Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Preju-dat's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Prejudatsbetter.

Jenga Jim
Apr 13, 2004
Master of Disguise
This is so great. Kate's voice is killing me.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

And I don't do that. Sorry.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

We knew this going in. He agreed to do one long performance instead of two shorter ones.

Was one performance all he was willing to do, or was that limitation set on SNL's side? Because like I said before, he deserves a third performance way more than McCartney ever has.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah that started sorta weird, bounced back and then just never quite caught up again after Prince. Weird episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Was one performance all he was willing to do, or was that limitation set on SNL's side? Because like I said before, he deserves a third performance way more than McCartney ever has.

I think it was said he wanted to do one long performance and that was it.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
1. Rock
2. Pratt
3. Hader
4. Carrey
5. Silverman

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
I though this episode was great but something unexpected happened at some point that completely threw them off and I'd love to know what it was

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
This episode should have just been like the improv4humans podcast, and had Prince perform four songs and sketches based off those. Always more Prince.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jenga Jim posted:

Is this the worst episode of the past five years? The laughs are few and far between. Kind of brutal to watch.

I'm with Jim on this one.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Was this the first episode where Leslie Jones was in the opening credits? I don't remember seeing her there before. Either way I'm bummed, because I'm not a fan of her whole shtick and it doesn't seem like she's going anywhere.

Pretty rough episode all around. Rock's performance ranks among the worst of any returning cast member I've ever seen, honestly.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
How's He Doin' owned, Bank Robbery owned, Pronce ft Lianne La Havas owned hard. The rest was rough as gently caress and went over like a fart in church. The line readings were horrible all around and there were more flubbed lines/timing than any SNL I can remember. Shark Tank was great if only for the crowd gasping at the hook then going for a pissbreak/to complain on social media.

ShakeZula posted:

Rock's performance ranks among the worst of any returning cast member I've ever seen, honestly.
Shockingly so.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Game, blouses.

Eb
May 6, 2003
Yeah, definitely the worst episode of the season IMO.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Is Chris Rock the first ex-cast host who had a recurring character that didn't bring back a recurring character? Is the time for Nat X really gone?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Doctor Candiru posted:

1. Rock
2. Pratt
3. Hader
4. Carrey
5. Silverman

1. Carrey
2. Hader
3. Prat
4. Rock
5. Silverman

Maybe Rock before Prat. I would have to watch Prat episode again to be sure.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Deadpool posted:

I think it was said he wanted to do one long performance and that was it.
Prince is at least partly responsible for one of the biggest cockteases in SNL history. On the last episode he was the musical guest, Fred Armisen did the Prince Show sketch (say what you will about literally every non-Portlandia thing Armisen has done, his Prince impression ALWAYS ruled) and he paused and said, "Let me look into this mystical mirror" and I was like "OMG PRINCE IS HERE HE'S GOING TO BE IN THE MIRROR."

AND HE WASN'T. YOU DID THAT ON *PURPOSE*, ARMISEN! :argh:

I'm convinced Armisen had written Prince into that sketch and he backed out at the last minute. There was no other reason to do a mirror thing with the Prince show on the night Prince is the musical guest.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Just watched last night's episode; wow, that was bad.

That Leslie Jones flub was epic and it's lovely because she is cool. At least she provided some good stuff during the "How's He Doing?" sketch. Also, holy poo poo do I hate Cecily Strong. Kate is funny, but that last sketch was terrible.

Anyone else find Cecily to be entirely unfunny?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Just watched last night's episode; wow, that was bad.

That Leslie Jones flub was epic and it's lovely because she is cool. At least she provided some good stuff during the "How's He Doing?" sketch. Also, holy poo poo do I hate Cecily Strong. Kate is funny, but that last sketch was terrible.

Anyone else find Cecily to be entirely unfunny?

Now for me, the '90s diversity training video was the funniest bit of the night. I loved it, but that's because I've had to sit through several tone-deaf diversity training sessions at work, and my wife is a bit of an expert on the subject, being a woman with a disability who teaches classes and seminars on disability studies. We both had a good laugh over that one, especially Kate and Vanessa's delivery.

