Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jonad posted:

You guys realize that you still need to launch Ubisoft games from uPlay even if you buy them on Steam, right?

You'll probably never pay anything but full price for a game on Uplay.

Edit: they're already pulling the same poo poo that places like EA do by telling you that the standard price of £39.99 is actually a marked down "discount" on the £49.99 that they claim is the RRP (note the RRP is just some bullshit price they make up).

I don't think i've ever seen a PC game cost £50. poo poo, even Diablo 3 only cost £40 at launch.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Noirex posted:

GreenManGaming had a nice discount code for 23% off recently bringing Unity down to $46ish. Keep an eye out, I'm sure they'll do something like that again soon.

That's nice for you. Just a shame that the same discount brings the game to £38.49 in the UK, which is about the normal price for a brand new non discounted PC game. GMG :rolleyes:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

macnbc posted:

None of the big sites have posted reviews of either game yet, but TheGamesCabin gets the first Unity review out of the gate, giving it an 8.8/10.

Yeah.....

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/assassins-creed-iii

I think i'll maybe give it a month.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So far Unity isn't really drawing me in. I've tweaked my settings so that it's stopped stuttering all over the place, but the whole intro to the assassins felt massively rushed, like too rushed.

I mean, i'm able to assassin climb to the top of the world even before i'm initiated into the Assassins which happens in just two cutscenes.

Then there's like a whole world open to me and it's just too loving much that hasn't been explained yet, this is in spite of my "mentor" (some guy i've briefly met in a prison) telling me he's taught me all he can.

No, no, you've not. Who are the red coat fuckers? What's this theatre/cafe? Who are the Templars that are all around me, who are my other assassin brothers?

I mean i get they're trying not to do a retread of 3 by having a super huge tutorial, but it's like there's been very little context so far and i'm now a guy who's angry at an organisation (Templars) because.... 2 father figures have been murdered and my childhood love is a templar and my second father figure was the Templar leader?

How does Arno even know who the Templars really are at this point never mind having the motivation to go gank them?

At least in AC2, there was build up and a competent introduction not only to who the current Templars were, but also why they were bastards who had to die, not only because of what they did to your family but what they were doing to the world. So far, not blown away by Unity.

Do i get to build my own assassin army later or something? That's the only way i think i could start to really enjoy this.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 15, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Did you actually read the riddle?

He probably couldn't what with maybe 10 popups coming up at the same time covering it up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I still find it gunny that basically every Assassin's creed (and DLC) since Brotherhood has been mediocre or poo poo and that the only exception is 4 because it's got a shallow pirate simulator in it that has little to do with any of the main type of gameplay that's been present in any of the other games in the franchise.

If AC4 was all on land, i have a strong feeling it would have been panned for being poo poo too.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Tracula posted:

It's just the perfect and untapped setting for the series.

You mean the next untapped fanservice genre period? We've done the Italian renaissance, we've done the American revolutionary war, we've done pirates of the Caribbean, we've done French revolution, what can we do in Japan now, Japan's popular, then maybe we can go to Germany during world war 1/2.

How about something a little more creative otherwise we're just going to get your typical Ubisoft lowest common denominator [popular theme] shite.

edit: apologies, forgot how many wars you guys have that the rest of the world doesn't give a poo poo about.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 20, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

bobjr posted:

It's weird, even though they want him alive to find stuff out from his ancestors, when he dies at the end of 3 they just roll in and get his body and are able to do the same thing.

That can be spun as them having to evolve the tech a little in order to let other people relive memories through someone's DNA.

Yeah, it undoes the importance of the main characters from the first games, but it could be spun that there was more tech in that place where Desmond died that allowed them to enhance the Animus to Helix.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

and 4 is one of if not the best

Only because it's barely got anything in common with any of the other games and because it's got a shallow sailing/pirate simulator in it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Tracula posted:

Interesting I've only talked to one person who outright disliked 4 because of the sailing, they were more interested in the story, climbing, etc than the games try at something vaguely different.

