Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Some new leaked images and a new video:

https://imgur.com/a/HuUt3

https://mega.co.nz/#!BwZxgDYK!PqZQf9dnHRdgGEE2M2N_bMZ0RKkTevwQRw9s-ufn1mAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Tgent posted:

Those images look blurry as hell. Is that a result of it being 900p?

There's a ton of debate over at NeoGAF about this - they think this is another watch_dogsgate situation where the trailers and previews are much nicer than the real thing. The blurriness might be caused by the upscaling from 900p or it just might be Ubisoft sacrificing texture quality for the scale in the game. Also there's jarring pop-in where NPC models radically switch their look when going from low-res to high-res. Still, could look better at PC.

More leak videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5l6BQiGleU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQTc0EoHa4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcJuMp5CVd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWccF10uF5g

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Noirex posted:

I'm excited about how most (or every?) building's interior are actually created and so Arno can move in and out of them seamlessly. It's pretty much what I wanted since the first game.

Sadly, it's not most interiors. I think they said you can enter 20% of the buildings in the game. Still much more than other open world games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

macnbc posted:

Yeah, the only way I can see them making EVERY building in the whole city able to be entered is if they went to procedural creation, which would inevitably be poo poo.

They are using some procedural techniques in ACU, with hand-tweaking afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGA0WZLp_08&t=304s

Though I really would like to see an open world game where you can enter every room in every building, even though it will be a lot of samey rooms.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yeah the stories are in different parts of the world and in different time periods so order isn't important.

Also, free AC Unity DLC: http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/2lf38l/free_unity_dlc/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The entire Unity soundtrack is on Spotify. (Or at least two full CDs)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Most people feel Kenway didn't deserve to die. I guess mostly because if he had continued to be the main character of AC3 instead of Bland Whatshisface, it might have been a much better game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I assume that if you preordered, you will get the game through Steam as usual. It's still in my game list.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
From NeoGAF:

quote:

There are actually three currencies:

HELIX points: Bought with real money. They can be spent on time-saver packs and something called "hackable features". Can't see what these are as the servers aren't up yet.

CREED POINTS: Gained through AC actions (kills, vanishing, objectives). These are spent on new weapons and clothes.

SYNC POINTS: Not sure how you get these, but you use them to unlock new abilities. Most of the standard moveset is now hidden behind an upgrade requirement. Many of them require a specific point in the story to be reached before you can unlock them.

As you might as guessed, the game has an insane number of bars to fill.

I spotted some "premium boosters" which make you harder to detect amongst other things. I suspect these are bought with Helix points, but I'm not sure right now. I was rather overwhelmed with the sheer amount of junk being thrown at me, if I'm honest!

I guess this is why they got removed from Steam.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
There's this live thing now: http://www.twitch.tv/assassinscreed

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Singleplayer gameplay was much better as far as I could tell. Mostly because it didn't have four dudes trying to out-LeeroyJenkins each other.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Welp.

(Companion app)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The game runs surprisingly OK (20-30fps) with my 3GB 7870HD and an i5-3550, with everything on max (apart from shadows at high) as long as I don't turn on any antialiasing. The CPU usage is only around 40-60% (Though I've not been in Paris proper with huge crowds). Also, all options seems to have only moderate impact on performance - the difference between everything on low and everything on high is 10fps or so.

(This is on version 1.1 of the game and I haven't tried the new AMD drivers yet, since I consider just getting a 970 today anyway)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I can report that I'm having fun in the game with my newly bought 980. I'm still limited by my pretty old i5-3550, but I get around 45-60 FPS everywhere apart from cutscenes which dip down to 30-40 for some reason. (Subsurface scattering maybe? I know that was a frame killer in the Dead Rising 3 cutscenes)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bro Dad posted:

If you have steam add "-disablepagefilecheck" (without quotations) to launch parameters.

This is a bullshit placebo thing that didn't do anything when people said to do it for watch_dogs and it won't do anything here either.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

macnbc posted:

What is this from?

It's a stupid comment in a file from Watch Dogs taken out of context. See the reference to "Xenon" in there? That's a codename for 360. It's a file about pixel shader stuff for last-gen consoles. The PC comment is meaningless since both PS4 and Xbone will execute the same "who cares" code path, but people still drag that picture out to "prove" that Ubisoft doesn't care about PC gamers.

You can see the full file here - note the "#if defined(XBOX360_TARGET) || defined(PS3_TARGET)" at the top.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 11, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Real hurthling! posted:

because mordor isn't powering a billion animations per second on crowds that add nothing to the game, its only drawing a couple dozen awesome fun orc budz for you to mess with in an interesting an engaging way.

In addition to this, the geometry in Shadow of Mordor is much simpler and it doesn't have to worry about rendering interiors for every single house. (Take a close look - in AC:U even houses you can't enter has fake mini-rooms behind every window to give them depth)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So uh apparently the microtransactions option was disabled for review copies so that reviewers wouldn't dock points off the game for having them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931099

It could be fake but it does make sense as to why a lot of reviews didn't even mention them.

It was disabled, but not hidden. So you couldn't see exactly what the point packs was priced at, but you definitely noticed they were there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
FYI, Unity is in first place on Steam's top sellers list now.

Maybe it's true - any PR is good PR?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Orv posted:

Apparently it's a regional list. In the US it's at 11.

Yeah, looking closely I see it's both at 1st and 12th here:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone else having an issue where the game will freeze completely for like 5-10 seconds, then resume as if nothing happened? Seems to happen a few times each hour.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Snuffman posted:

Nvidia?

I thought it was just me and my video card was overheating or something. Happens waaay more in the south...I haven't been to the southernmost districts but get a feeling I might see that crash everyone is seeing.

