Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Boat people came and went as they pleased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Four candidates for Mayor of the City of Onkaparinga, and the least objectionable one can't spell or punctuate in his candidate statement.

Maybe next council elections I should run on a platform of seizing territory from neighbouring councils and ejecting foreign usurpers, the paperwork can't cost that much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Is United Voice a lovely union?

All unions are lovely, you should trust that your lord and master is paying you the fair wage, benefits, and providing the safe working place that you are due.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I completed high school in 2000, and tech studies (1 semester of wood, 1 metal/electronics) and home ec (1 sewing, 1 cooking) were elective subjects alongside the 3 languages on offer from 9-10, if memory serves.

Year 8 was the same except terms, instead of semesters. I think. I know I did Tech and Japanese 8-10, but Home Ec only in 8.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 4, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Welfare Lobby posted:

Oh, hey there fellow Onkaparinga goon.

Yeah, a choice between two former Liberal MPs and two people who can't spell. We do have two Greens running for council though so it's not a total wash.

:hfive:

Which ones are the Greens? I already filled out my ballot :ohdear:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nuclear Spy posted:

There is one running in Wine Coast Ward and Mid South Coast Ward. By the way, we're planning to have another SA Young Greens drinks on the 17th if you want to meet other goons, will post more details soon.

Ah, I'm in Thalassa ward. How young is young these days?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Greens think I'm an old man :negative:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Wait, rat as in rat meat as food? I thought I'd walked into some weird drugs discussion I was too old to understand :psyduck:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The last wedding I was invited to was held in Germany because of that hateful Ruddock bile, which meant I couldn't go to the wedding of my closest friend because I couldn't afford it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

Most students fresh out of high school are horrible writers, including this young girl in one of my classes who said that calcium comes from "Health shops" with a completely serious face.

Everyone knows it comes from the glass and a half of full cream milk in Cadbury chocolate bars :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gough Suppressant posted:

Anidav, I'm starting to think that maybe the problems you regale us with are caused by the only factor common to them.

The people he's telling them to? :ohdear:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

The Immigration Minister, promoted as a star performer for “stopping the boats”, has gained favour among some backbench MPs and clearly wants to be in control of a new US-style homeland security department that could take some responsibilities from Defence, Attorney-General’s and possibly Foreign Affairs.

A person who not only thinks that a Department of Homeland Security is a good idea, but wants to be in charge of it, should never be anywhere near the leadership of the country.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Matthew Beet posted:

It's a loving travesty if there isn't. I wonder what Andrew Bolt thinks of polling booths without sausage sizzles?

Are they Halal sausages? :smuggo:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Looking forward to the day Morrison goes to sleep one night, and then pulls the hood off his head when he wakes up the next morning in Helmand province, equipped with nothing but his pajamas and a phrasebook that only features variations of "Help me, I'm an immigrant"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

THEY look like aircraft carriers. So why don’t Australia’s two newest, largest-ever warships carry any?
Perhaps because they’d be sitting ducks, serving up our new ‘trillion-dollar turkey’ fighter jets with gravy to any enemy. Perhaps because a fix would be simply be too dear for a nation facing its greatest budget crisis in a generation.
That hasn’t stopped the Abbott Government examining the $13 billion idea to turn our newest troop-carrying warships into aircraft carriers.

This is News making GBS threads on the government for talking about increasing defense spending, and I am clearly in bizarro world

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Kim Jong ill posted:

Oh god this is the worst idea ever, it was the Marine Corps gator freighters and their hard-on for equipping them with STOVL jets that completely ruined the F-35 program. Can we please not buy even further into this colossal fuckup?

The Navy doesn't want it, and the review by ASPI said it was a bad idea and a waste of money, so expect them to announce contract tenders the contract has been signed without tender by the end of the year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Starshark posted:

Hahahaha I got news for you even if Centrelink is completely at fault you still have to pay it back.

I had that happen to a friend at University, entirely their documented fault, but he still had to take a year off study to work and pay back the debt, which he did back in his country town home, not being able to find work that would let him stay in the city and pay back centrelink at the same time.

