Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
In the near future, corporate networks reach out to the stars. Electrons and light flow throughout the universe. The advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out neckbeards and ingrown Internet forum groups.

So yeah I hope I'm not the only one who's been fapping to I mean following Ghost in the Shell since I was a kid. GITS 1.0 (abbreviated for punkgeek cred) was my first introduction to boobies within a cartoon context, and while Akira may have gotten the ball rolling in terms of popularizing ~Oriental animation~, I like to think that the GITS franchise did it with a lot more style. I mean, come on, hot half-naked ninja cyborg Asian soldier hacker chick. How can you beat that?

Also it had a pretty cool opening sequence with HAUNTING ETHNIC-SOUNDING MUSIC and said hot ninja cyborg Asian soldier hacker chick being assembled like a Hyundai Genesis Coupe off the assembly line floor, only she's naked. I was like 14. That's just unfair. The opening was so good it made you completely forget the rest of the movie was a glacially paced and bewilderingly plotted bore with entirely too much soliloquy at completely random points. The only thing worth watching after the first five minutes was a pretty sweet grudge match between the chick (who would later go on to become my waifu) and a tank at the end.

Twenty years later and it's spawned a Kardashian-like family which includes GITS 2.0: Innocence, which didn't really have much to do with innocence at all that I could see, GITS:SAC, a series which took out (most of) the boring parts of the movies and kept the good parts (Motoko, guns, action, good music and pretty pictures), GITS:SAC:SSS, a poster child for colon regulation in media titles, and a bunch of forgettable manga. And oh yeah, there's GITS:Arise, where they made Motoko moe or some poo poo. No idea how that turned out.

Anyhow, it's 2008, and rumors of a live-action GITS adaptation have been floating around as long as I've had pubes. It looks like I'll have to die without ever seeing my Motoko waifu kick rear end on the silver screen. Only along comes Spielberg and Dreamworks and they buy the rights to the movie! I am stoked. I mean, this was the dude who made Jurassic Park AND Schindler's list. What could possibly go wrong?

Cue last month's announcement that Scarlett Johansson was approached to play Motoko Kusanagi, to the tune of 10 million bux.

Now don't get me wrong, Scarlett (I can call her Scarlett because we dated in high school) is all sorts of awesome. She's sexy, she's spunky, she's knows Kung Fu and Lucy was basically an extended audition and rehearsal for the role. She can do stone-cold killer, drill sergeant nasty, and wounded vulnerability all at once, just in case they decide to cover the two seconds in Motoko's lifetime that she actually lets her guard down. She's got a deep voice, and if you squint a little and maybe use a purple marker they do look alike.

But goddammit people, Motoko's Japanese. Shyamalan whitewashed Ang and look how that turned out. I mean, I'm happy we might get a GITS movie at all, and it's great that names like Spielberg and Johansson's are being tossed around, especially with everything she brings to the role. But I'm fairly sure the Motoko I've been fapping to I mean following for the past two decades had chinky eyes, ate sushi, drank sake and liked tentacles. Speaking as an Asian, you guys already got Hiroshima and Nagasaki. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

chinky eyes

Ummmmmm

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

source your quotes

all of them

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they can cut out all the bullshit nudity and Kusanagi's stupid costume, Ghost in the Shell could work very well as a live action movie(*). GITS has always been like if someone took a perfectly average cyperpunk novel and inserted gratuitous fanservice. It actually might work even better as a US procedural TV show, but the effects would probably be too expensive.

*: I'm not sure if the OP was actually trying to make this point ironically?

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 1, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
While she is attractive, and capable of action scenes to some degree, and not a terrible actress, the Black Widow strikes me as a poor choice for the Major. Something about her lacks authority not to mention she's never exhibited the kind of dippy navel gazing existential philosophical curiosity that is almost 100% guaranteed to be anything that says Ghost In the Shell on it (or it's missing the point)

or maybe she's a better actress than I'm aware of how the hell would I know

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

OnimaruXLR posted:

Something about her lacks authority

It's because she's probably too short and certainly doesn't have the muscle mass.

