Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just finished watching [most of] that Mark Blyth video on the history of austerity that got posted a while back. I was particularly interested to learn about this fucker correctly identifying progressive taxation as a sensible method of funding the state (even if only for the purposes of having it beat back the poor from the gates of the rich), and then immediately saying "wait poo poo can't have that, gotta maintain private accretions of wealth because of reasons".

Blyth's prediction about the bursting of the Aussie housing bubble being tied to the cooling off of China's growth sounds like something to make a note of in my diary, if only to see if it actually falls out that way.

sebzilla posted:

This but Bristol

I would like Bristol to not get ruined thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

dadrips posted:

Return all of Lothian to Northumbria imo

I'd be alright with this

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Geographically, Liverpool is in a nice central spot that would make it convenient as a central location of Government. It even has sea access for ferries to and from the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Westminster has failed us. But fear not for the invisible hand is here to guide us. Invisibly. Do NOT regulate.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
This person had the right idea:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/19/save-united-kingdom-move-capital-glasgow

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

Geographically, Liverpool is in a nice central spot that would make it convenient as a central location of Government. It even has sea access for ferries to and from the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland.

Liverpool is a terrible suggestion. I nominate York.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I swear it won't be too long before some idiot is suggesting a return to city states or manorialism, each of which can start their own races to the bottom on tax.

hey here's an idea how about we have no taxes at all but you pay the state for any services you wish it to provide

So if I want health insurance, I pay the state some amount of money every year. If some toff wants to be able to rely on armed police to stop an angry mob sacking his home because he's a bourgie shitstain, he should pay a suitably large amount of his fortune to the state, proportionate to the degree of service being provided. Seems pretty fair!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
the obvious answer is to go even further south to somewhere nice like portsmouth

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spooky Hyena posted:

Geographically, Liverpool is in a nice central spot that would make it convenient as a central location of Government.
Have you ever loving seen a map of the UK?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
If you aren't earning enough money its always worth checking the civil service website

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
You could safely hide all the politicians in a new build, out of the way capital. It's all the rage among the colonials.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

tooterfish posted:

well it is kind of central if you include all of ireland in the uk :unsmigghh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spooky Hyena posted:

Apropos of nothing, my dad is fanatically racist against Liverpudlians for some reason. It's really confusing to me because all the scousers I've ever met have been excellent people of one kind or another, but I can't so much as mention the place in passing without hearing about how it's full of thieves and thugs or whatever (also how Hillsborough is 100% victim complex and they should just get over it already)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

the obvious answer is to go even further south to somewhere nice like Portsmouth Stanley.
FTFY

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Oberleutnant posted:

the obvious answer is to go even further south to somewhere nice like portsmouth

Oh god no, Portsmouth is actually rather lovely, and it isn't gentrified as gently caress.

Yet.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

tooterfish posted:

I'm putting a lot of weight on it having water access, really. Makes sense to me with the UK being made of an island and part of another one.

Oberleutnant posted:

Or even further south and have our government based in Brussels. Probably worth it for the reaction from UKIP alone.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Portsmouth is nice if you're not female and don't want to leave the house when its dark.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ludicro posted:

Portsmouth is actually rather lovely

i live in portsmouth and object to this in the strongest possible terms

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

I'm putting a lot of weight on it having water access, really. Makes sense to me with the UK being made of an island and part of another one.

I don't think a regular ferry service from the Isle of Man is that important for a capital tbh.

Especially as the Isle of Man isn't in the UK.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ludicro posted:

Oh god no, Portsmouth is actually rather lovely, and it isn't gentrified as gently caress.

Yet.

it's a loving shithole

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Monster Raving Looney party always wanted to put parliament on wheels and travel it around the country. I think this is clearly the most sensible solution.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
To be a bit less harsh lets just say there is are nice parts of Portsmouth but if you go into the bad parts your assured murder will involve non-eludian geometry, batteries and crocodile clips.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It's hard to argue in favour of a place that Spike Milligan hated.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spooky Hyena posted:

Or even further south and have our government based in Brussels. Probably worth it for the reaction from UKIP alone.