After an hour of playing it i could tell it was going to be the Ubisoft standard and that the next 14 hours of sailing were going to be filled with the exact same actions/animations i'd just seen. Then the novelty disappeared and the game became a slog.

I tend to think that the people who constantly sing the highest praises for 4 took longer to pick up on that, are in the "AC is still a good series" camp or are just so chuffed about being a 3rd person pirate with seamless land/ship/ship boarding that they're willing to swallow a lovely Ubisoft game based around it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. "The next (X) hours are going to be pretty much the same with minor variations" describes the huge bulk of open world games. They're generally more about immersion than strong core gameplay. If the specific gimmick works for you tends to be more important than anything and the pirate gimmick worked for a lot of people.

I get that repetition is a factor but usually there's a good deal of stuff that's repeatable. With AC 4, even the ship stuff felt really shallow.

There are only like 3 boarding/ship conquest types. Blowing a ship out of the water ends up being the exact same, ram em to death or get next to them and blow em up with the side canons, mortars.

Progressing through the game doesn't even increase the difficulty, you end up coming up against just 3 or 4 ship types that get more and more health and damage, nullified by you getting more health and damage causing the whole thing to just be the same all the way through. The only exceptions are the bonus special ships with "unique combat". If this unique combat is something that's reserved for special fights then there's something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

True, but at the same time there's a level of depth and complexity to the stuff in Shadow of Mordor and those other games that makes those areas of repetitiveness (the overall "endless combat" case in SoM) a lot less repetitive. In most of the games you mentioned, i wouldn't really say you've got ot "go out of your way" to overcome the repetitiveness, which is the thing that's different with AC4.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, i just got Unity for use with my new GTX 970, but i've hit what seems to be a constant bug/crash to desktop.

It happens when it's loading up Sequence 2, Memory 1, so the loading screen right after that guy is murdered at a party and you get pinched for it.

It's pretty consistant. Is there a specific fix for it? I've got all the graphics settings put up to max, is there one of those i need to switch off to get past it?

edit: ok, low settings/high settings, the same poo poo happens.

There's not much on google for this other than a few people having the same issue with pirated versions (mine is one that came with my graphics card).

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 29, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Patches are coming just let it sit I am in the exact same situation there's other pretty games to try out on the 970.

I did some more general googling and found a solution that works if yours is the EXACT same situation.

Go into your AC:U installation directory and search for every "exe" file.
Delete them.
Go to uplay and get it to verify the files.
Let it scan everything and download what it needs to.
The game should now load the bit it was crashing at.

I also amended the video file names slightly to skip all the intro vids. These were returned to normal with the validation but i'm not sure if they had any bearing on what was causing the crash. I've not tried to amend them again because i'm just been happy to get the game running once more.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, the game might run like rear end, but i have to admit that these co-op missions are actually quite well done. Even if we all look like the main character.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Al Harrington posted:

"sneak in and assassinate these two templars" *4 Arnos descend the rooftops with swords and axes in hand ravaging the land*

Is that why the first guys i was with in the co-op decided to bail when i accidentally set of an alarm and proceeded to simply slaughter everyone. Thankfully, the co-op doesn't seem to end if everyone else bails.

Also, i noticed that after i finished the mission the npc for it allowed me to set up a private version. Does that mean that once you've done it co-op online, you can re-run it as many times as you want solo?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, all the armour/weapons in the game.

Is it possible to get them all? I checked the prices of the most expensive gear and it's ridiculous. Have they designed it so that to get everything you basically need to buy helix points?

Also, there's too much choice here. Which is the best way to buy gear? Focus on Health/Stealth? Melee? Does it depend on the item type?

