Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

books are grea *chops down the amazon*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Xaris posted:

it's not government ran tho. my isp gutted my usenet access a couple years back too :(

on demand has nothing on me able to get (redacted) from the first season on.

it is true though most of usenet is CP and viruses

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!
Having trouble remembering the last time a book crashed on me.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I do re-read some books. Usually fiction, books I have a sentimental connection to, but since I mostly read non-fiction I don't feel the draw to revisit most books. There are just so many books I haven't read and unless I've somehow forgotten a big portion of the book or the content was over my head the first time I won't re-read a book over reading a new book most of the time.

friend me up on goodreads

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Perfidia posted:

Having trouble remembering the last time a book crashed on me.
:qq: i bet having money in it makes your wallet really uncomfortable anyway

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SpeedGem posted:

on demand has nothing on me able to get (redacted) from the first season on.

Truth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you can't really get a big pile of e-readers and light them on fire the same way though, you know? they're missing that certain something

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

it's not government ran tho. my isp gutted my usenet access a couple years back too :(

you're lucky, most ISPs did that 10-15 years ago

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

gary oldmans diary posted:

:qq: i bet having money in it makes your wallet really uncomfortable anyway

I'm far too dumb to understand this so yeah sure OK

Moridin920 posted:

you can't really get a big pile of e-readers and light them on fire the same way though, you know? they're missing that certain something

Cut out the back of the teakwood chest for bonus fuel.

e: poo poo, camphorwood!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ebook readers are great until you take one trip to a used book store or thrift store and buy 30 books for 5 dollars and go "well poo poo"

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

who cares how you read a book as long as you read it

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

jiharlequinade posted:

who cares how you read a book as long as you read it

I read my books out loud in Gilbert Godfrey voice

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

there's a lot of crappy real books out there, and they suck. but if you spend a bit more like from library of america, everyman's library, or the folio society, you can get nice rear end books.

library of america is extremely my poo poo.

can you reccomend anthologies like it??

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

one time i read consider phlebas on ipad 1st gen and it was like looking into a laser pointer. good book tho

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Book piracy is my bae

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

TheJoker138 posted:

But for real I use a Kindle because I don't have room for actual books, and carrying around a ton of books for school sucks. So instead of carrying around a twenty pound backpack I just throw my kindle into my back pocket.

Also books loving stink.

Ah let me just take this 7-9 inch tablet out of my back pocket every time I sit down, oh by the way I have a kindle, see it? I take it out of my pocket when ever I sit or do anything. Oh no, I'm sitting down again, guess I got to take out my kindle

people who put anything in their back pocket are weird, but let me guess you wear jorts with extra back pockets

also a black person may take it out of your pocket hope this helps

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Meowbot posted:

Ah let me just take this 7-9 inch tablet out of my back pocket every time I sit down, oh by the way I have a kindle, see it? I take it out of my pocket when ever I sit or do anything. Oh no, I'm sitting down again, guess I got to take out my kindle

people who put anything in their back pocket are weird, but let me guess you wear jorts with extra back pockets

also a black person may take it out of your pocket hope this helps

:goonsay:

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
so instead of buying books for college i can pirate them to an e reader?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pookum posted:

If your college isn't total poo poo you probably already have legal access to at least some of them on some publisher's site. Ought to check up on that.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

physical books are sometimes better for finding specific translations

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
probably better to read textbooks on an ipad due to the kindle's surprisingly poo poo PDF rendering, but then again the textbook piracy scene is still not so great. I imagine this varies by field though.

I wish I could have gone in on my textbooks with a group of 10 other students, bought it, removed the book's spine and binding on a table saw, and run all the pages through a stack scanner so we could share the pdf

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Xaris posted:

imagine if the government ran a video/game center where you could walk in and grab a dvd from a new movie/game for 3 weeks for free :wth:

Had those on the various military bases I lived.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
also, many libraries rent ebooks and audiobooks through Overdrive (https://www.overdrive.com/) which is awesome

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Mein Eyes! posted:

also, many libraries rent ebooks and audiobooks through Overdrive (https://www.overdrive.com/) which is awesome

I think your statement needs clarification.

It is awesome that libraries rent ebooks and audiobooks.

Overdrive itself is not awesome and is a giant pile of crap.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Pookum posted:

not all of them but by the time you pirate just 1 math and 1 science textbook youve recouped the costs of the ereader versus even what those would cost used

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Polygoon Window posted:

library of america is extremely my poo poo.

can you reccomend anthologies like it??
everyman's library publishes a lot of hardcover omnibuses: mccarthy's border trilogy, updike's rabbit tetralogy, mann's joseph and his brothers, didion's nonfiction, etc.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pookum posted:

No lie, I saved myself tons of money doing this when I was in school. Of course, they were pretty quick to legally rape the specialized textbook piracy sites.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Mnemosyne posted:

I think your statement needs clarification.

It is awesome that libraries rent ebooks and audiobooks.

Overdrive itself is not awesome and is a giant pile of crap.

forgive me i should have clarified how frustrating it is to use overdrive, though I still use it

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

haha i have an e-reader on my phone and can read a cool book when i have to wait for poo poo instead of zoning out like a dip poo poo wasting time sucks to be you op

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pookum posted:

lol if you didn't already pirate most of them

gently caress you I ain't paying $200 for a book you wrote bitch that poo poo is on the internet in PDF and ebook format for free

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Free public domain books on the Kindle are awesome. I mean, so are pirated books, but I hate it when the formatting gets all hosed up.

I like reading on the Kindle because you can adjust the font size. I have concentration issues these days that make me get lost very easily in paragraphs of small text. And, my vision gets blurry after a while of close focus. So being able to make the text bigger helps me out!

Buuuut you just can't replicate borrowing a book from a friend :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Xaris posted:

(Used) Kindles are like $35. Viggen on SA-MART sells a bunch of refurb'd ones that are really good. That's about the price of a new hardcover book or two.

lol, let's just ignore that a lot of used books can be had on amazon for basically the cost of shipping

also, library supremacy, bitches. if your library doesn't have a book you need ask whether or not it participates in an interlibrary loan program - chances are a library in an *actual city* near you might. this also works for movies and TV shows

• Locked thread