Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

boom boom boom posted:

You're both terrible

Says the guy who links a webstore that's "SOLD OUT".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TaurusOxford posted:

Says the guy who links a webstore that's "SOLD OUT".

It's a used toy shop, inventory comes and goes. Unless you're in a hurry, checking there and Mandarake occasionally is better than paying ebay prices. And it's certainly better than resorting to a shady bootleg knock-off.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do the magazines with kits usually go up for preorder on hlj and such?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

do the magazines with kits usually go up for preorder on hlj and such?

Yeah. Hell, they're still trying to get rid of the Age-1 Razor parts

https://www.hlj.com/product/HBJMAG1210EX/Gun

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Not the honoo kit I was looking for but thanks anyway.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah. Hell, they're still trying to get rid of the Age-1 Razor parts

https://www.hlj.com/product/HBJMAG1210EX/Gun

good. with the Razor parts being so old i wasn't 100% sure, but looking again they had the Honoo and Lev parts recently. i think the Lev were even with the specific magazine I'm waiting for (Gundam ACE).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Late UC (F91/Xbone/V) mobile suits are the best mobile suits and I am forever plagued by the fact that we'll never get HGs or MGs for stuff like the Den'an Zon :negative:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I finished the MG Zaku II J 2.0. and holy poo poo is he awesome. He is way, way more flexible and solid than the HGs I've built and the old Johnny Ridden Zaku II 1.0 MG I built back in 2003. The engineering on him is genius, he's fun to build, and the whole kit comes together so well. Even the pipes aren't that much of a pain to actually make (denubbing them though :suicide:).

After building this, going back to HGs is going to be a little hard. There are a lot more HGs than there are MGs, but man the flexibility and solid engineering in the Zaku II J 2.0 makes the HGs I've built look downright unimpressive.

I haven't built the weapons yet, but he's so fun to pose that I don't really care to do so at the moment.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Going back to HGs after MGs and especially RGs is hard.

Then you notice the price difference.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's not that huge.

Unrelated: has there ever been an MG (or even HGUC) Nero? Because holy poo poo that's sexy:

It's both RD and P-Bandai exclusive, though. :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

True. Another issue is the kit diversity MGs have compared to HGs. The HGUC line alone has a lot more to offer compared to the MG series. Add the HG SEED, 00, AGE, and Build Fighters lines to the mix and you have kits for pretty much anything you want. As a grunt fan, HG has way more for me than the MG line does.

The MG line is best for getting high-quality models of suits you like, but nothing can beat the sheer amount of diversity the HG line has.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They really aren't kidding about it being a Giant Gatling Gun :orks101:. Apparently there's also an alternate handle for MG kits too.

I'm probably gonna buy at least two to mount on a Leopard Da Vinci for as much Dakka as I can muster.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So... you finish the whole kit, and prime the whole thing in one shot? Wouldn't that stick the joints, or I guess you just tape that up?

drat, this is a lot harder than I thought... I want to pick the right method :ohdear:

yep. I generally fiddle around with the poses that I want to do before I decide to prime it. I prime it when it's in that pose.

Light spraying of primer prevents prevents it from sticking the joints.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Unrelated: has there ever been an MG (or even HGUC) Nero? Because holy poo poo that's sexy:

Bandai has never kitted this one in any form, alas. I'm hoping that will change someday, but...

You get what you pay for.

I've bought a lot of HGs over the years, and there are still a lot I'd very much like to have, but I've grown tired of their limitations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Bandai has never kitted this one in any form, alas. I'm hoping that will change someday, but...

Yeah, fingers crossed. I'd honestly be willing to overlook my dislike of RD to get it but since it's a loving P-Bandai exclusive due out this month, the preorders closed in December and it's impossible to get. :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So speaking of MGs, I wanna get a bunch of OYW MGs. I've already got the 2.0 RX78 and 2.0 Zaku II. Are the 2.0 Gouf, Gelgoog and GM of comparable quality?

(Oh my god I just realized now I have an excuse to buy MG Ball)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 26, 2015

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
RD is actually pretty great overall, but the non-scale nature of the line messes with my 'tism and ffffuuuuck building a large collection at those prices.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

So speaking of MGs, I wanna get a bunch of OYW MGs. I've already got the 2.0 RX78 and 2.0 Zaku II. Are the 2.0 Gouf, Gelgoog and GM of comparable quality?

