Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Will you also be intermittently checking up on various radio channels through the game? The GCPD dispatch, Gotham News, et. al? Do they even have different radio transmissions for progressing for the game, or is it all looped?

They do, but it's all very generic. Nothing of real interest appears on any of the channels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, that last combat round was expertly done! But how do you do the whole 'run up a stunned enemy and land on a different enemy' move?

Oh yeah - Julian Day's stuff sucks. As in, 'This is supposed to be gritty and grim! No fun allowed in Batman universe!' sucks.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

Will you also be intermittently checking up on various radio channels through the game? The GCPD dispatch, Gotham News, et. al? Do they even have different radio transmissions for progressing for the game, or is it all looped?

Parts of it are definitely looped, I might cut it in when it changes (and if I remember :() but a big chunk of it is just generic chatter. "Tyger 1 this is Tyger 5 we shot a guy" "Good job". After the clock tower Gotham FM has a new broadcast I'll probably toss in but aside from that it's never been a thing I regularly checked on.

Gotham FM changes throughout and those are the ones I'll probably try to cut in, chances are GCPD dispatch channel gets new things too. I'll check it periodically and I've got about three different runs going at the same time, but I make no promises!

Samovar posted:

Oh, that last combat round was expertly done! But how do you do the whole 'run up a stunned enemy and land on a different enemy' move?

Stunning has been pretty beefed up with the beatdowns and the aerial attack, but the downside of the aerial attack is that it leaves you vulnerable to other enemies attacking you. After stunning a guy, double tap evade towards him and you'll do the attack where you jump on him. Hit strike towards another enemy before he jumps off, however, and he'll leap onto that other guy, and I think this is called an Aerial Redirect. This has the bonus of leaving you pretty safe, no one will try to hit you.

It works pretty much the opposite way in Arkham Origins in that the aerial redirect leaves you super open to getting hit, which makes no sense. But that's a different story.

edit: also if you're skipping over the challenge videos but want to see the skins, I think that's where I'm going to be showing those off. This one has the Animated Series Batman skin.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ah, this game. I both adore it, and am annoyed by it. I actually 100%'d the main storyline, including the Riddler stuff, but good GODS there is too much Riddler stuff in this game. 440 challenges is a real slog, especially your first time around.

It's also nice to see combat being done well. I am absolutely terrible at the freeflow combat stuff. Though, I'm pretty good at Predator, I guess because it's more of a thinking man's challenge. That didn't stop me from learning some things in your AA game, though, and I hope to learn some more from this one.

I think one of my complaints of this game, however, is how big the open world is. It feels like there's only a small handful of nodes and a whole lot of empty nothingness between them. It's really just gliding over the rooftops for a long time as you go from one end of the city to the other over and over. There's a lot of detail on the ground that they did, but you almost never see it unless you go looking for a fight, but then you're probably more interested in the goons you're breaking then the scenery.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, there's just too much everything. The game expands and improves on AA in virtually every way, but then just goes too far in adding even more content that just becomes annoying filler. There's something like 14 gadgets that you can use in combat, on top of an expanded repertoire of combat moves all added onto a combat system that really didn't need much more than multiple counters.

All the challenge rooms in AA had their own little quirk that made them fun and interesting, where the challenges in AC feel like a endless set of different and mildly interesting backdrops for the same challenge.

As noted above, 440 Riddler trophies is just too many, and by the end they're just a chore for the sake of completionism.

I love this game, and enjoyed playing the campaign and doing a bunch of the challenges, but getting anywhere near 100% felt almost MMO-like in terms of "do something boring repeatedly for a brief reward of something interesting"

All that negativity shouldn't obscure the fact that AA+multiple counters+open world+interesting bosses is AMAZING, but it's infuriating to play a game where perfection could be achieved with judicious use of a red pen.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Samovar posted:

Oh yeah - Julian Day's stuff sucks. As in, 'This is supposed to be gritty and grim! No fun allowed in Batman universe!' sucks.

