Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
My younger brother just got back from a school trip to Canberra. They met Warren Truss in his office, and he apparently spent half an hour rambling about how the Nationals are the champions of country people and also about how much he hated Gough Whitlam.

Foreman Domai fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
VoteCompass for the Victoria election is up on the ABC website, in case anyone is interested.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Four candidates for Mayor of the City of Onkaparinga, and the least objectionable one can't spell or punctuate in his candidate statement.

Maybe next council elections I should run on a platform of seizing territory from neighbouring councils and ejecting foreign usurpers, the paperwork can't cost that much.

Oh, hey there fellow Onkaparinga goon.

Yeah, a choice between two former Liberal MPs and two people who can't spell. We do have two Greens running for council though so it's not a total wash.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Sorry Adelaide goons, Stephen Yarwood just lost by 42 votes to some tory who wants to turn your city into a carpark.

drat. :(

Yarwood happened to be at the pub a bunch of us Greens were having our meeting at last week and he came up and said hello. Seems like a good guy and I haven't heard a bad word about him. It's a shame to see him go.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

What about Simms?

I don't think the results have been officially released yet. Fingers crossed.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Politics isn't football. If your party stops representing your interests, you don't 'follow' them like a team having a bad season, hoping for change. You throw them to the loving curb.

No, but, you see, ~*~change from within~*~

Seriously though Anidav quit the ALP and join The Greens. I actually got a job through a member of my branch so who knows, you might even be able to fix your unemployment woes too.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

ewe2 posted:

He loves to quote Burke like they do, because they all pretend they're 19th century liberals and not 21st century PR hacks for corps. Battlelines is a mess, he tries to own both Whigs and Tories in his description of the Liberals, that speaks volumes.

Yeah, for real, I remember reading Battlelines and it seemed like every third page included a quote from Burke. That and he uses the word 'though' in every second sentence IIRC.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Halo14 posted:

Did you read it with his voice in your mind? Awkward pauses and all?

It was difficult not to, mostly because Abbott's prose is almost as disjointed and awkward as his manner of speech.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

The issue is that the QLD greens are basically extremist anti-vax, anti-GMO and tend to tinfoil conspiracy theories. The best option is clearly "None".

How come someone as level-headed as Larissa Waters is their only MP?

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Urcher posted:

This has not been my experience in the Queensland Greens.

I joined despite their reputation and my local branch is good. I've heard reports that there are some anti-vacc types at the state meetings, but the side of reason has the majority.

The more I hear about the Queensland Greens being some sort of tinfoil hat wearing crazies the more I think it's just some sort of rumor/exaggeration spread by Labor Right to keep people tied to the ALP.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Anidav posted:

You hear it in Young Labor all the time

Can't imagine why.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

In a move that should surprise noone with the barest amount of oxygen flow to their brain, Labor has preferenced The DLP, Palmer, Country Alliance and 'Vote 1 Local Jobs' ahead of the Greens in the Western Region for the Victorian Upper House :allears:

Relevant article from The Guardian on Labor's suicidal impulses when it comes to Greens preferences.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Can't have those awful Greens win safe Labor seats that are reserved for careerist hacks!

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Anidav posted:

The Victorian Labor twitter account has gone crazy and accused The Greens for being in bed with big coal.

:ironicat:

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Can anyone recommend any literature on the NT intervention or give a brief rundown? I feel like it's something I should know more about.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Does anyone know the statistics on what number of people heavily involved in young Labor/Liberals end up becoming candidates for the parties?

100%, probably.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Anidav posted:

All I want is the means to campaign against Campbell Newman, is that such a crime?

This is Queensland we're talking about so, yeah, it probably will be soon.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

I originally joined the Greens just to hand out HTV cards at election day. Now I'm branch secretary, state council delegate, and a member of the constitutional working group. Like Nuclear Spy says, you really sort of have to throw yourself into it because things don't just happen on their own and The Greens are in need of every member/volunteer they can get.

Also that .gif needs to be in every OP.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Sanguine posted:

(2GB/News Ltd/Coalition vs ABC/Fairfax/Social Media/Labor-Left/Greens)

Isn't the point of social media that it's straight from the horse's mouth? This is literally 'reality has a left bias'.

I've actually heard a Liberal supporters claim that Facebook is 'overrun with left-wing bias'.

I don't know either.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Nuclear Spy posted:

I have been given the task of Poll Booth Captain at one of the polling booths for the by-election, which happens the day after the End of Year Christmas Party. It'll mark one year since I met a handful of goons for the first time at Nandos... I'm expecting to see some new goons there too this time :tipshat:

I'm a polling booth captain too; have you got many other people on yours?

It looks like it might just be me all on my lonesome for the whole day. :(

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Nuclear Spy posted:

No idea, I just got the call up, and that's all I know so far! Adelaide branch did a phone bank tonight so I'm sure they'll fill up before next weekend.

Ah, cool, I think some of the branches are 'adopting' booths too, so I might see if my branch is keen to do the same.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Nuclear Spy posted:

They will just end up calculating the number of hours we spend in steam baths. Besides, I'm sure there'll be plenty of content on social media sites that will inconveniently pop up once any of us goons manage to get elected.

I'm looking forward to bathgate. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

Richmond is back in doubt. :(

• Locked thread