is exactly what he will get; that way he won't need to hold the referendum (which his financial backers don't want) because he's already solved the issue of Romanian pedophiles slipping into the UK.

The EC is terrified of losing countries; it would do way to much damage to the idea of the common European project. Never mind the convulsions in the market.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

Well, those violent acts are compatible with Islam and being drunk isn't because alcohol is forbidden.

I think we need some authorative advice here because I cant believe that setting fire to a poppy seller is islamically ok in a way that drinking alcohol is not.

I expect it's just like Christianity: literally anything can be ok or forbidden, depending on which bit you pay attention to.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Do citizens from EU countries have free movement to non EU EEA countries? (ie Norway).

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Metrication posted:

Do citizens from EU countries have free movement to non EU EEA countries? (ie Norway).

Yes, though that is technically a separate arrangement that happens to line up almost exactly with EU freedom of movement (see also, Switzerland).

So it's easier for them to wrangle some opt outs or changes, as that doesn't involve EU treaty change (see also, Switzerland).

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Metrication posted:

I think so, or there's some nominal border nonsense, I know for a fact that you can just drive into Switzerland without being stopped to check passports.

Flying in might be a different scuttlebutt.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
This is why Farage wants a very quick referendum, because he knows that if he allowed pro-EU voices to organise, he'd lose the referendum worse than Clegg did with AV. I can't see any papers other than the Star and Express actually wanting to go through with withdrawal; I'd think even the Mail would begrudgingly back remaining in solely on economic reasons.

An in-out referendum is a very bad idea for reformists anyway. Regardless of the result, we'd be unable to wield influence over Germany and France because "we already made our decision". Making treaties subject to a plebiscite, on the other hand, strengthens the British hand to push treaties our way.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pissflaps posted:

I think we need some authorative advice here because I cant believe that setting fire to a poppy seller is islamically ok in a way that drinking alcohol is not.

I expect it's just like Christianity: literally anything can be ok or forbidden, depending on which bit you pay attention to.
Not drinking alcohol is pretty characteristic of Islamic communities in Britain. My wife has been to a lot of dry social events with her Muslim coworkers, from weddings to leaving parties. Certainly there are Muslims who do drink, but it's not completely normalised to the degree that teetotalism is.

I think it's fair to be surprised if a Muslim extremist carried out an attack whilst drunk. Violence, on the other hand, can be freely enjoyed by members of all faiths (or even none!).

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 2, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Pasco posted:

Yes, though that is technically a separate arrangement that happens to line up almost exactly with EU freedom of movement (see also, Switzerland).

So it's easier for them to wrangle some opt outs or changes, as that doesn't involve EU treaty change (see also, Switzerland).

So if we left the European Union nothing would effectively change because we're still going to be part of the EEA I would assume?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

Not drinking alcohol is pretty characteristic of Islamic communities in Britain. My wife has been to a lot of dry social events with her Muslim coworkers, from weddings to leaving parties. Certainly there are Muslims who do drink, but it's not completely normalised to the degree that teetotalism is.

I'm not sure how authoritative your wife's social life is, unless it includes jihadist get togethers.

I've not known any drunk Muslims either but nor do I know any that carry out poppy arson. I've got a feeling that beheadings are less normalised within the Islamic community than necking a few cans of special brew.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gonna need to see a venn diagram here pissflaps

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Metrication posted:

So if we left the European Union nothing would effectively change because we're still going to be part of the EEA I would assume?

I strongly doubt that EFTA would take us after a protracted mudslinging match.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

If you have time could you explain 'strict liability offence' in moron :)
It means it's an offense no matter what your intention or level of culpability was. An example would be the guy who found a gun and some ammo in a plastic bag behind a wall near his house, and decided to hand it in to a police station before whoever owned it came back for it. He got the 5 year minimum sentence for illegal possession of a firearm, as the jury was instructed to ignore all intent (they could still have chosen to nullify, but juries are not informed of that right).

It did eventually get overturned on appeal iirc, I can't find a link to the thing at the moment.

e: Found it http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/story-12659234-detail/story.html

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 3, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Do you have a link to some info about that case I can't find it.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guavanaut posted:

It means it's an offense no matter what your intention or level of culpability was. An example would be the guy who found a gun and some ammo in a plastic bag behind a wall near his house, and decided to hand it in to a police station before whoever owned it came back for it. He got the 5 year minimum sentence for illegal possession of a firearm, as the jury was instructed to ignore all intent (they could still have chosen to nullify, but juries are not informed of that right).

It did eventually get overturned on appeal iirc, I can't find a link to the thing at the moment.

This was a Hollyoaks episode, but I can't find the link at the moment either.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

As is usually the case with 'the law is an rear end' stories like this, there's more to it:

quote:

Clarke had told the court he did not call the police when he found the item because he had suffered "harassment" from Surrey Police over a relationship he was having with a female detective.

He said he stored it in a wooden chest at his home and arranged to meet a police officer he knew personally.

