Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ManifunkDestiny will reportedly not run the MLB free agency game this season so I thought I'd attempt to run it since it's always a lot of fun to laugh at how bad we are at this. Since Jeffersonlives no longer posts much, you might win!

Score sheet is here: http://bit.ly/1tb7a0n

This contest is open now open will open on November 10th when QOs are officially rejected or accepted and registration will close when the first free agent from this contest signs. That includes the international players. Email entries to kyanka12 at gmail dot com and include your username in the subject.

Here is the initial list of players, to be changed if QO's are accepted:
[QO indicates player received qualifying offer which means the signing team will forfeit their highest draft pick outside of the top 10 "protected" picks].

Russell Martin (C) - QO declined
Adam LaRoche (1B) - replaces Aramis Ramirez
Asdrubal Cabrera (ss/2B)
Jed Lowrie (ss)
Hanley Ramirez (ss/3b) - QO declined
Chase Headley (3b)
Pablo Sandoval (3b) - QO declined
Melky Cabrera (lf) - QO declined
Colby Rasmus (cf)
Nick Markakis (rf) - Replaces Michael Cuddyer
Nelson Cruz (rf/lf) - QO declined
Torii Hunter (rf)
Yasmany Tomas (rf)
Hiroki Kuroda (sp)
Jon Lester (sp)
Max Scherzer (sp) - QO declined
James Shields (sp) - QO declined
Andrew Miller(rp)
David Robertson (rp) - QO declined
Rafael Soriano (rp)

Pick where each candidate will end up (retirement, Japan, unsigned, dead, etc are all valid) and place a point value on how certain you are they will end up with that selection from 1-20 with 20 being the most confident and 1 being the least. If you guess correctly, you will win that many points but if you miss a pick, you will lose that many points. Use each number only once. Please keep the players in this order.

For five bonus points, correctly guess the number teams that will meet the posting fee for NPB starting pitcher Kenta "Maeken" Maeda. We do not know what the fee will be yet and it has not been confirmed he will be posted but it is assumed at this point. Just to catch up anybody who didn't follow last off-season, any team may now negotiate with a player posted from the NPB as long as they match a certain posting fee required by the NPB team.

Yoenis Cespedes, currently of the Boston Red Sox, is reportedly being shopped due to clubhouse issues with the team coaching staff. Guess which team he will play for on the opening day of Spring Training for 2 bonus points.

For a tie breaker, guess if the following international players will sign with an MLB team before the end of Spring Training (yes or no): Chihiro Kaneko (Korea), Hector Olivera (Cuba), Jose Fernandez (Cuba). None of these players have been posted or cleared for MLB free agency yet.

A second tie breaker will be determined if needed. It will probably include me just PM'ing something to a neutral party and seeing who gets the closest.

Email your list with your SA forums name in the subject to kyanka12 at gmail dot com. You can post them here if you want but I will not enter them into my fancy little spreadsheet.

Winner gets an AV cert from me. Please let me know if I should change anything but the list will not go beyond 20 players plus the bonus questions and tie breakers.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
It might make more sense to hold off until we know who does or doesn't accept the QO.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress you Sox I want Cespedes

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bob Shabazz posted:

It might make more sense to hold off until we know who does or doesn't accept the QO.

I'll change the list if the Brewers exercise their end of Ramirez's option. I thought there is no way the option would go into effect because it's so rare that both a team and the player exercise a mutual option. This is my own arrogance speaking but I'm not really worried about the QOs since nobody accepted last season, I tried to pick mostly players who will get $$paid$$ on the open market, and it was really rare for a player to accept arbitration from their team in the old system. I can only think of one time that it happened.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 3, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think Kuroda may take the QO this year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I'll change the list if the Brewers exercise their end of Ramirez's option.

