Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Auspol November: pigpoopballs.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Replace 'horse' with 'dog' and you've got yourself a Chris Kenny post.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Serrath posted:

If they were to pass fee deregulation within, say, the next month, how long do you think it take to kick in and which cohort of students would likely be the last to be grandfathered in under the old arrangements?

My partner has been agitating to return to school to pursue a masters degree but missed the September enrolment this year. I'm trying to determine how hosed we're going to be if she has to wait until next September to apply to start with the January 2016 class...

Most Unis only advertise fees for the following year, and even then hold off for as long as they can to see what the others are doing.
2015 fees are set now, but 2016 fees won't be until mid-late next year.

From what I've heard; if/when deregulation happens everyone will be looking at which of the big 6 will up their fees first. Then
they'll all increase theirs around the same rate.
Until that happens, they'll probably stay the same which is usually an increase of ~5% each year.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amethyst posted:

Spoiler alert the big 6 will triple their fees.

Yeah, but the rest will only double theirs, to remain competitive :downs:

The UK provides a very good case against deregulation.

e. 5% is the average rate they increase now.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Basically after 2015 everything is hosed and death is certain.

Maybe also during 2015.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bold the whole thing:

A QUEENSLAND domestic violence hotline has been so overwhelmed by women calling for help that some calls have had to go unanswered.

The startling revelation was made by DV Connect Queensland, which also told a public hearing of the Senate inquiry into domestic violence in Australia yesterday that the situation was so dire now that unless a woman had broken bones her situation was not considered “serious”.

The organisation can handle up to 120 calls daily but on Wednesday was snowed under with more than 300 calls seeking help.

DV Connect CEO Di Mangan said not only was the volume of calls increasing but the women’s situations were worsening.

“Most of them are serious to the point now where you think if someone doesn’t have fractures or serious injuries we’re actually starting to see them as not so serious,” Ms Mangan said. “We’re beyond capacity in Queensland.”

She said workers had to juggle up to nine cases at once and were forced on Wednesday to let calls go unanswered.

“I just had to send an email to the workers yesterday, for the first time, (saying) ‘and I hate to have to say this to you as a work group but you have to leave calls’,” Ms Mangan said. “I’ve been watching this trend going up over the year.”

During the hearing, Liberal senator Cory Bernardi sparked anger from Greens senator Larissa Waters when he told representatives of the state’s oldest women’s refuge they were not “experts” and there were times it was appropriate for a man to put his partner in a headlock.

Women’s House Shelta’s Barbara Crossing told the hearing a man had a protection order taken out against his partner using evidence she bit him under the arm.

Ms Crossing, a support worker since 1991, said the injury could only have been caused by the man having the woman in a headlock.

Senator Bernardi said police considered headlocks an “appropriate means of deferring an aggressor”
and Ms Crossing was second-guessing the police who were the “experts”.

Senator Waters said Ms Crossing was the expert and a headlock was an example of domestic violence.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Labor's spokeswoman for women, Claire Moore, backed up Senator Bernardi's denial, saying it was "a bit harsh" to say he had condoned domestic violence.
"He was very clear, he was actually talking about ethics in video games journalism," Senator Moore told Fairfax Media.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You gotta yell "Corybernardi!" and push them down at your crotch first.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haters Objector posted:

must be an Australian driving the pink bus

Nice! :coffeepal:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Remembrance Day is a really good time to send soldiers into a warzone.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Look out Dobby!!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Caught The Chaser's Media Circus for the first time last night, the actual content was ok but the game show format is painful.
They should leave out the games altogether and just make it The Chaser's The Panel.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not for lack of trying.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

story: http://m.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/australian-government-tells-un-violence-against-woman-isnt-torture-20141111-11kckm.html

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Where'd we move the migration zone to again? Maybe they're just freaking out because technically, it's an invasion.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They missed the opportunity to photoshop Putin's head onto Cher's Turn Back Time body.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/13/jacqui-lambie-is-a-drama-queen-focused-on-power-says-clive-palmer

Clive Palmer has described one of his own senators, Jacqui Lambie, as a “drama queen” who is “focused on her own quest for power” and announced her chief of staff had been dumped from his party.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He also has Titanic II and big dinosaurs :colbert:

<- and this awesome quote

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not one mention of the moon people :(

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Glencore to shut all Australian coal mines for 3 weeks as commodity prices fall
Mining giant which employs 8600 people announces shut down due to oversupply of coal

theguardian.com, Friday 14 November 2014 10.11 AEST

Mining giant Glencore will shut down its Australian coal operations for three weeks due to an oversupply of the commodity.

