Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

theAcidQueen posted:

Get hosed, Navy Medicine.

You force me to hobble on a sprained ankle for 2 WEEKS while you pretend that i'm limping all over the ship for no goddamn reason, then wait until i'm brought back from the emergency room on crutches before you ask me

"Well, you can't be on crutches forever, when are you coming back"?

I'm done.

I literally hope I fail this PRT, AND the next one, and finally get my discharge papers. There has to be life beyond the Navy, there has to be.

Go see your doc every day at sick call until you get treatment. Complain to your LPO & chief that you are not being taken care of. If that does not work talk to your division/department head.

In short keep escalating this and document it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

theAcidQueen posted:

You force me to hobble on a sprained ankle for 2 WEEKS while you pretend that i'm limping all over the ship for no goddamn reason, then wait until i'm brought back from the emergency room on crutches before you ask me

I'm done.

I literally hope I fail this PRT, AND the next one, and finally get my discharge papers. There has to be life beyond the Navy, there has to be.

The Navy will cripple you for life if you let them. No one gives a poo poo about you other than yourself. Get an MRI done, document everyfuckingthing.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

KetTarma posted:

The Navy will cripple you for life if you let them. No one gives a poo poo about you other than yourself. Get an MRI done, document everyfuckingthing.

And if you can ensure that it's documented in AHLTA, or that they give you a note even if you have to wait around and sign a DD 2870. Maintain copies. I have had so many friends/patients that have gotten hosed in the past because the mouth breathers on the ship didn't document anything. One almost died because of his auto-immune illness being treated with just Motrin (not a single visit documented) and the other was being given Motrin for a fracture that eventually left him unable to walk from permanent drop foot due to dead nerves. Navy medicine, especially on the ship, can be one of the worst things for your health, and if an injury leads to you having issues when you get out it can be a nightmare to prove it happened while you were in. Documentation is key.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

theAcidQueen posted:

I'm done.

Get lots of documentation and make the VA pay you for your service-connected disability. Your sprained ankle, which will definitely come back to haunt you as an old person, will also be worth beer money from the VA every month forever.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

ManMythLegend posted:

If you are in any way associated with Navy medicine I hope everything you love turns to ashes in your mouth and you die in a fire.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Dude you gotta tell us what happened.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Last time I went to sick-call (Army base OCONUS) I was given motrin and 1 day SIQ (I went back to work because it was already like 1300). Fast forward to Sunday (a total of 9 days later) - I'm getting worse, not better, and decided I didn't feel like dying alone in my apartment, so I go to the ER. Turns out I had fluid build-up in my lungs because I'd had walking pneumonia for ~9 days. First doc (an actual doctor) gave me loving motrin for pneumonia and thought it was a "chest cold".

Ever since then, since I got back to CONUS I just go to civilian docs and then call tricare on the back-end and say "hey, couldn't make it to the nearest MTF". They usually hee and haw a bit, but gently caress them - that's what insurance is loving for...

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!

vulturesrow posted:

Dude you gotta tell us what happened.

Let's timeline this poo poo.

~~14th of October: I sprained my ankle. I'm not a doctor, so I can't immediately diagnose foot pain. I had been wearing shoes with poor support (flatfooted) for a few weeks prior to arriving, so i had chalked it up to
"Ok, it's a shoe problem, switch it up, and it should improve".

~~20th October: I went to barge medical for the 1st time, because it was starting to be a problem. I was given Motrine, and nothing else. no "ok you might have injured yourself let's take you for an X-ray", no "ok we're taking you off the ship for a week", nothing.

~~24th Oct to 3rd November- House Hunting later that week. For the following week, I had essentially no transportation to and from anywhere, so i was walking, LOTS. By that time my foot had gone from minor pain to "hey this is pretty swollen let's go to medical"

~~November 3rd, I went back to medical. By then my foot was rather swollen, and walking consisted of me LIMPING from place to place. Again, nobody says anything, nor is this considered unusual by navy standards, apparently. They finally decide to wrap my foot up, place me on LLD, and give me more Motrine. No talk of X-rays, or anything like that; just "Give it a week, come back and let's re-evaluate"

gently caress that.

