Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

"Apologies users, this experience isn't available in your country."

Europe always gets the cooler AC marketing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kuiperdolin posted:

A legitimately cool website : http://www.assassinscreedrogue.com/

lol about half the internets thinks the mentally ill guy standing in the way deserved to die :catstare:.

Which one is he?

Orv
May 4, 2011

macnbc posted:

"Apologies users, this experience isn't available in your country."

Europe always gets the cooler AC marketing. :(

Because apparently Ubisoft has just decided to make their "We're big boy distributors" move now, pulling all their games from Steam and forcing people to get them on UPlay. I hope you preordered on Steam.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Which one is he?

Dante Moro in Venice.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Orv posted:

Because apparently Ubisoft has just decided to make their "We're big boy distributors" move now, pulling all their games from Steam and forcing people to get them on UPlay. I hope you preordered on Steam.
They're not pulling all of their games (at least not yet), just Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew. Their store pages are gone.

I was planning to pick up Unity when it goes on sale on Steam, but I guess not. If it's a UPlay exclusive, I'm not even going to bother.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Orv posted:

Ha ha. No way. Looks like just Unity got pulled.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
You guys realize that you still need to launch Ubisoft games from uPlay even if you buy them on Steam, right?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I've fully entered "counting down the hours until release uggggh waiting sucks" mode for these games. Why am I such a sucker for them?

I'm going to play Unity first, since it's done with newer tech and I'm excited to try a lot of the stuff they added to it, but it's going to be hard waiting to play Rogue. Hoping like hell that Adewale gets to meet Haytham before Shay inevitably kills him.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jonad posted:

You guys realize that you still need to launch Ubisoft games from uPlay even if you buy them on Steam, right?

You'll probably never pay anything but full price for a game on Uplay.

Edit: they're already pulling the same poo poo that places like EA do by telling you that the standard price of £39.99 is actually a marked down "discount" on the £49.99 that they claim is the RRP (note the RRP is just some bullshit price they make up).

I don't think i've ever seen a PC game cost £50. poo poo, even Diablo 3 only cost £40 at launch.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 6, 2014

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kin posted:

You'll probably never pay anything but full price for a game on Uplay.

That's not true, they do sales and older games get cheaper.

Still more expensive than steam but whatever, games are a cheap hobby anyway.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jonad posted:

Yes, however I always preferred getting uplay games through Steam cause Steam does a better job of patching games than Uplay.

Ahhhh the nightmarish future where every publisher has their own store is finally coming to fruition.
:smith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Snuffman posted:

Yes, however I always preferred getting uplay games through Steam cause Steam does a better job of patching games than Uplay.
Yeah, this. I also wanted to buy the game from a Steam sale because I don't expect UPlay to give us a half-decent discount anytime soon. I guess there's always GreenManGaming.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

GreenManGaming had a nice discount code for 23% off recently bringing Unity down to $46ish. Keep an eye out, I'm sure they'll do something like that again soon.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Noirex posted:

GreenManGaming had a nice discount code for 23% off recently bringing Unity down to $46ish. Keep an eye out, I'm sure they'll do something like that again soon.

That's nice for you. Just a shame that the same discount brings the game to £38.49 in the UK, which is about the normal price for a brand new non discounted PC game. GMG :rolleyes:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Lol ubisoft and anyone who is a fan of their terrible games. Only good thing they've done recently was Rayman on the Wii U, and they tried to gently caress that up.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orv posted:

I preordered via Amazon for some weird no-name platform called Playstation, so no digital distribution drama for me!

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

OH NO MAN posted:

They're not pulling all of their games (at least not yet), just Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew. Their store pages are gone.

I was planning to pick up Unity when it goes on sale on Steam, but I guess not. If it's a UPlay exclusive, I'm not even going to bother.
I preordered rear end Creed Unity via Steam in Germany and I can't access the store page for it anymore. There better be a good explanation for this.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 7, 2014

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Lollerich posted:

I preordered rear end Creed Unity via Steam in Germany and I can't access the store page for it anymore. There better be a good explanation for this.

It's gone in the US now too.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

BabelFish posted:

It's gone in the US now too.
Yeah I just read it's gone pretty much all over the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Orv posted:

It's almost certainly a disagreement with whoever gets the cut from IAPs/DLC.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
This just gives Ubisoft another chance to say 90% pc games are pirated and don't sell well

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume that if you preordered, you will get the game through Steam as usual. It's still in my game list.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Blister posted:

This just gives Ubisoft another chance to say 90% pc games are pirated and don't sell well

Bingo. They'll be whining about it come January.