Except he ended up not paying it back, because he was killed when he lost control of his ute on the way home from work one evening. 10 years ago now, but I still blame them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

In the Fisher by-election here next week the favourite to win is the Liberal candidate, a staffer from the office of shadow minister Duncan McFetridge who unsuccessfully ran for the seat of Elder in 2002, was one of 8 ignored in favour of parachuting Work Choices architect Jamie Briggs into Downer's safe federal seat, and lost a preselection battle to run for the seat of Mawson in 2009.

Because it's all about locals representing their community.

The only marginal positive is that she's not from the right faction, the Liberal members in the area finally and belatedly telling Iain Evans and his cavalcade of allstar ultra conservative disciples to gently caress off.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nuclear Spy posted:

I checked out #fisher on Twitter and saw this tweet about one of the candidates:

Michael Atkinson decides to respond:

One article states he was a member of the Labor Party, from about 2006 to 2008, but said he would not consider joining forces with either Labor or the Liberals in Parliament.

The Liberals running a smear campaign against an independent in Fisher? What a shock. Woodyatt was endorsed by Bob Such's widow, which is likely why right faction hack and Nick Minchin fellater David Pisoni put that up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nuclear Spy posted:

Follow up to this - a number of candidates for this by-election were interviewed on radio this morning. I am good friends with the Greens candidate and while she absolutely smashed the interview, the independent candidate went a bit crazy. In the end it was revealed that despite running on the platform of continuing the legacy of Bob Such, the independent candidate who passed away that triggered this by-election, he doesn't necessarily agree with Such's policies (on euthanasia, marriage equality etc.) but believes the electorate will vote for him for the sake of having another independent representing the area.

Stephen Marshall was apparently up and down my street handing out how to vote cards and having a chat with residents about Heidi Harris today. Wish I'd been about.

I'm voting for the Green candidate. Will be interesting to see if she improves on her primary from the main election, but really on a hiding to nothing in an electorate filled with retirement villages.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hey, maybe while the Taxi industry is busy fighting Uber they'll forget to keep up their lobbying that prevents new public transport routes being opened, like the much warranted extensions of the Adelaide tram system to everywhere including the airport.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So does anyone think it's important that the entire Canberra peanut gallery knows Tony the family values PM has been separated from his wife since 2013, and are all refusing to post the story? The man who paraded his family front and centre during the campaign, already complained bitterly about the attention shown to one daughter who received a fraudulent scholarship, and another daughter with an embassy job in Switzerland she's not the slightest bit qualified for, is his very real separation and not so easily proven alleged affair with Credlin just too far?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 26, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Amethyst posted:

You can't just say poo poo like this without anything substantive to back it up dude. It's just worthless gossip as it is.

Any anyway, who cares? It's a bit of political pragmatism just like Bob Hawke's shambolic marriage during his term. The only reason he needs to keep this poo poo a secret (if it's true) is because of idiots in the electorate.

It's totes cool for the press to help conservatives rag on Gillard for not being married and having an adult relationship with no children, but being separated for allegedly sticking your dick in your chief of staff while your kids are getting expensive favours in echange for legislation while touting yourself as the honest family man shouldn't be published? The electorate may be idiots, but they should at least get both things splashed across their news.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

T-1000 posted:

Fairfax, TV stations, freelancers, maybe even the ABC if they felt suitably Pyrrhic. That sort of thing isn't just journalism, it's history.

How many journalists reported about Cheryl Kernot and Gareth Evans? None of them before her career ended and she wrote her redacted autobiography, despite the whole gallery knowing and Laurie Oakes actually having enough evidence to go to print with.

How many of them reported on Bob Hawke and Blanche despite it being the worst kept secret?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

T-1000 posted:

Kernot & Evans weren't PM.

Kernot was the leader of the party with the balance of power in the Senate having an affair with a member from another party, and it could be argued the affair contributed significantly to the demise of the Democrats.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

T-1000 posted:

Compared to the prime minister she's still minor. The democrats had average results for another two election cycles afterwards before nosediving due to internal instability (much as Labor did). Kernot's only influence on this was Meg Lees being put in charge, and Lees wasn't replaced for four years. At best, this is a butterfly effect.

Cherly Kernot was power hungry and little else, and destabilised the entire party structure. She started it, Meg Lees just put the bullet in the head at the end with the GST, results before then were simply inertia and the lack of an alternative.

