Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
In celebration of Noisevember, I bring you the Noise Thread, post your shittiest, most depraved, horrible sounds here.

Noise
I think a lot of people write off noise without really understanding what it is. There's textures and progression and depth in good noise. In some ways it's the complete opposite of electronic dance music: instead of being about a beat, noise is about a texture, a single composite sound that evolves over the runtime of the track. It's the ultimate minimalist musical form, existing independently of different scales or formal ideas about what music is. The modernist composers (Steve Reich, John Cage, Lou Harrison) all experimented with noise and its use in music, but noise entered "popular consciousness" with Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, an album that by all accounts is awful but brought noise to rock musicians, so it holds an important place in music history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYtzNl48F60

Since then, other musicians have started experimenting with pure noise music, lots of it overlapping with post-rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIyTXSW2oWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-FYPTPvqzM

But by far the most common noise genre today is electronic noise, fronted by its undisputed and terrifyingly prolific king, Merzbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AguPH0XBxdw

Oddly enough, Japan seems to be the biggest exporter of noise, and they're really good at it.

Eventually noise bled into songs with more conventional structures as well, using noise as a part of the emotional progression of a track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cc3Pvc3leI

No Wave
In the 1970s, an art scene was developing in New York in response and opposition to the new-wave sound brought about by bands like The Talking Heads. No Wave was simple, blunt and brutal; punk without the pretention of musicality, no-wave rejected any attempt to define it, and no-one in the scene cared if anyone cared, but most agreed on one thing: It's kind of hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocrTr56uhyw

Though if you have any familiarity with no-wave, it's almost certainly through Sonic Youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAmWkWZiZ50

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I think there's something deeply spiritual about noise. Take Diamond Sea by Sonic Youth. I know my mind can't make sense of the last 15 minutes of that song, but at a pre-verbal level I understand why it's happening, and it speaks to some part of me that nothing aside from narcotics can reach.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
First noise album I got was Alec Empire Vs Merzbow Live at CBGB. The liner notes claim people were leaving mid set and lying on the pavement with ears bleeding. Whether this is hyperbole or not, it's a wonderful image. Repeated listens reveal mangled rhythms buried under the full spectrum screech and it's upon finding these rhythms and subdued patterns that not just this album but the majority of 'good' noise starts to make sense and become enjoyable. They may never be overt, many of them may be patterns that only you will ever notice, it's a very listener dependant experience, and that's it's appeal to me.

I don't know if the noiseguide forums still exist but they were fascinating to me a few years ago, a lot of producers as well as fans.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Alec's band, Atari Teenage Riot (my guilty pleasure) decided to do this one night opening for Nine Inch Nails and pissed everyone off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMhT2657mw

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Any room for Noise Rock?

Big Black - Kerosene

Einsturzende Neubauten - Kollaps

Brainbombs - Who Can You Trust

If not, how about Power Electronics? Once you get past the misogyny, racism, sexual sadism and other extreme content inherent to the lyrics, it gets pretty good. Or not, if you're one of those spoilsports that demands things like rhythm and melody.

Whitehouse - Wriggle like a loving Eel

Genocide Organ - God Sent Us

And while we're on the subject of controversial subject matter, why not go MAXIMUM HITLER with some Martial Industrial?

Arditi - Sons of God

I dunno if I've contributed to this conversation so much as opened myself to some red text proudly declaring my nazi rapist credentials but gently caress it.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
I just saw Swans live last Wednesday for the first time. It was as good as I expected. Here's someones' recording of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbGK9ODooKo

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
No Wave isn't really a thing, is it? The original scene was about five bands, who made five decent songs all put together, and I can think of exactly one current band who anyone ever calls "no wavey" (Can Can Heads). It's just this really trivial label that probably came about because some music mags dug Lydia Lunch. Like Britpop or some poo poo.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Ras Het posted:

No Wave isn't really a thing, is it? The original scene was about five bands, who made five decent songs all put together, and I can think of exactly one current band who anyone ever calls "no wavey" (Can Can Heads). It's just this really trivial label that probably came about because some music mags dug Lydia Lunch. Like Britpop or some poo poo.

No Wave is kind of a point of interest that a lot of great poo poo grew out of. It in and of itself was a pretty small thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There were only like five good post-punk bands too.