Yeah, newly bought Nvidia 980. It only seems to affect the game itself, as I could alt-tab out of the game fine. Also, it is a total freeze, where I can't do anything. I've seen someone else posting about a "freeze" where the game world stops, but they can still rotate the camera around, but this is different.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

BaconPigbutt posted:

Yes, "in an effort to favor consoles" is not a fact just a conjecture and possibly a little to much on my part. But it was and is in fact playable with the options enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43ZlqPvBDs

There were no "PC" options that were disabled, that video is hearsay and placebo sent through a game of telephone. People have modded the game to be "better" (with TheWorseMod) but whether it actually is better seems highly subjective. That mod mostly increases Depth of Field effects to absurdity, which looks good in screenshots but only gets in the way in the game, and increased ton of rain parameters which will kill your game's performance unless you have a super rig.

The closest you get to "disabled" option is the no-shadow headlights that got changed to shadow casting headlights - which made the lights flicker instead so it was obviously not ready for release. (You can even SEE the headlights flicker in his "better" version of the game)

edit: for proof, here's screenshots of the game without and with TheWorseMod. They're not labeled so it's a bit hard to see in the thumbnails, but the ones with the mod are those that have stupid amounts of DoF: http://imgur.com/a/Geg0R

ymgve fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 13, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Leo Showers posted:

I am looking to purchase this particular game, but I'm unsure whether I really should. It's $120 in Australia and I'm really having a hard time justifying it to myself due to all the bugs people have been reporting and the poor game experience.

Is there any reason I should pick this game up or should I not waste my money.

The only reason you should pick this up is if you really, really, really want to play a new Assasin's Creed game this instant and don't have a 360 or PS3 to get Rogue instead.

Otherwise, wait for the patches and the discounts.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

macnbc posted:

And.. you're saying that's a good thing? How long does it take you to go make a sandwich because it usually takes me about 2 minutes, which is an insufferably long load screen in 2014. It's also very long even in comparison to some past AC games.

You misunderstood, he definitely means it's a bad thing. Basically everyone says the loading times are way too long, apart from Tenzarin which says they are absent or atleast 1 second at most, which means he is flat out lying.

That being said, there is no loading screens when just traversing Paris on foot. But there's definitely loading screens when the game loads for the first time, fast traveling or starting missions.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 13, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

zen death robot posted:

So is this game basically as bad as AC3 or ?

Bad in a different way. AC3 had slightly bad performance on PCs, but not extraordinarily bad like ACU. AC3 was more panned for having a 20 hour tutorial in a 40 hour game, where in contrast the game world of ACU opens up quite quickly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

rizuhbull posted:

Are 7950s outdated already? Only got one two years ago and this is what I get on the lowest settings.

You can probably crank up the settings. It seems like most options don't really impact performance that much if you're already CPU limited.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Palpek posted:

Everybody's reporting problems with the game to the point of its user metacritic score being destroyed (there's no conspiracy of haters here like some idiots believe) and Ubisoft support forums are overflowing with reports. People are reporting severe crashes, whole parts of the city being unavailable and FPS dips everywhere including consoles and high-end machines. This game's launch is a disaster and of course it works on some machines but this doesn't invalidate the the other complaints. "It works on my PC which means y'all wrong" is a completely moronic sentence.

Let's not pretend that user metacritic scores are anything but a hivemind circlejerk where 90% of the people don't even own the game.

Yes, the game is flawed and broken, but it's not in a "this game is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" 2.0 score territory.

I wonder if a lot of the bugs are directly related to the poor performance, though. The only times I've fallen through the game world was immediately after the game had stayed frozen for like 5 seconds. I guess physics starts to screw up if the game gets starved for CPU power.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yes, but it is not this broken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DtVHqyYts

My point was more that Metacritic User scores are useless unless you just want to know what the most vocal internet users feels about a game, most of whom have never played the game in question.

For example: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/company-of-heroes-2

It is better to use something like Steam reviews, which at least require the reviewer to own the game in question, where AC: Unity currently sits at only 45% of the user reviews being positive. (Which means you should definitely avoid it for now)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 14, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

macnbc posted:

Honestly I feel like this is the year of Next Gen Disappointment(tm).
I look back to the games I was looking forward to coming out this year:
* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny
* This year's AC title (since AC4 was awesome and Unity hadn't been announced yet)

And NONE of them have lived up to the hype. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get a PS4 game I've been looking forward to and be completely blown away by it like so many times on previous generations.

(On the plus side I feel there's been "surprise" good games coming out instead like Shadow of Mordor)

Infamous: Second Son, maybe? Though it wasn't mindblowing, it looked great and was fun.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I found some gold armor!

(Sadly, not actual gold armor, just one room that for some reason makes everything look like gold)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Wish they had included AC: Rogue in the list of games you can get if you bought the season pass. Only game I don't have is Just Dance and...gently caress that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh yeah, that was a thing in the plot too. I was too busy laughing at his mispronunciation of his daughter's name to even notice. Yeah, we definitely do have universal health care over here so that doesn't make any sense at all unless things are different in the world of Assassin's Creed.

I thought it wasn't about getting money for the medicine, but that it was super-special newly developed Abstergo medicine that he couldn't have obtained otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I guess it might be related to getting the game to perform better than AC:U, but it looked like Syndicate has a lot fewer building interiors than AC:U had. Then again, there might be just as many interiors, only that in the hundred years that passed between the games, someone figured out that having doors in their doorways would be a good idea.

Also, that one part in the middle of the trailer was basically Grand Theft Carriage, they even included street lights that fall down if you as much as look at them.

• Locked thread