Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Wasn't about slavery" is something you're going to probably still hear from someone with a Confederate flag on their pickup truck. And you still see a lot of those loving flags.

I'd like to print out a bunch of white rectangle stickers captioned "Surrender Flag of the Confederacy" and slap them over those license plates, but I like not getting beaten to death more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah the other side of the internet is that it's easier to find disinformation to support your fictional narrative and surround yourself with those who share it.

Imagine if the D&D Next "playtest" had consequences beyond producing a mediocre RPG, and then imagine those people are dictating the content of the nation's textbooks because they rule Texas.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Hobbit is the first time I've wanted a collector's edition that tosses out 3/4 of the theatrical material.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Libertad! posted:

Meaning that this intricate mini-game is the GM playing with himself while the players sit around the table doing nothing.

Seriously, what's the point even going into all those rules when a simple narrative fiat would do?

I firmly believe that the vast bulk of 3.x content is designed as codified bedtime reading, never intended to see use. People "play" it like the deckbuilding half of a ccg.

With this, at least the DM gets to roll some dice to find out what "really happens" (before applying his veto / fiat.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This also ignores the fantasy aspect, which is (I assume) a draw for many players. While it might be interesting to include outside forces that constrain a character's agency, the reason people are sitting down to play is to engage in fantasy activity that's otherwise impossible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Meinberg posted:

One of the games that I playtested, Faded Age, was actual pretty neat for the idea of exploring agency. Rather than playing the individuals in the world, you play the forces acting upon them. That way, the players still have a degree of control and input and power, but it demonstrates the effect that the exercise of that privilige has on the people of the world.

How did this work? I'm picturing a character sheet for generational poverty and rolling a D20 to poo poo on NPCs' lives and dreams. While priviliged NPCs have a higher Wealth AC or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

... This is a fiction-focused freeform game and you have to work with these guidelines to make what you want to make fit within the game"

Just like D&D has always been*!

*To people who didn't read the rules

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's been nearly a year since Krahulik's New Year's resolution and I haven't heard of any more PR disasters out of Penny Arcade.

I attribute this mostly to not hearing much of anything out of PA lately.

But if you really want to talk yourself out of PAX, remind yourself it's primarily a video game expo. Save your money and vacation days for Origins or Gencon. Or a few cool local cons if you're lucky!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The thing of it is that the PA guys have kinda always been assholes. Dickwolves was just the first time that there was enough pushback to force an appology and the pretense of personal growth.

They're corporate shills doing what they're best at. And that's not going well because nobody is paying attention to them anymore.

Did they even say boo about gamergate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just realized that "rpgpundit" becomes "repugnant" when you try to pronounce it phonetically.

That makes me smile.

• Locked thread