I think Cecily is a solid cast member, but she isn't nearly as funny as Kate, Vanessa, or Aidy.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Who's the corporate sponsor, Target?" is a loving amazing joke.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think Cecily is a solid cast member, but she isn't nearly as funny as Kate, Vanessa, or Aidy.

I actually preferred her behind the WU desk.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I actually preferred her behind the WU desk.

She was better than Che or Jost, for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Cecily and Leslie Jones take over Update.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

She was better than Che or Jost, for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Cecily and Leslie Jones take over Update.

Leslie Jones would be terrible on Update. What?! Leslie Jones is painful to watch at times.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder why everyone's having such a hard time with their lines lately.

e: Also loved the ISIS-Shark Tank sketch. It's right up there with the classic Commie Hunting Season, one of the few instances the show accidentally shows some edge, and completely alienates the audience in the process. Which is probably why their political/current events satire is almost always overly broad, weak stuff. Also because the writers have no idea how to find an angle so they always wind up with a total mess.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 2, 2014

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That episode sucked. Just watched it on my DVR. Consistently the best poo poo they put out was their digital short-esque things and commercials. I don't get Prince at all - like I don't understand all the fanfare.

Also, Leslie Jones is easily becoming one of my favorites. She's basically overthetopblackwoman.txt but she manages to do it in a way that it doesn't feel like a schtick or make her look like a one trick pony.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
I was at the dress rehearsal last night and the sketches flowed a lot better than at the live taping. Not that many flubs (Michael Che did stumble over one or two of his lines during update, but not to the level of "Prince, ladies and gentlemen!"). It's a real shame that the old couple sketch got hosed up because I thought that one was great. And holy poo poo -- being some feet away from Prince during that performance was awesome.

There was a sketch that got cut from dress that I wish made it -- Chris Rock and Kenan were cops. Kenan played a police chief and they were sitting in his office talking about how it is to be two black officers in the force. The sketch starts out making you think it was going to be some sort of social commentary but it quickly devolved into a poop joke about how Kenan wears diapers. I was laughing like an idiot but it seemed to get a tepid response from everyone else.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

1. Carrey
2. Hader
3. Prat
4. Rock
5. Silverman

1. Hader
2. Carrey
3. Silverman
4. Pratt
5. Rock

I enjoyed Sarah Silverman's episode waaay more than this week's ep for sure. This episode was pretty weak, come on.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The dress version of that trainwreck couple sketch is up. It's still pretty terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXc4_lh4e1U

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I don't even think that's the dress version so much as the live version with the timing mishap chopped out.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

blunt posted:

The dress version of that trainwreck couple sketch is up. It's still pretty terrible.

The live version of the sketch should be required viewing for anybody interested in comedy and specifically in all of the ways you can do it wrong.

I'm not being flippant either: it really had all sorts of things wrong. Weak writing. Horrible timing. Delivery flubs. It's like a clinic in what can go wrong.

There was a Hader sketch uploaded to YouTube once from dress, which I think had Justin Bieber in it, where Hader and Mulaney took apart the sketch with commentary and explained how everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I'd actually like to see something like that for this, because the only way that sketch worked was as a cautionary example for future shows and performers.

That this happened is one of the risks SNL takes and one of the reasons I love the show.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Everything about this episode was terrible, except for Prince.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
So disappointed about the lack of Nat X.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Tonight, from season 4: Ricky Nelson with Judy Collins

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78l.phtml

Was this really the episode they submitted for an Emmy that year? I usually skip past it when watching the S4 DVDs. It's not terrible, but I have no interest in Nelson's fame or whatever for his songs that were popular in the 1950s, and that he played in the monologue. And also at the end of the show. This was kind of a Jon Bon Jovi/Foo Fighters episode of its day, where the famous musician hosting plays more songs than the actual musical guest. It's a good show I suppose, just not interesting to me, personally. In a season where Frank Zappa and half of Monty Python all hosted, I can think of better episodes.