I loving hate games that have a bajillion different pieces of equipment that only marginally change poo poo like health/damage.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

OH NO MAN posted:

Yeah, buying equipment isn't really an issue. Upgrading it is another thing, though, because 10,000 Creed points to upgrade the highest tier stuff takes forever to grind. Also, nearly all the good stuff is locked behind club competition, which I guess wouldn't be a problem if the club stuff actually worked. :downs:

A lot of the Master tier equipment you can get is nearly as good as the Legendary gear (occasionally slightly better) and costs much less to upgrade, so I'm just rolling with that unless I need to tank with the legendary medieval armor.

Ah, i just noticed that the upgrades are yet another currency.

Talk about bullshit.

edit: Oh yeah, i placed a marker in the game via the companion app (pointing to an unlocked chest), but even though i collected the chest and removed the market from the app, the marker is still there on my screen in the main game. Is that pretty much there for good now or is there just some kind of delayed synch?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

And if you're really hurting for money you can do what I did do what complete losers do and stand in front of your income chest and alt-tab out of the game (don't pause it) while you browse the internet or do other things. Just tab back every once in a while to collect it.

I figure if i was that desperate for money i'd just use cheatengine or something to give me it instead.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Urgh, i swear this game actually had an alright framerate back when i started playing it but as i've progressively revealed more of the map it's getting more and more juddery.

Maybe that's the problem, maybe it's something as stupid as the more map you reveal, the more of the entire thing gets store in video memory until you run out and it starts to shudder at every conceivable point. I don't even know if that's how video memory works but i bet ubisoft probably found a way to make it work like that.

I'm in the skill upgrade menu and it grinds to a crawl :psyduck:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

So have patches for PC done anything to make unity worthwhile? I really like the setting and paris looks great but all the talk about bugs etc. make me kinda hesitant to spend 60 bucks on this..

Honestly? No.

I'm using a GTX 970 and the damned thing still stutters and freezes.

I don't know what voodooish combination of hardware they used when testing this to convince them it was ready for release, but it's not any combination that another human on the planet has.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

What settings do you have configured for the graphics on your 970's then? I've put everything up to max and i'm getting stuttering.

I also found a reddit post with some suggestions for tweaks to improve the performance on nvidea cards during cutscenes which worked well in the beginning but not so much any more.

I pretty much get some level of stuttering all over the place.

I suppose it could be my processor. I'm still currently on an i3 (an i5 is due soon).

edit: actually, these are the tweaks applied: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/624074858812666917/

Ok, i went in and dropped the Anti-aliasing options from the special Nvidea ones to SSAO and FXAA and now the game runs super super smooth.

I'm assuming I'll need a better CPU to handle the TXAA and whatever the other ambient occlusion setting is.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 3, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Did the initiates stuff just get fixed? A patch got rolled out for synch stuff on the mobile app and i noticed that my initiates level suddenly shot up to 8 because it finally picked up that i've finished all of the other games except 4.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The companion app has permanently handicapped me because one of my assassins's is allegedly "away" doing a non existant thing. He's got the little clock symbol thing on his icon but no timer. He's just there, taking up an extra slot. :/

Also the open combat in unity sucks and just highlights how terrible the gameplay is as soon as guns come into it. Trigger an alert and get swarmed by guards? Might as well just give up because they'll not only stunlock you to death but blast you with a hail of gunfire from off the sides of the screen where you can't even see them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Palpek posted:

I bought Rogue for $20, I can finally get my rear end Creed fix. I'll buy Unity when it's fixed (lol).

Where'd ya get it for $20?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, it turns out that quite a few bits of end game gear are locked behind the clubhouse bullshit. Is there a PC goon club or whatever i can join in order to at least have the chance of accessing these? I assume that once i'm in a club there'll be some kind of forced co-op based activity?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, I'm part way through memory sequence 9 in Unity and is it just me or does almost none of the main game take part in the southern part of the map? Or is that about to dramatically change during the last 3 memory sequences?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok Ubisoft, gently caress you.