The court heard that he was arrested during the meeting after he produced the bin liner containing the gun from his trousers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8421485.stm

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's a pretty good magic trick - cops hate them!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jedit posted:

Well, those violent acts are compatible with Islam and being drunk isn't because alcohol is forbidden. That's why I find it more believable that it was a drunk non-Muslim that did it.

You need to start attending a different mosque.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nobody's asked this in a while, and I am in need. Who's cheap and not poo poo at giving me internets? Also, who's cheap but not a complete bastard when it comes to electricity/gas?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Wolfsbane posted:

Imagine if the government had some way of creating money instead of borrowing it. Wouldn't that be weird.

Nah, instead we should look at tax havens with a population of 100,000 as a model of how to run a government.

We have been creating money on an unprecedented level - that's the government's policy of quantitative easing throughout the recession. The jury is still out on whether that's had any success to the best of my knowledge? The point is, we've been creating money and still borrow loads as well. It's not an either or proposition.

I only picked Jersey because it was fresh in the mind - there are plenty of examples of 'proper' countries aiming to run surpluses where possible, because it's prudent financial policy.

New Zealand.

quote:

NEW Zealand will become one of the first developed nations to return to a budget surplus since the 2008 financial crisis plunged the global economy into recession, the government said.

The spending plans outlined by the government are a turnaround after several years of belt-tightening it said was needed to prevent debt levels rising too high. The slowdown in growth after the financial crisis prompted many governments to borrow to keep their countries afloat.

Sweden

quote:

The first element is a rule requiring a budget surplus equal to 1 percent of GDP on average over the business cycle. On the face of it, that sounds very much like Chile’s structural balance rule. It would, in fact, produce a similar trajectory for the deficit and debt over the long run. However, the Swedish rule is more flexible than the Chilean version in two respects. For one thing, it allows more room for countercyclical policy, since the government can, if needed, run a structural deficit during a downturn provided it is offset by a correspondingly greater surplus during the next expansion. Also, under the Swedish rule, year-to-year budgeting is not as closely dependent on estimates of the output gap, a concept that is difficult to define and measure with precision.

The second element of Swedish fiscal policy is a system of annual expenditure limits. Those limits provide a measure of discipline to prevent abuse of the greater flexibility implied by a multi-year, cyclical target for the budget balance. Each year a spending target is set for the third year ahead, so that budgeting for each current year is constrained by the target set three years previously. The purpose of the spending cap is to counteract the universal tendency of democratic governments to spend extra tax revenue as it comes in during years of economic expansion, rather than running surpluses as required for proper countercyclical fiscal policy.

Canada

quote:

Canada's Conservative government looks set to comfortably balance its books in 2015 or even sooner, its latest budget showed on Tuesday, with cuts in spending on the public service more than offsetting a series of modest new expenditures.

The low-key spending plan leaves Prime Minister Stephen Harper well-positioned to offer tax breaks and other initiatives in the runup to an election scheduled for October next year.

"Some people will say this budget is boring," Finance Minister Jim Flaherty told reporters ahead of the budget speech. "Boring is good."

---

Flaherty acknowledged the budget would be narrowly balanced this coming year without the contingency fund, but said he preferred to have a "nice clean surplus next year".

---

The Conservatives, in power since 2006, plunged into a deep deficit in 2008 as they pumped out stimulus money to deal with the recession after having cut taxes earlier. Previously, the Canadian government had an 11-year string of budget surpluses.

Germany

quote:

Data showed on Monday that Germany's overall budget surplus - grouping federal, state and local governments and the social security system - amounted to 16.1 billion euros (12.76 billion pounds) or 1.1 percent of GDP in the first half the year.

That is the strongest fiscal position since reunification in 1990 and puts Germany on track to a achieve a surplus in 2014 for a third straight year. It is the only euro zone state where the European Commission sees a surplus this year.

... On Monday, Merkel left the door open to channelling the budget surplus into investment programmes, but said this could happen only if the economy is strong enough.

I realise there's a good case to be made for Germany loosening the purse strings, but it illustrates that the Germans care about the budget surplus.

Australia

quote:

With the Government winning the election with a mandate to fix the budget, a bout of fiscal austerity was inevitable. Against this backdrop and the fears of the last few weeks, the Budget is not as tough as feared. Many of the budget savings will only build over time.

The end result is that the budget is now projected to be in surplus by 2019-20.

The 2014-15 Budget goes a fair way to getting the budget heading back towards surplus without going overboard with fiscal austerity for the next financial year. Better to start down the path though before any crisis hits, so when it does we will have greater fiscal flexibility.

Norway

quote:

Norway's outgoing government unveiled a relatively tight 2014 budget as expected on Monday

The government expects the structural non-oil deficit, which excluded lucrative oil revenues, at 2.9 percent of the $790 billion oil fund, or 54 billion crowns ($9 billion) below the government's self imposed spending limit, leaving the new government some room to manoeuvre as it races to revise the bill by November.

Still, the government has plenty of leeway to stimulate the economy, if that becomes necessary, as the budget will have a surplus of 10.2 percent of GDP next year, thanks to massive oil revenues.

Even Norway, which is arguably a special case, is keeping a tight reign on spending in order to maintain its fiscal rules. The logic behind Sweden's fiscal rules particularly mirror the kind of system I would advocate.