They did last week.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm going to go ahead and change the "opening" registration to Nov. 10th when it looks like QO's need to be accepted or declined. QOs are horrible since that means a lot of people on the list are subject to change but I tried to zero in on the high priced free agents as well as some guys who might take a while to find a home. The list in the OP is now tentative until then but I'll email people if they email me and then it changes, just try not to blow up my inbox if you're interested in playing.

Kuroda I included just because he's a guy everybody should know if they follow baseball or even just the Yankees.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 3, 2014

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

ZenVulgarity posted:

gently caress you Sox I want Cespedes

Make this trade, Dave. And put that motherfucker in CF.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I'll wait to email some official guesses until the QO stuff settles, but until then, some bold predictions from my annually-rewritten Correct Prediction Generator:

code:
Player                  	Team                         	Confidence
Russell Martin (C)      	Texas Rangers                	 9
Michael Cuddyer (1B/rf) 	Minnesota Twins              	14
Asdrubal Cabrera (ss/2B)	New York Yankees             	 7
Jed Lowrie (ss)         	Tampa Bay Rays               	 5
Hanley Ramirez (ss/3b)  	Houston Astros               	19
Chase Headley (3b)      	Colorado Rockies             	 4
Aramis Ramirez (3b)     	San Francisco Giants         	 2
Pablo Sandoval (3b)     	Colorado Rockies             	20
Melky Cabrera (lf)      	Chicago Cubs                 	 8
Colby Rasmus (cf)       	Detroit Tigers               	 6
Nelson Cruz (rf/lf)     	Houston Astros               	17
Torii Hunter (rf)       	Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim	15
Yasmany Tomas (rf)      	Cincinnati Reds              	13
Hiroki Kuroda (sp)      	St. Louis Cardinals          	 1
Jon Lester (sp)         	Tampa Bay Rays               	10
Max Scherzer (sp)       	Arizona Diamondbacks         	 3
James Shields (sp)      	Minnesota Twins              	12
Andrew Bailey (rp)      	Minnesota Twins              	16
David Robertson (rp)    	Arizona Diamondbacks         	11
Rafael Soriano (rp)     	Unsigned                     	18

Kenta Maeda bids: 12
Yoenis Cespedes ST: Philadelphia Phillies

Chihiro Kaneko: Yes
Hector Olivera: Yes
Jose Fernandez: No

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Thanks for running this this year! I'll get mine in sometime this weekend.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Thanks for running this this year! I'll get mine in sometime this weekend.

No rush. I think people may want to wait until QO's are officially declined one week from today but it might not hurt to have something ready.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

5pm Eastern is the deadline for free agents with QOs to accept or decline and I'll make any final adjustments at that time.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
We have our first signing! I simply must know if anyone had Cuddyer to the Mets.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, I was waiting till the QOs to be over to submit my picks. What are we gonna do about Cuddyer?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Yeah this is a real problem I totally had Cuddyer - Mets - 20 but didn't get a chance to submit in time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

E: OK, Markakis replaces Cuddyer. Not all of the final results are in for the QOs yet.

If you've already submitted, feel free to resubmit just wait until after all the QO guys are decided and mention it in the email so I don't get confused. I'll start putting up the entries in as I get them.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 10, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
BTW Hanley Ramirez turned down the Dodger's QO (unsurprisingly).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

BTW Hanley Ramirez turned down the Dodger's QO (unsurprisingly).
E: It's done. All outstanding QO's rejected! Send in ballots please. kyanka12 at gmail dot com.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yoenis Cespedes is going to be a Detroit Tiger. Lock it up!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Yoenis Cespedes is going to be a Detroit Tiger. Lock it up!

Mike Ilitch aims to please! How big will the extension be? 8 years/250 million sounds about right...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Andrew Bailey has already signed a minor league deal with the Yankees, like a week ago.

Use Gregorson or Janssen?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MassaShowtime posted:

Andrew Bailey has already signed a minor league deal with the Yankees, like a week ago.

Use Gregorson or Janssen?

loving hell, that was supposed to say Andrew Miller.

One more edit.... :suicide: I guess practice makes perfect.