My go-to noise album is still Wolf Eyes' Burned Mind.

Older Third Eye Foundation was also great for "rhythmic noise". Semtex and Ghost are still Matt Elliott's best albums, though his whole quiet-one-man-guitar albums are fine too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rIyiuQ5B0

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

precision posted:

There were only like five good post-punk bands too.

I'm pretty sure that's not right.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I had the "there's no no-wave bands outside of the comp bands" argument like 10 years ago and I'm gonna have it today again. I call Arab on Radar and AIDS Wolf No Wave. And a bunch of other poo poo No Wave. I will continue to do it until I die, which will be never.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
arab on radar is really good

the worst noise act is hadals though by far

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

stay depressed posted:

arab on radar is really good

the worst noise act is hadals though by far

Yeah.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Agreed. Nobody listen to Hadals. If you search for them on Google, you'll get responses for "had ALS" and you'll wish you did have ALS and not Hadals.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
listening to it loving GAVE me als

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Listen, buddy, if there's anything we don't need around here it's more meals.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

In other news, I recently discovered this weird little Austrian outfit combing harsh noise with ambient, post-rock and hardcore.

I loving love it.

:getin:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Heh, me? Yeah I make music. I'm a noise artist. I own three digitech deathmetal pedals and run them through a reverb unit. Used to do everything on a laptop but dad said he wouldnt buy me another once he found out I destroyed the last two during a set by smashing them on the ground. Did you know that yeezy experimented with noise on n-words in paris? pure whitenoise with beats, I connected to it on a primal level and thhats how I knew I had to do it myself. Find out about my newest releases on one of /mu/'s noise general thread under the name lastwintersfall. Do you want to hear some of my work? give me $15 and i will mail you a tape (i bought a pack of twenty for 10 bucks at cvs) when i get around to it in 6 months. You want that with or w/out cum? jk its coming in crusty no matter what if i actually mail you anything. btw come check out my live set tonight at the community rec. center after the senior dance class lets out.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

My sound is a cross between power ambient and pigfuck vaporwave

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Favorite noise artist? Flatliner from the Death Grips.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I stole my dad's cordless drill so now I'm doing Power Electronics

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Wrong. No Wave was definitely a thing and it was insanely influential for how many bands (and songs) were involved in it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

juniperjones posted:

Wrong. No Wave was definitely a thing and it was insanely influential for how many bands (and songs) were involved in it.

Insanely influential?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
vampire weekend is insanely influenced by james chance i heard they had lunch with him and he was like 'ya fellas, you got it going on.'

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
wilco's sky blue sky was dedicated to lydia lunch. i have the liner notes right here

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Op, I think you're really overstating the relevancy of post-rock...

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

overstating the importance of records listened to by like seven people with unwashed hair ITT.

Swans and Sonic Youth are cool though.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Royal Trux's Twin Infinitives is like the Trout Mask Replica of noise rock, I highly recommend it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Genetic Toaster posted:

people with unwashed hair ITT.
uhh this is a noise thread, were you really expecting people with good hair

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

You guys are terrible people.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Genetic Toaster posted:

overstating the importance of records listened to by like seven people with unwashed hair ITT.

yeah mono and 65daysofstatic have no business being in a noise thread

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
gently caress posting. gently caress content. discussion for noone. recommendations to noone. noise is over

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6yTHRsXOA

god bless

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Stravinsky posted:

My sound is a cross between power ambient and pigfuck vaporwave

You rang?

ASK: me about anything worth talking about in Chicago scum bag noise and I'll scream directly into your face

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

slowdave posted:

yeah mono and 65daysofstatic have no business being in a noise thread

But its NMD so it doesn't matter :hb:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
To be fair the mono track is fairly feedbacky formless guitar noise that wouldn't be too out of place on a Jefre Cantu-Ledesma album or something like that.

Keiji Haino does the best guitar noise though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYtwSfbNwAA

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Remember when people listened to Clipping and thought it was good, and the total tripe it actually is? Good times

Here's a vid of Sickness at NMF 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0PTOyO_zoM

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

You guys are terrible people.

Well yeah, you won't find anybody else in the noise scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Remember when people listened to Hovercraft

• Locked thread