Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ElegantFugue posted:

And guidelines for lots and lots of interesting terrain like clock towers and living garden mazes and flowing waterways and ghost-filled ballrooms.

The most successful game I ever ran--and which was the only one that I finished, from beginning to end--was a 4e Castlevania game that topped out around 14th-15th level. Terrain was an absolute must for me as a DM, and I actually went through the trouble of crafting custom centerpieces for areas of the castle.

A section of the clocktower. The players really loved this set. Super old, like close to 4 years at this point, and I long since trashed them. Mostly we used a dry-erase mat for most combats, since a good third of the time I was making poo poo up on the spot.

The thing I kept in mind when making the rules for them was ease of use and understanding; platforms rose and fell on their turn, as did gears, and moving up and down sections of walls was simple jump checks (if I bothered to make them roll at all). Terrain ought to be something fun and engaging and not require jumping through hoops or making a lot of unnecessary rolls to get the most out of them. Exceptions should be here and there, of course, but it's something to keep in mind nonetheless.

One particularly fun example I can think of was a hallway I had thrown in a topsy-turvy upside-down section of the castle. Gravity was subjective, and both enemies and players could attack from the ceiling or the floor if they were standing on either one, and could traverse between them by either jumping, flying, or using one of the many doors to hop from one side to the other. Things like that really help spice up what can otherwise be just a stream of combat encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Esser-Z posted:

I assume Spycraft 1.0 also adds a whole lot more options and abilities (I've never played it), because playing 3.5 entirely with noncaster sounds... horrifyingly boring.

It is if the options stick to "attack/full attack/charge attack" routine, which is why my current Pathfinder game has the PCs as students at a magic school who are secretly FANTASY SUPERHEROES. Even at low level the variety of magic and spells is enough for people to feel cool.

If you're gonna play 3.X, you might as well embrace all its myriad options both 1st and 3rd Party. There's really no excuse to limit martials in such a way anymore unless you're some kind of Fighter-hating Caster Supremacist.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 4, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know this was in last month's thread, but up until today when I caught up on it I had literally never heard a bad thing said about Deadlands other than "Lost Colony was dumb" or "Reloaded is better," so I was sort of legitimately shocked to see people hating on it. Even beyond the people I gamed with, it seems like basically every gamer I have ever mentioned it around loves it. It is probably still my favorite system, even all these years later (and even though I understand mechanically the Savage Worlds version is more elegant).

Though I suppose given that my traditional gaming group and I are all Yankees and would have never gone to the South in-game for the same reason we would not go to the South out-of-game, that might explain why we never encountered/thought about the Confederate bullshit. We understood in theory that the Civil War never ended, but that just kind of seemed like a backdrop to telling the actual interesting party-level stories. Its practical impact on our games was "the dollar is not a totally national currency. The end." We always tell people Deadlands is "Wild West Cthulhu where you MIGHT not die in the campaign" which I suppose indicates how little interest we have in the comparatively mundane real-life aspects of the game world, like the Confederacy.

I do understand the Native American concerns though, and I could never bring myself into play a native as a result of the context of the "noble savage." But one of my favorite characters was a Muslim Blessed/Shaman, which felt like an interesting way to engage with those mechanics. And to demonstrate that nowhere do the rules say those two things are incompatible.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Quarex posted:

I know this was in last month's thread, but up until today when I caught up on it I had literally never heard a bad thing said about Deadlands other than "Lost Colony was dumb" or "Reloaded is better," so I was sort of legitimately shocked to see people hating on it.

I think that's to do with the internet and the spreading of actual reliable information. Eighteen years ago, when Deadlands came out, "The Confederacy was all about States Rights" was probably the mainstream non-academic position. These days, if people try that one online they get pointed straight at the Cornerstone Speech, the Declaration of Causes of Secession, the Constitution of the Confederacy, and a whole heap of other things that the Confederates were saying at the time was their cause (things like "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world."). Rather than the attempted whitewash that started just after they lost and were trying to retroactively justify starting the war while pretending it was anything other than the causes they were championing when they started it.

And because the actual history is so much better known now than it was 18 years ago, the alternate history in Deadlands has moved from being something considered interesting to those people who spend too much time online regard in about the same way we'd regard a holocaust-denialist alternate history.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The world didn't get more informed about the civil war in the last 18 years. It just became less acceptable to hem and haw and lie about it.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Impermanent posted:

The world didn't get more informed about the civil war in the last 18 years. It just became less acceptable to hem and haw and lie about it.

Eh, easier access to the information disproving STATES RIGHTS as the basis is definitely a thing that's happened in the last couple decades, so really the world is a (little bit) more informed.

Slimnoid posted:

The most successful game I ever ran--and which was the only one that I finished, from beginning to end--was a 4e Castlevania game that topped out around 14th-15th level. Terrain was an absolute must for me as a DM, and I actually went through the trouble of crafting custom centerpieces for areas of the castle.

A section of the clocktower. The players really loved this set. Super old, like close to 4 years at this point, and I long since trashed them. Mostly we used a dry-erase mat for most combats, since a good third of the time I was making poo poo up on the spot.

The thing I kept in mind when making the rules for them was ease of use and understanding; platforms rose and fell on their turn, as did gears, and moving up and down sections of walls was simple jump checks (if I bothered to make them roll at all). Terrain ought to be something fun and engaging and not require jumping through hoops or making a lot of unnecessary rolls to get the most out of them. Exceptions should be here and there, of course, but it's something to keep in mind nonetheless.

One particularly fun example I can think of was a hallway I had thrown in a topsy-turvy upside-down section of the castle. Gravity was subjective, and both enemies and players could attack from the ceiling or the floor if they were standing on either one, and could traverse between them by either jumping, flying, or using one of the many doors to hop from one side to the other. Things like that really help spice up what can otherwise be just a stream of combat encounters.

This is really, really cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
While I was 3 years old 18 years ago, I'm fairly certain the non-academic position was that the civil war was about slavery...at least in the north (which is where I'm from). I say this because I don't know anyone who actually buys into state's right theory other than the obnoxious, libertarian, pseudo-academics I sometimes run into at college. What I mean is, since I was kid learning about the war in elementary school, it has always been taught as being mainly about slavery. Other issues and reasons are discussed, but it's always been clear in my classes that the main reason the war was fought was over slavery. That and, except for the prior exception, no one has casually mentioned a counter belief in the regions I live in (once again, I live in the North) and, in many instances, expressed a firm stance that is was about slavery.

Of course, this could be different if you live in different parts of the country.

That is my mostly uninformed, useless opinion on the subject matter.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, Deadlands has the weird thing where the Confederacy abolishes slavery, ostensibly to gain European support (with the subtext being they also needed more bodies for the war). It's a goofy oversimplification of the issues and definitely leans towards Confederate apologism, but at least I see where they were going with trying to excise the whole issue from the setting. And more pointedly, tell players that even if you're playing a Confederate character, being a bigot or a racist is still a villainous trait... in a really hamfisted way.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I choose to blame Gone with the Wind and European immigrant movie directors who didn't want to lock out a quarter of their market for the muddying of that particular water. Once again, Hollywood screws up everything it touches. But, yeah, with the rise of the internet and forums like this where you get to read about how one of the Confederacy's generals proposed abolition and was immediately hushed up lest people think him insane, that narrative holds even less water.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neonchameleon posted:

I think that's to do with the internet and the spreading of actual reliable information. Eighteen years ago, when Deadlands came out, "The Confederacy was all about States Rights" was probably the mainstream non-academic position. These days, if people try that one online they get pointed straight at the Cornerstone Speech, the Declaration of Causes of Secession, the Constitution of the Confederacy, and a whole heap of other things that the Confederates were saying at the time was their cause (things like "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world."). Rather than the attempted whitewash that started just after they lost and were trying to retroactively justify starting the war while pretending it was anything other than the causes they were championing when they started it.

And because the actual history is so much better known now than it was 18 years ago, the alternate history in Deadlands has moved from being something considered interesting to those people who spend too much time online regard in about the same way we'd regard a holocaust-denialist alternate history.

No, the mainstream view in the 90's was still that the cause of the war was slavery. Maybe 28 years ago in the South it was accepted but by the 90's everywhere it's not a widely accepted viewpoint.

EDIT: Ken Burns Civil War is probably to thank for that as well and that came out in 1990. After that, most people who weren't apologists or had an agenda knew what the war was about.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Wasn't about slavery" is something you're going to probably still hear from someone with a Confederate flag on their pickup truck. And you still see a lot of those loving flags.

I'd like to print out a bunch of white rectangle stickers captioned "Surrender Flag of the Confederacy" and slap them over those license plates, but I like not getting beaten to death more.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Not to be a downer, but "it wasn't about slavery!" is still something muttered (or shouted depending on where you are) plenty these days. Probably moreso then in the 90's.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah the other side of the internet is that it's easier to find disinformation to support your fictional narrative and surround yourself with those who share it.

Imagine if the D&D Next "playtest" had consequences beyond producing a mediocre RPG, and then imagine those people are dictating the content of the nation's textbooks because they rule Texas.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
To be fair to Deadlands, even in the section of their "All about the south" sourcebook written from a Confederate POV, it names "Opposition to Slavery" as the main cause of things and only goes into States rights (To own slaves) after that. And includes a disclaimer of pro-Southern bias at the start of the section.

...Sadly the OOC section at the back is kind of a wishy-washy "Well, we're not advocating for this point of view, but Confederate PCs might totally buy into this romantic nonsense"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah for my dissertation research I had the pleasure? of looking through Strom Thurmond's Senatorial Archives and...whew. He had helped the President of the Confederate Heritage Organization or something revise his speech for the centennial of the Secession, and I pretty much wanted to throw up reading through it, talking about how the North would probably be spending the next four years lying about how the Civil War was about slavery. Ugh.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair to Deadlands, even in the section of their "All about the south" sourcebook written from a Confederate POV, it names "Opposition to Slavery" as the main cause of things and only goes into States rights (To own slaves) after that. And includes a disclaimer of pro-Southern bias at the start of the section.

...Sadly the OOC section at the back is kind of a wishy-washy "Well, we're not advocating for this point of view, but Confederate PCs might totally buy into this romantic nonsense"

Shane Hensley is a pretty educated and cool dude so I doubt that he subscribes to the "state's rights" version of Civil War history. I think the Confederacy is there because in the mid-1800's Canada was still a colony, Mexico was Mexico, the Native American tribes were about to be decimated as soon as the Civil War was over, and that's about it in terms of national variety. North America was not exactly Europe in terms of diversity and I think every attempt was made to remedy that for the sake of variety. Even Deseret exists as an independent nation and at that point the Mormons were on there way to becoming a 19th century Waco.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't think Hensely is a Confederate apologist but you don't have to be to pen a game with some dodgy concepts, I would say that the vast majority of questionable content in RPGs (barring outliers like Black Tokyo or FATAL) is down to that whole "never attribute to malice what you can explain with ignorance" thing. Somebody decides they want to make a horror western game in an alt-history where the Civil War didn't end and gets too caught up with steam tanks and zombies and his pet GMPC that's better than you and doesn't think through all the implications of stuff.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think Hensely is a Confederate apologist but you don't have to be to pen a game with some dodgy concepts, I would say that the vast majority of questionable content in RPGs (barring outliers like Black Tokyo or FATAL) is down to that whole "never attribute to malice what you can explain with ignorance" thing. Somebody decides they want to make a horror western game in an alt-history where the Civil War didn't end and gets too caught up with steam tanks and zombies and his pet GMPC that's better than you and doesn't think through all the implications of stuff.

Yeah, I mean they do explain why they left it out and it's a reason that makes sense at the first glance (American slavery was so god-damned awful and serious that it's not fun to roleplay, it makes the game horrifically dark, and not in the sense that a pulp-horror game would want to be) but for a lot of people the vast, vast problems only become apparent when you sit and think about the implications of it.

Everyone should totes read the Cornell University War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies if you want some in-depth peeks at the letters generals were writing each other.

If you check the Navy section, it also has documents and letters from diplomats.

(MEMORY-DIM PREVIEW: In one series of letters, a commander of the Union blockade is unable to apprehend a captain who keeps smuggling in slaves ["Contraband," in civil war records: If they say "The Contraband tried to leave" you know it's a slave and not like, a walking bag of heroin or something] and gets more and more frustrated every time they capture a ship this guy is on and the captain is missing. IIRC, they end up finding him after a guy higher up the food chain writes a letter back explaining that the smuggler had a habit of hiding himself in a whiskey barrel whenever the ship got captured.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The 'best' not-thought out implications about race in the Deadlands books is also in Back East the South, which basically says "Oh, race relations in the south have improved, they're about where they were at during WWII!"

So, you know, during Jim Crow, lynchings, and the KKK hitting peak membership.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes but only 10 years away from the Mad Scientist Supreme Court releasing Desegregation Gas in Neo-Arkans

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

unseenlibrarian posted:

The 'best' not-thought out implications about race in the Deadlands books is also in Back East the South, which basically says "Oh, race relations in the south have improved, they're about where they were at during WWII!"

The problem with saying race relations in the CSA are about the same as they are during WWII in the U.S. is that in the real world the South lost the Civil war. Some racial issues came about because of the Reconstruction period. One of the causes of the KKK was the Reconstruction. The Confederacy lost the Civil war and then had the U.S. Government imposing harsh rules. Not saying whether Reconstruction was bad or not, but I believe it did create a backlash against it. The KKK might not have started if there wasn't Reconstruction taking place. Would there be racism? Yes. There would probably be various laws about segregation.

