Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What's up with p-bandai? It's been in maintenance for like four days now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

someone must have tried to buy the 2000$ alloy rx 78 and crashed the whole thing

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
so for cutting the nubs off, I saw a video that explains it can be done with an exacto knife or you could use sand paper instead. Which is the preferred method? I'm a bit nervous about using the knife and screwing up a part

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Best is a combination of both. Cut your piece off the runner with clippers. Then cut most of the nub off with your knife and then file down the rest. This avoids stressing the plastic.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah even with single-blade nippers like Godhand or DSPIAE you still want to cut away from the part itself to avoid stress marks then scrap and file the rest off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Willo567 posted:

so for cutting the nubs off, I saw a video that explains it can be done with an exacto knife or you could use sand paper instead. Which is the preferred method? I'm a bit nervous about using the knife and screwing up a part

You can totally ignore the knife and just sand if you're not confident with a knife or just prefer to do it that way. It'll be slower since there's more nub to sand away, but no risk of gouging your part if you apply too much pressure or your hand slips.
Nano glass files like the Raser or DSPIAE Siren take more material off and can speed this step up compared to using sandpaper.

e: any file like the ones linked below can work too, but nice thing about the super-fine-grit hobby ones is that you won't need to follow them up with high grit sandpaper to polish the surface afterwards

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 24, 2024

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I really like using a glass file. Specifically these cheap bezosmart glass nail files because the black one cuts fast, and the clear one leaves a smooth finish. I usually cut the parts with a single bladed nipper, then hit it with the clear file and follow up with 3000-5000 grit sanding stick to match the rest of the parts finish.

They need to be cleaned occasionally but rubbing a toothpick against the file and rinsing with water does the trick.

Also, since they come in an 8-pk I can stash extras all over to help keep my fingernails pretty.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I chew them off with my teeth

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pierson posted:

Yeah even with single-blade nippers like Godhand or DSPIAE you still want to cut away from the part itself to avoid stress marks then scrap and file the rest off.

I get my best results with my Godhand when I can get it perfectly flush with the part. That leaves me with minimal cleanup with a fine-grit glass file.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

I chew them off with my teeth

My cat does too. He has fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

monsterzero posted:

I really like using a glass file. Specifically these cheap bezosmart glass nail files because the black one cuts fast, and the clear one leaves a smooth finish. I usually cut the parts with a single bladed nipper, then hit it with the clear file and follow up with 3000-5000 grit sanding stick to match the rest of the parts finish.

They need to be cleaned occasionally but rubbing a toothpick against the file and rinsing with water does the trick.

Also, since they come in an 8-pk I can stash extras all over to help keep my fingernails pretty.

To clean the glass files, try rolling a blob of blutack or other equivalent on it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Willo567 posted:

To be fair to the knife, you can cause even more damage if you choose the wrong sandpaper. :v:

Either method requires a lot of practice to minimize damage though, so if you want better looking nubs, you may have to make some ugly ones first unfortunately.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it happens

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Haha is that part of a Freedom's wing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1783315982972539115?t=pQzWQ6nnfi9KzrO2vXkgUQ&s=19

ROBOT Spirits, I know, but fuuuuck that looks so good. I wonder if it will come with Coral effect parts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It does look good, I really wish they'd make a model kit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

pretty much all the major lines will tell you they got ya covered, but does that model not come with a paint guide on what they used?

Update: no.