You forgot about the Zaku I.

As the resident Zaku I fan, I say gently caress you rear end in a top hat.

Actually, the HGUC one is better in nearly every way, so just get that and have him sit on top of your Zaku II 2.0's shoulders. That's still not going to stop me from getting MG Ral's Zaku I soonish because drat do the colors on that kit look nice. :v:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 26, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bimmi posted:

RD is actually pretty great overall, but the non-scale nature of the line messes with my 'tism and ffffuuuuck building a large collection at those prices.

The only RD I have is a Zaku II and it's okay, but I'm not a fan of the ultra-plasticky-toy look or the silly attachment hardpoints. I much prefer actual model kits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

2.0 gelgoog was a drat good kit.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Monaghan posted:

2.0 gelgoog was a drat good kit.

I'm seriously torn between getting a Gelgoog 2.0 and pre-ordering the RE/100 Dijeh. Both are really cool in their own special ways, but I really want to support the RE/100 line so it takes off.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
RD are vaguely 1/144 ish with some obvious exceptions. Kshatriya is a little smaller than it should be and like 3 times the price but it has a million effect parts and poo poo. Personally I love 'em, especially for things to mess with compared to kits, but Bandai own me. Some stuff also doesn't have kits and I'm a Super Robot Wars guy.

I just used the Tamiya panel lining pre watered enamel stuff and its good as hell, I'm awful at mixing things and can't deal with the mess so it's perfect for idiots like me. Hopefully it lasts as long as I hope. I have the black and either the grey or brown so I guess I need the third one, especially if it's the brown because that should be good on the Red Frame Astrays????

Get the RE! The Gelgoog will always exist but who knows with the RE line!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

EthanSteele posted:

RD are vaguely 1/144 ish with some obvious exceptions. Kshatriya is a little smaller than it should be and like 3 times the price but it has a million effect parts and poo poo. Personally I love 'em, especially for things to mess with compared to kits, but Bandai own me. Some stuff also doesn't have kits and I'm a Super Robot Wars guy.

I just used the Tamiya panel lining pre watered enamel stuff and its good as hell, I'm awful at mixing things and can't deal with the mess so it's perfect for idiots like me. Hopefully it lasts as long as I hope. I have the black and either the grey or brown so I guess I need the third one, especially if it's the brown because that should be good on the Red Frame Astrays????

Get the RE! The Gelgoog will always exist but who knows with the RE line!

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what's the difference between RE and MG?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

peeNamaste posted:

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what's the difference between RE and MG?

RE are HG-level detail, in 1/100, and it's a line meant for stuff that's so obscure it wouldn't get represented in other lines. Like the Nightingale and the Dijeh.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

EthanSteele posted:

Be careful with this stuff on bare plastic, the solvent is apparently quite aggressive and i've heard some horror stories.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

RE are HG-level detail, in 1/100, and it's a line meant for stuff that's so obscure it wouldn't get represented in other lines. Like the Nightingale and the Dijeh.

RE/100s are meant to have MG-level outer-detail, but lack the inner-frame to cut down on costs. The Nightingale didn't really show that off, but the GP04 and Dijeh have the MG-quality outer details the line promised.

Plus, it seems to unofficially be about featuring the best-of obscure suits, with things like the Nightingale, GP04, and Dijeh.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
RE/100 may have a good level of surface detail, but they definitely fall short of "MG minus the frame" and what's toylike at 1/144 scale becomes somewhat obnoxious at 1/100.

Really not too impressed with the line so far, I'm hoping they'll ease up on the corner-cutting as things progress.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

You don't need an excuse to buy an MG Ball ever. There are 3 kits everyone should own. MG Gundam X, MG Ball, and depending on who you ask, MG Double X, MG Gundam Mk-II, or a second Gundam X.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bimmi posted:

RE/100 may have a good level of surface detail, but they definitely fall short of "MG minus the frame" and what's toylike at 1/144 scale becomes somewhat obnoxious at 1/100.

Really not too impressed with the line so far, I'm hoping they'll ease up on the corner-cutting as things progress.