SNL Vintage checklist
  • 1975 Richard Pryor / [no]Gil Scott-Heron (s01e07 O.A.D. 1975.12.13 SNLV 2014.09.27)
  • 1977 Steve Martin / The Blues Brothers (s03e18 O.A.D. 1978.04.20 SNLV 2014.10.04)
  • 1978 Rick Nelson / Judy Collins (s04e12 O.A.D. 1979.2.17 SNLV 2014.11.8)
  • 1989 Tom Hanks / Aerosmith (s15e13 O.A.D. 1990.2.17 SNLV 2014.10.25)
  • 1989 Alec Baldwin / The B52s (s15e18 O.A.D. 1990.4.21 SNLV 2014.10.11)
  • 1992 Alec Baldwin / Paul McCartney (s18e13 O.A.D. 1993.2.13 SNLV 2014.10.11)
  • 1999 Christopher Walken / Christina Aguilera (s25e16 O.A.D. 2000.4.8 SNLV 2014.10.18)
  • 2008 Josh Brolin / Adele (s34s05 O.A.D. 2008.10.18 SNLV 2014.11.01)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
One of my favorite Al Franken anecdotes in Doug Hill and Jeff Weingrad's book (just below the time he got kicked out of the press pool during a Ronald Reagan barnstorming tour) is connected to this episode:

"[Ricky] walked into Lorne's office while Franken was there, lying on the floor with his feet up on Lorne's desk.

"'Hey Rick,' Franken said cheerfully, 'how about an "Ozzie's Dead" sketch?'

"After Franken left, Lorne turned to Nelson and said, 'That was Al Franken. You have to understand.'"

We should be very grateful that we got that Twilight Zone sketch instead.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

EasyEW posted:

We should be very grateful that we got that Twilight Zone sketch instead.

I'm guessing it's just too dated to land today. I swear that sketch was 20 minutes long.

vvv This p much covers it vvv

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 9, 2014

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just watched the vintage episode, I really only enjoyed the point/counterpoint. Comedy just doesn't age well. That was an awful lot of f-bombs though. I was really confused by all the swearing in that song whatever it was.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I think the biggest problem with that vintage ep is it required so much knowledge of who Rick Nelson was. I had to look him up on wikipedia in order to figure out WTF was going on with a lot of it. I mean, its a thing with SNL hosts to play off of how the public knows them (see also: the aforementioned Bon Jovi episode), but this one was exceptionally bad for it.

On the other hand, i found out that Agent Gibbs is the uncle to some of the worst music (but best hair) of the 90's. So...even bad vintage SNL eps are good for something.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm guessing it's just too dated to land today. I swear that sketch was 20 minutes long.

That was definitely one of those sketches custom crafted for boomers. I can guarantee you that every one of those shows was in heavy rerun rotation somewhere throughout the 1970s. And then on Nick At Nite. And finally on Antenna TV, the only post-millenium network that gets an outcry when Hazel is pulled from the lineup.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

EasyEW posted:

That was definitely one of those sketches custom crafted for boomers. I can guarantee you that every one of those shows was in heavy rerun rotation somewhere throughout the 1970s. And then on Nick At Nite. And finally on Antenna TV, the only post-millenium network that gets an outcry when Hazel is pulled from the lineup.
Hahaha.

It's been a while since I've read the aforementioned Hill/Weingrad book, but I seem to remember that, especially towards the end of the original run in the 4th and 5th seasons, these big production numbers were written specifically to be "too big to cut." Nobody wants their poo poo to be cut and SNL's writing world is a particularly cutthroat environment. If you wrote a long and/or elaborate set piece with lots of costumes, sets etc, and got it through to Saturday night, it would cost too much to cut after Dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I don't mind that Chris' sketch performance supposedly sucked or whatever. Imo he has some insights that deserve an audience, and lot of that came out in that bit.

• Locked thread