Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

alcoholism is just a term the liberals came up with to shame the working class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i did really bad in college

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got on triple secret probation and withdrew from a dozen classes and accumulated $45k in debt

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you default on your loans, the entire loan will be sold to a collection agency who will charge you interest and a substantial collection fee every month until you start paying them back, and you will not be able to move the loan out of the agency unless you pay it off in full with all charges or pay ~12 month 'restitution' payments at which point your loan payments will show up on your credit history

if you don't pay the collection fee, they will take you to court and garnish your wages for years

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

lmao that owns. im not even mad. thats so unethical i cant even care. i am literally never going to pay that poo poo and ill come out ahead in the end when we all die

they will sue you and the government will garnish your wages for years

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

its been like 4 years since i left college. they havent been that aggressive. is it because it was all fafsa stuff and state colleges? my sister went to a private university, didnt pay her poo poo, and got her wages garnished like a month after she defaulted

The reason this is happening to you is because collection agencies have figured out if you don't answer your collector phone calls, they can just rack up the charges and interest for years, as they have completed a service in trying to collect your money, which you have ignored... they make more money this way when you eventually get sued as all your poo poo has racked up to thousands of dollars profit for them.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

can i argue in court that i shouldnt be held responsible for financial decisions i made when i was 17

probably not gonna fly

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/business/once-a-student-now-dogged-by-collection-agencies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

quote:

Since he left college in the late 1970s, Mr. Chaskin has largely ignored his student loans — until June, when a federal judge ordered him to turn over $8,200.

Mr. Chaskin had borrowed $3,500 in federally guaranteed student loans to attend Northwestern Michigan College, a community college. He did not graduate. The federal government sued him in 1997, but over the next 15 years he made only five payments.

Last January, a lawyer in Michigan working on contract for the government was alerted to a credit check for Mr. Chaskin. The lawyer filed a garnishment order and discovered a brokerage account with nearly $20,000 that Mr. Chaskin said he had opened with disability checks.

By the time the government caught up with him, Mr. Chaskin owed more than $19,000 in accumulated interest and penalties, but the judge reduced the amount to $8,200 after Mr. Chaskin pleaded for a break.

“If you wait long enough, you catch people when their guard’s down,” said the lawyer, Charles J. Holzman, who was rewarded with more than 25 percent of Mr. Chaskin’s payment.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 3, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

what.. is that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SpeedGem posted:

i "inherieted it" lol, i hate this place and want to die

hello attic friend

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you would make a good troon