Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

etherealshaq posted:

So should all miscarriages be investigated as potential murders then

No because theyre natural deaths, are you dense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

brizna posted:

The legality of abortion doesn't actualy affect the rate of abortion, op.

we should make them illegal anyways, since discounting rape victims, people who need abortions were too stupid to use birth control, we can use it as a new vice tax on the poor and stupid.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Shnag posted:

Abortions will happen period. This isn't about a matter of opinion, regardless of law, availability and safety they will happen. If a woman can't get it done in a clinic, she might do it in a wall-mart bathroom. The real truth of the matter is people are only seeking out to punish women. In particularly underprivileged women who need help most.

Also, this is a great article anytime this comes up debate comes up. Its all well and good that you want to take rights away from women, but at least admit that its just for women from social strata you don't like.
The only moral abortion is my abortion
http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html

I would argue that if men were the ones to carry babies, not only would abortions be universally legal, it would be so common that there would be a wide range of places to go too. There would be the cheap, but kind of gross Chain abortion clinics, probably one of them owned by McDonald's, and then there would be classier abortion joints, which are nicer but more expensive. Of course there would be loyalty cards for the classier joints, probably punch cards for the cheaper places (Hey, I forgot my punch card last time, can I combine these two cards so I get my 11th abortion free?). And for the truly frugal, there would be DIY kits, probably a shop-vac attatchment or something.

Also, if people truly cared about children their focus would be on sexual education, availability of birth control, social security nets, funding for children s recreational activities etc etc, but nah! gently caress those dumb loving sluts for getting preggers, amiright?

Just because women murder their unborn children doesnt mean we should facilitate and approve of it, women also murder their young infants all the time as well, should we set up infant murdering stations?

I am for providing birth control and social safety nets im not really sure what those have to do with abortion though?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

TOILETLORD posted:

we should make them illegal anyways, since discounting rape victims, people who need abortions were too stupid to use birth control, we can use it as a new vice tax on the poor and stupid.

condoms break and boys lie. not even getting your tubes tied is 100% effective since they don't always scar completely shut. plus pregnancy is way more dangerous (and expensive) than a surgical abortion, especially for young teenage girls.

also, it already is a tax on the poor, since there are usually very few abortion clinics in a given state, necessitating the money for travel and maybe a local hotel room. on top of that, several states require 24-72 hr waits after the initial consultation, which means taking more days off of work, which probably isn't possible. so yeah you already have your vice tax on the poor, much like with any other god drat thing in this country.

women die when abortions aren't legal. they die in horrible ways. doesn't really matter how you feel about abortion because them's the facts. women have been terminating pregnancies for literal thousands of years, dunno why you think not having access to safe, low risk abortions is gonna change that.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Skinny King Pimp posted:

condoms break and boys lie. not even getting your tubes tied is 100% effective since they don't always scar completely shut. plus pregnancy is way more dangerous (and expensive) than a surgical abortion, especially for young teenage girls.

also, it already is a tax on the poor, since there are usually very few abortion clinics in a given state, necessitating the money for travel and maybe a local hotel room. on top of that, several states require 24-72 hr waits after the initial consultation, which means taking more days off of work, which probably isn't possible. so yeah you already have your vice tax on the poor, much like with any other god drat thing in this country.

women die when abortions aren't legal. they die in horrible ways. doesn't really matter how you feel about abortion because them's the facts. women have been terminating pregnancies for literal thousands of years, dunno why you think not having access to safe, low risk abortions is gonna change that.

guess what, if someone doesn't want to get pregnant they can just not have sex. Most clinics aren't safe.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

TOILETLORD posted:

guess what, if someone doesn't want to get pregnant they can just not have sex. Most clinics aren't safe.

how do you figure?

and man if you can find a way to keep teenagers from having sex i will give you ten million dollars

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Rape victims should not be allowed to have abortions, a victim being raped is not an excuse to murder an unborn child.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Skinny King Pimp posted:

how do you figure?

and man if you can find a way to keep teenagers from having sex i will give you ten million dollars

not hard, at least to stop straight sex you just segregate by gender, and after school make them work a job where they are supervised, then send them home and make parents watch them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nacho Destroyer posted:

I am for providing birth control

yet against abortion? that's loving temporalist garbage and you need to get your linear time fascism out of here, timehitler

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Jonny 290 posted:

yet against abortion? that's loving temporalist garbage and you need to get your linear time fascism out of here, timehitler

because abortion isn't birth control, its abortion, they are different things which is why people have differing opinions.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp

TOILETLORD posted:

not hard, at least to stop straight sex you just segregate by gender, and after school make them work a job where they are supervised, then send them home and make parents watch them.

