Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Oh wow. That is a thing that happened.

I've never actually run into a vagrant before - just how dangerous are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
They're not dangerous but look where he is.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've had a vagrant spawn in that exact same location. It was a bummer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've had that happen too, I just went back to the pillar you can use as cover and waited for it to come to me. Still felt like a personal middle finger from the game though.

It seems like there are a lot more vagrants in the PC version of the game but it's probably just coincidence. I only ever saw 1 on PS3, and it was on the invisible path to the blue titanite slab in the Crystal Caverns of all places. But I've seen maybe 5 on PC.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bogart posted:

I've had a vagrant spawn in that exact same location. It was a bummer.

That's probably a common spawn location, since they tend to spawn where other players have lost large amounts of souls and/or humanity.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Alien Arcana posted:

I've never actually run into a vagrant before - just how dangerous are they?

Not really that dangerous, outside of the fact that I really wasn't expecting my path to be blocked there.

The other one I ran into was also in anor londo, on the terrace overlooking the big room with the giant guardians in front of OnS.
That one shot volleys of tiny white homing pursuers bullets at me but they did no damage to a 100% physical block shield.

I think that archer ramp one in my screenshot was also the same kind of homing bullet vagrant, but I didn't confirm it I just ran back around the pillar and smacked it as it rounded the corner.

Apparently there are also peaceful variants.
The whole system is just kind of weirdly bizarre, especially with the extreme rarity. Imagine trying to convince someone that vagrants existed in pre-internet days.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's probably a common spawn location, since they tend to spawn where other players have lost large amounts of souls and/or humanity.

Makes sense. I've had someone tell me elsewhere that its also not an uncommon place to intentionally lose souls or drop a ton of items to try and get them to spawn for other people. A somewhat interesting indirect way to troll someone else's game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have like 300 hours in Dark Souls and I've still never seen a single vagrant. Obviously they must have popped up at least a few times and I just didn't notice.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I didn't even know vagrants were a thing until reading this thread. I had to look them up just now.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I didn't even know vagrants were a thing until reading this thread. I had to look them up just now.

They're one of my favourite things in Dark Souls. I remember reading the release thread for DaS1 and lots of folks were talking about dropping their gear to create vagrants, followed by lots of "I've never even seen a vagrant..."

EDIT: The description of them mentions dropping items, which caused the confusion: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/vagrant

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Vagrants really are cool and one of those things, as somebody mentioned, kids would talk about around the playground years ago and debate their existence. Hell, even with the internet didn't it take a bunch of people doing all kinds of research to crack open their mechanics?

Although the best thing was the Pendant in Dark Souls 1. So much speculation about what it did, if you had to kill all the enemies in the game in one go with it to unlock a 3rd ending, etc. Tons of fan theories. The reality of it all? Nothing. It does absolutely nothing and the developers were just loving with us.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This is one of my favorite Dark Souls videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Palpek posted:

Co-starring my high school iPod playlist.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
Wait a minute. After putting in 100 hours for both DS 1 and 2 I have NEVER seen a vagrant before. What the gently caress!?!? How does those series continue to surprise me?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Moon Man posted:

Wait a minute. After putting in 100 hours for both DS 1 and 2 I have NEVER seen a vagrant before. What the gently caress!?!? How does those series continue to surprise me?

I don't think they're in DS2, and they only appear in DS1 if a player dies on the spot with a huge reserve of humanity. As time goes on, active players have gotten better at the game so deaths that waste so much humanity like that are extremely rare. That's my theory anyway.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Moon Man posted:

Not only that, but there are "good" and "evil" Vagrants, each with a white and red version!

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/vagrant

The Dark Souls wiki, as always, has more information than you could possibly ever want!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

There's a similar one from DS1 where the dude dresses up as a Black Knight, stands in the bridge in Kiln of The First Flame and equips that miracle which repels people. Hilarity ensues.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Edmond Dantes posted:

There's a similar one from DS1 where the dude dresses up as a Black Knight, stands in the bridge in Kiln of The First Flame and equips that miracle which repels people. Hilarity ensues.