The three week shut down will be carried out across all of Glencore’s Australian coal operations in December.

Glencore said the move was driven by the current oversupply of coal, which has hurt prices of the commodity.

Glencore owns 13 coal mines across NSW and Queensland, which produced more than 80 million tonnes of thermal and coking coal last year and employed around 8,600 people.

The shutdown will see the company’s coal production cut by around five million tonnes.

“This is a considered management decision given the current oversupply situation and reduces the need to push incremental sales into an already weak pricing environment,” Glencore said in a statement.

But the company said it was confident demand for coal would grow and the oversupply would be addressed over the medium term.

“We remain confident in demand growth for our products and believe that the supply and demand balance will be restored in the medium term,” it said.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Auspol December: Anidav. Leave Queensland.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nibbles! posted:

From what I understand Halal slaughter allows for the animal to be stunned whereas Kosher slaughter does not.

From my limited research, Halal only requires that the animal is alive as it is slaughtered. Australian law requires the animal to be stunned first and this doesn't seem to conflict with Halal certification.

A number of animal rights groups are opposed to the Kosher method as it requires the animal to have it's throat slit, but I couldn't find a definitive answer whether it needed to be conscious or not.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
gently caress my news feed is equal parts horrifying and hilarious

• Rupert Murdoch confirms that News Corp is considering buying a "small piece" of Ten, and again slams former News Corp Australia boss Kim Williams.

• Law changes could see legitimate refugees sent back, Senate inquiry told
    Human rights groups say the new laws are likely to cause major delays in the courts for asylum seekers

• Prime Minister Tony Abbott has revealed he told Vladimir Putin earlier this week that Russia should stop trying to "recreate the lost glories" of its past.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jamus posted:

I am against Halal certification being performed by for-profit companies, food certification (vegetarian, vegan, Kosher, Halal, whatever) is too important to have it be involved in the process of capitalism, companies shouldn't be deciding on which Halal certifier they go with (and are inspected by) based on cost. At the very least they should be non-profit.

Then how is terrorism supposed to make any money from it??

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They do.
There's entire Kosher food sections in some Coles/Woolworths. Imagine the shitstorm if there was a Halal section.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anidav posted:

Can someone post The Courier Mail front page in all its glory? You know. The one declaring war on Russia?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HookShot posted:

I'm not sure if the simple English like "Go Putin Go Russia" implies they might be immigrants, or if it's just Queensland.

ahem

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just in time for summer!

Victorian fire authority cuts jobs as union warns of 'catastrophic' fire season

Victoria’s rural firefighting service, the Country Fire Authority, is cutting 164 jobs on the brink of what the firefighting union warns could be a “catastrophic” fire season.

A leaked CFA management document shows that around 10% of the organisation’s workforce is in the process of being made redundant, resulting in savings of $16m a year.

The roles include those in “fire and emergency management”, business services and the training of volunteers. A total of 41 of the positions have already been axed.

Details of the job cuts have emerged as Victoria prepares for its fire season, with fire restrictions placed across multiple areas of the state on Monday.

The United Firefighters Union said the job cuts were part of a Victorian government move to strip $66m in funding from the CFA.

“There is less being spent on firefighting compared to 2009, despite Victoria’s population increasing,” Peter Marshall, Victorian secretary of the union, told Guardian Australia. “These job cuts are ill-conceived and stupid. I’ve never seen a government downsize critical emergency services on the brink of a potentially catastrophic fire season.

“We know fires are becoming more intensive and more frequent and here we are cutting 10% of the CFA’s workforce. It just doesn’t add up.

“The whole state will potentially be placed at risk by this policy. We already have fire stations unattended because of a lack of firefighters. It doesn’t matter what the political party is, they have a duty of care to communities. This government hasn’t fulfilled that duty of care.”