So complete authoritarianism then.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp

TOILETLORD posted:

because abortion isn't birth control, its abortion, they are different things which is why people have differing opinions.

Actually, abortion is birth control. It is literally controlling whether a birth happens or not.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Abortions shouldn't have a term limit. People should have options in place in case their kids prove to be tremendous disappointments.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
How do conservatives feel about abortions becoming illegal with the caveat that the child is given to a gay couple to adopt?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad we have retards actually caring about the topic at hand. Lot of fine examples of why there is a great need for prenatal down's syndrome tests.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

TOILETLORD posted:

That's too complicated just get the girls literal chastity belts and dick cages for the guys. Simple, right?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Arri posted:

Actually, abortion is birth control. It is literally controlling whether a birth happens or not.

no it's forcing a stillborn birth essentially very different.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

How do conservatives feel about abortions becoming illegal with the caveat that the child is given to a gay couple to adopt?

Who cares what a persons political beliefs are, thats pretty petty and meaningless compared to the murder of innocent human beings.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
When did GBS get so serious? Did I miss something?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

When did GBS get so serious? Did I miss something?

oh this the gbs 2.0 thing where we serious post in the hopes we can make another poster post more than we do.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

TOILETLORD posted:

no it's forcing a stillborn birth essentially very different.

nope, miscarriage unless the fetus is already dead inside the uterus and is just being removed.

also a lot of women who have incomplete miscarriages through no fault of their own have died because no doctor in the hospital they went to was able or willing to perform a dilation and curettage because of the stigma attached to abortion. so that's cool i mean, supporting women dying even if they didn't elect to have an abortion is pretty great.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Skinny King Pimp posted:

nope, miscarriage unless the fetus is already dead inside the uterus and is just being removed.

also a lot of women who have incomplete miscarriages through no fault of their own have died because no doctor in the hospital they went to was able or willing to perform a dilation and curettage because of the stigma attached to abortion. so that's cool i mean, supporting women dying even if they didn't elect to have an abortion is pretty great.

whatever i support people dying not just women

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
then why not babies too??

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Skinny King Pimp posted:

then why not babies too??

if you kill them too young you rob them of the chance to kill more people as an adult upping the body count.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
who says they're even innocent? they could of been up to anything in there.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

TOILETLORD posted:

if you kill them too young you rob them of the chance to kill more people as an adult upping the body count.

what if the baby doesn't have a brain or like legs and arms (really hard to kill people if you don't have legs or arms)?

question: can a woman get an abortion if she wanted to get pregnant but finds out in the first trimester that she has cancer (or another serious illness) and can either have the baby and probably die because of the delay in treatment or have an abortion, get treatment, and try again later?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
What if the baby is destined to grow up to be an abortion doctor?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Skinny King Pimp posted:

what if the baby doesn't have a brain or like legs and arms (really hard to kill people if you don't have legs or arms)?

question: can a woman get an abortion if she wanted to get pregnant but finds out in the first trimester that she has cancer (or another serious illness) and can either have the baby and probably die because of the delay in treatment or have an abortion, get treatment, and try again later?

don't change the subject by trying to argue statistical outliers. Argue real points. All you are doing is showing you have nothing to add and are trying to draw attention away from that fact.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

one time I got in a big argument with mom about abortion rights. i had just started college and thought maybe i could change her mind about it? anyway, it was getting heated and i asked "what about rape victims? do you think they should be forced to raise their rapist's baby?" and then she said "you know i was raped right?"

which, no, i definitely did not know. it was long before i was born and happily i am not a rape baby. but, when your mom reveals that she was raped once, the argument is over

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Nacho Destroyer posted:

Just because women murder their unborn children doesnt mean we should facilitate and approve of it, women also murder their young infants all the time as well, should we set up infant murdering stations?