~~November 4th: I went to the Emergency Room on my own accord the very next day. I'm able to describe EXACTLY what's wrong to the doctor, immediately get the X-Ray, and finally get a diagnosis of "Ankle Sprain". I'm given crutches, even more painkillers, and back on my merry way I go. When I arrive back at the ship on crutches, I'm almost immediately TAD'd to DESRON for the week, and promptly hurried off the ship.

~~November 5-12: Essentially home all day, every day, enjoying a lovely diet of icing my ankle, painkillers, and watching Animal Planet. My DIVO calls me almost daily to remind me that " I can't be on Crutches Forever, you know", and to possibly motivate me to want to stay in the navy past my 2 year extension.

I have to go back to Ship's Medical on Monday for a follow up, because apparently the idiot HMC there who let me SUFFER for almost a month before deciding that i was actually hurt is apparently the only person that determine my status.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

theAcidQueen posted:

Let's timeline this poo poo.

~~14th of October: I sprained my ankle. I'm not a doctor, so I can't immediately diagnose foot pain. I had been wearing shoes with poor support (flatfooted) for a few weeks prior to arriving, so i had chalked it up to
"Ok, it's a shoe problem, switch it up, and it should improve".

~~20th October: I went to barge medical for the 1st time, because it was starting to be a problem. I was given Motrine, and nothing else. no "ok you might have injured yourself let's take you for an X-ray", no "ok we're taking you off the ship for a week", nothing.

~~24th Oct to 3rd November- House Hunting later that week. For the following week, I had essentially no transportation to and from anywhere, so i was walking, LOTS. By that time my foot had gone from minor pain to "hey this is pretty swollen let's go to medical"

~~November 3rd, I went back to medical. By then my foot was rather swollen, and walking consisted of me LIMPING from place to place. Again, nobody says anything, nor is this considered unusual by navy standards, apparently. They finally decide to wrap my foot up, place me on LLD, and give me more Motrine. No talk of X-rays, or anything like that; just "Give it a week, come back and let's re-evaluate"

gently caress that.

~~November 4th: I went to the Emergency Room on my own accord the very next day. I'm able to describe EXACTLY what's wrong to the doctor, immediately get the X-Ray, and finally get a diagnosis of "Ankle Sprain". I'm given crutches, even more painkillers, and back on my merry way I go. When I arrive back at the ship on crutches, I'm almost immediately TAD'd to DESRON for the week, and promptly hurried off the ship.

~~November 5-12: Essentially home all day, every day, enjoying a lovely diet of icing my ankle, painkillers, and watching Animal Planet. My DIVO calls me almost daily to remind me that " I can't be on Crutches Forever, you know", and to possibly motivate me to want to stay in the navy past my 2 year extension.

I have to go back to Ship's Medical on Monday for a follow up, because apparently the idiot HMC there who let me SUFFER for almost a month before deciding that i was actually hurt is apparently the only person that determine my status.

Sorry to hear, but honestly some of the blame lies with you. Walking around for house hunting when you knew you had a sprained ankle only exacerbated the condition when you should have been resting it/gone and bought an Ace bandage at the NEX (they do wonders). Yes, unfortunately a lot of people limp around in the Navy (either legitimate or fake) so it's not like a guy coming in with pieces of a M2HB receiver and brass shrapnel embedded in his leg and getting first rate care, but the Ace bandage you should have bought would have done a lot to alleviate the swelling and give support if you had to be on your feet walking around. I'm not gonna sugar coat- you're a big-boy/girl and we all know how inadequate Naval medicine can be so if you were expecting them to give you a compress/support bandage, X-ray, rainbows and unicorns etc. the first go-around you thought wrong even though that's their job.

Typically speaking, if it's broken you won't be able to bear weight on it or it should be excruciating pain, so while I'm not siding with medical here I can understand why an X-ray was not at the top of their list. As people here have said before, document everything and if it continues to bother you after it's "healed", get documentation and collect that disability. Remember, you're just another number to the service so be proactive about your own health because no amount of money they give me after I get out is worth a broken body.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

germskr posted:

Sorry to hear, but honestly some of the blame lies with you. Walking around for house hunting when you knew you had a sprained ankle only exacerbated the condition when you should have been resting it/gone and bought an Ace bandage at the NEX (they do wonders). Yes, unfortunately a lot of people limp around in the Navy (either legitimate or fake) so it's not like a guy coming in with pieces of a M2HB receiver and brass shrapnel embedded in his leg and getting first rate care, but the Ace bandage you should have bought would have done a lot to alleviate the swelling and give support if you had to be on your feet walking around. I'm not gonna sugar coat- you're a big-boy/girl and we all know how inadequate Naval medicine can be so if you were expecting them to give you a compress/support bandage, X-ray, rainbows and unicorns etc. the first go-around you thought wrong even though that's their job.

