Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Davin Valkri posted:

I don't like Dragons. They're lovely, short ranged, underpowered, hard to control ATGMs, and what really gets me is that they existed in a time when much better designs were available, and I can't figure out for the life of me why the US kept using them all the way up to freaking Desert Storm! It's like, hey, you already use Swedish AT4/M136 launchers, you couldn't ask them to throw on some BILL 1s in the package? Or borrow some MILANs from West German or Italy while you're buying Rheinmetall tank cannons or Otobreda naval guns?

...oh, wait, wrong Dragons. Er...I don't like those dragons either. I don't like the whole "older and wiser and more railroadier than you" air they give off, and I want to shoot them down with J35s for irony's sake.

This is truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

if it's cool and it's not an established property good luck getting a game together for it, ever

That's why I'm happy for getting my ileni game up and running.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not to sound like a grognard, but if you're not playing a character so much as the forces acting on them, is it still an RPG?

Asking the question doesn't make you a grog. Nerd-Raging about it would.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zurui posted:

For reference, you should be looking at threads like this or this.

The Sealed Land is a good gametm. :allears:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

grassy gnoll posted:

It's like regular PAX, only when the drunken nerds get into a fistfight over Magic cards, they actually know how to throw a punch.

Does everybody really think us Pacific Northwesterners are complete pansies?
I mean, y'all realize Portlandia is just a TV show, right?
:can:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of course, nowadays we all know that the actual documentary is Young Einstein.

What a strange way to spell Reckless Kelly.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Libertad! posted:

The Escapist was also responsible for promoting the conspiracy theory of Communists infiltrating the gaming industry via "Cultural Marxists influencing social justice advocates."

The problem with that label is that it was originally used by genuine Communists to criticize cultural repression of equality, but several decades later was picked up by European white supremacist groups to accuse any group (pro-women, pro-LGBT, etc) promoting equality of being secret Communists.

Google Cultural Marxism. Several of the top results come from Neo-Nazi blogs and wikis.

Without any hint of self-awareness US right-wingers and GamerGate supporters picked up the label because red-baiting comes naturally to them. Most GGers aren't Neo-Nazis, but using such terminology only hurt them long-term when genuine racists started joining the brand. See the King of Pol, or that bald guy behind The Sarkeesian Effect.

See also: rpgpundit, zak s, jimmy des, jimmy rags, etc.
I'm pretty sure each of them have cried cultural marxist when called on their poo poo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arivia posted:

Didn't you get really mad and threaten to doxx me and Ettin and say you were leaving Trad Games forever? And now you're back to be ironically insulting in a thread you regularly get banned from for shitposting.

Lol.

Ahaha what? That sounds like an awesome story.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arivia posted:

I'm just tired of your driveby shitposting. It's really boring, like you are in entirety. And it's not really importing drama when you threatened to doxx a mod over them not treating you like god's gift to gaming. You're a literal child: you scream and throw tantrums and make messes, and then you cry when others don't treat you nicely for being a gross homophobic racist cancer.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. So as I'm sure you're aware, no one here liked Plutonis because he is a racist, homophobic, transphobic shitposter without exception. The chat thread where Winson handed over modding to Ettin, Ettin also gave Plutonis permission to post in the chat threads again - with the understanding Plutonis was being watched and would be probated for shitposting if he did it again. Plutonis does a little shitposting but nothing really terrible, gets tapped on the nose but nothing big.

A month or so later, Plutonis jumps in and makes the next chat thread. That's fine. Then he starts shitposting up a storm and Ettin probates him for it. He gets mad, yells about how nobody in Trad Games wants him, and shitposts a lot more. Then he goes and whines about he's oppressed in QCS, to the point of comparing his "oppression" by the TG people to Rosa Parks. Like him getting probated for six hours was literally equivalent to the treatment of black people in America, apparently. He says he'll never post in Trad Games again, closes his chat thread, and stops.

