Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
This thread got my interested in the souls games. I played Dark Souls 1, had a hell of a time slogging through it, then dove headfirst into the 'lore' and loved all of it. Did the same with Dark Souls 2. Now im done and bloodborne has come out...... but not for PC.

WHY FROM?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

funmanguy posted:

This thread got my interested in the souls games. I played Dark Souls 1, had a hell of a time slogging through it, then dove headfirst into the 'lore' and loved all of it. Did the same with Dark Souls 2. Now im done and bloodborne has come out...... but not for PC.

WHY FROM?

Less work and more money (from Sony).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

funmanguy posted:

WHY FROM?

Exclusivity contracts that are terrible for the consumer but will continue to happen because way too many people are willing to spoonfeed sony hundreds of dollars for a single game.

On a better note, scholar of the first sin is coming out very soon on 3 platforms.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Is there eventual hope for a PC port?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No chance. Sony are the reason Bloodborne even came about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McKilligan posted:

Is there eventual hope for a PC port?

About the same as a PC port of Demon's Souls.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
just play dark souls

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Nothing like rocking 30+ Humanity and 50k in souls only to lose it because you got cocky around sentinels.

Don't get greedy, y'all.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Playing SotFS on PC, in Aldia's Keep, got invaded, dude got me down to 1HP, parried me, and then Black Crystal'd away. :psyduck:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Playing SotFS on PC, in Aldia's Keep, got invaded, dude got me down to 1HP, parried me, and then Black Crystal'd away. :psyduck:

I've done the same thing lots of times.

The dude won the fight, there's no point killing you on top of it just out of spite.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

I've done the same thing lots of times.

The dude won the fight, there's no point killing you on top of it just out of spite.

What's the point of invading at a place like that then? If you are not going to look for a fair fight, then you might aswell be a dick.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah, he won. No need to be a dick about it. :)

We were having a goon fight club in Painted World in DS1 a while back, and it was me vs....Genocyber, iirc. I was using Chaos Blade which wicks away the wielders health with every strike. We were having a great fight- with an agreed upon 'no estus' rule- both of us were down to a sliver of health and I got to the point where hitting him one more time would have killed me. I backed WAY off, bowed, and offered him my back for a stab. He had won fair and square.

The funny part was we were all chatting on IRC while in-game and he didn't take the stab and everyone is like "wtf are you doing?"

Despite the high-level of hatemail it can generate, and goofballs who insist on HONORABRU! arbitrary dueling rules that they completely made up who get REALLY mad if you don't know/don't play by those rules - you can run into some really cool people who play the Souls games.

I always shake my head watching some of the joke videos people have made - manly miners, the tribe (with the guys acting like they were birds drinking out of one of the pools in the CatBro forest) and seeing people showing up who CLEARLY don't get the joke or are just too rear end in a top hat to participate in it.

I was invading Anor Londo one evening and on the narrow bridge leading to the big room I found the Host and a Summon blocking the path, both naked, save for the Sack, and synchronously doing the "can't use item" gesture. So - there's two types of players: dickheads who would just start swinging weapons. And people like me and most of the friends I know who play Souls: you strip down, put on a Sack and join them - because that poo poo's hilarious. We gestured at each other for a while, I backed up, did several Joy! gestures, dropped some Humanities and crystal'd out. Was a nice funny break from invading.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

What's the point of invading at a place like that then? If you are not going to look for a fair fight, then you might aswell be a dick.

Aldia's is one of the better places to invade if you're trying not to be a dick about it. It's just a straight corridor with a bonfire half way along and no enemies before that point, and you can run past the Ogre rampage pretty easily. Invading in No Man's or Amana or outside Smelter's lair or Tseldora would be being a dick, dying there can cost you a good 10 minutes of progress and whatever consumables you've eaten to get up to that point.

Surprise PvP is the best part of this game, I just wish it was an opt-in thing.

and yeah cmon HONORABURU COMBAT is something self-imposed, you don't get to demand other people cripple themselves arbitrarily. I mean if you summon someone for a duel then it's poor form to heal or gank but if you're getting invaded then anything goes. Summoning, healing, alt-f4, whatever.

Also imo if you twink or bullly newbies you a dick. But that's just another reason it ought to be opt-in.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If you want opt-in invasions then play Bloodborne imo.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
Speaking of honorable kills. I just joined the Darkwraiths and started invading for the first time in my 300+ hours in Dark Souls 1, and it's so much fun. My favorite thing to do is to invade in Anor Londo just after the first gargoyle, then wait patiently for the host to lower the elevator after the balancing act in the cathedral. Then, as soon as the cut scene is over and the 2nd gargoyle is on the lift, I reset the position of the elevator and help the gargoyle kill the host, that way they have to start all over! :D

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
edit: He gets it ^

Uhh what, did all of you forget what the point of invading was

The whole point is you invade someone and gently caress them up and steal their humanity/whatever then dip out to your world. What's all this about "being a dick" because you killed the guy you're supposed to lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFTtXi0RlA

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tony Bologna posted:

Speaking of honorable kills. I just joined the Darkwraiths and started invading for the first time in my 300+ hours in Dark Souls 1, and it's so much fun. My favorite thing to do is to invade in Anor Londo just after the first gargoyle, then wait patiently for the host to lower the elevator after the balancing act in the cathedral. Then, as soon as the cut scene is over and the 2nd gargoyle is on the lift, I reset the position of the elevator and help the gargoyle kill the host, that way they have to start all over! :D

Youre an absolute fuckhead that is going to burn for eternity in the deepest pits of hell. That being said, this is the most fun way to play the game :getin:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If you want opt-in invasions then play Bloodborne imo.

Bloodborne has the best invasions, because the odds are so stacked against you that every kill is truly satisfying. Getting those sweet parry chains on the poor bastards while they're trying to heal or slamming them with ash Cannon shots while they're unaware :allears:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Explain for non DS'ers? Also, what is up with the fairy dude wagging that scythe in the air and the other dude dying? The hate mail youtube vid? Thanks, I don't play so I never get these awesome vids/pics but love to spectate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZenMaster posted:

Explain for non DS'ers? Also, what is up with the fairy dude wagging that scythe in the air and the other dude dying? The hate mail youtube vid? Thanks, I don't play so I never get these awesome vids/pics but love to spectate.

The dark red thing below Executioner Smough is a healthbar.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ZenMaster posted:

Smough and Orenstien are one of the harder and certainly one of the more infamous of the bosses in Dark Souls. You have to fight both of them at once, and after you kill one of them, the other gets a full heal and a buff to attack.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Patrick Spens posted:

Smough and Orenstien are one of the harder and certainly one of the more infamous of the bosses in Dark Souls. You have to fight both of them at once, and after you kill one of them, the other gets a full heal and a buff to attack.

So literally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HoneyBoy posted:

edit: He gets it ^

Uhh what, did all of you forget what the point of invading was

The whole point is you invade someone and gently caress them up and steal their humanity/whatever then dip out to your world. What's all this about "being a dick" because you killed the guy you're supposed to lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFTtXi0RlA

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah!! This is what honourable kills is all about.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
I love killing a host then using the "look skyward" gesture to the summoned phantoms that did such a lovely job of keeping the host alive. I guess one of my favorite things about Dark Souls is how all the gestures are vague enough that they can be interpreted differently depending on context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The best part about gestures in DS1 is you can spam them.

Well what is it? Well what is it? W-W-Well-W-Well what is it?

• Locked thread