I am for providing birth control and social safety nets im not really sure what those have to do with abortion though?

You have to understand that there is almost zero over-lap between a person who is anti-choice and someone who approves of social assistance. Your political views wouldn't even make up 0.00000000001% of the voting population. The kind of person who prevents women from getting abortion would also get rid all forms of social security if they could. It would be impossible to vote for a politician who would both ban abortions, but would also be willing to raise taxes and spend money take care of the huge influx of babies.

Also, what does abortion have to do with killing a born child? A child is a person with autonomy, a fetus in a womans uterus is part of her body, which she can determine what do with it. Absolutely no-one has any right to tell a woman what to do with her own body. A woman's body does not become property of a baby, and you can not argue the fetus is alive unless you admit that a pregnant woman is not.

And as I and others have pointed out, outlawing abortion will not prevent abortions, rather make it more dangerous. And if you are someone who is ok with that you do not care about mother nor children in general at all.

Nacho Destroyer posted:

Who cares what a persons political beliefs are, thats pretty petty and meaningless compared to the murder of innocent human beings.

In what way does this NOT have do with politics? Unless you are arguing that abortion clinics should be closed and women be punished outside the law or something.

TOILETLORD posted:

I know your are "doing a thing", this idea is more laughable then disturbing. Its not even about a matter of opinion of how corrupt and hosed up it would end up being. Hell, even when it enviably means that only the wealthy can have kids, unintended pregnancies will still happen, and they will just get private doctors to perform them in secret, just as they do now.

It is truly scary that there are people out there who believe that you should be fully finacially and mentally prepared to give birth to a child and raise him or her to adulthood, each and every single time you have sex.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 3, 2014

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Hail baphomet

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Shnag posted:

I know your are "doing a thing", this idea is more laughable then disturbing. Its not even about a matter of opinion of how corrupt and hosed up it would end up being. Hell, even when it enviably meaning that only the wealthy can have kids, unintended pregnancies will still happen, and they will just get private doctors to perform them in secret, just as they do now.

It is truly scary that there are people out there who believe that you should be fully finacially and mentally prepared to give birth to a child and raise him or her to adulthood, each and every single time you have sex.

yeah that's called being responsible for your actions, if you perform an act which is designed solely to create children you should be prepared to have children.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TOILETLORD posted:

yeah that's called being responsible for your actions, if you perform an act which is designed solely to create children you should be prepared to have children.

being shot in the vag with a bullet that also passed through your bf's nuts isnt really voluntary and it happens a lot

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Nacho Destroyer posted:

Who cares what a persons political beliefs are, thats pretty petty and meaningless compared to the murder of *innocent human beings.

*termination of fetuses

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Shnag posted:

A child is a person with autonomy, a fetus in a womans uterus is part of her body, which she can determine what do with it.

So until the cord is cut we can kill the baby, even if it's been born, yes?

quote:

Absolutely no-one has any right to tell a woman what to do with her own body.

When it involves the welfare of another it does. You've heard the old saw 'Your right to swing your arms about ends at my nose'? Well how about 'Your right to bodily autonomy ends at killing my son/daughter'?

quote:

And as I and others have pointed out, outlawing abortion will not prevent abortions, rather make it more dangerous.

Outlawing murder will never prevent murder. So what? I want the killing of unborn children to be as troublesome as possible.

quote:

Not every time you have sex, no. But if you happen to create a new life then rather than murder it, yes, you do have some responsibilities.

Stop killing children - it's surprisingly easy to do.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Nacho Destroyer posted:

my grandma thinks abortion should be Illegal

Yeah but I bet Granny doesn't know that the high rate of abortion in the African-American community is the only thing keeping her neighborhood "nice."

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Your grammy sounds like a baby boomer. They're the worst.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Your arguments failed to sway me so I'm still voting for abortions. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Abort this man!

• Locked thread