Typically speaking, if it's broken you won't be able to bear weight on it or it should be excruciating pain, so while I'm not siding with medical here I can understand why an X-ray was not at the top of their list. As people here have said before, document everything and if it continues to bother you after it's "healed", get documentation and collect that disability. Remember, you're just another number to the service so be proactive about your own health because no amount of money they give me after I get out is worth a broken body.

lmao

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

germskr posted:

This post bought and paid for by the Lazy Corpsman for the Future Fund.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Not to break up lazy corpsman chat but can anyone get on NSIPS from an NMCI computer?
Trying to decide if it's worth it to drive to base to try to log in from something other than my laptop.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

Not to break up lazy corpsman chat but can anyone get on NSIPS from an NMCI computer?
Trying to decide if it's worth it to drive to base to try to log in from something other than my laptop.

What NSIPS problem are you having?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I cant log on from my laptop due to CONNECTIVITY ISSUES DUE TO RECENT MAINTENANCE according to the main site and help desk. I want to put in a reschedule request for drill and need to do so relatively soon.

I am wondering if it is currently working for people on NMCI computers.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

NSIPS is down. ETR Wednesday afternoon.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

germskr posted:

no amount of money they give me after I get out is worth a broken body.

Disagree. I wasn't using those joints much anyway.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
fags

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

ActusRhesus posted:

Disagree. I wasn't using those joints much anyway.

Aren't you a noble? Some of us serfs will continue to do manual labor post-military lol.

Edit:

Is that flashlight on backwards on that rifle? :psyduck:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

germskr posted:

Aren't you a noble? Some of us serfs will continue to do manual labor post-military lol.

Edit:

Is that flashlight on backwards on that rifle? :psyduck:

Need to get that sweet definition on her forearms while blasting hajis in the dark so they grow to fear strong, liberal, independent American women.

Also Navy is full of idiots, medicine isn't the only place. Lol, chances are your docs in the squadrons are interns, wouldn't be surprised if the ship dude was any different. They make a big deal out of X-rays and MRIs.

When I went to the doctor to see if I had any brain damage from a head injury, it took going to 3 different doctors and telling them I couldn't remember anything when before I was like an encyclopedia before they even considered looking to see if anything changed. Couldn't determine anything because there wasn't continuous check ups because a school where you pretty much just learn about applying tourniquets and following a doctor's orders apparently has greater importance.

Just go around thinking you're the poor sap with the laugh track in sitcoms and you'll be sane.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

replace the clothes will ill fitted coveralls and the m4 clone with a m14 set up to shoot shotline.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SPACE HOMOS posted:

replace the clothes will ill fitted coveralls and the m4 clone with a m14 set up to shoot shotline.

and just the sliiiighhhtttest bit of gastrointestinal discomfort, just a hint of rumbly in the tumbly, that lasts for 7 straight months.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Hope you guys had a fine day of collecting as much free food as possible

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
they say that in the navy the women are mighty fine

they look like phyllis diller and walk like frankenstien

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Hope you guys had a fine day of collecting as much free food as possible

I spent most of the day scraping up haze grey paint. I haven't been in for a year and a half.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Spent my veteran's day laughing because a guy I knew in one of the squadrons got on poo poo My LPO Said. Also ate at a sweet restaurant in Fresno, Wassabi Off The Hook. The AM and AT that I went with said it was like being in Japan again.

Month 4 is coming up on waiting for my BAH request that's "the next one up". Guess it's time to start bombing them with requests on updates and figuring out what's keeping it from going to the base admin.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Russia apparently is sending some ships down to Australian waters, in order to express their butthurt about the ruble crashing another 4 points as the G20-without-Russia convenes.