You can *sorta* get away with this with choreography with Black Widow (it still bugged me).

Major Motoko Kusanagi however is a stone cold powerhouse. She normally handles things with finesse and hacking. However, piss her off and she outright crushes things with power. She can hold a BFG-10000, blow holes in a tank, and barely flinches from the recoil.

However, if you are going cast someone short, she better look like this:

Misty Copeland from the American Ballet Theatre
http://i.imgur.com/iRfHT1U.jpg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

buzmeg posted:

It's because she's probably too short and certainly doesn't have the muscle mass.

You can *sorta* get away with this with choreography with Black Widow (it still bugged me).

Major Motoko Kusanagi however is a stone cold powerhouse. She normally handles things with finesse and hacking. However, piss her off and she outright crushes things with power. She can hold a BFG-10000, blow holes in a tank, and barely flinches from the recoil.

However, if you are going cast someone short, she better look like this:

she is a robot and doesn't really need muscle mass to rip open poo poo

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I wouldn't say she was great in it but Scarlett Johansson did play a lead role in what's probably the best sci-fi movie ever made.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Mercrom posted:

I wouldn't say she was great in it but Scarlett Johansson did play a lead role in what's probably the best sci-fi movie ever made.

Yes Lost in Translation was a great movie

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Mercrom posted:

Oh, was she the blonde in Blade Runner?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mercrom posted:

That one where she plays an alien loving guys in a van in Scotland?

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Mercrom posted:

A neither the writer nor the producer of said movie are involved in this one.

And, *how* far back to do we have to go until we find an actively *good* movie that Spielberg is associated with?

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Sakurazuka posted:

she is a robot and doesn't really need muscle mass to rip open poo poo

Um, mass *does* matter in the Masamune-verse because the adversaries are often other robots. In addition, the major weighs something like several hundred pounds and crushes things when she walks/runs/jumps if she doesn't think about it.

Now, you probably *could* convey this with excellent cinematography and storytelling. But why do this when you can just cast a physically more imposing actor. It's not like they are in short supply.

Think of some of the iconic badass female roles and their actresses: Brigitte Nielsen, Uma Thurman, Sigorney Weaver, Carrie-Ann Moss, etc. All of them are *tall* for women.

Michelle Yeoh sticks out for not being overly tall but being amazingly badass. However, even she is a couple inches higher than the Western female average height which makes her significantly taller than an Asian average female.

I had this same problem with the whole Hunger Games thing. I'm fine until I see the character actually nock an arrow and then I just laugh or cringe. Take a look at the female archers in the Olympics and their muscle size. Pulling 30 pounds over and over and over and stabilizing it in effectively labor camp-type conditions as exists in the Hunger Games is going to add some serious muscle that the main character just doesn't have.

The character that Scarlett Johannson would be excellent for would be Revy from Black Lagoon. Guns and acrobatics with a side of sociopath. The big problem would be finding a corresponding actress for for Eda who wouldn't get blown off the screen.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My only requirement for a GitS movie is that Batou be Steven Seagal.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

My only requirement for a GitS movie is that Batou be Steven Seagal.

I'm cool with this as long as Seagal actually rips out his eyes for the part.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Val Kilmer could do a great Batou.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mercrom posted:

If you mean Under the Skin then I might actually agree with you for once, I'd dial it back to the past 5 years or so though.

and god loving drat it there's such a glut of GitS stuff that I can't find a decent picture, but the Major isn't particularly bulky in the original manga. I don't think the weight thing really comes up there either.

She's tiny in ARISE

I could see it working I guess, but i'm old and cynical so I'll believe this gets made only after it actually gets made. Johansson or no.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

buzmeg posted:

Um, mass *does* matter in the Masamune-verse because the adversaries are often other robots. In addition, the major weighs something like several hundred pounds and crushes things when she walks/runs/jumps if she doesn't think about it.

Now, you probably *could* convey this with excellent cinematography and storytelling. But why do this when you can just cast a physically more imposing actor. It's not like they are in short supply.