The rest are garbage, but I actually quite liked the Halloween one until the last line. The idea of all the Rogues partying down with Halloween revelers and just being normal people for one night was really charming. But then they had to make it dark :rolleyes: They tried really hard to make Julian seem threatening in both this game and the next one, and it just never worked for me. He's the Calendar Man! He used to dress like this:

How could you ever be afraid of that dumbass?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CuwiKhons posted:

The rest are garbage, but I actually quite liked the Halloween one until the last line. The idea of all the Rogues partying down with Halloween revelers and just being normal people for one night was really charming. But then they had to make it dark :rolleyes: They tried really hard to make Julian seem threatening in both this game and the next one, and it just never worked for me. He's the Calendar Man! He used to dress like this:

How could you ever be afraid of that dumbass?

Because they tried to turn him into Hannibal Lecter during Long Halloween, and he hasn't recovered.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LordPants posted:

Would Catwoman really not be as effective if she zipped up her top? But I guess it's important that we know she has boobs because she's a female character. :shrug:

Considering how Catwoman uses her sexuality during combat, I'd say it at least makes sense in the context of the game. I mean, we are talking about psychopathic inmates who're trapped in a walled-off section of the city with very few, if any, interactions with women so it could distract them. In any case, I try not to think about it too much, it IS just a video game about heroes and villains.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Considering how Catwoman uses her sexuality during combat, I'd say it at least makes sense in the context of the game.

I've heard this argument so many times to justify so much lovely stuff with respect to women in these kinds of stories that I've come to really hate it.

I don't mean this as a strike against you personally, just after the 60th separate character or so you hear 'Oh, this character too, she's just using her sexuality AS A WEAPON and it makes sense!' it rings pretty goddamn hollow.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 5, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

^^^ What 'e said.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

I don't mean this as a strike against you personally, just after the 60th separate character or so you hear 'Oh, this character too, she's just using her sexuality AS A WEAPON and it makes sense!' it rings pretty goddamn hollow.

No no, I get it. For this game specifically, seeing Catwoman kiss her enemies in combat sort of convinces me of that argument. E: And her other suggestive moves, as well.

As a general argument though, it's poo poo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

here's a map of all the assaults in the game

Spoiler'd just in case.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Night10194 posted:

I think the only character this holds water for is Bayonetta.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think the difference between Catwoman and Bayonetta is that in both games we're seeing the world through the eyes of the protagonist and experiencing it as they do, it's just that for the former that happens to be the eyes of Batman. So Bayonetta's campy raunchy asskicking makes sense because all of her moves and music and cutscenes paint the world as a place where that happens. Contrast with Catwoman where dark, brooding and handsome is who we're seeing the world through, so her gallavating just sort of comes across as dissonant and out of place and sort of makes her look incompetent. It's all about the setting playing off the characters.

I will say though, Catwoman's core combat is really, really fun for me, she just feels really good to play as almost more than Batman does and it goes a long way to redeem her character for me. Shame her open world stuff is sort of a slog though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Defending catwoman and bayonetta from a design perspective doesn't hold any water-dev files from both games indicates that the people involved with designing the characters at issue were colossal pervs, and this is what directed their work. The gameplay is great, the depiction of gender is indefensible. HTH.

Technowolf posted:

here's a map of all the assaults in the game

Spoiler'd just in case.

This is a map of all the inmate assaults. Something to be aware of that the guide doesn't mention is that a couple aren't available until you 1) complete some other endgame sidequests, and then 2) move into their area. The assaults are, sadly, some of the last things you can complete in the game, aside from riddler trophies.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 5, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No no, I get it. For this game specifically, seeing Catwoman kiss her enemies in combat sort of convinces me of that argument. E: And her other suggestive moves, as well.

As a general argument though, it's poo poo.

The problem with this is that if Catwoman is close enough to kiss a thug, then she's close enough to claw their faces off, and it would be much more effective. Probably the only justifiable moment of her using sexuality as a weapon in the entire game is her flirting with Two-Face to try and get him to let her go because she's in a situation where it's the only thing she's got. Other than that, Catwoman is blatantly pandering to the audience and I'm talking about the players, not the thugs. We haven't seen Catwoman do a slide yet but it's... it's pretty bad.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CuwiKhons posted:

The problem with this is that if Catwoman is close enough to kiss a thug, then she's close enough to claw their faces off, and it would be much more effective. Probably the only justifiable moment of her using sexuality as a weapon in the entire game is her flirting with Two-Face to try and get him to let her go because she's in a situation where it's the only thing she's got. Other than that, Catwoman is blatantly pandering to the audience and I'm talking about the players, not the thugs. We haven't seen Catwoman do a slide yet but it's... it's pretty bad.

This has always been and forever will be Catwoman's shtick.

Honestly, the only Catwoman incarnation I've really liked was actually in the Tim Burton movie, where she's basically just as crazy as any other villain. They toy with the mysticism angle there about cats and poo poo, but I honestly like to read it as a kind of simple woman who is nearly murdered by her boss (who had basically only used her for her body anyway), survives, is mentally scarred, and just kind of goes off the deep end from there. She's honestly really rather frightening in that one. I dislike Catwoman's general push into the "anti-hero" territory, as her darker portrayals have always been more interesting than attempting to be make her a sexpot with a heart of gold.

If I ever wrote Batman I'd :goonsay:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Catwoman wouldn't be so much of a problem if some male characters used their sexuality. Maybe you have Batman in assless chaps or a pair of super tight speedos. :lol:

Also has Catwoman appeared in the Snyder Batman comic?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

LordPants posted:

Catwoman wouldn't be so much of a problem if some male characters used their sexuality. Maybe you have Batman in assless chaps or a pair of super tight speedos. :lol:

http://thehawkeyeinitiative.com/

Catwoman - and other female characters - are so bad in AC that they are detrimental to my enjoyment. It's horrid to show someone the game. "Yeah you can play as a Batman and kick rear end and... oh, yeah, there's also Catwoman, let's not go in there" :(

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm just waiting to see Batwoman fight Poison Oak or something. Gender roles reverse, same gadgets, MO, and superpowers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

We haven't seen Catwoman do a slide yet but it's... it's pretty bad.

Oh yeah, there's also costume damage for Catwoman much like there is for Batman; and yet the former is so much more pandering that it is... dissapointing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm just waiting to see Batwoman fight Poison Oak or something. Gender roles reverse, same gadgets, MO, and superpowers.

Batman has probably already fought Swamp Thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, he did. I think even in the Alan Moore run. And he fought Superman too, in the same run. And Lex Luthor was a rapist in that run, too.

Wow, DC is pretty hosed up in general, isn't it?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Batman has probably already fought Swamp Thing.

Sure, but Swamp Thing isn't looking sexy as hell in a thong. There's the key.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dscruffy1 posted:

Swamp Thing isn't looking sexy as hell in a thong.

Says you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

dscruffy1 posted:

Sure, but Swamp Thing isn't looking sexy as hell in a thong. There's the key.
Now, how female-gazy does the male superhero have to be? Are we talking chippendales or could we scale up to George Clooney Batsuit With Guy-Nipples

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Samovar posted:

Yeah, he did. I think even in the Alan Moore run. And he fought Superman too, in the same run. And Lex Luthor was a rapist in that run, too.

Yeah DC owns.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Now, how female-gazy does the male superhero have to be? Are we talking chippendales or could we scale up to George Clooney Batsuit With Guy-Nipples

It should just be the other male gaze. Every pagesecond looking like a tribute to Tom of Finland.

goatface fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 6, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Hey, Alan Moore can be hosed up all on his own, he doesn't need your fancy schmancy Big Two publishers to let him.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So it turns out I accidentally recorded everything I did yesterday in 60FPS and I'm pretty sure it looks like garbage. Which means it's a good thing I've got three saves and not two, and also explains all the technical difficulties I was having yesterday. Anyway, I want to make sure I'm not just overly critical. Tell me if this looks as clunky as I think it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzfmSs-ljRo

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Speaking as a female, neither.
Anime pretty boy is where it's at. Give Batman gorgeous hair, improbable eyelashes and a sad yet soulful smile. And no shirt.

