Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Lol, RMT having another tube strike because an employee was sacked for failing an alcohol test. So glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo anymore.

Any connected goons know if there is some unreported reason that makes their going on strike justified this time?

Edit: 1919 – Lady Astor becomes the first female Member of Parliament to take her seat in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Prince John posted:

Lol, RMT having another tube strike because an employee was sacked for failing an alcohol test. So glad I don't have to deal with that poo poo anymore.

Any connected goons know if there is some unreported reason that makes their going on strike justified this time?

Edit: 1919 – Lady Astor becomes the first female Member of Parliament to take her seat in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom.

9/10 there's more than the media like to report, because hurr strikes are bad and only ever dun by greedy people.

I used to work for LU. They have a very strict drinking policy that applies to everyone, even if they have never even set foot on an underground carriage. You could easily use that policy to get rid of someone you don't like. For anyone other than a driver or an engineer, it's pretty much BS (it might be though, don't know the details).

Edit: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30270305

Driver has medical condition that annoys management, they use the alcohol test to get rid of him. I can't remember exactly what the drink policy was, except that it limited you to small amount of drink, a large number of hours before the start of your shift. Enough that you could be stone sober and still be breaking it.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 1, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Have you ever actually ever been to another town? Portsmouth is the worst place on Earth with the exception of Slough, and for much the same reasons. Portsmouth only gets to be better than Slough because there's more ways out of it.

I can only go by what I saw and it honestly seemed quite nice. Then again the few times I've been to Manchester I quite liked it as well, despite everyone basically saying I'd probably get shot.

If you would like to see a real decaying poo poo hole, visit Margate some time.

haakman
May 5, 2011
No one has mentioned East Anglia yet as a potential capital - gently caress you all, we invented this country.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

haakman posted:

No one has mentioned East Anglia yet as a potential capital - gently caress you all, we invented this country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_the_Great

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester

:colbert:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

Medical conditions makes the accusation invalid. Procedures not followed by management. Part of a pattern of harassment & bullying of drivers.

On the other hand, a guy who really did turn up drunk from the night before at the Oxford circus control room a while back was in court a couple of weeks ago. No strikes over him getting sacked.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Ludicro posted:

I can only go by what I saw and it honestly seemed quite nice. Then again the few times I've been to Manchester I quite liked it as well, despite everyone basically saying I'd probably get shot.

If you would like to see a real decaying poo poo hole, visit Margate some time.

Re: Portsmouth they've done up the town centre a fair bit since I was there, it is what some would call nice I guess. There are dodgy areas, but there are far worse places. A mate of mine saw someone get stabbed down Bailey's Road, plus someone got raped there. Oh and down Telephone road we got up one morning to find every single car window smashed in. But apart from that, it's alright.

Moral of this story: every town has a nice town centre.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Counterpoint: St Albans

e. Watford, Stevenage, Hemel, Luton, Dunstable

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

haakman posted:

Looks like someone took "non Angli sed Angeli" a bit literally.

UKMT December: "Noel" is short for "neoliberal hell"

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

haakman posted:

East Anglia is dire.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It takes a million years to drive to anywhere in East Anglia.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ronya posted:

The reason why everything is packed into London is the same reason there is less sprawl, namely the green belts and the highway revolts

There's no bloody point chanting "we want infrastructure investment" and then when the investment turns out to come in the form of highways, drop everything and scream HOMES BEFORE ROADS. You're not going to get the homes. You were never going to get the homes. You're now just not going to get the roads, either.

see also: HS2

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It takes a million years to drive to anywhere in East Anglia.

Also the south west. Did you hear Nick Clegg at Stonehenge this morning? He's lovely isn't he

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Muhammad is the most popular baby boys name in the UK, be prepared for panic on facebook that the country has officially been taken over.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/01/britain-most-popular-baby-name-muhammad

Edit: Also possibly suggestions from UKIP that Britain needs an official name list for parents to choose from where all children must be named after British Royalty (if that is suggested I want a prize).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Edit: Also possibly suggestions from UKIP that Britain needs an official name list for parents to choose from where all children must be named after British Royalty (if that is suggested I want a prize).
I'm not sure if I prefer Harthacnut or Æthelstan.

(Although technically neither of those are British Royalty, occurring before the Act of Union. They're still more local than post-Norman Royalty though.)

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

A list of names you choose from is an actual thing in Iceland.

quote:

The committee refused to accept the names of Duncan and Harriet Cardew—Icelandic-born children of a British father and an Icelandic mother—because their names did not meet the criteria for being added to the registry of approved names. The children had originally used passports with the substitute names Drengur (boy) and Stúlka (girl); however, in 2014, Icelandic authorities refused to renew Harriet's passport at all without a legally acceptable name. Since the Cardews were about to travel to France, they obtained emergency British passports for Duncan and Harriet; the parents are also filing a formal complaint objecting to the naming committee's rejection of their children's names and the passport office's refusal to renew their Icelandic passports.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
In China you can't even call your child Cancer any more, what a country

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
could always combine both patronymic and Muslim names and have a lot of Muhammad bin Muhammads.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Burqa King posted:

In China you can't even call your child Cancer any more, what a country
Can you call your child Google Tienanmen Square?

e:

ronya posted:

could always combine both patronymic and Muslim names and have a lot of Muhammad bin Muhammads.
I'm surprised that patronymics (or matronymics) aren't a more popular choice when unmarried couples have children. They always seem to go with either the father's last name or a hyphenated last name for the kid.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 1, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
you can definitely call your kid some homophone of "six four", it's too common to block.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jack the Lad posted:

A list of names you choose from is an actual thing in Iceland.