Trying to avoid a fiscal policy based on continual deficits is good financial management and plenty of other countries understand this. We're only making the next financial crisis worse by not building up a cushion now. Although Labour haven't announced a target for balancing the books (including investment spending - they've said they'll balance non-investment spending/receipts by 2020), let's be charitable and assume they will commit to doing so by the end of their second hypothetical parliament, i.e. 2025. That will mean the UK will have been running a continual deficit for almost a quarter of a century. It would be farcical.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 3, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

Nobody's asked this in a while, and I am in need. Who's cheap and not poo poo at giving me internets? Also, who's cheap but not a complete bastard when it comes to electricity/gas?

BT Infinity is actually very solid if you can get it, and I've never had a problem with support.

For gas and electric, you're stuffed because they're all bastards. Just avoid Centrica as they're the worst.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not sure how authoritative your wife's social life is, unless it includes jihadist get togethers.

I've not known any drunk Muslims either but nor do I know any that carry out poppy arson. I've got a feeling that beheadings are less normalised within the Islamic community than necking a few cans of special brew.
Apples and oranges here, seriously. However Islamic extremists tend to define themselves by adhering to strict Islamic practices regarding food and drink, so yeah, I'd be pretty loving surprised if an ISIS wannabe got himself hammered on cider before carrying out an ideological attack. Until a fundamentalist Muslim turns up in the thread in response to your call for an authoritative response, I guess we only have our prior experiences to fall back on.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

sebzilla posted:

I've had nothing but good times with Plusnet fibre. It's exactly the same product & price as BT Infinity (because Plusnet are owned by BT) except with UK based call centres.

Ecotricity are good for electric/gas if you're looking for a supplier that aren't total bastards, because they use their profits to build these

which annoys Nigel Fartrage and the Daily Mail.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There are loads of muslims that drink just like there are loads of christians that break any number of the 10 commandments or people of any religion. Arguing the point seems a bit pointless until the guy is caught.

In unrelated news. I seem to randomly get two different versions of the guardian website seemingly at random by clicking the same link?

Can any one tell me how I get the non mobile version consistently?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
you want the one without the m. at the beginning

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Hmm that's weird this is the link I'm clicking

http://www.theguardian.com/uk

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Did anyone hear thought for the day just now? they want to keep students on in their deprived university towns even after they graduate to regenerate the north, and I think it's a fabulous idea.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jippa posted:

Hmm that's weird this is the link I'm clicking

http://www.theguardian.com/uk

Control F5 to clear your cache (on uh, IE Firefox Chrome, don't know about more exotic browsers).

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Seaside Loafer posted:

If you have time could you explain 'strict liability offence' in moron :)

The explanation you got was somewhat confusing, so here's a more basic explanation:

http://ukcriminallawblog.com/2012/11/27/strict-liability/ posted:

The rule

To prove most criminal offences, it must be shown that the actus reus (action) and mens rea (intention) are present. In order to prove an offence of ABH for example, it is necessary to show that a) the individual did the act which caused actual bodily harm (the assault), and b) either intended to cause that injury by doing that action, or was reckless as to the consequences of the assault.

The reason for this is that it is unpalatable to criminalise an act or omission where the individual does not possess any intention for the act to come about. For example, it would be utterly wrong to be able to convict someone of an offence of theft without needing to prove that they were dishonest.

The exception

Strict liability offences are offences where mens rea does not form a part of what it is necessary to prove the offence. These are offences where there is no mens rea required to establish liability, in relation to one or more elements of the actus reus of the offence; in short, the ‘guilty act’ is sufficient. This is different from absolute liability which is where liability is imposed irrespective of mens rea, and without the availability of any defence.

A good example may be driving with excess alcohol. When a motorist provides a sample of blood or breath which is in excess of the prescribed limit, it is only necessary to prove that they had alcohol in their blood/breath in excess of the limit. It is not necessary to prove that they intentionally had so, or were reckless as to being over the limit. Imagine if it were necessary to prove a ‘guilty mind’ for that offence; there would be far fewer successful prosecutions.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The solution to the deficit is not to cut spending but to raise taxes on the wealthy but this is never presented as an option for some reason.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

I'd be pretty loving surprised if an ISIS wannabe got himself hammered on cider before carrying out an ideological attack.

A Muslim carrying out an ideological attack at all surprises me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I suppose I know the answer to this, but could somebody tell me what qualifies this guy to be a banker?

Is it the same in other countries, that you just have the be the right sort to get the plum jobs, even if your accademic qualifications are unsuitable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Phoon posted:

The solution to the deficit is not to cut spending but to raise taxes on the wealthy but this is never presented as an option for some reason.

Eh, there are ways and means. An inflation economy coupled with diversifying away from finance and further into production, coupled with a higher minimum wage and better labour laws, actual corporate tax enforcement and renationalisation of key industries would also do the trick. It's a bastard getting money off the rich pricks so we have to go in rear end backwards and make their money worth less and force down the wealth gap that way.

But oh noooooo inflation is bad for some reason!

• Locked thread