Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Haven't read a football book in ages, but The Damned United may be something to look into. Not Premier League and is fictionalised to an extent, but a great book.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Ball is round is the best football phrase ever.

They should call it roundball

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Der Shovel posted:

Talk is that RVP has a £10 million loyalty clause in his contract, which he will receive if he sees out his contract at United. Considering his form since ... well, since that game against Villa when United won title number 20, really, does anyone see any chance of that happening?

Who'd be willing to bite if United were interested in offloading him?

He's not been as bad as people say imo. I think he's getting unwarranted stick when he's not getting service.

For people who watched the United match on tele on saturday, was I going mad or did RVP start in a deeper number 10 role before going upfront when di maria went off

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Big Taff Man posted:

He's not been as bad as people say imo. I think he's getting unwarranted stick when he's not getting service.

For people who watched the United match on tele on saturday, was I going mad or did RVP start in a deeper number 10 role before going upfront when di maria went off

Please dont use the service argument. You're sounding like an american re jozy.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The Big Taff Man posted:

quote:

Van Gaal said: "I am very pleased that Robin scored and that he had a big influence on this game. He scored three goals on the training ground so I had a good feeling for him.
"In the beginning he played at number 10, until I was forced to put him again in the striker's position because of Angel Di Maria's injury (after 13 minutes).
"I think he played better in the striker's position than he did at number 10, where you have to pass more than he did.
"A striker always needs a goal and I am very happy for him that he scored but I am sure he can play better than he did."

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Jose posted:

Balotelli is being investigated by the FA for putting this on instagram lol

He's apologised.

Mario Balotelli posted:

Not all Mexicans have moustache, not all black people jump high and not all Jewish people love money.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

loving whoscored is getting published on the guardian now as part of the "guardian sport network" jesus christ

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

serious gaylord posted:

Please dont use the service argument. You're sounding like an american re jozy.

lol

I thought that was part of the plan Saturday tbh, drop him deeper get him more a feel for the ball and let the rest come, rather than have him not get a sniff all game.

Ta, I thought so. seemed the plan was to push Di Maria up more as well but couldnt really tell

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

The Big Taff Man posted:

I thought that was part of the plan Saturday tbh, drop him deeper get him more a feel for the ball and let the rest come, rather than have him not get a sniff all game.

sounds like you had a nice night but what about the football match

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
extreme lol

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

loving whoscored is getting published on the guardian now as part of the "guardian sport network" jesus christ
plenty of papers have been looking for sports data journalists lately. Didn't someone publish dzsibot guy even

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

Brutal

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

yikes

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Chris de Sperg posted:

plenty of papers have been looking for sports data journalists lately. Didn't someone publish dzsibot guy even
yeah but that was the washington post which is much more trash than the guardian and to be fair even dbzsibot is atleast based off real information. Assigning players an arbitrary rating is hardly "data journalism" (Correct me if i'm wrong, i dont spend much time on whoscored)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

yeah but that was the washington post which is much more trash than the guardian and to be fair even dbzsibot is atleast based off real information. Assigning players an arbitrary rating is hardly "data journalism" (Correct me if i'm wrong, i dont spend much time on whoscored)

http://www.whoscored.com/aboutus

whoscored posted:

Ratings**

Player ratings are based on each event recorded in the game calculated live automatically using our own algorithms, which comprise of over 200 raw statistics. All events are valued based on a researched perception of the effect on the outcome of the match. Positive events are valued against negative events.

For whatever that's worth. 200 raw statistics.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

whoscored records stuff like tackles, clearances, crosses, key passes, etc, which they then combine through proprietary means into a completely fantastical 'overall rating' that mostly seems to serve to fellate random centre-backs (exhibit a) and produce nice, neat, team of the week graphics. while these are as stupid as any, the fact that they actually do record things while also producing those stupid ratings brings said ratings from "oh look the daily star's man at the england game thinks some things" to "well there's science behind them so they can't be complete bullshit".

by partnering them, the guardian get their TEAM OF THE WEEK clickbait (which is always nice) with enough sensible-seeming numbersy stuff in the body of the articles to make people think "yes, this is the content i have come to expect, of The Guardian, the Thinking Man's Sports Paper. garrincha"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gerrard: - "Theres nothing to say about the contract issue."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Then why is it an issue Steven??????????

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

Hahah

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

serious gaylord posted:

He's off to Chelsea to enjoy their bench and a winners medal

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Some desperately unfunny scorelines this past week, really hope Southampton or Sunderland win 5-0

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Antares posted:

Some desperately unfunny scorelines this past week, really hope Southampton or Sunderland win 5-0

Yeah, but only Southampton and not Sunderland

Edit: Also it's December already, what gives?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

*bangs fists on table* December thread! December thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Somebody posted one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685468

• Locked thread