I like the RE/100 series because of the suits featured, not the gimmicks of the line. I love finally having a Nightingale period that isn't a resin or a bootleg and a modern Dijeh kit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bimmi posted:

Be careful with this stuff on bare plastic, the solvent is apparently quite aggressive and i've heard some horror stories.

drat really? Yowza. I'm doing it over 2 coats of the Humbrol gloss stuff which is basically future supposedly. This is all on my painting testbed kit of a poor GM Sniper II. Good to know about the aggressive solvent. Might step it up to 3 coats of gloss, which is the recommended amount I just wanted to try the dang stuff out.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

closeted republican posted:

I like the RE/100 series because of the suits featured, not the gimmicks of the line. I love finally having a Nightingale period that isn't a resin or a bootleg and a modern Dijeh kit.

I want to like the line too, but when even some HGs have better features they need to step it up a bit IMO. Budget line or not, they're still not cheap, and I'd rather pay a bit more for something with more parts and less reliance on stickers than what they're charging for the current product.

I'm also smarting some from the Mk.III, which was a long-time Most Wanted for me but is a sufficiently underwhelming effort to drop right off the list.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Beware, fellow mobile suits, for the time of reckoning has come! After months of waiting, the Great Masterpiece Tallgeese has finally arrived! It comes to lead its Leo children to victory, alongside all of their fellow proletariat grunt suit brethren! Prepare yourselves, decadent one-off designs, for we shall destroy you and all other bourgeois designs who are not part of a great grunt lineage! Death to the boondoggles! Long live the Tallgeese!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The RE/100 line definitely has MG level surface detail, it's just not as dense as that line. And they don't feel chintzy or like the HG line, they feel right on the money. Given the option, I'd take an MG any day, but seeing as the line exists solely so we can get some obscure kits in a decent size class, I'm okay with it.

Now bring on the Advance of Zeta suits already.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I feel weird for liking HGs because 1/144 scale makes it easier to get/make kits that are in scale with my super robots.

edit: That and Build Fighters, of course.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TARDISman posted:

You don't need an excuse to buy an MG Ball ever. There are 3 kits everyone should own. MG Gundam X, MG Ball, and depending on who you ask, MG Double X, MG Gundam Mk-II, or a second Gundam X.

Is the MG Gundam MK-II good? That's one of a handful of Gundams I actually like.
Also I really really wish they made an MG Captain Gundam.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

everythingWasBees posted:

Is the MG Gundam MK-II good? That's one of a handful of Gundams I actually like.
Also I really really wish they made an MG Captain Gundam.

The Mk-II 2.0 is a really good kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's pretty hard to go wrong with any MG produced in the last ten years, though lord knows it ain't impossible.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The RE/100 line definitely has MG level surface detail, it's just not as dense as that line. And they don't feel chintzy or like the HG line, they feel right on the money. Given the option, I'd take an MG any day, but seeing as the line exists solely so we can get some obscure kits in a decent size class, I'm okay with it.

Now bring on the Advance of Zeta suits already.

That's how I feel about the RE/100 line as well. Yeah, I'd love full-fledged MGs for the suits featured in the RE/100 line, but there was no way things like the Nightingale and Dijeh would ever get an MG kit. I'll eat having to apply stickers if it means a cool-looking kit of an obscure MS.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

closeted republican posted:

That's how I feel about the RE/100 line as well. Yeah, I'd love full-fledged MGs for the suits featured in the RE/100 line, but there was no way things like the Nightingale and Dijeh would ever get an MG kit. I'll eat having to apply stickers if it means a cool-looking kit of an obscure MS.

It is what it is, but that doesn't stop me from wanting a bit more. The original MGs were kind of cheeze too so I'm hoping the line will grow out of it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

Beware, fellow mobile suits, for the time of reckoning has come! After months of waiting, the Great Masterpiece Tallgeese has finally arrived! It comes to lead its Leo children to victory, alongside all of their fellow proletariat grunt suit brethren! Prepare yourselves, decadent one-off designs, for we shall destroy you and all other bourgeois designs who are not part of a great grunt lineage! Death to the boondoggles! Long live the Tallgeese!

I share your love of Tallgeese, as all right thinking and virtuous people do, but it's still kind of a boondoggle what with piloting it causing enough strain to kill you and all.