Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I really thought it was cool how I was asked no less than 15 times if I smoked pot in boot camp, and every time I said no they tried to give me poo poo about it "its ok man you can come clean!".

i've never done any drugs in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I started ROTC this ancient Marine colonel was the one asking and he just kept acting angrier and angrier each time he asked and I denied it. He also started out asking how many times rather than if, I wonder if anyone was dumb enough to get caught by that obvious trick.

Oh ya they would try that too. I remember one guy who looked over my paperwork (I think it was an HM psych dude) which said I had not done drugs in it and just straight up asked how many times not "if I had", during one of the weird evals they did for sub dudes. The dude tried over and over to bait me into poo poo with that and other things like crimes ect.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

theAcidQueen posted:

Get hosed, Navy Medicine.

You force me to hobble on a sprained ankle for 2 WEEKS while you pretend that i'm limping all over the ship for no goddamn reason, then wait until i'm brought back from the emergency room on crutches before you ask me

"Well, you can't be on crutches forever, when are you coming back"?

I'm done.

I literally hope I fail this PRT, AND the next one, and finally get my discharge papers. There has to be life beyond the Navy, there has to be.

Go see your doc every day at sick call until you get treatment. Complain to your LPO & chief that you are not being taken care of. If that does not work talk to your division/department head.

In short keep escalating this and document it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
they say that in the navy the women are mighty fine

they look like phyllis diller and walk like frankenstien

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

westyx posted:

The cruiser they're sending is bigger than anything in the australian fleet.

It's a good bet they have not been alone since leaving vlad.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Laranzu posted:

The Krylov could have a towed array, otherwise it doesn't seem to have a huge amount of antennas like most Intel ships.

Still all the more reason to not send any ships out there to be eavesdropped on.

Sea story time!

We were out and our CO invited the Commodore of a Chinese task group over for dinner. They did some dry runs with their helo in preparation to transfer him then dropped back a few miles.

They pulled back up alongside later to do the actual transfer with their towed array streaming.

After the passenger transfer was over, we claimed some bullshit reason to increase speed for safety reasons and effectively kidnapped their Commodore until they could roll up their array and catch up.

Holy gently caress that is ballsy as hell.

Not that it's hard to track or ID a skimmer, at least with anything I ever used.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well I bet one thing they got for sure was a good SPL for 60hz. :lol:

60hz is the freq that US power runs at, 50hz is what most of the rest of the world uses

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ManMythLegend posted:

Speed isn't generally restricted just because an array is out*. The speed limitation comes in because sonar performance is significantly degraded at higher speeds due to higher background noise.

Laranzu's boat speeding up was not becuase the chinese ship couldn't catch up with the array, it was because whatever data they collected in the process would be garbage.

* For surface ships at least. Not 100% sure on some of the sub arrays.

Laranzu posted:

The More you Know! I always thought it was for line/winch stress reasons. Either way they didn't want to catch up.

All arrays are designed to have zero problems going up to flank speed. It would be really dumb not to, who knows when you need to make high speed evasive maneuvers? The quality of what you can hear however is full on poo poo due to how loud the water is rushing over the array + own ship noise.

Depth isn't all that big of an issue, thermoclines 'help/hurt' but are nothing magical like they show in the movies. In fact those same thermoclines can help you hear really god drat far away due to convergence zones.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I think sonar owns bones and is under appreciated in the surface fleet but generally STGs are retarded and useless. This doesn't help that officers and non sonar guys don't understand the concept that it takes time for sound to travel or how range predictions are.... predictions.

When I was doing that poo poo (SS not STG) I could get a 10 second range that would be within 500 yards or so using a simple formula, about 90% of the time. Officers on my boat generally had a decent grasp of how sonar worked, but sometimes they would go nuts over random poo poo (like boing fish) if they were JOs standing OOD.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Before an exercise we'd drop an XBT and then run predictions and it would say we'd have a CZ out to 70kyds. So then the TAO in combat would get mad about us not seeing contacts at that range.

Did you ever try to explain to them how the stars must properly align for a cz (let alone a 2x or 3x cz) to work out?

We found the Nimitz while doing an exercise against them on a 3x cz. It was an incredible demonstration on how when that poo poo works it's awesome.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
STGs are the retarded cousins of STSs.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Figures its nukes loving up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

justice4trayvawn posted:

It is 100% accurate that people lie about sit up and push up scores at boot camp, however as I remember the run wasn't cheatable due to ankle bracelet computer magic.

I don't know of any cheating when I went through, then again after all the stuff we did it was not exactly difficult in any way to do the required numbers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Weird. All the companies in my cycle did the run in formation. It was nearly impossible to not make it in the time allowed.

50 pushups 60 situps 1 1/2 miles in 11 1/2 minutes. It was a breeze by the time we were actually tested on it. Then again we got beat nearly daily.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Yoo git dat tree finah poi???

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

buttplug posted:

Because it's true, but I didn't think the specifics belonged on this form.

edit now that I've googled it: When I was getting my SWO pin I was on one of like 5 ships in the Navy that had this: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/mfta-the-us-navys-new-towed-array-for-naval-detection-04956/ and it was in CO's standing orders never to go above 15kts with the array out because "you could rupture it" because the thing is basically a giant rubber condom filled with magic liquid and some other fancy poo poo. I only remembered that because I literally had the standing orders memorized verbatim at one point. *shrugs*

A towed array with loving active sonar?

loving skimmers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Boon posted:

He's a submariner and his only guidance was, "N3 with a touch of humor"

Perhaps I should have just made the coin submarine (penis) shaped with N3 bold across it.

Make it a submarine in the shape of a squid, penis shape without the obvious penis.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Respectfully Request an end to this bullshit.

Yours,
STS2(SS) ded
USS Los Ustafish, SSN gofuckyourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
GBS needs forums cancer.

• Locked thread