Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C5nE4UqqLk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Wasn't Dana White Liddell's manager?

Dana managed Chuck and Tito before the Fertittas bought the UFC; as soon as they did he stopped managing fighters because it was a conflict of interest.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Bisping is a pretty good fighter, but being a thin-skinned whiny manchild who can dish it out but not take it is never cool.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Huh, suddenly everyone dislikes Ian McCall.

"suddenly"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

i like fighters with personalities

So does Atom

You can like fighters with "personalities" without liking fighters with lovely personalities, I promise

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

gently caress off

If getting mad and unintelligible is your default response when people point out dumb things you post, you probably won't last long in these threads.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Count Roland posted:

I actually liked Rory when he was still The Waterboy, as that name shows character and a sense of humour.

Well, that is a pretty good argument against him using it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Hmm. How can I be less stupid please Greggy?

Mods, note I am merely responding to uncalled for abuse. Not instigating a thing.
Edit: also note I'd let it go, the discussion moved on until two new pieces of abuse were thrown my way.

You've posted a lot of stupid poo poo, and people have responded by pointing out you've said a lot of stupid poo poo, and you've responded like an angry infant. This pattern is likely to repeat itself. Either ignore it, or respond with something funny instead of "gently caress off" or angry gibberish, because if I open a page of a thread and see a couple of funny burns from other posters and a bunch of shitposts from you, you're the one getting probated. I'm not your dad (probably) and I don't care who started it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rogan's openly said that if he had to choose between announcing UFC and his standup tours he'd pick the standup tours. He's missed one or two shows this year because they conflicted with his standup; it's likely he just has no interest in trying to work around the schedule of a regular Fox gig.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chexoid posted:

~You'll be given, title shots

:lol:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

fatherdog insists there has but can't think of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Fighter_5#The_Ultimate_Fighter_5_Finale

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

canoshiz posted:

Featuring the original Gray Maynarding.

I guess this event set the record for most finishes, though, since the TUF5 finale was only 9 fights.

The original gray maynarding was actually on UFC 43.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tell us more

Jesus, shut the gently caress up.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

why not. it might make it good by association.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

fatherdog please make this my av

Sure thing

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MrSmokes posted:

The moment from Machida/Weidman that stood out the most to me was at the very end, after Machida attacked with one last flurry to try to finish Weidman off, and Weidman responded by beckoning him in a "that's all you got?" way. Weidman just gives no fucks. What a moment to cap off that fight. (lovely gif but I could not find another)

Machida is great but honestly this was one of the greatest moments.

Bundt Cake posted:

Doerksen was the best fighter with a bad chin. In fact I think he did one of his classic give it away due to bad chin fights against Dollaway.

Nick Thompson was like that too

Doerkson was beating the living poo poo out of Dolloway right up until the point he got punched to death.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Sphinxster posted:

It also said it was a newsflash, implying that someone might actually care.

Randy's ears probably perked up a bit.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

is dennis bermudez becoming less of a loving idiot? is punching him making him smart? on tuf he was diego levels of dangerous retard, now he's.... not as dumb and heaps better.

Just about everyone is going to come off better when they're confident, prepared, and hanging out with people they like and are comfortable with rather than stuck in a house for six weeks with dudes they're probably going to fight.

Also,

LobsterMobster posted:

I want to see that #mynuts shirt Werdum was talking about

I probably wouldn't buy one, but I'd be happy just to know that professionals created such a thing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I probably wouldn't buy one, but I'd be happy just to know that professionals created such a thing.

On the other hand I have showed up to coach children at grappling tournaments while wearing a YAMMA tshirt, so I really can't rule out any type of sartorial stupidity on my part.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In the past, the deal was always they'd do an interim as long as the champ had a scheduled date for his return, but if there was no time frame for return they'd be stripped. I believe the eventual Dominic Cruz stripping was the result of them deciding to switch to having a specified time frame instead, so this is probably just the second example of that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

I wonder what's up with October having 2 events in the first weekend and then nothing until November 7th. Maybe the TBD is so they can fit it in the middle of the month. But yeah I'm happy for no more doubleheaders, at least until the talent catches up to it.

Sometimes it's just about which venues are available when.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Conversely, you could root for Anderson and hope that it would lead to Nick murdering Bisping.

I would rather see Nick/Bisping than either of them fight anyone else probably

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

jeremybotter posted:

Duke Roufus bars @john_diedrich from @Showtimepettis media day in Milwaukee. He reported Munson story. Booted him right out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If I was running things in Milwaukee the cornermen would lose their licenses and the ref and doctor would not only lose their licenses but possibly get charged with reckless endangerment.

When you're in the ring/cage you are in the absolutely worst position to make rational, logical decisions you've likely ever been in your life. You depend on the referee, the doctor, and your corner to keep you safe when you can't do so, and every single one of them failed that poor kid.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

I forget the names of the people involved, but I know there was a boxing match in the '80s where an Asian guy died. I know that's the reason boxing titles are 12 rounds instead of 15, and I remember reading the ref involved eventually killed himself. Did he face legal or licensing trouble as a result of that bout as well?

You're thinking of Kim Duk Koo. I dunno what happened to the ref, though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Can any of you more knowledgable guys (Mewse, Fatherdog) offer any explanation for the "no big hit" aspect of it? The only thing I can think of is that he had brought a head injury into the ring with him - if that's the case (and if it can be established via witnesses to his having been KOd in training, or something) the liability for Cushman and Roufus gets on par with the doctor.

Accumulation of smaller punches can hurt as much or more than one big shot (such is the basis of Nick Diaz' striking game for example) and in fact there's some evidence that getting hit a ton of times at mid-hurt is actually much worse for you than getting knocked out with one gigantic shot.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

They'd run out of opponents for the man. His win streak had gone so long they didn't even bother counting them anymore. They had him fighting heavyweights. They had him fighting women. There was that one time on Fight Night where he went four and a half rounds against two german shepards. Finally, they made the only match they had left. Pay per view, for all the beans, Neil Magny versus Neil Magny.

He came out wearing every belt he'd ever won and a few that he made himself, then he went backstage, then he came back out again. Before a stunned international audience and a crowd in the tens of thousands, Neil threw himself against the cage, worked himself in the corner, landed combo after combo against his jaw before catching himself in a takedown. You could tell he'd studied all his moves, knew every one of his weaknesses. When he got that armbar and forced himself to submit less than two minutes in, you'd think the world was on fire. You could hear people screaming in houses down the block. Goddammit, I wept. I'm not ashamed to admit that. The only way Neil Magny could continue his winning streak was to end it.

And with that, finally, 2014 could come to an end.

I feel bad this post came right in the middle of discussion of one of our dumb sport's mercifully infrequent tragedies, because it is ace.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Why y'all postin' about the amateur murderboxing match now instead of when someone brought it up 3 days ago. It was bad then!

Because Roufus just barred the reporter who wrote about it from a Pettis media day, so it came up again

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Time is a flat octagon

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Zuffa's earnings being down isn't really that much of a big deal in the long term; we already knew this was a bad year earnings-wise because of all the cancellations. The interesting thing about that article is that 40% is a revised figured 10% higher than their previous projection, and the reason for the revision is Cain's injury. Cain being responsible for 10% of the UFC's weekly earnings is a bit of a surprise.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

It seems early to be basing that off of this weekends ppv buys.

That's what I think too, but

quote:

Zuffa’s EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) is expected to decline 40 percent, 10 percent higher than originally forecasted.

The report said the steeper decline is “primarily due to a change to a marquee fight card in the fourth quarter of 2014, a result of another fighter injury causing anticipated pay-per-view buys and event ticket prices to decline further

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I doubt Cain does 400k buys

His last four ppvs are 330k, 380k, 590k, and 560k. I don't think 400k is that unlikely.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Trast posted:

There is also the casual fans desire to see heavyweights duke it out over the lighter weights. "Heavyweight Champion of the World" is still something that holds a lot of glamour.

The lowest-selling UFC PPV Tim Sylvia headlined is higher than the highest-selling ppv Jose Aldo headlined. It's hard to overestimate the degree to which heavyweight is meaningful to the casual fan.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Did the UFC even crack 400k buys this year? Maybe the Weidman/Machida card did.

Weidman/Machida did 545k. Other'n that, the highest was Rousey/McCann at 350k.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That same ep also has a big long rear end Phil Baroni interview, it owns. He says after the PRIDE brawl where he stomped on Wandy, Coleman went to the back room and chewed out a bunch of Americans for not having his back and he was so convincing even Overeem rolled with their revenge crew hahahahhaa.

hahahahahha that is amazing. I can imagine Coleman yelling so loud that Overeem shrugs and wraps himself in an American flag before heading off

Seltzer posted:

Chael starts to say "Ariel was upset with me one time" then FRB hops in with an amazing lack of self-awareness and sputters out "But yea, who's he?". FRB comes off as a weaselly self important weirdo who is pretending to know a lot more than he does, which is not surprising given how he behaves on twitter.

FRB is a sad, sad person

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Vitor passed another blood and pee test

This is the most shocking news of the month

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Tito/Machida was exactly as close as Tito/Cote

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

CaffeineFree went on a pilgrimage to Mecca and became increasingly focused on what he believes to be an upcoming race war that will kick off through MMA. He notably used the "one drop" rule to claim Overeem for team not white, a move that proves extremely regrettable in retrospect. Caff then took the name "Huey P. Newerton" and began the "Blacker Panther Party". His current whereabouts are unknown

if he comes back I'm changing his nick to carmichael stokely

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Someone please explain how the guy with convincing wins over people like Donald Cerrone, Jim Miller, Nate Diaz, Clay Guida and a more than competitive fight with the current LW champion on his record is not as good as the previous generation.

Edit: I could've just left this at Jim Miller. Before Bendo, Miller was 20-2, and the two losses were Gray Maynard and Frankie Edgar. He was regularly mentioned as a perennial LW nightmare match up that no one wanted to fight.

I don't have strong opinions about this argument but fwiw Miller had mono and a kidney infection during this fight (all his other octagon losses being caused by secondhand marijuana smoke)

Also,

CommonShore posted:

Anderson Silva may knock guys unconscious, but Jon Fitch damages their self esteem, and that takes a long time to heal.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Gray would probably have beat Bendo at most points of their respective careers and might well still beat him now, although probably not since Benderson appears to be developing some punching power.

• Locked thread