It got the Australian Navy all up in a tizzy. 6 ships coming out from Vladivostok oh noooooo...

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

Russia apparently is sending some ships down to Australian waters, in order to express their butthurt about the ruble crashing another 4 points as the G20-without-Russia convenes.

It got the Australian Navy all up in a tizzy. 6 ships coming out from Vladivostok oh noooooo...

One of the ships is apparently an ocean-going tug. I am an ignorant civilian with absolutely no military/naval knowledge but does that mean what I think it means, namely that they have very little confidence in their ships to actually get from point a to point b? Or is that just standard practice?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Hauldren Collider posted:

One of the ships is apparently an ocean-going tug. I am an ignorant civilian with absolutely no military/naval knowledge but does that mean what I think it means, namely that they have very little confidence in their ships to actually get from point a to point b? Or is that just standard practice?

Ocean going tugs can tow underwater sensors. This can be important depending on what you're looking for.

Edit: More specifically, ships that are built to tow underwater sensors are sometimes classified as ocean going tugs.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Angry Fish posted:

The cruiser they're sending is bigger than anything in the australian fleet.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

westyx posted:

The cruiser they're sending is bigger than anything in the australian fleet.

It's a good bet they have not been alone since leaving vlad.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Naval dick waving amuses me. Oh no they are going to float around menacingly. In international waters. We need to go float menacingly back!

Who cares. Don't waste gas or personnel driving another ship out there. Let them float wasting theirs.

Edit: like every time a group of Russian ships goes out there is a tug. Makes me lol a bit

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Laranzu posted:

Naval dick waving amuses me. Oh no they are going to float around menacingly. In international waters. We need to go float menacingly back!

Who cares. Don't waste gas or personnel driving another ship out there. Let them float wasting theirs.

Edit: like every time a group of Russian ships goes out there is a tug. Makes me lol a bit

As MML pointed out, that tug is probably loaded with sensors.

I got to work with the Russians some years ago during RIMPAC (their first) in which they brought an old destroyer, an oiler, and a tug. We had very strict rules in how we handled them.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Welp, so much for fun port visits in Turkey.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Boon posted:

As MML pointed out, that tug is probably loaded with sensors.

I got to work with the Russians some years ago during RIMPAC (their first) in which they brought an old destroyer, an oiler, and a tug. We had very strict rules in how we handled them.

Did it require you guys drinking vodka with them as the communist anthem played shipwide, playing Russian roulette for shots?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

vulturesrow posted:

Sack Instanbul and all is forgiven.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

The Krylov could have a towed array, otherwise it doesn't seem to have a huge amount of antennas like most Intel ships.

Still all the more reason to not send any ships out there to be eavesdropped on.

Sea story time!

We were out and our CO invited the Commodore of a Chinese task group over for dinner. They did some dry runs with their helo in preparation to transfer him then dropped back a few miles.

They pulled back up alongside later to do the actual transfer with their towed array streaming.

After the passenger transfer was over, we claimed some bullshit reason to increase speed for safety reasons and effectively kidnapped their Commodore until they could roll up their array and catch up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Looks like you'll have to find another way into that Turkish prison.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pandasmores posted:

Did it require you guys drinking vodka with them as the communist anthem played shipwide, playing Russian roulette for shots?

Maybe...

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 13, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Laranzu posted:

The Krylov could have a towed array, otherwise it doesn't seem to have a huge amount of antennas like most Intel ships.

Still all the more reason to not send any ships out there to be eavesdropped on.

Sea story time!

We were out and our CO invited the Commodore of a Chinese task group over for dinner. They did some dry runs with their helo in preparation to transfer him then dropped back a few miles.

They pulled back up alongside later to do the actual transfer with their towed array streaming.

After the passenger transfer was over, we claimed some bullshit reason to increase speed for safety reasons and effectively kidnapped their Commodore until they could roll up their array and catch up.

Holy gently caress that is ballsy as hell.

Not that it's hard to track or ID a skimmer, at least with anything I ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Laranzu posted:

Sea story time!

Can whatever you just said be broken down into terms someone who's never been on a ship could understand? I googled array and all I see is some crap about sonar detection for subs and poo poo.

• Locked thread