Unity just crashed. I'm on chapter 10 and have about 50% completion because i've collected everything except the locked chests in the north part of the city with upwards of 10 hours on the loving thing.

The crash has wiped my save. Ubisoft is unable to load a save from the cloud for some reason. Loading the local save (which says it was made 5 minutes ago, just prior to the crash) does nothing. The companion app says there's no progress data. It's all just loving gone.

I'm done with this piece of poo poo.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

^^ This guy knows what's up. Been playing since day 1, and the poor framerates were pretty bothersome but the game itself has always been really fun. Story's a little weak but who even loving cares, videogames, story, pick one. Now that the AMD drivers made the game very smooth, the game has gone from 'annoying to play but still fun' to 'loving excellent'.

Plus, I'm getting Far Cry 4 for free.

What a total waste of money, all that fun I've had with this game has not been real fun at all, silly me!

edit: Plus, I think Ubisoft has done a hell of a job of making it up to the playerbase for this whole mess, especially to those who had preordered. A free, brand new, sixty dollar game for a $30 pass is a huge offering that I hadn't seen before, and free $20 DLC to everyone who purchased the game is Ubisoft pretty much setting a match to a ton of money. I'm sure it's less about good will and more about wanting to win back some loyalty so they can actually sell future games, but I think the way that Ubisoft has handled this whole thing (they'll have pretty much completely fixed the game in a little over a month, which is lightning speed all things considered) plus all the free stuff is a pretty class act.

It actually reminds me of how Square Enix handled the fiasco that was FFXIV. Ubisoft has been and still remains one of my favorite game developers.

I'll probably also be preordering AC Victory, and I will think of you when I do it. :shepspends:

Wait, the Dead Kings DLC is free now?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

KittySpinEcho posted:

I pre-ordered this game and played it briefly when it came out. I figured I'd give them some time to do some patching and fix some of the bugs, so I put it on the back burner. One thing that they haven't seemed to fix yet is the list of members in the goon club... There are 47 members and they all have the same name as me, that's strange. Does anyone actually play this in multiplayer? Pubbies are terrible and they either just rush in or immediately leave the game session.

There are minimal drawback to rushing in other than if you're planning on grabbing the synch points; which you can casually do while others run in and rush things if you really want.

In fact, with 4 people rushing in, it becomes ridiculously easy as you mow down armies of enemies who's only real defence is the ability to counter anything from in front of them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Urgh, Unity just has too much poo poo in it. Like, far too many collectibles for it to even be enjoyable anymore.

I've finished the single player campaign with it's [spoiler]let's make the whole plot pointless[spoiler] ending and i've collected everything in the northern half of the map and have done most of the co-op missions.

The rift missions are pretty shite so i'm mostly just in it now to level up that initiates thing and finish the co-op missions.

I've decided the combat is completely untested and lovely because you constantly get locked into "finishers" that leave you open for enemy attacks. The enemies can stunlock you to death in open combat towards the end of the game and will be un-attackable unless you can pull off the knockdown move which you can't do if they're stunlocking you.

It's a pretty game, but gently caress me it really needed a room full of people to test and feedback on this poo poo instead of relying on their "rate this mission" public play-testing system.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm not sure if I understand the complaint of 'this game has too much to do, I hate getting my money's worth'.

A game being excessively padded with a bajillion useless collectables that are sometimes awkward and irritating to get (how the gently caress do i get into this building x 50) is no where near "getting my money's worth".

Then there's the companion chests, the initiate's chests, the god damned shields, getting all of the synch points in order to get all of your abilities, collecting the intel in the gift missions, those cockades, the secret armor, all the weapons/gear and so on. You have to be a special kind of stupid if you want to actually get 100% in this game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm done with unity. Got to that second last co-op mission and had it ask me to do some ridiculous parkour challenge before crashing to desktop when i finally had a handle on it after 5 or so tries.. gently caress that noise and gently caress this game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I un-installed unity before the latest patch. Does it still freeze up when some npc based things have to be done (i.e like the random events loading in or more npcs have to be loaded).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Has anyone else been able to log into initiates since they released the latest patch? I've not had any luck.