Brussels is actually north of Portsmouth

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

It's hard to argue in favour of a place that Spike Milligan hated.
:eyepop:

Renaissance Robot posted:

i feel so continental!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Can't we just leave the government in London (they're welcome to em), and instead you know, develop the infrastructure and transport links of other parts of the country so they aren't such economic backwaters?

Or am I being too sensible here?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

To be a bit less harsh lets just say there is are nice parts of Portsmouth but if you go into the bad parts your assured murder will involve non-eludian geometry, batteries and crocodile clips.

where are these nice parts and don't you loving say Gunwharf Quays god help me.

tooterfish posted:

Can't we just leave the government in London (they're welcome to em), and instead you know, develop the infrastructure and transport links of other parts of the country so they aren't such economic backwaters?

Or am I being too sensible here?
As somebody pointed out, the rest of the country is just an extended suburb of london already. like, if you trace the main rail lines to and from london the house/rental prices even like +100mi away are noticeably higher near the railways because errybody commuting in and out every day. I travel on the Portsmouth - Victoria line and every day coming home the train is loving rammed with people commuting home to portsmouth from london. Every day.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 30, 2014

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Renaissance Robot posted:

I didn't know that, turns out you're right it is slightly more north than Portsmouth. :shrug:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well that's from 2006 and references UNCTAD data, which as far as I can tell refers to this set:

6th in 2006, 11th in 2012 :thumbsup:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JFairfax posted:

it's a loving shithole

Seemed quite nice when I visited. Then again I live in Ashford and work in Sittingbourne so my perspective is probably skewed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

baka kaba posted:

Dang, BRIC are doing well for themselves. And Indonesia more than doubled its output in that span. :eyepop:

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Well that's from 2006 and references UNCTAD data, which as far as I can tell refers to this set:

This report doesn't seem to match your finding, at quick glance - link

edit: This one puts the UK in 7th in 2012, notably ahead of France, India, Brazil and Russia. Also seems to be based on UNCTAD data.

Aromatic Stretch fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 30, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Spooky Hyena posted:

the isle of mann is of great relevance to the site of the UK government?

a point that pissflaps made half an hour ago.
got distracted by die hard 3 and left the reply tab open

Cerv fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 30, 2014

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

JFairfax posted:

The Monster Raving Looney party always wanted to put parliament on wheels and travel it around the country. I think this is clearly the most sensible solution.

The Democrabus? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lozEUcjWByo

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

As somebody pointed out, the rest of the country is just an extended suburb of london already. like, if you trace the main rail lines to and from london the house/rental prices even like +100mi away are noticeably higher near the railways because errybody commuting in and out every day. I travel on the Portsmouth - Victoria line and every day coming home the train is loving rammed with people commuting home to portsmouth from london. Every day.

That was me but I did crib it from the ft tbf

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ludicro posted:

Yet.

Have you ever actually ever been to another town? Portsmouth is the worst place on Earth with the exception of Slough, and for much the same reasons. Portsmouth only gets to be better than Slough because there's more ways out of it.

Oberleutnant posted:

Portsmouth and Southampton are a bit of a special case because of the amount of people working for companies based there but with offices in London (BAE and all their tentacles, for a start, as well as Lockheed Martin and basically anyone involved in large-scale military procurement). Not many people are actually living in Portsmouth and commuting to London Monday-to-Friday.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Cerv posted:

the isle of mann is of great relevance to the site of the UK government?

a point that pissflaps made half an hour ago.
got distracted by die hard 3 and left the reply tab open

Not really, Northern Ireland is though. Must have missed the Pissflaps post, had him on ignore for a month or two now I think.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Aromatic Stretch posted:

This report doesn't seem to match your finding, at quick glance - link

edit: This one puts the UK in 7th in 2012, notably ahead of France, India, Brazil and Russia. Also seems to be based on UNCTAD data.

Yeah they're using constant prices (2005) instead of current prices, so they're comparing relative growth. On that note!

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I've always been told Meriden is the centre of England so just stick parliament there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The reason why everything is packed into London is the same reason there is less sprawl, namely the green belts and the highway revolts

There's no bloody point chanting "we want infrastructure investment" and then when the investment turns out to come in the form of highways, drop everything and scream HOMES BEFORE ROADS. You're not going to get the homes. You were never going to get the homes. You're now just not going to get the roads, either.

• Locked thread