Think of some of the iconic badass female roles and their actresses: Brigitte Nielsen, Uma Thurman, Sigorney Weaver, Carrie-Ann Moss, etc. All of them are *tall* for women.

Michelle Yeoh sticks out for not being overly tall but being amazingly badass. However, even she is a couple inches higher than the Western female average height which makes her significantly taller than an Asian average female.

I had this same problem with the whole Hunger Games thing. I'm fine until I see the character actually nock an arrow and then I just laugh or cringe. Take a look at the female archers in the Olympics and their muscle size. Pulling 30 pounds over and over and over and stabilizing it in effectively labor camp-type conditions as exists in the Hunger Games is going to add some serious muscle that the main character just doesn't have.

The character that Scarlett Johannson would be excellent for would be Revy from Black Lagoon. Guns and acrobatics with a side of sociopath. The big problem would be finding a corresponding actress for for Eda who wouldn't get blown off the screen.

Oh my god you autistic motherfucker who gives half a poo poo if *clears throat* statistically speaking these FEMALES would be unable to perform farrrts. It's a movie about loving robots I feel like it can get away with being a tad unrealistic. Stop freaking out about meaningless bullshit. gently caress.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

a kitten posted:

If you mean Under the Skin then I might actually agree with you for once, I'd dial it back to the past 5 years or so though.
Thanks, I read about that movie but forgot about it.

I was talking about Her by the way, a movie I dreaded to watch after seeing the trailer, but which managed to surprise the hell out of me. Spike Jonze understands the point of sci-fi, and really knows how to write.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ha, I love Spike Jonez and actually forgot about wanting to see Her so now we're even. :v:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
For all of the people saying this is white washing.... Okay fine, which competent Asian actress would you have play Motoko?

Michelle Yeoh.... Too old. Would definitely pull off the badass part though.

Zhang Ziyi.... Delicate flower. Not likely to even speak English competently

Margaret Cho? Grasping at straws.

Lucy Liu? Okay maybe but she's getting up there.

Grace Park? Though I guess she's not exactly a great actress.

Gong Li? I can't see her in anything that's not something depressing about China.

Who the gently caress could they even cast? At least we know ScarJo can pull off action hero and not look dumb doing it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rinko Kikuchi maybe? That's assuming it would even be set in Japan, which is pretty doubtful; really that's just how adaptations work in Hollywood. There's not much inherently Japanese about the setting anyway.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The fact that you have trouble coming up with many names is linked to why people get upset when roles get whitewashed. Minority actors have trouble breaking into the industry. It's why almost all your examples got their start elsewhere before doing stuff in America.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Insane Totoro posted:

For all of the people saying this is white washing.... Okay fine, which competent Asian actress would you have play Motoko?

Gong Li? I can't see her in anything that's not something depressing about China.

Who the gently caress could they even cast? At least we know ScarJo can pull off action hero and not look dumb doing it.

Harold from Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Insane Totoro posted:

The fact that that's basically the entirety of the list is exactly why whitewashing's a problem dingus.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Fan Bingbing, maybe? She was Blink in the recent X-Men movie.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

mystes posted:

If they can cut out all the bullshit nudity and Kusanagi's stupid costume, Ghost in the Shell could work very well as a live action movie(*)

*: I'm not sure if the OP was actually trying to make this point ironically?

I, uh, didn't actually have a point, other than "I like talking about Ghost in the Shell and Motoko". I wrote the OP last night with more than a few beers in my system and a fiery sense of indignity. It's now the morning after and all I have is lingering shame.

buzmeg posted:

Oh hey. She looks like she could take on a SWAT team while prancing around on her tippytoes. Perfect Motoko material!

Mercrom posted:

Yeah she was great as Leeloo. Wait, that was Milla Jovovich. Did you just imply that something other than the Fifth Element could be the best sci-fi movie ever?