Victoria’s Coalition government, which is facing an election on November 29, has insisted that the CFA restructure will only affect backroom staff.

Kim Wells, Victoria’s minister of police and emergency services, said the claim that the move would damage firefighting capability was “absolutely rubbish.”

“This is another example of the UFU and their Labor mates attempting to mislead the Victorian people on the eve of an election,” he said. “Under the Napthine government Victoria’s emergency services have been strengthened by more than 200 extra CFA career firefighters, with more to graduate by the end of the year.

“These 206 extra recruits are providing crucial frontline support to the more than 55,000 CFA volunteers who work across more than 1,200 brigades protecting their fellow Victorians.

“Over the past four years the number of extra volunteer firefighters has also increased considerably, with more than 800 additional firefighters working at stations across the state.”

Wells added that the Coalition had provided the CFA with more than $2.29bn in funding since it took power in 2010.

Wade Noonan, Labor’s emergency services spokesman, said the job cuts would put Victoria’s population at risk. “We have to support firefighters, because they protect our families,” he said. “Only a Liberal would cut funds to firefighting at the start of bushfire season. Locals aren’t going to forget this.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/17/victorian-fire-authority-cuts-jobs-as-union-warns-of-catastrophic-fire-season

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Now Tony's managed to piss off Alan Jones of all people.

also

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/17/locals-tell-refugees-to-leave-nauru

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Al Jazeera smells like terrorism

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endman posted:

It has Al in it so it's the Al Qaeda news programme right?

Hmm, are they brothers?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Murder my are self

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Holy poo poo

First Contact: SBS program creates a frenzy on social media after viewers react to controversial show

The premiere of the controversial program First Contact on SBS last night has prompted a social media frenzy.

The show takes six non-Indigenous people who have never had contact with Aboriginal Australians and places them in Indigenous communities for the first time.

Accompanied by Ray Martin, the group spend 28 days immersed in Aboriginal culture as cameras capture their reactions.

"Over the next 28 days you and I are going on an amazing journey around this country of ours," Martin told the group of participants.

"You are going to see it in a different light. You're going to get a sense of what it must be like to be an Aboriginal Australian. But let me tell you it's not going to be an easy journey.

"You're going to be shocked, you're going to be confronted.

"I think it's going to be a real emotional rollercoaster."

Sandy, a 41-year-old mortgage broker told Martin at the beginning of the show that white people had better genes.

"If they are spending dole cheques on booze, don't give them their dole cheques," she said.

"When it comes to brains, white people have a better gene, a better make up.

"If you're out there and you're looking at f**king kangaroos jumping past and snakes and goannas, build a fire, how much more can you learn?

"If you think it's racist – I don't f**king care."

On her first night with Aboriginal hosts she said: "I'm not staying. I can't, I can't. I know what happens on those mattresses, and they all sleep on them with all their sweat and all their partying and all their boozing and their yahooing and I ain't sleeping on it. It's dirty."

Sandy quit the show half-way through.

Jasmine, 33, a mother of four who receives welfare payments to help support her family, said she did not believe Aboriginal people should be entitled to more welfare than white Australians.

"Because they've got the actual title as an Aboriginal - that entitles them to more say like welfare, like housing, free housing, free loans, so they get a lot more.

"I reckon the Aboriginal people get four times more than the amount we get."

On her first night with an Aboriginal family where her hosts put on a BBQ Jasmine said: "I was thinking that traditional Aboriginal people would be eating like bugs ... not like steak, and chops and salad and chicken."

Other contestants included supermarket worker Bo-Dene, 25, food nutrition student, Alice, 31, law enforcement officer, Trent, 28, and part-time photographer, Marcus, 23.

The second episode in the three-part series airs on Wednesday night.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-19/sbs-program-first-contact-sparks-social-media-frenzy/5901890

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ewe2 posted:

http://www.change.org/p/chairman-ja...use-in-adelaide

Pyne is tweeting he's happy with the response, clearly hasn't read the comments.

Unfortunately I missed Pepe le Pew

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please stay out of my dream journal

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I like how half the One Nation facebook feed is complaining that the Libs have stolen all their ideas.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can someone please convince Pauline to start publicly claiming credit for all the LNPs policies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Azza Shazza
tops couple

• Locked thread