Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

That has seriously taken the wind out of my sails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Sisgmund posted:

Apparently the ALP in Vic is preferencing the LNP above the greens because of course they are

I thought they had just declined to preference the Greens above the LNP in every seat. It sounds to me like the ALP will still preference the Greens above the LNP in certain seats - just probably not any of the ones that matter.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/victoria-state-election-2014/victorian-state-election-labor-rejects-greens-deal-20141107-11ilop.html

quote:

Mr Andrews said the party would have more to say on how preferences would be organised in key inner-city seats, including Melbourne and Prahran.

"On a seat-by-seat basis the party will make decisions to obviously maximise our chances of changing the government."

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Mithranderp posted:

For the love of all that is holy, don't read the comments. Just don't.

Wrong approach. Read them, report them.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

poo poo, those comments make we want to dox them and submit a hard copy to every woman who ever encounters them in real life.

It's so sad. This whole week has been pretty sad.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

A new comic by David Blumenstein; this one's about Barry Spurr. If you share it, please use this link to his website:

http://nakedfella.com/blog/2014/11/barry-spurr/

Chicken Parma, thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed it. It is brilliant.

Hope you are well mate :)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i got banned posted:

prohibition kills another human

quote:

Deadly ecstasy pill takes a beautiful girl’s life
Truly heart breaking to hear of the death of an HB9.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Also bad luck on being bad at laws Sex Party. Under the unified national road rules protocol you'll have to lobby the National Road Transport Commission to get national policy changed. Good luck with that!

I don't think this is right. The Road Rules were indeed a national scheme but they are implemented state by state and each state can put in their own variations. For example, in Victoria we don't have a special rule for speed limits in school zones, because we just do this by regular speed signs. Similarly, we also have our own special rules for buses at level crossings. I don't think there's any hard legal limit on the States changing their own road rules.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Just a reminder to anyone masochistic to be watching qanda, that "Susan Greenfield" woman is a loving hack.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2013/apr/09/susan-greenfield-article-how-to-guide

http://www.badscience.net/2011/11/why-wont-professor-greenfield-publish-this-theory-in-a-scientific-journal/

http://www.theguardian.com/science/head-quarters/2014/oct/03/susan-greenfield-mind-change-technology-evidence

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Discussing minor parties with Young Labor only leads to the ultimate consensus that The Greens are just as bad as the Nationals. I am so close to resigning.

Do it

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

What are you even doing muyb

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

I guess you guys aren't familiar with the particulars of the rights and protections which Anidav enjoys at work.

Man that was too subtle for me.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Freudian Slip posted:

So I wrote for the Conversation yesterday about the fact that the GP co-payment is a bad idea because it discourages people from using the most cost-efficient part of our health care system.

https://theconversation.com/medicare-spending-on-general-practice-is-value-for-money-33948

So today in the Western Australian we got

A spokesman for Health Minister Peter Dutton rejected the report's conclusion.

"Over the past decade, the cost of the MBS has gone up 130 per cent and could double again in the next decade," he said. "Suggestions that is sustainable are denying the facts."

Not that anywhere in our report did we assert that Medicare was sustainable or not. They just trotted out the same response they have been giving to all criticisms of the scheme.

Who wants to place a bet whether my project gets its funding from the Department of Health next year?

You're doing god's work mate.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

loving hell, High Court.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Nibbles! posted:

FWIW they've tried before and failed. As long as something is carried out in the name of a minister the High Court has a constitutional right to review.

From this it looks like they're removing references to the UN convention in a bid to stop the court considering it when reviewing cases. I thought this was a head of power issue though so I'm not sure what effect it's supposed to have.

The High Court will indeed have the constitutional jurisdiction to review a Ministerial exercise of a statutory power. However, the High Court has also held that statutes can be drafted in a way that makes the limits of the power quite broad, and gives Ministers considerable discretion in how those powers can be exercised. The High Court has also held that these powers can be drafted so that the Minister doesn't have a duty to consider whether to exercise them. The High Court has also held that these powers can be drafted so that the Minister doesn't have to afford procedural fairness when considering whether to exercise them.

Additionally, many of the decisions in which the High Court overturned a migration decision of the Minister hinged on the High Court reading the migration legislation in light of the international law obligations that the migration legislation purports to implement.

Morrison's latest Bill seeks to disentangle the migration legislation from our international law obligations specifically so that the High Court can't rely on those international law obligations. Specifically, this means that the High Court won't be able to say that a power in the migration legislation is limited by the operation of the refugees convention.

So while it is true that the High Court will always be able to review the exercise of a statutory power by a Minister, the legislature has considerable power in redefining that power so that it is difficult for the Court to identify a limit that the Minister has crossed.

This latest Bill is absolutely not a futile gesture that will just be turfed out by the High Court. I think that to a large extent it will achieve what Morrison wants, which is why I'm terrified that it will pass.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Nibbles! posted:

Thanks for that.

