Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-03/surgeons-urge-weight-loss-surgery-in-public-health-system/5861398

quote:

Surgeons urge authorities to make weight loss procedures available in public health system

Two leading Sydney surgeons are calling on health authorities to make weight loss surgery available in the public health system to prolong people's lives and save the public purse from the costs of obesity-related illnesses.

In an editorial in the Medical Journal of Australia, Michael Edye, professor of surgery at the University of Western Sydney, and Dr Michael Talbot, senior lecturer in surgery at St George Hospital, said Australian patients were missing out on life-saving treatment because they could not afford it.

Sensible idea, IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Recently watched a documentary called "Fed Up" which basically analyses the food industry and diet in Americans, of which we have many similarities to over here.

There was a section about surgery to help the situation and why it can be a good thing. However, it points the blame away from the real culprits in the food industry who get rich by making people sick and forcing governments pay millions of dollars in unnecessary health services for 100% avoidable health problems.

Get maccas to pay for them.

Yeah a junk food tax isn't a bad idea.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It wouldn't be a poor tax because Mcdonald's aren't idiots and they know their market. They would work to change their recipes to fall outside of the tax-incurring sugar/salt/fat levels. McDonalds aren't going to sell 8 dollar burgers

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

How would junk food industry regulation work? Cutting out junk food advertising targetting kids is an obvious start but I can't think of another viable policy to really solve the problem outside of a simple tax.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

We already have massive taxes on Beer so no worries there.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

All alcoholic beverages are taxed according to how strong they are. I'm finding it difficult to find a succinct summary of the rate.

There are some small breweries over here but they tend to get swallowed up into large conglomerates as soon as they gain a bit of market traction. It is nowhere close to the level craft breweries in the US

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Apparently we pay an average of $1 per shot in tax for spirits.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zenithe posted:

This can't be right, or at least not consistent. You can get ~40 standards in a box of goon for less than $15

Yeah I'm trying to comprehend the documents from the ATO and it's an insanely complicated mess of exceptions and thresholds. A tax accountant could build an entire career of this one thing, it seems.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Me too :)

Forget taxation the best public health initiative is proper labelling. Red/Orange/Green is the preferred health outcome model and study, after study has shown it to be cheap, easy and effective.

Yeah which is why the industry voluntarily came up with the standard of putting kilojoule values all over everything before someone forced them to conform to a system that doesn't make consumers perform triple digit arithmetic in their heads.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Splode posted:

simple tax wouldn't be that simple, as it requires a definition of junk food. You can bet your bottom dollar it'd take mcdonalds and the other chains about a week to have gotten around the legislation, and the food would still be unhealthy.

Also the 'you can eat healthy even if you're poor' isn't all that accurate for a bunch of reasons, but the one that I think is most important is time. Eating healthy can be cheap, but requires you to prepare every meal yourself. People who are working fulltime don't always have this luxury, and would have to make a bunch of sacrifices to their free time or sleep to actually do it.

Also lol if you think knowing that junk food is unhealthy actually effects how much you eat it.

Well, what is a practical solution then?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I agree that gastric banding is essential as a hugely effective treatment of obesity, but I also think a preventative approach in tandem is a good idea.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

Taxing calories is a stupid idea, taxation would only be passed on to the consumer and as high tax on cigarettes and alcohol shows, does nothing to deter them from consuming such items.

[citation needed]

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

The problem with surgery is it treats the symptoms. If you're eating badly you're still probably going to have long term issues that come from that even though you've dodged the ones related to excess weight.

Eating health can be quick and easy but it takes time and effort learning how to do it. There's also a shifty couple of weeks where your body has withdrawal symptoms from all the sugar.

Emphasis should be education in schools.

Don't start this again. An actual doctor came in last time and said you're wrong.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

You Am I posted:

I remember at primary school in the 80s we had "Charlie the Fresh Fruit Koala", but I guess with the cut backs on education, especially public schools, that program is dead in the water

Those programs are still running and in fact have likely been expanded since you left school.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Just wait until environmental disaster forces everyone to subsist on a diet of compressed ocean bacteria. Problem solved.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Rear Vision did a good report on the shia/sunni conflict, IWC

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/shia-and-sunni-divide-in-iraq/5611166

Download the audio

E: They also did a good report on the house of Saud last week

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/saudi-arabia/5804002

Radio National is great and everyone should listen to it

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-04/state-schools-using-debt-collectors-to-chase-fees/5866230

quote:

State schools are using debt collectors to chase parents for outstanding fees, admits the head of Western Australia's Education Department.

The costs are incurred in public high schools when students enrol in non-core subjects, such as metalwork, which attract an additional fee.