Yeah, the comment about race relations being the same as they were during WWII is just incorrect because it neglects the effects of an alternate history.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair, lynchings of African-Americans were really on their way out by that point, and the KKK had peaked in the 1920s and was in rapid decline in the '40s as far as I can tell, but there was still a definite degree of monstrous, violent racism going on to be sure. Any degree of violence like that is tragic, but it was at least a far cry from the plague of brutality that African-Americans faced around the turn of the century.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hello, chat thread. Just wanted to let everyone know I am planning on doing the TG Secret Santa again this year. There were several requests last year to get the thread going earlier, so I'm gonna probably get around to launching it around the 15th ish.

Figured a heads-up was in order.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Leperflesh posted:

Hello, chat thread. Just wanted to let everyone know I am planning on doing the TG Secret Santa again this year. There were several requests last year to get the thread going earlier, so I'm gonna probably get around to launching it around the 15th ish.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS :dance:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Spincut posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS :dance:
IN IN IN

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually I better do it earlier than that. Ideally I'd like to get assignments sorted in time for black friday.

So I guess look for something, uh, early next week?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I was just wondering about it today, actually looked in trad games in case you'd put up a thread already! Looking forwards to it, you did a great job last year :)

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Clock Towers
Yeah, this is definitely pretty awesome. That said, I realized SSB4WiiU is coming out in a couple of weeks, so I probably won't actually have enough time to give such a project the attention it'd need.

Instead, I'm going to ask if anyone has any suggestions for Spotify playlists or Youtube playlists or such for background music during tabletop gaming. I tried to suggest we just set Rules of Nature on loop for our D&D 4e game, but for some reason the rest of the group didn't sound interested :saddowns: Now that I think about it, many of the Castlevania soundtracks could probably be pretty fantastic.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Pretty much any video game or TV show music will work for background music, within reason. The key is to keep it fitting with whatever the scene is (city, battle, tense, etc.) and keep the volume down to a more low-key, subtle level.

Just going by my collection of stuff I have used in games over the years: Assassin's Creed, Bastion, Beats Antique, Big O, Blazblue, Castlevania, Chrono Cross/Trigger, Command & Conquer, Cosmic Break, Demon's Crest, Deus Ex, DMC, E.S. Posthumus, Eternal Darkness, EVE Online, Final Fantasy, Forsaken, Fungoid Stream, Gears of War, God of War, Guilty Gear, Intervals, anything by Jake Kaufman, X-Ray Dog, Karl Sanders, Legacy of Kain, Legend of Zelda, Lustmord, Metal Gear Rising, Metroid, Mind Necrosis Factor, Nagual Art, Perturbator, Proctector 101, Quake, Rob Dougan, Sephiroth, Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill, Sword of the Bersker~Guts Rage, System Shock 2, The Angelic Process, Timesplitters, Touhou, Turok 1 & 2, Ulver, Unreal Tournament, various Warhammer 40k games, and XCOM.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
This weekend is Metatopia, the only convention that I know of specifically for games designers, rather than for players. There's some major small press names presenting panels, including Kenneth Hite, Vincent Baker, Avery McDaldno, and Fred Hicks. There's also going to be a whole lot of playtesting going on.

While I'm certain a lot of it is going to be inside baseball, if anyone is interested, I could do a write up of my experiences after it's all over. I'm especially looking forward to playtesting Eclipse Phase: Fate Edition.

Also, if any other goons are present, hit me up. We can talk about goony poo poo or whatever.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Meinberg posted:

This weekend is Metatopia, the only convention that I know of specifically for games designers, rather than for players. There's some major small press names presenting panels, including Kenneth Hite, Vincent Baker, Avery McDaldno, and Fred Hicks. There's also going to be a whole lot of playtesting going on.

While I'm certain a lot of it is going to be inside baseball, if anyone is interested, I could do a write up of my experiences after it's all over. I'm especially looking forward to playtesting Eclipse Phase: Fate Edition.

Also, if any other goons are present, hit me up. We can talk about goony poo poo or whatever.

Sounds like a pretty genteel place! Tell us how it goes!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Odd question, but is DrivethruRPG in Spanish for other people?

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014

LongDarkNight posted:

It's in english for me.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Leperflesh posted:

Yesss so excited! :buddy:

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

LongDarkNight posted:

I had it randomly switch to German on me; I was able to change it back with the language setting drop-down at the bottom of the page.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Davin Valkri posted:

Sounds like a pretty genteel place! Tell us how it goes!
Yeah, this sounds pretty interesting. Also sort of like the gaming equivalent of the New World Order!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

Awesome, I've been looking forward to doing it again this year.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Ewen Cluney posted:

I had it randomly switch to German on me; I was able to change it back with the language setting drop-down at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this week is dragon week, please post your proest dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Source.

• Locked thread