My understanding was that there was no obligation to legislate for international law obligations and that the comparison is made to decided whether the law itself purports to implement the obligation where there is otherwise no head of power to do so?

e: or was it a case of statutory construction?

There's no obligation to legislate for international law obligations. However, the way that the Migration Act is drafted shows that it is intended to implement some of those obligations - including obligations under the refugees convention. So the High Court has been able to limit the Minister's powers by saying "The powers the migration legislation gives you are to be interpreted in the context of the refugees convention, and that means that it is implicitly limited by that convention." This Bill is aimed at falsifying that premise that the powers in the migration legislation are implicitly limited by the refugees convention.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I don't have time to look at it now but, for example, I am pretty sure it amends powers in the Migration Act and the Maritime Powers Act by saying "If this power is exercised in a way that is inconsistent with Australia's international obligations, this inconsistency does not invalidate the exercise of the power." Which is basically saying "international law doesn't limit the Minister's powers in migration legislation".

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

If you want to learn more, start here: http://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/opinionsonhigh/2014/09/29/news-migration-bill-targets-high-court-rulings/

e: and here: http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/15/asylum-seeker-bill-allows-australia-to-ignore-risk-of-persecution

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

Gods loving drat it, there is no loving low Abbott won't sink to, is there?

Let's all petition the Governor-General to sack Abbott because reasons.

These petitions are so loving stupid.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

What are you doing that's better?

Scratching my own arse.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I mean I could give you a list of the organisations I donate to and volunteer for but let's not kid ourselves, the petition doesn't set the bar particularly high.

Find me one constitutional scholar or political scientist who actually thinks it's worth petitioning the governor general to dismiss the prime minister on the basis that "he are a bad prime minister" and then we can talk about this some more.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ScreamingLlama posted:

He's not just a bad prime minister... he's the worst goddamn PM we've ever had. No other PM in history, not even John "Terrorist Hotline" Howard, has embarrassed us and treated us so badly.

On what planet is this grounds for the Governor General to dismiss the prime minister? What constitutional convention would justify dismissing the prime minister on that basis?

Answers:
None of them; None of them.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Seriously dude, if you're terrified and distressed that Abbott is the worst thing ever, you're in the right thread. But you really have to understand that it would be completely against all constitutional principle for the Governor General to dismiss the Prime Minister on the basis that he supports a GP co payment (I mean, for gently caress's sake).

Also, that petition ostensibly asks him to "perform a double dissolution". There is no reserve power to do that. Double dissolutions can only be done in accordance with the procedure set out in the Constitution regarding deadlocked Bills.

Whoever wrote that idiotic petition has no loving idea what they're talking about. Which is, from the right's perspective, perfect.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah TOML stop defending Abbott you Liberal apologist.

poo poo beet don't ban me plz

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/18/video-shows-disabled-brisbane-man-punched-queensland-police

footage of brave queensland cops repeatedly punching a restrained double amputee in the head

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Amethyst posted:

OK That footage is hosed up. Will the cops end up in gaol?

Don't get your hopes up.

I am still waiting to see how this story concludes: http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/four-to-stand-trial-over-ballina-cell-block-bashin/2421662/

Also, regarding that video and the Guardian article, spread it as far as you can. FB it, tweet it, tweet it directly at the QLD police force and their CMC.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

The Welfare Lobby posted:

Can anyone recommend any literature on the NT intervention or give a brief rundown? I feel like it's something I should know more about.

https://journal.anzsog.edu.au/publications

2012, Issue 3

quote:

The Northern Territory National Emergency Response Intervention (the Intervention) of 2007 was a bold experiment by the Howard Government. The Intervention was developed quickly without comprehensive policy development based on evidence or consultation. During its five-year statutory life (ending August 2012), the absence of coherent policy logic has seen the Intervention fundamentally reframed by the Rudd and Gillard Governments. The unprecedented and controversial nature of the Intervention has seen extraordinary levels of monitoring, review and evaluation, but the absence of an overarching evaluation strategy has resulted in a fragmented and confused approach. In this article, we do not seek to critique the Intervention itself or to assess whether these multiple monitoring and evaluation exercises have been successes or failures. Indeed, our review illustrates that in highly contested policy areas, notions of success, failure and the evaluations themselves become politically charged. Instead we make a series of critical observations regarding this contradictory messiness of evaluations, using political science and anthropological frameworks to draw wider conclusions about the nature and logic of evaluation fetishism. We conclude that evaluations of the Intervention have not led to greater transparency, accountability and monitoring of outcomes and outputs. The Intervention evaluations instead are consistent with the view that they are both obfuscating mechanisms and techniques of governance designed to allay public concern and normalise the governance of marginalised Indigenous Australian spaces.

