Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

scarycave posted:

Paper Mario really knows how to do memorable boss fights. It's actually pretty hard to choose an actual top favorite between them.

Indeed. While it is the only Paper Mario I've personally played, from the gameplay footage that I've seen of the other three, it definitely has the most memorable bosses. Most have great personalities and are fun to try and beat (Except Smorg, because gently caress Smorg).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
It's not Paper Mario but it's predecessor, Super Mario RPG featuring mother loving CULEX

Wallpaper sized. The real boss of SMRPG was getting the goddamn Super Suit from 100x jumps, could only ever do it on an emulator with save states.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Culex was loving bullshit, how could he be your favourite.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

RatHat posted:

Lazy Shell (weapon) on Mario, Lazy Shell (armor) on Peach, and any other loving character.

Timed hits on Peach's poo poo made you immortal.

What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment. That's why I love JRPGs and grinds in MMOs.

Broken in the head.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah that's my point, you had to basically break the game in order to beat him.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

RatHat posted:

Yeah that's my point, you had to basically break the game in order to beat him.

Ozma in FF9 made Culex look like a loving Blue Slime. You had to break the game WAY harder to get Ozma down, or just luck out and not get so many insta-wipe attacks.

Speaking of which, mother loving Ozma:

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I beat him the first time I tried as a kid. :shrug:

Some people suck at video games mang.

Lord Sexatron has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Nov 3, 2014

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

RatHat posted:

I beat him the first time I tried as a kid. :shrug:

arsenicxenon
Aug 9, 2013
most platinum games bosses are unbelievably cool but monsoon will always stand out for me

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
Another in the Breath of Fire series, IV this time.

Fou-Lu

You basically had reverse boss fights the whole game, playing Fou-Lu while you matured as a dragon with Ryu in your main group. Finally you fight him and can merge with him to become a perfect being of destruction with Fou-Lu being dominant, or the "good" ending with Ryu being dominant and leaving the world normal and boring.

Fou-Lu's amazing battle theme and why everyone should love him

You get to fight and kill your own party when you pick the "bad" ending. Best poo poo ever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lord Sexatron posted:

Ozma in FF9 made Culex look like a loving Blue Slime. You had to break the game WAY harder to get Ozma down, or just luck out and not get so many insta-wipe attacks.

I've beaten her with the team at level 1. A lot of her attacks become interchangeable "one or more characters die" at that point.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I've beaten her with the team at level 1. A lot of her attacks become interchangeable "one or more characters die" at that point.

Lord Sexatron posted:

You had to break the game WAY harder to get Ozma down

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I should also mention the Roxas fight from Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix. It's a pretty challenging fight that requires really good evasion and blocking, his attacks look super awesome, and the background music is The Other Promise, which is a super good piano theme. The Kingdom Hearts series might be outlandishly stupid in pretty much every way but it's responsible for a ton of memorable moments.

Also you can steal his weapons from him and make them airjuggle him with lasers, that's pretty much a recipe for fun bosses right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChoCAm7rWzo

Lord Sexatron posted:

Another in the Breath of Fire series, IV this time.

Fou-Lu

You basically had reverse boss fights the whole game, playing Fou-Lu while you matured as a dragon with Ryu in your main group. Finally you fight him and can merge with him to become a perfect being of destruction with Fou-Lu being dominant, or the "good" ending with Ryu being dominant and leaving the world normal and boring.

Fou-Lu's amazing battle theme and why everyone should love him

You get to fight and kill your own party when you pick the "bad" ending. Best poo poo ever.

:aaa:

That sounds like an amazing premise, I wish I had a PS1 to play this game.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

I should also mention the Roxas fight from Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix. It's a pretty challenging fight that requires really good evasion and blocking, his attacks look super awesome, and the background music is The Other Promise, which is a super good piano theme. The Kingdom Hearts series might be outlandishly stupid in pretty much every way but it's responsible for a ton of memorable moments.

Also you can steal his weapons from him and make them airjuggle him with lasers, that's pretty much a recipe for fun bosses right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChoCAm7rWzo

:aaa:

That sounds like an amazing premise, I wish I had a PS1 to play this game.

It really was. Breath of Fire 1 through 4 were really compelling games. It all went to poo poo with Dragon Quarter and made the game a survival based suckfest.

The first 4 though, quality.

Also, you don't need a PS1.

http://www.epsxe.com/

I'm sure you can google the bios and rom.

There is also a PC port of BoF4. It looks a bit better than a software render of it in the emu, but if you go full filters and high res options the emulated version is much prettier. The only advantage the PC port has is no slowdown issues from emulation.

Lord Sexatron has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Nov 3, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lord Sexatron posted:

Some people suck at video games mang.

Oh goddammit, I had almost gotten Ozma blocked out of my mind. So many bullshit attacks for the RNG to choose from. When I finally beat her I got so friggin lucky. For some reason half the battle it chose to just cast full heal. On me. :psyduck:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Lord Sexatron posted:

There is also a PC port of BoF4. It looks a bit better than a software render of it in the emu, but if you go full filters and high res options the emulated version is much prettier. The only advantage the PC port has is no slowdown issues from emulation.

Oh, cool!

I know about emulation but every emulator I've used for PS1 doesn't enjoy recognizing my controllers so I've kind of given up on getting it to work. I even tried at a friend's house on a different PC, when we were trying to get LSD Dream Emu working, and it wouldn't register inputs. Technology just hates me.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Oh, cool!