The department's director general Sharyn O'Neill told a parliamentary committee hearing that debt collectors were occasionally used if parents failed to pay those costs.

Australia is cool.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

urseus posted:

Right? What a poo poo life. Pampered and well fed and surrounded by people who adore you and look after your every need, and all you need to do is run which is what you love doing genetically.

But then I guess it's pretty poo poo after a few years you have to go out to pasture and have sex all the time with hot females. Common. These horses are rock stars. A horse in this wild breaks it's ankle it starves to death in agony.

The majority of horses in the racing industry aren't put out to pasture for a luxurious life of stud and hay, they get glued.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Do you guys think Uni fee deregulation will pass? I'm feeling real pessimistic about it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I'm guessing that PUP will support deregulation despite their public promise that they won't. The libertarian dude will obviously support it too.

What about Xenophon and Muir?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Spoiler alert the big 6 will triple their fees.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

In the UK the government passed a law that allowed universities to increase fees from a maximum of £3,290 to a maxium of £9000. At the earliest opportunity, the majority of universities were charging £9000.

I don't see why they would ramp it up gradually at 5% per year, they'll jack it up at the earliest opportunity.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Palmersaurus posted:

e. 5% is the average rate they increase now.

Oh right, sorry

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Click here for footage of John Howard and Tony Abbott getting booed

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/05/cheers-and-jeers-politicians-they-gather-farewell-whitlam

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ler posted:

Did this get posted?
This is huge if it can be proved.

We are so hosed. This is messed up on the most fundamental ethical level

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I really hate those ads

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Wtf

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2014/11/06/ac/dc-drummer-charged-with-attempting-to-procure-a-murder/

quote:

AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd is reportedly set to face court in New Zealand today after being charged with attempting to procure a murder.

Fairfax have reported via their New Zealand website Stuff.co.nz, the musician's Tauranga home was searched this morning, with charges of possession of methamphetamines and cannabis also laid, along with the murder attempt threat.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I got an international Chinese student pregnant, I don't want the child or be with her, but she would not get an abortion. I don't know what her intentions are, but I think she might want to use it to get Australian residency, but I don't really care about that.

I want to know, will the child be an Australian citizen if born here and will I have to pay child support for the next 18 years??

As long as you are an Australian citizen the kid is eligable to be one too

also lmao

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.immi.gov.au/Live/Pages/children-born-to-a-permanent-resident-of-australia.aspx

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Jumpingmanjim please update this thread with details of the saga of your love child, this thread needs gossip

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Liberals openly praising the famously corrupt Joh Bjelke-Petersen still really surprises me. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abc-and-sbs-facing-200300-million-shared-cuts-over-five-years-20141111-11kecn.html

quote:

The ABC and SBS are facing swingeing cuts of up to $200 to $300 million over five years in the mid-year budget update, as the federal government prepares to announce the second round of savings it will demand of the broadcasters.
Sources from the broadcasters and government confirmed to Fairfax Media on Tuesday the magnitude of the cuts expected.

Friends of mine who work in public broadcasting are predicting that the ABC and SBS will be merged into one channel during Tony's second term

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Some good news

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-12/immigration-department-loses-appeal-over-afghans-refugee-status/5885148

quote:

The Federal Government has lost a High Court appeal over the refugee status of an Afghan truck driver who claimed he could not return to his country for fear of persecution.

The Hazara man, who was denied a protection visa by the Immigration Department, had worked for foreign agencies in Kabul transporting construction materials to and from the city.

He fled Kabul in 2011, when another truck driver showed him a letter from the Taliban which named him and urged others to do their "Islamic duty" and get rid of him.

The Department's decision to deny him a protection visa was affirmed by the Refugee Review Tribunal, which ruled the man could avoid persecution by changing jobs.

However, the High Court found the tribunal had failed to consider whether it was reasonable to expect the man to remain in Kabul, and not drive trucks away from the city.

The "get another job" line is completely laughable, how do these people sleep at night?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lol goddamn this poo poo is farcical.

The world is run by idiot boys

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Holy poo poo this is hilarious

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Anidav posted:

So my Facebook account got banned for posting about the planes from yesterday. Reason Given: Suspicious Activity.

That's crazy.

Does anyone else think that social networks should be publicly owned infrastructure? Or is that a really dumb idea?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A video went viral a couple of years back when a couple of white teens went into a halal certified KFC and antagonised another teen working behind the counter by repeatedly asking for bacon.

The media played it as the scary colored boy yelling at the calm white people who just wanted bacon.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah that's it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

That helmet design is the most amazingly lovely thing I have ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU