Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's on the top of like every "scariest movie" list but it's not scary.

1. It's not scary.
2. The Joker isn't even wearing face paint.
3. The kid can't act. Tony is useless as a character device.
4. The entire "shining" concept was undeveloped and worthless.
5. Stanley Kubrick clearly was terrible at character development and acting direction.
6. Jack Nicholson can't... umm... act.

The cinematography was pretty cool I guess. But I'm pretty sure everyone just loves this movie because Stanley Kubrick directed it and he wasn't a huge overrated neckbeard or anything. Shelly Duvall is actually pretty good and she's at least a 5.5. The tricycle in the hallway scenes were p good.

Please tell me why I should like this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
gently caress you pal

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
You're an awful person.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
wrong

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really i think if you consider this movie a masterpiece it can be objectively said that you lack taste.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
i agree w/ the op actually so ^^^ u all can gently caress off

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

someone needs to redrum the op

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Dolphin posted:

really i think if you consider this movie a masterpiece it can be objectively said that you lack taste.

nah you just a dumb bitch

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1scLlKLMQ

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

LifeSizePotato posted:

someone needs to redrum the op

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Hello, Mr. Stephen King.

I'm sorry the Shining was a good movie even though it wasn't exactly like your book. I'm sorry your "new, better" Shining movie that was way more like your book flopped. But I think you're being pretty mean right now.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Hello, Mr. Stephen King.

I'm sorry the Shining was a good movie even though it wasn't exactly like your book. I'm sorry your "new, better" Shining movie that was way more like your book flopped. But I think you're being pretty mean right now.

Seriously Stephen that movie sucked, leave movie making to the professionals.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
no, it's a pretty good flick. i liked the part where scatman carouthers....well, no spoilers

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
they made a 2 hour documentary about the movie so yeah.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i lol'ed at the tv remake that was supposed to be closer to the book where jack went crazy with a croquet mallet :cripes:

OiledUpFatMan
Oct 22, 2010
op is a dummy

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Look at this motherfucker over here.
I'm the OP, I'm so loving cool I have controversial opiniions.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
i like that the black man spent half the movie traveling to help the family, plowing through the snow, leaving his home, in the middle of the worst weather in history, and immediately gets an axe buried in his sternum within seconds of arriving

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Shelly Duval is pretty cute as long as she has a thick turtleneck or scarf to make her face look less weird shaped

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

raise your hand if you've jerked it to the hot naked chick/rotting granny scene

...anyone?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
ahahaha what a funny trole!!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harime Nui posted:

Shelly Duval is pretty cute as long as she has a thick turtleneck or scarf to make her face look less weird shaped
i like shelly duval and i would make babies with her if she wasn't dead

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Weird how this is the line in the sand Goons draw when it comes to ironic "gently caress this" OPs in GBS.

Anyway people like The Shining because it's crazy symbolic and loans itself to crazy-rear end interpretations that your average film snob loves because it makes them feel really smart and insightful. It's a decent horror movie besides too, even if Nicholson is all but unrelatable since he's Nicholson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y18NlwTHGoQ

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I'm not joking. I am pretty sure the OP is Stephen King. There is literally only one person on the entire planet who didn't like that movie.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

it maybe wasn't a "scary" movie but that scene with the dog costume was pretty darn unsettling

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I can't wait to watch it on my new computer with 4k resolution.

Here's Jonny!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
well done to everybody itt doing a humerous impersantrion of CD great job guys u nailed it

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Weird how this is the line in the sand Goons draw when it comes to ironic "gently caress this" OPs in GBS.

Anyway people like The Shining because it's crazy symbolic and loans itself to crazy-rear end interpretations that your average film snob loves because it makes them feel really smart and insightful. It's a decent horror movie besides too, even if Nicholson is all but unrelatable since he's Nicholson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y18NlwTHGoQ
I watched like the first two minutes of this, and the guy is talking about the European tag line "the wave of fear that swept over America" and then he says that the real wave of fear was the genocide of the Native Americans and then just continues talking about the movie. I'm not watching the rest of it but I can't imagine that that isn't just a bizarre non sequitur.
Edit: Okay, it makes sense in context n/m.

V Well poo poo, now I have to watch it. V

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 2, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Action Yak Police posted:

I watched like the first two minutes of this, and the guy is talking about the European tag line "the wave of fear that swept over America" and then he says that the real wave of fear was the genocide of the Native Americans and then just continues talking about the movie. I'm not watching the rest of it but I can't imagine that that isn't just a bizarre non sequitur.

It only gets weirder. One of the 5 people doing interpretations goes with the "it's a confession-disguised-as-a-movie about how Kubrick faked the moon landing."

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

By crazy-rear end you mean loving retarded.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Agreed with the OP and Duvall is cute

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Oberleutnant posted:

well done to everybody itt doing a humerous impersantrion of CD great job guys u nailed it

We need a three to four page dissection of cinematography to really get to that level, GBS needs to keep working at it. If mattes were used in the shining we could probably get the ball rolling by complaining about lighting/shadows ruining ones immersion.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
100 years from now people will be talking about the late anglo-american empire after a screening of a Cassavetes, Zahedi or Bujalski movie, and nobody will remember Lynch, Kubrick or Spielberg

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

CD is funny enough on its own. I mean they unironically think VHS is better than DVD and Joe Carnahan (the guy who directed the A-Team) is the "greatest director of our generation."

CD is useful to read as long as you take every opinion they have and do the opposite. If they say a new movie is a masterpiece you should avoid it.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

its actually a good movie, not a bad one

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op is a loving commie

• Locked thread