I am only partly kidding. Anime, no. Pretty boy, yes please. So not impressed by muscle-bound male power fantasies. Female-gazy should make straight men highly uncomfortable if we want a proper parallel, after all. Instead of fighting with sexy moves like Catwoman, he can talk about his feelings!

Batsuit With Guy-Nipples wasn't female-gazy that was just weird for everyone.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

So it turns out I accidentally recorded everything I did yesterday in 60FPS and I'm pretty sure it looks like garbage. Which means it's a good thing I've got three saves and not two, and also explains all the technical difficulties I was having yesterday. Anyway, I want to make sure I'm not just overly critical. Tell me if this looks as clunky as I think it does.

It seems pretty good to me, actually. Then again I'm not mr video quality expert. :shrug:

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

dscruffy1 posted:

Aw yiss, that looked so good...

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Looks good to me, but I use chrome so youtube allows me to watch it at 60fps.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

It doesn't look that bad to me either, but like ManlyGrunting, I'm no pro with video editing. Although that was just a predator map, I could see how things like the main game or a combat challenge could start to chug when the game starts swarming you with enemies.

GirlCalledBob posted:

Anime pretty boy is where it's at. Give Batman gorgeous hair, improbable eyelashes and a sad yet soulful smile. And no shirt.

Have you met my friend, Handsome Superman?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 7, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Challenge map videos have a much, much lower resource draw than main story videos, because the game preallocates and stores all needed resources for the entire challenge when it's first loading (the spaces are also much, much smaller).

By contrast, the game has to juggle preallocation for all possible nearby areas and activities when you're in the open world, plus a bunch of other additional game state information. It may be the case that challenge maps work at 60 fps, but the main game can't.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

TwoPair posted:

It doesn't look that bad to me either, but like ManlyGrunting, I'm no pro with video editing. Although that was just a predator map, I could see how things like the main game or a combat challenge could start to chug when the game starts swarming you with enemies.

Have you met my friend, Handsome Superman?

As I recall, Batman had some serious lips to him in that movie too. Also the physique and brooding demeanor, but that goes without saying.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Truth is the game performance isn't chugging much that I can tell (aside from my computer is dying help), concern I had is that my first rendering of this was noticeably worse. But I'll try the next video in 60FPS and see what happens, should mean minimal re-recording.

Aside from that VirtualDub kept chugging on these videos for some reason when I was trying to pull frame numbers and it was really weird and worrying. Not sure how to get past that.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

GirlCalledBob posted:

I am only partly kidding. Anime, no. Pretty boy, yes please. So not impressed by muscle-bound male power fantasies. Female-gazy should make straight men highly uncomfortable if we want a proper parallel, after all. Instead of fighting with sexy moves like Catwoman, he can talk about his feelings!

Batsuit With Guy-Nipples wasn't female-gazy that was just weird for everyone.

So Edward Cullen as Batman, then?

Or, ah ha ha, Christian Grey. Just extend the "Batman and Joker are secret lovers" joke to the entire rogue's gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

dscruffy1 posted:

There's Elseworld's Finest, where Batgirl and Supergirl team-up, in a world where they don't have their male counterparts (Bruce Wayne ends up in the role of Alfred, sponsoring Barbara with his money). Joker's obsession with Batgirl is... well, he ends up using kryptonite powered Venom to pump himself up and try to woo her.

GirlCalledBob posted:

I am only partly kidding. Anime, no. Pretty boy, yes please.

Check Gotham Knight: Field Test Batman! An anime pretty boy, but he still looks badass in his costume:

• Locked thread