Insane Totoro posted:

Son I am disappoint. The role obviously belongs to Maggie Q, the NAKED WEAPON

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Insane Totoro posted:

Just because you know six Asian actresses doesn't mean there are only six Asian actresses. I'm not even sure why Margaret Cho is on there, she's a standup comedian/weirdo artist. That'd be like floating Maria Bamford as possible casting for Samus Aran.

Although to be honest, with the Major, you could have her change bodies throughout the course of the movie, if you felt like it. In fact, poo poo like that would be important, because otherwise her being a "cyborg" would just be an excuse for why she could do cool flips and poo poo. Hell if you make her "original" identity ambiguous and poo poo it helps feed into all the dumb philosophy questions on top of making her seem like a mysterious badass.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
As long as there's the virtual reality lesbian group sex scene from the manga, I'm so game.

Also Val Kilmer for Batou.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

floating Maria Bamford as possible casting for Samus Aran.

Thanks, you just made me really sad about a movie that will never exist

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not even sure a Ghost in the Shell movie would work. I mean have you seen the original GitS movie lately? It has weird pacing and just kind of throws you into the world expecting you to pick everything up as you go along. Innocence was better, although I think I say that more due to the animation and less because of how good the actual plot was. Like pretend you know nothing about GitS and try to watch them again. What's Ghost Dubbing? What's the world like? Why does that one dude have hosed up eyes?

SAC worked way better because it took the time to explain the world and everyone's history. How they will accomplish this in a live action film, I have no idea.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The thing that bothered me the most in Innocence was that the plot was pretty much ripped from the original manga's chapter 6 and expanded to movie length. Still, watching Batou and Togusa buddying it up was cool.

Edit: one way to make the live action movie maybe work a bit better would be to take a look at the original manga and see how to adapt (parts of) that, rather than just stare at the movie which was already an adaptation of the manga.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 2, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SSNeoman posted:

I mean have you seen the original GitS movie lately? It has weird pacing and just kind of throws you into the world expecting you to pick everything up as you go along.

This is a good thing about the film because I like when writers don't treat me like an idiot. Innocence looked nice but was complete poo poo in every other respect.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's so weird that the manga has parts of it scattered throughout the original film and Innocence, SAC, and ARISE. I doubt a straight adaptation of it would work as a single movie (animated or no) anyway.

Then the generally terrible followup manga Man Machine Interface has pieces of it that made it into SAC as well, since they're pretty much the only interesting things from it, that's a good thing.

Sakurazuka posted:

This is a good thing about the film because I like when writers don't treat me like an idiot.

Also this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I'm not even sure a Ghost in the Shell movie would work. I mean have you seen the original GitS movie lately? It has weird pacing and just kind of throws you into the world expecting you to pick everything up as you go along. Innocence was better, although I think I say that more due to the animation and less because of how good the actual plot was. Like pretend you know nothing about GitS and try to watch them again. What's Ghost Dubbing? What's the world like? Why does that one dude have hosed up eyes?

SAC worked way better because it took the time to explain the world and everyone's history. How they will accomplish this in a live action film, I have no idea.

A straight adaptation would not work. But if adapted the concept, the themes, the important elements, and then molded the rest to fit a different audience, it could work really well. Lets hope whoever's adapting the screenplay knows what he/she is doing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Innocence was...meh. Movie was way too indulgent in "WHOA LOOK AT THIS" moments. It's a good looking film, sure, but holy moly it's pretentious as all get out.

And anime basset hound needs to just not exist.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

And anime basset hound needs to just not exist.

You monster.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014
I think Gina Carano would make a good Motoko. She was pretty decent as 'Danica the killer cyborg' on that one episode of Almost Human.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Joachim1167 posted:

I think Gina Carano would make a good Motoko. She was pretty decent as 'Danica the killer cyborg' on that one episode of Almost Human.

drat, son. She kinda butch even for Motoko. Copeland at least does ballet!

She's definitely got the badass part of the persona down though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Joining the Val Kilmer for Batou bandwagon, that poo poo would be amazing.

Who voices the Tachikomas?

• Locked thread