I saw one once where someone posed as Trusty Patches in the Catacombs and... did what Patches does.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've done this in DS1 in the Parish. I dress up in Black Knight gear and equip the BK Greatsword, and stand at the top of the turret where the Knight normally stands. You'd be surprised how many invaders fail to realize that I'm about 2 feet too short to be a real Black Knight.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Alien Arcana posted:

I saw one once where someone posed as Trusty Patches in the Catacombs and... did what Patches does.

never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRswclEJ_Gk

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Edmond Dantes posted:

Wait, he used the host's ring to cause reaction AOE damage from his attacks to make the host kill his own Emerald Herald? That's... god drat devious.

They also used warmth to heal the host so he wouldn't die from the throwing knives.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I remember being really frazzled by Blighttown but being determined to get through it. I finally got to the bottom with no estus left and I saw something off in the distance so I started shooting arrows at it. I think, though I may be misremembering, that it got up and came to attack me and I finished it off with some magic. I don't remember it being a hard fight but I know I was panicked because I was finally on solid ground and I just didn't want to have to go through all of that again. It turned out to be the lady that sells you fire stuff at the bottom area. That was a moment that stood out because I was able to kill that npc. If I hadn't read guides later on trying to figure out where all the spells were, I would never have known about her.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Brainamp posted:

They also used warmth to heal the host so he wouldn't die from the throwing knives.
The amazing/sad thing is that the host may never know what the hell happened (unless he runs across the video); he'll just come back from whatever the gently caress he was doing, and the Herald will just... not be there.

2:26 and the dialogue leading to it is one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Have the videos of that one Japanese guy playing "chameleon" with invaders been posted yet?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is my generic youtube link (as in, I type "you" into a browser and this pop up)

No Ledge? No Problem!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

GMod Idiot Box always gets me laughing like an idiot.

:edit:

Lord Dudeguy has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Dec 6, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Xander77 posted:

This is my generic youtube link (as in, I type "you" into a browser and this pop up)

No Ledge? No Problem!

God I miss the kicks from DS1 so much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

God I miss the kicks from DS1 so much.

For real though.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
My friend that is streaming on twitch decided to get back in to DS1 for the DLC pack. I think he is going after Manus, and he admits he is insane.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Xander77 posted:

No Ledge? No Problem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEG7nxBxMz8

This one from the same user is pretty great, too.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
One man's journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYdBV-6bH60

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKxSJbR1znI&t=162s

:darksouls:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Humble request, any chance when people post they give an explanation of what the cool thing is? I love this stuff, but have to dig around to find out what is going on most of the time in the videos. :(

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ZenMaster posted:

Humble request, any chance when people post they give an explanation of what the cool thing is? I love this stuff, but have to dig around to find out what is going on most of the time in the videos. :(

What browser do you use? You could get something like this and never have that problem ever again ever: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-title-adder/ddpephnhacfpgcemhioaejgenlgadnnh?hl=en

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

What browser do you use? You could get something like this and never have that problem ever again ever: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-title-adder/ddpephnhacfpgcemhioaejgenlgadnnh?hl=en

I think what he meant was without being familiar with some of the mechanics of Dark Souls you wouldn't know what's happening in the videos? Like even though I've played all three games in the series, I'm not sure what 160 poise does for you. And without having played the game the Muscle Wizard video wouldn't make much sense.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think what he meant was without being familiar with some of the mechanics of Dark Souls you wouldn't know what's happening in the videos? Like even though I've played all three games in the series, I'm not sure what 160 poise does for you. And without having played the game the Muscle Wizard video wouldn't make much sense.

I don't know if there's something special about level 160, but poise is a stat that determines your resistance to being staggered or stun-locked by hits. So if it's high, you're basically going to be really really hard to stop.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ah. I see.

Poise prevents your attack animations from being interupted by enemy attacks. 160 poise is a particularly high amount, so you are basically The Terminator.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Exactly... never played so a lot is over my head, game looks amazing, this thread is the best.

• Locked thread