As you may also be aware, TG has a number of IRC channels. Plutonis over the last year and change has systematically been kicked out of all of them by being an insulting bigot to others and being "ironically" oppressive in a variety of ways. #Persona was the last major one he was removed from, after he insulted an op's gay identity to their face. poo poo like that. Plutonis was also in a number of smaller channels for specific games, one of which I am channel admin in. He hops in one day and starts being homophobic and I've had enough of his poo poo, so I kickban him.

Then he goes way off the handle.

Here's what he said:

pre:
<Plutonis> but hey it's cool, considering you and your gang never answer 
or even recognize any sincere criticism that i make, you wonder why there's trolling
<Plutonis> good loving luck. if you and ettin want to bring me down, don't complain when i fight back
<Plutonis> watch your loving back
<Plutonis> you can find a lot of stuff online
So yeah, Plutonis is literally the mad child angry he's facing consequences for being an idiot little poo poo. And now he's back! And he should just go away before we all laugh in his face again.

Holy poo poo. :stonk:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Anyone here play Pathfinder?

I hear it's popular in Imp Zone.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Funny how within minutes of somebody saying anything about plutonis, there's always someone to defend him who never posts in trad games otherwise (except effectronica)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

neongrey posted:

I bet you have a black friend, too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

It's good to attract new posters, or else a forum becomes stagnant.

Here's a good question: How many RPG books/pdfs do you guys own that you've never played? I'm embarrassed to check how many I have (I blame Bundle of Holding), but I know there's plenty of obscure games I've wanted to try.

I consider myself somewhat fortunate that my irl collection could never be too big due to space and travel concerns. but I've got maybe 20 total books split over a half dozen systems.

I've got somewhere around 30-40 GB of nothing but RPG pdfs though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Widestancer posted:

Dammit now I really want to play more trad games and I kinda wanna post here more gently caress

Davin kind of nailed it. Be nice, be welcome!

Also, We have lots of threads dedicated to various systems, so if y'all are curious about a game but want to ask questions before dropping cash. I recommend hitting them up.

E: or just asking in here, this is the chat thread and all.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 23, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TurninTrix posted:

Also curious about this, though I'm looking for one with a more military sci-fi bent like Mass Effect. I know about Trinity, though I'm wondering if there's anything else out there.

I'm probably a long way out from having anything playtestable, but I am literally working on a Powered by the Apocalypse game just like this.

Other than that, there's The Regiment Which is a slightly crunchier tactical pbta game, more specifically they have a Aliens Colonial Marine supplement that you can probably work with.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

That's fine and legit, I think. But it makes it kind of hard to start a Dungeon World game.

Totally, the best thing for DW imo is to find willing friends who have never played an RPG and start them on dungeon world.
Some folks just have terminal cases of the D&Ds.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Also anyone with more in depth questions, or looking for specific Dungeon World advice should totally check out the DW thread

Even if you don't need or want advice, the OP is awesome and has a fuckton of resources,classes,etc.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Alouicious posted:

Dungeon World is actually quite bad and should not be played regardless of knowledge level.

A bad post.
Shameful

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Real talk, it's pretty lightweight and some people honestly prefer some more crunch than it offers.

It's still a drat good game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I really don't understand why it still uses ability scores instead of just +/- 1-3.

Much like 13th Age, most of DW's bad parts come from being an homage to D&D. :v:

This is pretty true, but not at all a reason to not play.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It's why, increasingly as I get older I prefer play by post/chat.

I can be a terrible nerd and a responsible adult at the same time!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Impermanent posted:

The only thing that makes this hobby bearable is the rich irony of stupid jackasses clinging to some of the most demonstrably badly designed systems using words they took from Lovecraft as a way to prove their intellectual worth.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I wonder how many of his fans were monitoring my skarka is an asshat about ferguson G+ post about him that got necro'd and those got posted.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Who is Lakim again?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Oh...that guy. I always forget his name.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kellsterik posted:

I'm on a martial arts kick lately after reading some Jin Yong. What good wuxia related tradgames should I look into?

Legend of the 5 rings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As pioneers (of a sort) I have to put almost anything World of Darkness out there.
Yes, the system has flaws, yes the setting is goofy and incoherent, and oh god the layout and editing issues.

But, pound for pound I think they're excellent examples of what to do as well as what not to do (even in the same book).

• Locked thread