Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah I started to go bald early 20's. It sucked, killed my confidence and I fretted. About four years ago, I finally took the plunge and shaved it to #1 and have been doing it ever since. It was hard to make that step, but now I've finally accepted it. I do think I would look better with hair, and that girls would be more interested (at least at first glance) but it's still better than having thin, baldy hair.

It's the hand I got dealt, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Shave your head and grow a sweet beard. I'm in my 30s with a full head of hair, but my beard is still horrible and looks like a less full version of James Franco's. What I wouldn't give to be able to grow some sweet loving chops.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

compensate with a whimsical old timey mustache, op

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
proscar is like $10 for 30 pills which equals 150 propecias so you don't have to be an ugly failure of a man even if you're poor

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

LifeSizePotato posted:

compensate with a whimsical old timey mustache, op

Okay

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Really can't blame the ladies for preferring a virile man with a full head of hair like myself. Hair is life.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Does a receding hairline count? I have a ton of hair but it's slowly moving upwards and I'm starting to look like this guy:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

a bone to pick posted:

Does a receding hairline count? I have a ton of hair but it's slowly moving upwards and I'm starting to look like this guy:
Pain in the rear end but manageable I think. Here's my tips for you goony fucks
-Do not take propecia
-Regular cardio is good
-Rogaine will work only on the top part
-Topicals (not supplements) like this probably are the best bet for thinning hair

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sintax posted:

Pain in the rear end but manageable I think. Here's my tips for you goony fucks
-Do not take propecia

why

Sintax posted:

-Rogaine will work only on the top part

why wouldn't it work everywhere on the scalp

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Rogain is poisonous to cats so if you use it and own a cat it will die.

Also, it stops working when you stop using it.

Yeah its either kill your cat or take dickkilling pills, either of them forever, why bother.

Working dick > hair

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Propecia works fundamentally by lowering forms of testosterone in your entire body (to reduce testosterone reaching the scalp) so it WILL give sexual side effects no matter what anyone says

and thats just how rogaine works ok im not a scientist

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't think Rogaine is completely worthless on the hairline, it's just that it's only been tested and proven in studies to work on the crown. I've taken finasteride (called propecia/proscar) for 6 years with no issues but some people have had permanent problems with their :dong: from it so that's why a lot of people don't recommend it. It's definitely the most effective hair loss treatment out there though if you're willing to take the risk.

Sintax posted:

Propecia works fundamentally by lowering forms of testosterone in your entire body (to reduce testosterone reaching the scalp) so it WILL give sexual side effects no matter what anyone says

and thats just how rogaine works ok im not a scientist

It doesn't lower testosterone it converts DHT into ordinary testosterone, and no by no means does everyone have sexual side sffects.

EDIT: Nvm I missed that you said "forms of" testosterone.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 3, 2014

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
im not gonna argue bout this stuff but it does not convert DHT (which IS a form of testosterone), it inhibits a reaction which converts testosterone into DHT (also preventing this reaction from creating other similar hormones)

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
definitely take propecia. Get generic proscar and cut it into fourths, it costs next to nothing.

Also rogaine works on hairline, like the other goon said it just wasn't proven in studies.

My hairline started receding fast 6 or 7 years ago. Started taking propecia and it stopped receding, then used rogaine to fill in the recessed spots. Works like a charm.

Fight to keep your hair if you want to get laid.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Mixodorian posted:

definitely take propecia. Get generic proscar and cut it into fourths, it costs next to nothing.

Also rogaine works on hairline, like the other goon said it just wasn't proven in studies.

My hairline started receding fast 6 or 7 years ago. Started taking propecia and it stopped receding, then used rogaine to fill in the recessed spots. Works like a charm.

Fight to keep your hair if you want to get laid.

how long did that combo take to make a noticeable difference?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Tuff Ghost posted:

Going bald sucks. Being bald is cool

Wisdom.

neato burrito posted:

Shave your head and grow a sweet beard.

