Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I've been to two and the only real difference was attendance and a lack of table chat. Bring your A-Game and don't be afraid to call for a judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

Avery offered two primary examples of the older, colonialist style of play. First, you have your basic OSR style of game, where the characters go places, kill things, and gain property, in the form of wealth, land, and people, in a linear progression towards greater power. Second, she called out Apocalypse World for its focus on the characters having continual agency. The characters always are in charge of their own actions as decided by their players, and that is reflected in the nature of the moves. Julia Ellingboe contrasted that with her own experiences as a black woman, saying "when bad things happen around me, I don't get to choose what I do."

Both of these systems exemplify the libertarian ideal of the self-motivated man, of people who always remain control of their agency and impose that agency on the world. In contrast, Avery talked about a game, whose name I can't recall sadly, where instead of saying what the character did, the player describes the processes acting on the character and asks other players at the table what the character does.

Avery is a smart woman and she's mostly right, but I want to slice apart the middle of this. She seems to be conflating the player agency on the world with the agency over actions. Agency over one's own actions in the face of uncontrollable adversity is a supremely minority perspective - see Dr. King's writings on how black Americans should react to oppression. Apocalypse World specifically is patriarchal and colonialist as gently caress, but there's nothing in the PbtA system that allows you agency over your character that is either of those two things. I mean, this is one of the core themes of Monsterhearts: you get to decide what your character does inside the limitations of what is emotionally possible. Everything else happens to you.

Also, there is an important distinction between a player's agency over the world (cooperative world creation, distributed decision resolution, and the like) and a character's agency over the world (the ability to decide what happens to a character and what she does). Extremes of each pull in opposite directions between egalitarian and oppressive.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meinberg posted:

I'm going off of my own memory and perhaps insufficient notes here, so I may not be representing her position with perfect clarity. She recently put up a post on google+ to expand on some of the ideas that she discussed on Metatopia. I'm going through it now, and I think it's a great read for anyone trying to bring queer themes into gaming.

This is a great post :) I wasn't aiming to throw a pillow at you so much as start a discussion. Maybe I should frequent Google Plus more.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

PAX really turns me off because of the scramble for passes. I had fun the year I went, but not that much fun. It's like some sort of Burning Man for nerds.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

FMguru posted:

Jerry (Tycho) poked his head up and took a bold stand on death threats (he's against them - no matter who is making them!) but otherwise AFAIK they've kept radio silence on the matter.

To be fair, even the slightest brush with Gamergate is pretty much a PR disaster no matter how you do it.

But remember folks, it's about ethics in game journalism.

Libertad! posted:

Oh I can imagine the conversation now: "The Nazis were just misunderstood, guys! They were liberty-loving small government advocates all along!"

I know that this kind of bullshit is a problem in Libertarian circles, but it still weirds me out every time I see it because if there's any government which represents the nightmarish excesses of Big Government, it would be the Third Reich.

Libertarianism is fascism at heart. Libertarians want their absolute view of the universe to be enforced as a modern-day divine rational right of kings the people. "Anarcho-capitalism" as they describe it is pretty much just White Guys Win.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

For reference, you should be looking at threads like this or this.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

FMguru posted:

When Mad Max II: The Road Warrior debuted in America in the early 1980s, most Americans believed it to be a documentary.

Wait, it isn't?

Edit: is it some kind of mockumentary then?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Now I have a burning desire for a full-on PbtA private school game. More Gossip Girl, less Sailor Schoolgirl.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Since we're talking about Ewen's games, Slime Story seems really fun. It's a fun modern scratch for the monster-slaying adventure itch, has a tactical element, and doesn't take itself too seriously. I might throw together a PbP.

http://yarukizerogames.com/my-games/slime-story/

I want firearm rules though, damnit. Rangers should be able to scrap with shotguns.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Libertad! posted:

In the Dungeon World thread someone mentioned that the game is not optimized for Play-by-Post. In fact, a lot of table-top RPGs seem this way: Pathfinder in particular would take forever if you played combat straight.

So, what games work best in a PbP format?

PbtA games seem to work really well for PbP because there's no turn order. It really rewards participation without punishing people who are out of time zone or don't have the free time to post several times a day.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Are the tactical elements and action economy staying in Slime Story? I really enjoy those.

Also, is this a will-have-playtest-ready-soon rework? Or should I try out these rules and go from there?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ewen Cluney posted:

I want to salvage Slime Story's combat system for use in something else basically. It's a fun combat mini-game, but it's a big distraction from trying to tell stories about teenage drama with monster hunting added. It's going to take a good while though, especially with everything I've got on my plate.

Oh. I suppose I look at the game the other way: it's monster hunting with teenage drama added. Your PbtA hack sounds really fun. It should have an optional tactical system even if it's just for important fights - like how Apocalypse World does it.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 17, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mors Rattus posted:

Huh. Always wondered what 'cultural marxist' actually meant. As far as I could tell it was just a string of angry nonsense.

It means "this person is challenging my right, as a straight white man in America, to say whatever I want without concern for the feelings or struggles of others."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

A Spider Covets posted:

Going to learn how to play my first trad game this winter and I am so stoked hell yea. 13th Age here I come.

Hopefully my idiot mathbrain won't suffer too much. what are numbers

Any broadstroke-type tips for a noob?

Gaming is just comparison, addition, and subtraction. For bonus points you might be asked to divide or multiply. Don't stress it.

13th Age is a pretty cool D&D. Ask questions, make mistakes, get into it, be kickass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Not to get down on anyone who backed it, but even the concepts behind Far West are pretty terrible. It's THE OLD WEST with KUNG FU. Westerns are about gunfighting and law and order, which totally fits with hand-to-hand combat and strong concepts of honor and history because oh God I am so loving high right now.

Also let's have a genre based on the aftermath of a war about racial issues intersect with a genre that is basically about cultural stereotypes.

• Locked thread