Also what's the goon clan for the PC crowd? I found some [goon] tagged club but it had like 1 member which seems odd. Looking to join it as remnantkin.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

[SAAC]

Hopefully still in first place in the club competition.

Haven't had much an issue with initiates at all?

Are you trying to get into it from in game or browser?

Cheers, i'll apply this afternoon.

Trying to log into initiates from a browser. I've done it before just fine, but now after I log in it tries to synch for a while before giving me an error and kicking me back out to the login screen.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest, I don't get why Ubisoft isn't embracing the Historical Assassin Superhero thing they were going for before. They basically ended up unintentionally creating a franchise where you were historical Batman and each game ended up being about tracking down wacky items that give you superpowers. Just embrace that poo poo already. If you're running around in ancient Mayan bulletproof armor trying to track down mind control alien artifacts, you've already gone outside of realism. Enjoy that poo poo and base the mechanics around it instead of trying frantically to try to go back to realism when you're never going to pull it off.

Brotherhood was one of the better games because they kinda wholeheartedly embraced the Magic Artifacts + Computer Simulation = Wacky Fun poo poo and you got to ride a unicorn and pilot a tank and play as Raiden.

2 also had the benefit of having that Assassin Army building simulator in it that's never truly been brought back to the series. It helped the game feel like it had progress with a great reward at the end of it (especially when combined with the city purchasing/rebuilding system) while all of the others have just focused on the standard lovely AC gameplay, with the exception of 4 that focused on being a pirate.

The thing is, Ubisoft have kept the whole development progress mechanics in the games in some way or another but they've been implemented really badly. The homestead in 3 was a interesting concept but a chore in practicality. The "base" in 4 was a waste of money. The cafe in Unity only served to give you enough money to bypass the lovely money grind for all of the items in the game.

Like in Unity, if Paris is supposed to be an assassin stuffed city, there could have been a "call for backup" system that worked like the one in Brotherhood. Like do missions in the assassin houses you buy and get more assassin buddies that owe you a favour in that district or something. Then have the option to dump money into the place to upgrade the weapons/gear stored there to then allow you assassin buddies to "level up" and be more effective when you whistle them in.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

2 didn't have that. It was something that started in Brotherhood, and present in Revelations, and 3.

Unless you mean the way that they tried to give Desmond a crash course in being an assassin by being Ezio, but that sort of bled over into the the MP and ended up being a bad idea in the SP canon because of various bullshit psychological after effects that was the excuse for Revelations.

I think it's obvious I meant Brotherhood.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

You might want to play Revelations and 3 then, because it's in there.

Thematically it doesn't work well in Unity, because in Brotherhood/Revelations/3 you're the grandmaster who is actively rebuilding/strengthening the Brotherhood.

You're not that guy in Unity, at least until sometime after the story actually ends. By all accounts you're very close to Ezio in 2, someone who is on the periphery of the brotherhood and doesn't really become a full member until he tames his personal demons.

Did you even read what I wrote after your rush to correct my mistake of writing "2" instead of "brotherhood"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hallowed posted:

Quick Question:

Just done the second main assassination misson - I loved the first, particularly the fact it had a unique finisher that I had to unlock. So the second made me worry when at the beginning there was no mention of a unique kill - I did lots of the optional stuff, starting a riot and filling the tunnels with smoke, but at the end it still forced me in combat. After the 'sandbox' style of the assassinations the game makers have been boasting about I found this a little worrying. Is this just a one off, or do the 'sandbox' missions continue to force you into situations regardless of how you play?

The latter, unless i missed them too.

Most of the "optional" stuff simply seemed to be ways to create openings to let you sneak by guards or there was an optional environmental object you could interact with to kill the target rather than shanking them.

• Locked thread