Also wisdom.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sintax posted:

-Topicals (not supplements) like this probably are the best bet for thinning hair

See, I saw this and the first thing I thought is that it looks like any other scammy hair tonic product. It's really hard to distinguish what hair products are legitimate.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

how long did that combo take to make a noticeable difference?

The propecia takes about 6 months to get to the point where you are no longer losing hair or hair loss is slowed to a crawl, and the rogaine took about 8 months to fill in the receded spots which were about the size of american half dollars on each side kind of. My hairline is now how it was before I started losing hair.

It definitely takes patience, and propecia does make you shed for a while at first, but it is totally worth it. I haven't lost any hair since I started taking it and am thinking I will be able to keep my head of hair as long as I take it.

I haven't had any side effects besides less semen volume, but I just take lecithin and that balances it out. I think the negative side effects are blown way out of proportion, and if you do get any they go away when you stop taking it.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Xen Tricks posted:

Yeah its either kill your cat or take dickkilling pills, either of them forever, why bother.

Working dick > hair

lol you dont take them forever you take them until you turn 40-50 and finally marry some 30 year old, then you let yourself go

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I rank starting propecia/rogaine as one of the best decisions of my life.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mixodorian posted:

The propecia takes about 6 months to get to the point where you are no longer losing hair or hair loss is slowed to a crawl, and the rogaine took about 8 months to fill in the receded spots which were about the size of american half dollars on each side kind of. My hairline is now how it was before I started losing hair.

It definitely takes patience, and propecia does make you shed for a while at first, but it is totally worth it. I haven't lost any hair since I started taking it and am thinking I will be able to keep my head of hair as long as I take it.

I haven't had any side effects besides less semen volume, but I just take lecithin and that balances it out. I think the negative side effects are blown way out of proportion, and if you do get any they go away when you stop taking it.

lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
dude just keep groomed and dont be a goony human being gj on wasting thousands of dollars tho

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

don't listen to this chump, i appreciated the post, mixodorian

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Do it ironically posted:

dude just keep groomed and dont be a goony human being gj on wasting thousands of dollars tho

its probably less than $10 a month but hey you spent $10 on an internet comedy forum 'Do it ironically'

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

They don't work forever anyways, Mixodorian's results are probably better than what is typical. If they were really a cure you wouldn't see so many bald guys walking around. For me they have slowed the loss down to a crawl but it's still happening. I started losing hair when I was around 19 and I thought I'd be bald by 30, I was at least able to prevent that but I probably will be by 35.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
if youre an ugly socially awkard loser youre going to be an ugly socially awkward loser regardless if youre bald or not

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

if youre an ugly socially awkard loser youre going to be an ugly socially awkward loser regardless if youre bald or not

but if you're already a cool guy, wouldn't you rather be a cool guy with hair?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Grow a beard, get tan, get jacked, it's not that complex

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

They don't work forever anyways, Mixodorian's results are probably better than what is typical. If they were really a cure you wouldn't see so many bald guys walking around. For me they have slowed the loss down to a crawl but it's still happening. I started losing hair when I was around 19 and I thought I'd be bald by 30, I was at least able to prevent that but I probably will be by 35.

You might want to look into Avodart. I don't know much about it, but it has the same effect as propecia but stronger. Are you taking a full milligram of propecia?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Mixodorian posted:

You might want to look into Avodart. I don't know much about it, but it has the same effect as propecia but stronger. Are you taking a full milligram of propecia?

Yeah I've been doing 1.25mg/day. Avodart looks much better on paper than Proscar but anecdotal reports don't seem to back that up. I'm still interested in trying it but I'd have to find a doctor willing to give it to me off-label as it's not FDA approved for hair loss. I already asked my normal doc and he wouldn't do it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mixodorian posted:

I think I'll just go bald instead, thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
When my hair started going thin I got all stressed and worried and made the mistake of listening to the internet. It told me meds will gently caress me up and if I shaved my head I'd look like Jason Statham.

It was a hassle and I didn't like how it looked.

So I did my own research and talked to a doctor and started taking finasteride because it's cheap as gently caress and works.

And now I don't worry about my hair anymore.

• Locked thread