I know about emulation but every emulator I've used for PS1 doesn't enjoy recognizing my controllers so I've kind of given up on getting it to work. I even tried at a friend's house on a different PC, when we were trying to get LSD Dream Emu working, and it wouldn't register inputs. Technology just hates me.

I'm curious if one of the controllers you've tried using has been an Xbox controller. From every source I've seen on the matter, including personal experience, those are generally the most widely-recognized and easiest to work with when it comes to PC games controllers.

If yes, then I recommend trying out a little program called JoyToKey. Unfortunately, it's shareware so the free version is a trial (it doesn't state anywhere how long it lasts and I have yet to encounter any limitations myself from using it) and the full version is seven bucks, but it's pretty much the only option I've found for those times when you come across those games that just won't recognize your controller any other way.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

arsenicxenon posted:

most platinum games bosses are unbelievably cool but monsoon will always stand out for me

I love him because he is a Khmer Rouge magnet ninja, the fight is wicked fun, he has awesome music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQgMntenO8

and because during his prefight speech, you can ignore the whole thing in favor of watching a cyborg pet a kitty.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfb_n7wjb5k

Must be accompanied by the scream.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Every boss in Outland is awesome, especially the final boss, the Two Sisters.

If you haven't played it, it's basically like if Ikaruga was a MetroidVania game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

UltraVariant posted:

Indeed. While it is the only Paper Mario I've personally played, from the gameplay footage that I've seen of the other three, it definitely has the most memorable bosses. Most have great personalities and are fun to try and beat (Except Smorg, because gently caress Smorg).

Smooooorg was kinda makes up for it because you fought him on a moving train.
If you haven't played the first one though, I'd really recommend it.

Out of the bosses though, I'd say Tubba Blubba was probably one of the most memorable bosses.
He also had a pretty neat theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Gi_XnfrRE

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

I'm going to have to say Dirge, the sand worm from shadow of the colossus for my favourite boss

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That reminds me of the Moon from Zelda: Majora's Mask

It's not exactly a boss you fight, but it is an omnipresent (literally) antagonist and just LOOK at that motherfucking unsettling design. I remember first seeing screenshots of that back in 1999 and being all "HOLY poo poo PISS" only not a meme because gently caress you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It has a nose. In space. Where's there no air for the nose to use.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

2house2fly posted:

GRIGORI

Aye, raise your weapon..your teeth of steel, your blood-red voice! Show me your power Arisen! Prove yourself worthy of what lies beyond my corpse! Show that you possess the strength to still my heart. The will to do it. The soul!

This is legit one of the best boss fights in gaming

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Lady Yunalesca was an awesome fight.

Killing God was kinda cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was a cheating son of a bitch and looked up that all you had to do was manage the "zombie" status effectively and Yunalesca went down like a berry smoothie.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Just The Facts posted:

Lady Yunalesca was an awesome fight.

Killing God was kinda cool.

Every Final Fantasy game ends with killing God.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

UltraVariant posted:

I was actually about to say "Well, not Smorg" before I finished reading that post. :v:

i'm surprised this thread got to page 2 and have yet for some smart alec posted john carmack or something.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Nov 4, 2014

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Anatharon posted:

I was actually about to say "Well, not Smorg" before I finished reading that post. :v:
Yerah, Smorg was pretty bland compared to the other bosses. The detective-mystery leading up to him was fantastic, but the boss was meh. No personality, no dialog besides "SMORG", and he was actually pretty tough to beat from what I remember.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

Ya'll ready to get your poo poo kicked in?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Just incase anyone is curious this is Mara from the SMT series and it is exactly what it looks like.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

mind the walrus posted:

That reminds me of the Moon from Zelda: Majora's Mask

It's not exactly a boss you fight, but it is an omnipresent (literally) antagonist and just LOOK at that motherfucking unsettling design. I remember first seeing screenshots of that back in 1999 and being all "HOLY poo poo PISS" only not a meme because gently caress you.

Good post, in general fighting the moon directly or fighting against it is always a good choice for a boss fight.

PYF games where you fight the moon:
Majora's Mask
Dead Space 3
I Wanna Be The Guy
Persona 3, kind of?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Solomonic posted:

Good post, in general fighting the moon directly or fighting against it is always a good choice for a boss fight.

PYF games where you fight the moon:
Majora's Mask
Dead Space 3
I Wanna Be The Guy
Persona 3, kind of?

Final Fantasy 7 counts, I think. It's a moon sized meteor, at least.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Mr Freeze from Arkham City. Such a great idea. Instead of having to attack him in a specific way three times, pretty much all your stuff works, but only once.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Elfface posted:

Mr Freeze from Arkham City. Such a great idea. Instead of having to attack him in a specific way three times, pretty much all your stuff works, but only once.

Ooh yeah forgot about him. He was easily the highlight of the game. You've just gotten pretty much all your gear, and you're fighting him in an area you're familiar with, so the only excuse not to be able to deal with him is your own incompetence and lack of imagination.

Scarecrow in Arkham Asylum was the highlight of that game, but for different reasons. Motherfuckers knew how to make the beginning of the dream sequence look just like a graphics card failing and it's guaranteed to freak anyone even a little electronically savvy right out. The "fight" itself is pretty lame truth be told, but it scores major points for presentation (plus every other fight in that drat game is just you vs. some beefed up Titan version of a Bat-villain).

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah Mr Freeze owns, shame he's like the only good proper boss fight in the entire series.

Also nthing Paper Mario TTYD love. Fun Fact, in the Spanish version, Rawk Hawk's name is HAWK HOGAN.

• Locked thread