Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Arivia posted:

What's the difference between the d20 license and the OGL? What do you lose by not adhering to the former?
D20 license allowed you to use D20 branding and logos, in exchange for agreeing to some additional restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yawgmoth posted:

I have a staunch "no lifetime memberships ever" policy and that is why. Every single company I have seen that offers a lifetime subscription of any kind has folded faster than Superman on laundry day. I have a couple friends who bought into that for some MMO, I wanna say it was called Hellgate? Total WoW/D2 ripoff from what I saw of it. I think they got almost half of their "lifetime member" value in game time before the company folded.
Offering a "lifetime membership" of any kind is almost always a sign that a company is in trouble and needs money NOW.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

moths posted:

The thing of it is that the PA guys have kinda always been assholes. Dickwolves was just the first time that there was enough pushback to force an appology and the pretense of personal growth.

They're corporate shills doing what they're best at. And that's not going well because nobody is paying attention to them anymore.

Did they even say boo about gamergate?
Jerry (Tycho) poked his head up and took a bold stand on death threats (he's against them - no matter who is making them!) but otherwise AFAIK they've kept radio silence on the matter.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

grassy gnoll posted:

Conversely, Australians are a crude and belligerent race that birth themselves by fighting their way out of their mothers' wombs, a la Alien.
When Mad Max II: The Road Warrior debuted in America in the early 1980s, most Americans believed it to be a documentary.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FastestGunAlive posted:

Any good recommendations for a solid all around miniature podcast?
I wasn't aware they came in different sizes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kemper Boyd posted:

Someone said somewhere that writing 90% of something is the easy part and the last 10% is the hard part.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time
The last 10% of a projects takes another 90% of the time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

Anima is an anime RPG for people who look at HERO and go "man, if only there was something more complicated out there."
Isn't the system someone's half-finished Rolemaster house rules, run through Google Translate two or three times?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Skarka's a mediocrity, but he has been designing and publishing games and running his own game companies for almost 20 years. Something must be very, very wrong in his life for FW to descend into Billy's First Fantasy Heartbreaker territory like this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pity party at Skarka's place!

Get off the cross, Gareth, someone else could really use the wood.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It wasn't until some nerds made fun of my lovely, years-late, x-but-with-y genre mashup game that I really understood where Malcolm X was coming from.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The original Delta Green might be my favorite setting book of all time. All killer, no filler.

Robin Laws' GURPS Fantasy II: The Mad Lands is a work of art (and pretty easy to de-GURPSify).

The recent two-volume giant Guide To Glorantha is the most comprehensive and amazing setting book, but it's pretty heavy lifting (literally) if you're not already familiar with the world setting.

Six-Guns and Sorcery for Castle Falkenstein does weird west/mythic americana in a single volume better than the entire publishing line of Deadlands put together.

Not quite a setting book, but deserving of mention: The Great Pendragon Campaign, which is also one of my four favorite adventures/campaigns (along with Masks of Nyarlathotep, The Traveller Adventure, and Me and My Shadow Mk. IV for Paranoia).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there any reasonable way to acquire the Spherewalker's book or Everway?
That depends.

How rare and in-demand is your blood type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Maxwell Lord posted:

They were actually a little ahead of the curve on the whole zombie craze, the game came out in '99 or 2000 I believe.
RPGs do have a certain ability to get ahead of the pop/nerd culture curve. The fusty old wargamers at GDW managed it twice, incredibly enough: Dark Conspiracy pre-dated the X-Files by several years, and Space:1889 was doing steampunk back in 1988.

• Locked thread