Like okay it's not the most directly relevant thing but srsly

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

This is so excellent.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I hope you're all writing lovely "thank you" emails to J Lambie

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Endman posted:

That's a big loving cop out.

Penny Wong needs to grow some integrity and split. Cross the floor. Do whatever it is you do in the upper house when everyone else is voting to create some kind of weird fascist hellscape.

Correct. I've no time for people who think "bu-bu-but I had to show party solidarity" is in any way a valid answer to the question "why did you gently caress over your constituents"

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Laserface posted:

Taking the internet seriously I see.

Laserface you're a dickhead for real

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

But the interesting one today is Guy Rundle's piece on Lambie, the one-issue blocker: he shills his own Quarterly essay which I refuse to help with and I bold some things worth noting.

The important thing here is that Lambie is a symptom of our dissatisfaction with the system, whatever you think of her individually. We hated Harradine when he did it, and we may well hate Lambie the same way. But at least she isn't a cosseted student politician with no life experience being arse-licked by time-serving media shills. And it's looking increasingly likely that we can't do much about the shills so let's change the shill-ees and at least make their jobs difficult. Lambie for all her faults isn't that bad; as the way Leyonhjelm's partnership with Imperial Tobacco indicates how cheaply he is bought for example.

The message we're increasingly getting from the media pals of our dear leaders is shut the gently caress up and let us gently caress you over the way we want. So don't give them what they want. Vote in a Lambie, it might just save your life.

Additional:

Herald Sun went on a funding rampage on behalf of the Murdoch Research Children's Institute to the tune of $25m. They had the money pledged by ALP and Libs within the day. Not that it helped Andrews any, they're still screaming about the EW link, union corruption etc.

Post of the day, thanks for this.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

So the government actually allowed Sportsbet to release a debit card.

What?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Kommando posted:

Chris Bowen spoke on ABC news radio this morning in an interview about the 'barnacles coming off the budget'. He was forceful about the govt needing to abandon the budget and start again. He spoke clearly and started calling the GP Co-payment a GP Tax.

Yes but has he yet been publicly flogged for the way he tried as hard as possible to gently caress the lives of countless refugees

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

This is right near the top of my list of issues that I feel most passionate about and yet there is no loving way I can listen to more than two seconds of that song.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

katlington posted:

Somebody remind me whats horrible about Chris Bowen please?

http://www.news.com.au/national/immigration-minister-chris-bowens-deportation-of-asylum-seeker-illegal/story-e6frfkp9-1226601803312

quote:

AN ASYLUM seeker facing deportation to Afghanistan after a decision by Immigration Minister Chris Bowen has won a reprieve, after a court found the immigration department's bid to remove him was not carried out legally or fairly.

"It is inexplicable why the minister accepts that the processes he has put in place must accord with procedural fairness and yet rejects the necessity for him to consider the recommendations and assessments made when making a decision,'' Justice Geoffrey Flick wrote in his reasons for judgment.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2012/s3621965.htm

quote:

In 2006 Labor in opposition fought furiously against John Howard's move to excise the Australian mainland from the migration zone and they won.

Six years on the Gillard Government will rush legislation into the Parliament this week to do just that.

The Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the mainland excision is a recommendation of the expert panel on asylum seekers and is legal.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

oh my god

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

For the record, Laserface, here's why your post was dumb as poo poo:

Using "sewing circle" to describe a collective of people engaged in petty trivial gossip is a sexist thing to do. This is because

(1) Sewing circles have unarguably traditionally and historically been groups of women. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_circle

(2) Society has long trivialised social interaction and discussion among women by perpetuating the stereotype that gossip is predominantly the domain of women.

These things hold true whether or not there is anything essentially or inherently feminine about sewing. They hold true whether or not the person doing this analysis believes that sewing is women's work.

So it is possible to observe that "sewing circle" is a gendered slur without actually holding any stereotypically sexist beliefs yourself.

In fact not only is it possible, it's actually the only informed view to reach.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

"The Greens do not distinguish between Catholic schools and other non-government schools."

omg the loving nerve of those grens

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

IslamoNazi posted:

In unrelated news, I've just been accepted as a bone marrow donor and am poo poo scared. So I'm telling anyone and everyone to make sure I don't back out of this poo poo.

ps Don't Google the needles.

gently caress dude, that is absolutely heroic. Best of luck with the procedure, you're genuinely awesome.

Matthew Beet posted:

One more sleep buddy.

Please I long for death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I really don't want to follow this, I'm far too anxious about it.

It seems both idiotically bold and a bit daft to make a prediction, but, gently caress it, YOLO:

My prediction is that we won't have a result for the legislative assembly until Monday at the earliest but the eventual result will be:
- Greens: 1 seat
- ALP: 44 seats
- Coalition: 43 seats

As for the upper house, who loving knows.

• Locked thread