Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The food industry don't help, but they're just doing what they can to make money. Governments are the responsible parties in this whole issue, particularly their planning departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

It's lucky that getting weight loss surgery also includes consultation with a dietitian and psychological assessment(/therapy as needed) then, isn't it?

Yes the government is well known for providing adequate psychological care under the MBS.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tobacco+price+smoking+rates

http://www.nhpa.gov.au/internet/nhp...ctober_2013.pdf

If anyone actually cares about smoking rates by city.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 3, 2014

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

CrazyTolradi posted:

EDIT: And as to impact in cigarette sales, taxation did nothing. Plain packaging and not being able to display cigarette/tobacco goods has done far more to impact on sales than taxation ever did. Why do you think big tobacco cried blue murder when Labor passed plain packaging and fought it as far as they possible could (and still are, I think?). Also, E-cigs have become a big thing and obviously are taking cigarette market share.

This is just plain wrong. You see declines in smoking rates as the cost goes up even in countries without plan packaging.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Are you expecting someone to defend it? It's a disgraceful act and whoever perpetrated it should be arrested and tried.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't remember if it was Meyers-Briggs or some other test but I had to take one of those hokey things for a job in the (New Zealand) public service. Just answer the way you know they want you to answer, it's not like you actually have to reveal your personality.

Aside from the unpaid trial, which is outrageous and if they're making you do one it's probably a pretty lovely place to work, it's all pretty standard stuff.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 6, 2014

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's a bizarre and meaningless debate. What's a European nation? What's an Asian nation? We're not in Europe, so it can't be about geography. If it's about engagement it's not like we have to choose one or the other.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How can we have competitive federalism with stymieing organisations like that?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Install a special lane for cars and give the rest of the road to bikes imo.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I vaguely remember Gehry chat from a prior iteration of this thread.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/frank-gehry-paper-bag-building-at-university-of-technology-set-to-seduce-students-20141111-11kbtt.html
Christ it's ugly.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

try to come up with a peaceful alternative which ends up pleasing nobody

Public service experience rubbing off.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'd guess funding would be withdrawn and they'd collapse.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Welcome to GovBook, please download and install the Citrix app for access. You'll need your tax file number and 100 points of ID.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Not really, the ACT doesn't have an upper house and it's doing OK.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coal_production

To give him the benefit of the doubt he was probably thinking of exports.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal#Major_coal_exporters

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

So you're saying free trade is a death sentence for FNQ's cattle industry because it cannot support the demand in drought conditions which both federal and state governments are ignoring?

Yes, demand exceeding supply will truly destroy the industry.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Endman posted:

I should also mention that Europeans have a massively overdeveloped cognitive-dissonance cortex that leads them to believe in really stupid poo poo despite all evidence to the contrary. Like the legitimacy of imperial colonialism as a civilising force.

Europeans were hardly the only colonists.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

With Lateline gone we could have five days of Media Watch every week.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A real nihilist would join the Liberal party.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Did QUT actually ban the formation of Greens groups?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is there any kind of documentation?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's quite different to an explicit banning of Greens groups.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cripes imagine the efficiency gains if they had to fill out a form and have it approved by six different managers to get a taxi voucher.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

To be fair the electoral system is pretty shameful too.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hopefully they replace Bush Telegraph with a show about medieval poetry or something. Barnaby Joyce would never hear the end of it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

It's probably always been the case but it feels increasingly like there are two completely different conversations (2GB/News Ltd/Coalition vs ABC/Fairfax/Social Media/Labor-Left/Greens) happening in Australia and never the twain shall meet.

It is the case.

Local radio seems to give a reasonable amount of airtime to local conservatives, and the IPA and CIS are all over the ABC. I don't really know what more they can do. Counterpoint on RN is probably the only dedicated ABC show with a contrarian viewpoint, something similar on TV might work?

I'd also like to see more diversity at the other end of the political spectrum. When was the last time the ABC had a show pushing a communist or theocratic point of view?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 24, 2014

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

All the time, i've lost count of how many times i've heard someone on the ABC assure me that 'Islam is a religion of Peace'

But when was the last time they had a show full of people agreeing that we need to introduce sharia law and morality police?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Fortunately what the public thinks about climate change, or any other issue, has very little to do with government policy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I think the Australian version of The Spectator is probably the worst form of news media in this country. Some of their previous front covers have been pretty unsubtle.

I think you'll find The Spectator is by far the best satirical magazine in Australia.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.australianracinggreyhound.com/australian-greyhound-racing/sportsbet-launches-new-cash-card-for-punters/58185

Seems fine, or at least no more predatory than anything else they do.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Labor aren't not releasing their policies because of any kind of grand strategy. It's because they don't have many policies and the ones they do have are either the same as the Liberals or at least equally poo poo. If they actually had good policies that they believed in they would be able to defend them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The government can go on the attack policies or no. The government are on the attack right now, have been since they were in opposition, and will be indefinitely. There is more than enough criticism to fill every hour of every day, Labor are not going to change that by keeping quiet. If nothing else they can be criticised for not having any policies. It's a damned if you do / damned if you don't situation and they are choosing the more cynical option, which is yet another reason they deserve the respect of no one.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Murodese posted:

Tony's touting the new Cybercrime Security Center and says that in the period of 1990-1993, he was without a computer and felt like a "non-person". Technology is incredibly important and indicative of the social and business changes experienced over the last 2 decades.

..which is, of course, why he's killed the NBN and not a single member of his government has expressed any willingness to actually do anything for the tech sector, nor has any knowledge about IT at all.

Guess Tony was a big deal on the Liberal party BBS.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Quantum Mechanic posted:

You know, the article isn't wrong about there being a political class. The thing is, though, that the political class is not ordinary people voting for an interventionist welfare state, it's the group of cosseted tories born into wealth, power and prestige who consider themselves the rightful rulers of the country and believe that they above all else know what's best for the people.

It's not like everyone in the political class is a Tory.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Lowercase t.

I had an interesting talk with Lee about it the other day though. She was saying that it's really easy to end up in a bubble in Canberra - to go straight from press conferences and your electorate office to Parliament and committees and forget at some point that you're actually making decisions that affect people; to just start looking at Parliament in terms of other Senators and the public service.

When you can do or say more or less whatever you want with no consequences for two and a half years, then come up with a wedge in the six months before the election and win on that, it's not in the least bit surprising that they don't bother with the public.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

T-1000 posted:

That hearse theft sounds like the best funeral ever.
Part of me wishes there was a way to organise some sort of recall election, like what got Arnie elected governor of California. As it is, a MP could get elected, eat a puppy on live television, and by the time of the next election people will have either forgotten or be more angry about something else.

Or if people could just vote for the policies they want to see implemented.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

Finally we can torpedo the boats

The boats are an issue because of wedge politics.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

T-1000 posted:

Eight years definitely crosses the line from "stability" to "sinecure".
In one Swiss canton, women didn't get the vote until the sixties or seventies. The more recent anti-minaret referendum passed pretty easily there too.

They didn't get the right to vote until 1990 in Samoa and that's a Westminster-style system.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

The last holdout Swiss canon was forced by the Supreme Court to let women vote in 1990

It's irrelevant anyway. That's a problem with the Swiss not with their system of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Thank Christ our government isn't tempted to pander to them.

• Locked thread