I should join the Greens, sit up the back and take a poster sized photo of Kernot to hold up in the air every time Sarah Hanson-Young starts speaking, as a reminder to the Greens that someone came before them, and not to follow the same path.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 26, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nibbles! posted:

Didn't he also say something pretty horrible to Gillard in parliament over not having children?

They consistently suggested her being unmarried and childless made her less informed and less capable of being Prime Minister, particularly contrasted with the Abbott family arrayed for photos at every campaign event.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:stare:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Palmersaurus posted:

She was understood to have become pregnant from the rape, but she is not any more.

Just failed Scott Morrison's good character test by having an abortion too

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mithranderp posted:

Or maybe a miscarriage. Stress is a huge factor in that kind of thing :/

Yeah I'm sure that's what would have happened as well, but, you know, Morrison

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

* Charging for iView. The report suggested this service should be "monetised" by charging after a short period of free access, particularly as its popularity meant the bandwitdth cost would increase rapidly.

If only the government owned some kind of national broadband network that would increase the ability of the ABC to stream out iView for a fraction of the cost

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

nogthree posted:

I've got a couple of pro-lgbti (and possible sex party advocates) friends on my Facebook claiming that Kathleen Maltzahn is transphobic. Do you know anything about this QM?

The Nordic model is a system that lets people pretend they are feminist and respect the choices and care about the welfare of sex workers while in reality judging them and insisting their choices are wrong, and they should make the choices they're told to make because they know better, which is why it's an unpopular system. Pretty feasible for someone like that to also be transphobic, but it's also a pretty easy accusation to sling around.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fruity Gordo posted:

This is a really stupid, completely unsophisticated analysis of the situation, which, coincidentally, reflects one of the huge problems with the current leadership structure of NSWYG: everyone is allergic to dialectics, and ideological correctness must be established with haste and extreme prejudice. That's fine to do on a web forum, but not in the youth wing of a loving political party.

It was simplified but not stupid. I happen to disagree with any policy which criminalises sex work for no other reason than people don't like it, because it's working from an idiotic and fundamentally flawed view that sex work is immoral. The claim that it's to protect women sex workers from being preyed upon by men is a sexist cover and little else.

Also I'm not in the youth wing of anything, what the NSW Young Greens did is none of my care.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nevermind

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 30, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

lightinwater posted:

It's not just a personal choice issue, I support gun control because the risks outweigh the rewards. Now the same may be true of sex work but I struggle to understand why problems A, B & C cannot be dealt with within the framework of normalising it as an occupation

They can be, but they won't be because of the number of people still operating under the basic fallacy that all sex work is immoral

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Splode posted:

in the sex industry, where the workers are the victims

Except that's false, because saying all sex workers are victims because of the ones who are sex trafficked is like saying all factory workers are victims because of the ones exploited in sweatshops.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Splode posted:

edit: all factory workers are exploited comrade. :ussr: :colbert:

ASIO isn't catching my metadata so easily :ssh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

Prostitution is I naked act of material calculation which leaves no room for considerations of love and passion.

I can't really buy into an argument which is, at least in part, predicated on such an unscientific and nebulous concept as 'love'

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Splode posted:

Are you being wilfully obtuse?
"LOVE ISN'T DEFINABLE" is such a bizarre position to fall back to. Are you trying to say that maybe prostitutes and their clients are in love? Is that the point you're making? Or do you not have a point?

I'm too busy reading notes for an exam to pull out everything I disagreed with, and I may have skimmed the piece a little, but that line at the end suggesting that by ending prostitution we allow love and passion to take over makes no sense to me at all. I genuinely do not understand love as a concept, while passion is simply strong desire for something and exists entirely independent of any of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

I thought that exact line was arguing the exact opposite, stating that one should ignore appeals to the contrary when people claim that prostitution is anything other than cold, calculated trade.

I mean there's a lot of silly poo poo in that article (free love under communism baby woooo!) so it's kinda weird to object to that one.

There was more, but emotional calls like that irk me, and I really need to pass this lovely journalism course that tries to pretend the field is still at all noble and ethical... but fine, it's also taking all kinds of prostitution and putting them under the trafficking banner, makes no allowance for male or transgender prostitutes, and automatically assumes all sex workers are doing the job out of desperation for money due to a lack of "normal labour".

• Locked thread