I have to thank them in a way since I'll be saving money in the long run on both Unity and Far Cry 4.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Still in my library though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm surprised there are people who aren't into the time anomalies, people are always talking about their dream time periods to have a game set in, they introduce a mechanic in which you get to see different eras of assassin gameplay including getting a chance to see what a WWII assassin was like, and people are upset about that for some reason. I mean, every AC has had things that bring it down, but at times it seems like people are looking for things with which to find fault, by hook or by crook.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Beeez posted:

I'm surprised there are people who aren't into the time anomalies, people are always talking about their dream time periods to have a game set in, they introduce a mechanic in which you get to see different eras of assassin gameplay including getting a chance to see what a WWII assassin was like, and people are upset about that for some reason. I mean, every AC has had things that bring it down, but at times it seems like people are looking for things with which to find fault, by hook or by crook.

It also increases the odds of me getting to bring a machine gun into Revolutionary France.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure the time anomaly is just going to be "Here's the Eiffel Tower, kill planes on it" with a smattering of talky bits around it, nothing spectacular.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Orv posted:

I'm pretty sure the time anomaly is just going to be "Here's the Eiffel Tower, kill planes on it" with a smattering of talky bits around it, nothing spectacular.

Yeah, it stinks of "here's a mission prompt where the Eiffel Tower's gonna be in a couple of years. Press X to have an instance of you having to climb it and shoot down a german plane. Here's your rank and reward, now here's some more mission markers thrown into your map to do more stuff like that at your leisure."

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, it stinks of "here's a mission prompt where the Eiffel Tower's gonna be in a couple of years. Press X to have an instance of you having to climb it and shoot down a german plane. Here's your rank and reward, now here's some more mission markers thrown into your map to do more stuff like that at your leisure."

It does make me wonder how deep they'll go with it. Like is it a one-off? Will there be others like it? Will they all be WW2 or will there be one in WW1 and the Roman Empire and one where you're fighting dinosaurs or something?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Honestly the way the trailer presented it I thought it had suddenly gone into a parody of gaming for a few moments, but then I realized it was being earnest.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

Honestly the way the trailer presented it I thought it had suddenly gone into a parody of gaming for a few moments, but then I realized it was being earnest.
Honestly, the way anime is hopelessly mired in self-parody, I assume games will be too since they have a similar market segment.

edit: I guess not games in general, but I'm pretty sure AC targets more or less the same group that plays Call of Duty games and so on.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 7, 2014

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I preordered and Unity is still in my steam list as well. Is there any precedent for how this is going to be handled? Will we still get the game, have it be supported with patches and content (like Freedom Cry, etc), or is the smart money on getting a refund in Gabe Bux and just buying it again on uPlay?

I'm a huge fan of rear end Creed and this whole situation really annoys me, actually. That'll sure teach me to give my money to game devs! :v:

edit: Just tried to find the refund option and apparently that's disabled, too.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 7, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Daily Forecast posted:

I preordered and Unity is still in my steam list as well. Is there any precedent for how this is going to be handled? Will we still get the game, have it be supported with patches and content (like Freedom Cry, etc), or is the smart money on getting a refund in Gabe Bux and just buying it again on uPlay?

I'm a huge fan of rear end Creed and this whole situation really annoys me, actually. That'll sure teach me to give my money to game devs! :v:

There is precedent in games being removed from Steam but remaining in libraries for anyone who bought them. Fable 3 is an example that I happen to own (E: And also Mafia 1). I believe The Movies and the Godfather games used to be on Steam but aren't anymore.

But the difference here is these are games that aren't even out yet, rather than games that have run the course of their live span, so who the gently caress knows.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 7, 2014

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Well, here we go, from the Unity steam forum thing: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/620696522069995169/

quote:

From Ubisoft Support:
"We are aware of the issue regarding Steam and the pre-orders and are currently working on a resolution. Updates will be provided on forums and support.ubi.com. Thank you very much for your patience!"

quote:

Go into a Ubi live chat with their support or open a ticket. Thats the copy/paste reply they're giving. I dont think its been posted publicly by an employee on their forums yet.

So if we're lucky this is all just a HILARIOUS misunderstanding!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

The Crew for sure does, wouldn't be terribly surprised if the others did.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
For those complaining about price, you can still get Unity on Nuuvem for 129 Brazilian moon dollars which is about 30 pounds/40 euro/50 USD.

Yeah it's not a Steam key, but it's cheaper than direct from uPlay.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I actually read (not sure how credible the source was) that Unity is gonna have microtransactions. A lot of loving nerve to do that after charging $60/$90 for a game. At this point I'm kind of wanting a refund just on principle.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

Confusing though...AC3 and AC4 had IAP in the multiplayer.

Probably don't want to give Valve a cut.

EDIT: Seems like they're just taking the above system and applying it to single player? Not terribly cool IMHO.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

webmeister posted:

For those complaining about price, you can still get Unity on Nuuvem for 129 Brazilian moon dollars which is about 30 pounds/40 euro/50 USD.

Yeah it's not a Steam key, but it's cheaper than direct from uPlay.

Really, if you're gonna go Nuuvem (And why shouldn't you if they're gonna pull out of Steam?), go Gold edition and still pay less than the standard edition release. $58.50 or so for a $90 purchase.

• Locked thread