Isn't it also a thing in France?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Picking names these days is easy, you throw a dart at a dart board with all letter of the alphabet on it and add the letter you hit onto the front of -ayden

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Picking names these days is easy, you throw a dart at a dart board with all letter of the alphabet on it and add the letter you hit onto the front of -ayden

There are only 5 names allowed. Harry, Zayn, Neil, Louis and Liam.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Isn't it also a thing in France?

Dunno about France but it definitely is in Hobbit-land

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tentish klown posted:

But what if you have a boy?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But what if you have a boy?

Your choice of Dave or David.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There's a charity appeal at my local One-Stop for a 7 or 8 year old boy with a chromosome disorder and his name is "Neo-Kai". Poor lil fucker.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Muhammad is the most popular baby boys name in the UK, be prepared for panic on facebook that the country has officially been taken over.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/01/britain-most-popular-baby-name-muhammad

Turns out Buzzfeed is better at checking its facts than the Guardian is:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/say-my-name-say-my-name-when-no-one-is-around-you

quote:

Muhammad Isn’t Actually The Most Popular Boy’s Name In Britain
That’s what happens when you have a website running a self-selecting survey using its own rules. But Mo could take the top spot in the future.
posted on Dec. 1, 2014, at 10:11 a.m.
Jim Waterson
BuzzFeed Staff

This story, claiming "Muhammad" is now the most popular baby boy's name in the UK, has been all over the internet.
Guardian

This article and many others like it are based on a press release to promote a website called BabyCentre, which is very happy to receive a lot of publicity for claiming the most popular boy’s name is Mohammed.

However, this isn’t based on official data. It’s based on what users of this particular website say they have called their child. And to get the desired result BabyCentre has combined all spellings of “Mohammed/Muhammad/Mohammad” into one figure.

This is the actual list of the top 10 boys baby names in the UK, according to official government figures from the Office for National Statistics.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zephro posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/say-my-name-say-my-name-when-no-one-is-around-you

On that note, this is an excellent little book that goes into the various way in which you can abuse statistics. It's an academic text, and a bit old at this point, but for those of you interested in quantitative data analysis, it's worth picking up.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Also:

UKMT December: We'll ban you for saying "Christmas"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
A Festivus for the rest of us.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

On that note, this is an excellent little book that goes into the various way in which you can abuse statistics. It's an academic text, and a bit old at this point, but for those of you interested in quantitative data analysis, it's worth picking up.
The book is very good for explaining all the ways people use statistics badly, but I'm putting a warning here because it is 60 years old and is a bit sexist and racist at times.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

tentish klown posted:

Every single day I take the register I'm left wondering "what the gently caress were this kid's parents thinking?".

Latest wtf? name: Exploit - apparently a good name for a girl.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pesmerga posted:

The fun thing is that despite being written 60 years ago it's still completely relevant (edit: except for the occasional round of 1950s race/gender roles, yes). You'd think people would at least have to come up with new tricks, but you can still see people doing the old let's-screw-around-with-the-axes-of-the-graph trick, and people falling for it. For a more modern book in the same sort of area, The Tiger That Isn't by Michael Blastland and Andrew Dilnot is worth looking at as well.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 1, 2014

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Zephro posted:

The guardian also fact check their own article:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/dec/01/muhammad-not-most-popular-boys-name-in-britain

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

HortonNash posted:

Every single day I take the register I'm left wondering "what the gently caress were this kid's parents thinking?".

Latest wtf? name: Exploit - apparently a good name for a girl.

That sounds like their parents might be some of those Cultural Marxists I hear so much about.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

They fact-check it in another article. The usual idea is to make sure before you publish.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Zephro posted:

They fact-check it in another article. The usual idea is to make sure before you publish.

aint nobody got time for that in the heady new age of the 3 minute news cycle. Gotta get the hysteria inducing stories out asap before somebody beats you to the scoop!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

I've always been quite fond of The Tiger that Isn't. Remember to always ask yourself 'but is it a big number?'. Like with the government's two billion pound injection into the NHS. Sounds impressive, right? Now remember that NHS England had a budget of £109bn in 2012/13, and only £95bn in 2013/14. That's s drop of £14bn, if you don't want to do the mental arithmetic. Then observe that only £1.3bn is new money - the rest is being transferred to 'front-line services' from unspecified other parts of the NHS budget. Doesn't seem so big any more, does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Happy Winterval, whatever you do dont say Christmas we cant cope with all those filthy foreigns attacking us

• Locked thread