I emailed the few people who submitted. I don't even think anybody got Bailey right :lol:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 11, 2014

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I'll wait to email some official guesses until the QO stuff settles, but until then, some bold predictions from my annually-rewritten Correct Prediction Generator:

I have no idea who will sign where because I wasn't able to follow baseball for most of this season and part of the last, so would it be OK with you if I just use this generator to make my official guesses that I send in to tadashi?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Xenophon posted:

I have no idea who will sign where because I wasn't able to follow baseball for most of this season and part of the last, so would it be OK with you if I just use this generator to make my official guesses that I send in to tadashi?

Of course! I don't mind sharing first place :clint:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Xenophon posted:

Sounds good to me.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
this thing rules

code:
Player                  	Team                 	Confidence
Russell Martin (C)      	Houston Astros       	10
Adam LaRoche (1B/rf) 	        Los Angeles Dodgers  	12
Asdrubal Cabrera (ss/2B)	Milwaukee Brewers    	17
Jed Lowrie (ss)         	Kansas City Royals   	 7
Hanley Ramirez (ss/3b)  	Cleveland Indians    	13
Chase Headley (3b)      	Retired              	20
Pablo Sandoval (3b)     	Pittsburgh Pirates   	 5
Melky Cabrera (lf)      	Washington Nationals 	 3
Colby Rasmus (cf)       	Philadelphia Phillies	15
Nick Markakis (3b)      	San Diego Padres     	14
Nelson Cruz (rf/lf)     	Arizona Diamondbacks 	16
Torii Hunter (rf)       	Texas Rangers        	 9
Yasmany Tomas (rf)      	Retired              	 6
Hiroki Kuroda (sp)      	Baltimore Orioles    	 2
Jon Lester (sp)         	Chicago White Sox    	 4
Max Scherzer (sp)       	Cincinnati Reds      	18
James Shields (sp)      	Washington Nationals 	19
Andrew Bailey (rp)      	Texas Rangers        	 1
David Robertson (rp)    	Boston Red Sox       	 8
Rafael Soriano (rp)     	Colorado Rockies     	11

Kenta Maeda bids: 23
Yoenis Cespedes ST: Atlanta Braves

Chihiro Kaneko: No
Hector Olivera: Yes
Jose Fernandez: Yes
Chase Headley will retire

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had no idea how to run that thing. It looks cool though. Also Tomas retiring lol.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I've got 7 entries so far:

Kundu (or Kundus?)
Rand alPaul
Reformed Pissboy
Kim Jong Trill
Harlock
Xenophon - be sure to email me back about the Andrew Bailey/Andrew Miller change
seiferguy

I'll post the score sheet and entries when the first free agent signs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have sent an entry. I hope I get exactly one point.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I forgot to mention in the OP that I intended to score it like it has been done in the past where missing a guess means you lose that many points. Would this upset anyone? It makes the final scores a lot more fun. I'm learning here...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In that case I hope I get exactly -208 points.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

In that case I hope I get exactly -208 points.

I was going to point out that 1 point is really good but then I realize I sort of skimmed right over explaining scoring :downs:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Negative points own. Keep it that way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I probably would have changed my guesses a little bit had I known negative scoring was going to happen but this is for fun and my guesses are fun and negative scoring is fun so I think it doesn't really change anything in the end!

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Negative scoring all the way. I fully expect to end in the red.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Negative scoring all the way. I fully expect to end in the red.

I fully expect the winner to end in the red.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the last few guessing games have ended with the person who got the least amount of negative points. It's great.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Sent in my entry, hope I didn't mess anything up.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I think the last few guessing games have ended with the person who got the least amount of negative points. It's great.

I seem to recall placing 2nd or 3rd a year or two ago with a paltry -18 or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

So I did one thing right (I think?) by leaving VMart off the list because I thought him signing with the Tigers was way too easy for everybody who's picking for themselves.

• Locked thread