Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Hezzy posted:

If you were caught using the word "human being" over here you'd probably be sacked. It's a no go. Disgusting word. Retard isn't good either.

I don't like the word either, but I can't really see cops not swearing. In a public encounter, yeah, speak professionally, but I don't see it going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I can't stand "human being" either. It bugs the poo poo out of me to hear it at work and I've brought it up with a few of the guys.

I say gently caress and poo poo all the time but not in front of the public

Edit: hahahaha as I was typing this one of my teammates called a guy a loving retard on the radio

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
the only time swearing is acceptable is on a felony stop otherwise try to be nice. Definitely don't call someone a human being in america.

Pilot to Gunner
Aug 21, 2009

That's what you get, you get fork stabbed.

Hezzy posted:

It really is not hard.

This. Recordings of cops who use a lot of casual profanity always make me cringe because it sounds so unprofessional and stupid. Most adults have to curb their profanity at work, no one respects a teacher or doctor who regularly curses on the job, of course the same should hold for police.

That being said I had a close call when we were responding to a suicide threat at a residence. The porch we were standing on collapsed and as I was falling I let out an "OH SHIII.. [aaah no don't say poo poo!!! Use a different word!] OOOooo... [wait saying 'shoot' around a suicidal person with a gun is worse, shut your mouth!] ooo..nrrggfh." *muffled grunt as I hit the ground*

My FTO came over and was like "Just say 'poo poo' next time, ya nerd".

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

P sure using human being at work would get you in a lot of trouble, mainly because most of the openly gay guys are work are about 6 foot tall and practice MMA.

... the only twink is the resident gun buff and pistol expert

edit: I swear like a loving sailor at work though, just not in public

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae
There is a time and a place for swearing at work. Many of the people I interact with both general public and suspects swear a lot. It is just part of their vocabulary.

Swearing can also have effect as tactical communication to get a point across. I don't use it inappropriately and as a consequence hope to be free from complaint. Hopefully.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

chartley posted:

There is a time and a place for swearing at work. Many of the people I interact with both general public and suspects swear a lot. It is just part of their vocabulary.

Agreed. You have to tailor your communication to the group of people you're interacting with.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I generally try and keep the cursing the a minimum, but if a person I'm dealing with continuously drops F-Bombs I'm going to drop a few myself. Don't tell me to gently caress off and no expect it right back. Besides, treat people how you want to be treated, and definitely don't expect a cursing complaint to go anywhere if you just used every one in the book at the officer first.

e/ gently caress Off.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Agreed. You have to tailor your communication to the group of people you're interacting with.

Always key to know your audience. Just so happens mine at work respond best to more direct conversation. Tactical communication and all that. I think it can even break barriers a bit. If I talk very formal and polite there's a good chance theyd percieve me to be taking the piss and be upset.

If I move area of work I'll certainly have to retrain my go to vocab.

Pilot to Gunner
Aug 21, 2009

That's what you get, you get fork stabbed.

chartley posted:

Always key to know your audience. Just so happens mine at work respond best to more direct conversation. Tactical communication and all that. I think it can even break barriers a bit. If I talk very formal and polite there's a good chance theyd percieve me to be taking the piss and be upset.

If I move area of work I'll certainly have to retrain my go to vocab.

Well yeah, know your audience and don't be super formal (because "Pardon me, sir, so sorry to bother you but may I please arrest you?" does not work on anyone).

Can't really see how someone can't relate to people without resorting to obscenities but I dunno, maybe it does depend on your area. And possibly your gender... my Disappointed Schoolteacher and Formidable Grandma language might not go over as well for a lot of you guys.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

beanieson posted:

I thought human being just meant cigarette over there :confused:

No, that's "fag"

As in "Give us a fag"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuWN6bu7B0s

How can you guys justify deploying about 20 cars to one dude, especially if the first three cars park up and block the lane for the rest of their colleagues?

I realise there looks to be two different departments there but still that's a poo poo load of people for one guy

Pilot to Gunner posted:

Well yeah, know your audience and don't be super formal (because "Pardon me, sir, so sorry to bother you but may I please arrest you?" does not work on anyone).

Can't really see how someone can't relate to people without resorting to obscenities but I dunno, maybe it does depend on your area. And possibly your gender... my Disappointed Schoolteacher and Formidable Grandma language might not go over as well for a lot of you guys.

I understand the need to tailor language to the audience but IMO that doesn't mean you should stoop to their level.

It's very hypocritical seeing as over here it is actually an offence to swear in public near to somebody who is likely to be offended by it.

If I'm telling somebody off or giving them a good grilling I will occasionally use words like "Idiot" "Buffoon" and more recently "Cretin" but that's as blue as I get.

I've got my mock promotion exam tomorrow. Exciting times

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 1, 2014

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
woops

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
They probably had extra cars out because of the COPS crew.

But really we are just incredibly bored and looking for any reason to get to shoot someone.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Oh hey look it's 1st December. Neat.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
December posting gently caress the police

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

SHUT IT DOWN

SHUT IT DOWN

BURN THIS BITCH DOWN

WHOSE STREET?

OUR STREET!

NOT THE POLICE STREET!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685080

The Shep fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 1, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Post. FTP

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I don't follow your rules maaaaaannn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

:effort:

• Locked thread